Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,408 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:34 AM

Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) (4897 Views)

History Of Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba People In Rivers State By Prof. Eric Amadi / Facts About Benin Origin Of Ikwerre Tribe / Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 7:57am On Aug 02, 2020
Oriaku Amara wishes you all a happy new month.
I want to inform everyone here about the truthful origin and genesis of the Ikwerre identity crisis,
It didn't start because of the war, No rather it started from slave trade .
Ikwerre elders know this truth,
during the Aro Confederacy between the Arochukwus,Okrikas, and Ibibios , it was built on Slave trade and other products export,
it was a successful partnership that saw a lot of products coming in and going out through okrika waterways, no wonder Igbos call imported reused cloths "Okrika" to point to where it was imported through back in those days,
so the Aros captured a lot of innocent people
in the Ibo hinterlands and sold them through Okrika waterways , when the British banished slave trade ,they sent a task force to go and arrest those slave traders and free the slaves in cage waiting to be sold,
they came and arrested some Aro chiefs including some okrika chiefs who engaged in that evil trade and free those slaves in slavecamps waiting to be sold, since they can't remember where they came from ,they settled in etche forests and some okrika territories, those people are the IKWERRES,
they were later populated by etche, Ngwa, ngor okpuala migrants,
That is the origin why they started hating people from the Igbo hinterland where Aros came from for trying to sell them,
now when the British established port Harcourt for exportation of Enugu coal through rail , the Igbos from hinterlands populated the town which is 80% on Ikwerre land, the hinterland migrants were prospering and having Influence, the ikwerres hated it especially because or these descendants of people who sold some of their people to slave trade , the only way to revenge and take hold of port Harcourt is to deny being Igbo and hate anybody from the hinterland, the civil war gave them the perfect opportunity to implement it,
If you read Elechi Amadi works, he once cited that he has no problem with all Igbos or accepting being Igbo but He has an issue with Aros.
why? He knows the real truth,
The Akalaka and Benin forged migration story is used to beef up their battered self esteem , there is no atom of truth in it.
since 1967 The ikwerres have been fighting the truth till date yet they have not succeeded in burying the truth because nothing can defeat the truth.
This is the real origin of this whole identity brouhaha, Ask any very elderly Okrika man, he will confirm what I just wrote.
Dear Ikwerres, you are free to be whatever you want but You can NEVER be a distinct ethnic nation with Igboid identity, NEVER, drop it and go create your own, Simple.
I am not claiming you guys beside it is your son Rotimi Amaechi that goes about claiming being Igbo .
history is history, even the Ogonis and Ijaws know ur real history.

Oriaku Amara loves you all.

13 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 7:59am On Aug 02, 2020
cc: Ojiofor Igboid Mrvitalis Hopeathand Ikwerrepikin

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by FirstCounsel(m): 8:05am On Aug 02, 2020
Your write up tallies with other narratives I have heard about the Ikwerre identity crisis if I can call it that.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by sageb: 8:06am On Aug 02, 2020
Akalaka was no slave to anyone, rather in his sojourn, he married women from another tribe. So my Rivers sister, you are in a better position to tell the truth about the Ikwerre-Igbo dichotomy rather than the above claim.
Amarabae:
Oriaku Amara wishes you all a happy new month.
I want to inform everyone here about the truthful origin and genesis of the Ikwerre identity crisis,
It didn't start because of the war, No rather it started from slave trade .
Ikwerre elders know this truth,
during the Aro Confederacy between the Arochukwus,Okrikas, and Ibibios , it was built on Slave trade and other products export,
it was a successful partnership that saw a lot of products coming in and going out through okrika waterways, no wonder Igbos call imported reused cloths "Okrika" to point to where it was imported through back in those days,
so the Aros captured a lot of innocent people
in the Ibo hinterlands and sold them through Okrika waterways , when the British banished slave trade ,they sent a task force to go and arrest those slave traders and free the slaves in cage waiting to be sold,
they came and arrested some Aro chiefs including some okrika chiefs who engaged in that evil trade and free those slaves in slavecamps waiting to be sold, since they can't remember where they came from ,they settled in etche forests and some okrika territories, those people are the IKWERRES,
they were later populated by etche, Ngwa, ngor okpuala migrants,
That is the origin why they started hating people from the Igbo hinterland where Aros came from for trying to sell them,
now when the British established port Harcourt for exportation of Enugu coal through rail , the Igbos from hinterlands populated the town which is 80% on Ikwerre land, the hinterland migrants were prospering and having Influence, the ikwerres hated it especially because or these descendants of people who sold some of their people to slave trade , the only way to revenge and take hold of port Harcourt is to deny being Igbo and hate anybody from the hinterland, the civil war gave them the perfect opportunity to implement it,
If you read Elechi Amadi works, he once cited that he has no problem with all Igbos or accepting being Igbo but He has an issue with Aros.
why? He knows the real truth,
The Akalaka and Benin forged migration story is used to beef up their battered self esteem , there is no atom of truth in it.
since 1967 The ikwerres have been fighting the truth till date yet they have not succeeded in burying the truth because nothing can defeat the truth.
This is the real origin of this whole identity brouhaha, Ask any very elderly Okrika man, he will confirm what I just wrote.
Dear Ikwerres, you are free to be whatever you want but You can NEVER be a distinct ethnic nation with Igboid identity, NEVER, drop it and go create your own, Simple.
Oriaku Amara loves you all.
Akalaka was no slave to anyone, rather in his sojourn, he married women from another tribe. So my Rivers sister, you are in a better position to tell the truth about the Ikwerre-Igbo dichotomy rather than the above claim.
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by bigpriik: 8:08am On Aug 02, 2020
Stop all these Ikwere threads already angry
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Sammy07: 8:11am On Aug 02, 2020
Oriaku Amara ko, oracle Amatarasha ni.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:13am On Aug 02, 2020
What's this talk ...there is arochukwu settlement in ikwerri like every other Igbo nation

