Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,196 members, 7,807,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

Short Story. Title: Stop Me - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story. Title: Stop Me (277 Views)

Story Title: The Kiss / Story Title ***I Couldn't Move On*** / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Short Story. Title: Stop Me by henry1500(m): 11:12am On Jul 31, 2020
He managed to get in, how he did it? I couldn't tell. Perhaps he had a spare key he carries about or kept it somewhere near his one bedroom apartment. Yes his house. He's my cousin I moved in with him. We've been getting along and things were fine.
He didn't look surprised when he saw me on verge of committing suicide. I was inches close to hooking the noose around my neck when he prowled in. He didn't pannick infact I haven't seen him calmer. He sat on his sofa and glowered at me. I wasn't shamefaced rather I made a stern eye contact. I knew he was disgusted. One of the several reasons was that. He took me into his house and I decided to pay him with suicide. I also understood then that he felt lucky for his acute intervention and if I had tried other options elsewhere. He might not be lucky enough to stop me. Who would want to lose a loved one through suicide.
He sat for some minutes glaring at me in disdain. That was well enough to stop my inane act. Then he said, "this isn't going to help you or anyone," he paused and continued placidly, "whether you like it or not there is a world beyond this one we live."
"I don't care," I shouted.
My cousin always compose himself. I consider him a Maverick. He had always advised me to put an end to my extravagant lifestyle. He never turned up for any night outing with me. He was well aware of my source; my paternal Uncle whom had been residing in SA sent me all the money to fund his building project but I squandered the larger part of the fund on prodigal living.
My uncle returned back from SA due to the xenophobic attacks to discover my larcenous act on his fund.
My whole family has condemned my actions. I admit, I was stupid. I couldn't bare it. I resolved in taking my life.
My shrewd cousin started his pensive talk again, “truly, for us living we can't tell for sure the way things will be after we die, but death is certainly not the end. Truly, if death is not the end, certainly our lives here have sinewy effect on the life beyond—”
“enough,” I interrupted. I was irritated I couldn't continue the ordeal and it pained me deeply more because he won't allow me continue than his Sotto voce speech. “I deserve to die.” I blurted with eyes oceaned by tears.
“If you die like this,” he started, pointing at me for the first time, “you won't only hurt us–Your family—and—friends more and also more dangerously yourself.” He paused, apparently doing a good work enslaving his tears. All that couldn't have stopped me to make another attempt.
“your life is in your hands right now,” he began again. “To make things right after your wrong. I believe after death you lose the control of everything. Your life, your journey, and so on. Now you still have the chance to make it right. Suicide will definitely make the great unknown menacingly torturous.”
I did drop the suicidal decision after that day not because I was scared of the afterlife but because I have the the chance to make things right struck me. story by Henry. Make your comments
Re: Short Story. Title: Stop Me by henry1500(m): 11:13am On Jul 31, 2020
Honest review and encouragement please

(1) (Reply)

Nonye or Ngozi - (Literary Fiction, Short Story) / . / Tip-sy Weekend: How Can I Get Work On Upwork???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.