Amadioha shrine is in etche Rivers State

If they say they are not igbos good and fine I don't give too bleep

Ikwerri is landlocked and no oil ..so why do they think we want their land ...for what ?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Sammy07: 8:14am On Aug 02, 2020
Leave them to be whatever they want abeq.
Like I've always said, I as a Yoruba man.
I never heard anything like Ikewerre until I saw it here first on NL.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by ThatFairGuy1: 8:17am On Aug 02, 2020
ALWAYS FORCING MARRIAGE. It's normal, 5% can't win National election

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Devgru: 8:18am On Aug 02, 2020
I foresee trouble in this thread
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Sammy07: 8:19am On Aug 02, 2020
Devgru:
I foresee trouble in this thread

Epele Seer Devgru

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:19am On Aug 02, 2020
read the thread very well,I am not claiming them, I am trying to tell them their real history.
go and verify among the elderly Okrika people.
I am a Rivers woman , versed in history, proudly married to Anambra.
so anything SE or SS issue, I have right to speak

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by portacabin: 8:20am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:
What's this talk ...there is arochukwu settlement in ikwerri like every other Igbo nation

Ikwerri is landlocked and no oil ..so why do they think we want their land ...for what ?
ikwerre land has oil and its not landlocked

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:20am On Aug 02, 2020
Today ameachi is claiming Igbo ...but he forgot when he was called Igbo in abia and he took the mic and said I'm not Igbo but ikwerri

2011 ijaws youths came to owerri to beg for their fathers betraying igbos in the Biafra war today they are accusing us of killing them in the war they pushed ojuchkwu to start

Ibibio claim to be the bravisest army of biafra ...but turn to blame igbos for killing them

CBN governor gave south east CBN slot to and ika man ...but ikas says they are not not igbos

This back and front movement by south south to play with Igbo intelligence is getting too much ,
It's time igbos deal with this south south , and allow them play the national politics they want so bad

See what we are going through for supporting Jonathan ...do they appriciate ? ... infact lets form partnership with yorubas instead

Imagine ijaws saying igbos don't know how to pay politics ...I blame them ?

11 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Kiddo01(m): 8:20am On Aug 02, 2020
"Hunger " according to Barrack Obama bad pass Corona.
Na because of hunger make u post this trash abi?
Now let me as you, are you in position to dictate or tell individuals where they came from? Are you their maker? Have you not read from the Holy Bible the reason behind diversity in ethnic group and languages around the world?

I'd rather advice you to focus on being creative and avoid "chochocho"

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:22am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:

The Aro settlement there was created by pure Aro migrants in order not to be confused as Slave descendants like the rest of ikwerres.
I am not claiming them .

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:22am On Aug 02, 2020
portacabin:
ikwerre land has oil and its not landlocked
Oyigbo has more oil than all ikwerri land combined ..not to talk about egebama ...and this are all igbos in Rivers State

Tell me where ikwerre land touches the Atlantic ocean and get 50k ....abia is closer to the ocean than ikwerri

11 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:24am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:

The Aro settlement there was created by pure Aro migrants in order not to be confused as Slave descendants like the rest of ikwerres
Yes slaves are parts of not only ikwerri but opobo , Bonny , okrika , and ikwerri ...but people have always exited in the ikwerri land and by history are igbos .but if they say otherwise fine

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:25am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:

Yes slaves are parts of not only ikwerri but opobo , Bonny , okrika , and ikwerri ...but people have always exited in the ikwerri land and by history are igbos .but if they say otherwise fine

Ikwerre land originally belong to the okrikas and etches, They settled there due to slave trade.
stop arguing , many know their pathetic hiatory

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:28am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:

Ikwerre land originally belong to the okrikas and etches, They settled there due to slave trade.
okrika land stops at mile one fly over ... Diobu was ikwerri farm lands ...mile 4 people ...are party aro rumueme people ....but ikwerri lands have always been there no one can deny it ...

The igbos in okrika Morgan and ndubisi family are still proud of their Igbohood
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Kiddo01(m): 8:28am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:
read the thread very well,I am not claiming them, I am trying to tell them their real history.
go and verify among the elderly Okrika people.
I am a Rivers woman , versed in history, proudly married to Anambra.
so anything SE or SS issue, I have right to speak

Are you sure you're not confused, have you forgotten your previous post?
http://saharareporters.com/2017/06/27/gov-wike-rivers-state-not-part-biafra

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:31am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:
okrika land stops at mile one fly over ... Diobu was ikwerri farm lands ...mile 4 people ...are party aro rumueme people ....but ikwerri lands have always been there no one can deny it ...

The igbos in okrika Morgan and ndubisi family are still proud of their Igbohood
you are not understanding the argument here, stop derailing the post, we are here to discuss how these ikwerres came to be.
yes they are on their land , but before they settled there due to slave trade, which people own the land?
onu ugba

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:32am On Aug 02, 2020
Kiddo01:

Are you sure you're not confused, have you forgotten your previous post?
http://saharareporters.com/2017/06/27/gov-wike-rivers-state-not-part-biafra

I am seeing a link, not "my previous post" as you claimed

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by 4Play(m): 8:32am On Aug 02, 2020
I think this debate misses a salient point: Igbos are the Igbo speaking ethnic groups located in the geographical Southeast of Nigeria. Same goes for many ethnic groups including Yoruba.

The idea of referring to one's self as Igbo is a relatively modern phenomenon. 100 or 200 years ago, a person from Awka would state that they are from Awka and won't necessarily describe themselves as Igbo. The idea of a common ethnic identity was a byproduct of the formation of the Nigerian state. People who shared a common language unified to better compete, as they saw it, in the face of burgeoning ethnicity driven rivalries. So whether a person/ group recognises that they are Igbo, it's somewhat neither here nor there as the nomenclatural designation of Igbo is more a linguistic marker than a biological fact.

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:33am On Aug 02, 2020
sageb:
Akalaka was no slave to anyone, rather in his sojourn, he married women from another tribe. So my Rivers sister, you are in a better position to tell the truth about the Ikwerre-Igbo dichotomy rather than the above claim. Akalaka was no slave to anyone, rather in his sojourn, he married women from another tribe. So my Rivers sister, you are in a better position to tell the truth about the Ikwerre-Igbo dichotomy rather than the above claim.
Akalaka never existed, it was forged during the war,
ignore the Benin migration crap

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:34am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:

you are not understanding the argument here, stop derailing the post, we are here to discuss how these ikwerres came to be.
yes they are on their land , but before they settled there due to slave trade, which people own the land?
onu ugba
Slave trade happened roughly 200 years ago ...u can't develop a unique Igbo language and culture with several sub dialects in 200 years

Etche language is far from ikwerri ....ikwerri is closer to owerri if u listen well
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by sageb: 8:34am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:

Oyigbo has more oil than all ikwerri land combined ..not to talk about egebama ...and this are all igbos in Rivers State

Tell me where ikwerre land touches the Atlantic ocean and get 50k ....abia is closer to the ocean than ikwerri
so all these attachment is because of oil. This shows your selfish nature, the reason why no one trust you guys and your attachee by force.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Amarabae(f): 8:37am On Aug 02, 2020
mrvitalis:

Slave trade happened roughly 200 years ago ...u can't develop a unique Igbo language and culture with several sub dialects in 200 years

Etche language is far from ikwerri ....ikwerri is closer to owerri if u listen well
is Ikwerre a distinct language? what is ur point?
I didn't say that they speak same dialect with etche, don't misquote me,
we are here to discuss their real history, don't quote me again,
you behave like efulefu sometimes, go and learn the ethics of ethnic politics in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:39am On Aug 02, 2020
sageb:
so all these attachment is because of oil. This shows your selfish nature, the reason why no one trust you guys and your attachee by force.
We are not attaching to anyone ....I for one hear have always believed ..that locals should be allowed to control their oil ....oil is nothing

All Nigeria oil is less than 15 billion dollars per year .....

Many companies make far more than that in a year Bros ....ABA show industry can rack in twice that if we get our own country and economy

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Tranquill: 8:41am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:

You that is osu do not harbor such hatred for your so called brethren's that have dedicated you to their shrine, why would an Ikwerre man have such hatred? Ikwerre people say they are not Igbos and you choose to hate them then turn around to accuse them of hating you, doesn't that manifest the dubious nature you guys are known for? Go ask your forefathers why they were coming to do 'boyboy' work for people you think were sold as slaves. Opening threads on nairaland everyday for the sake of disparaging Ikwerre only shows how bitter you guys are but it will not stop you from doing your Biafra with your five Eastern states only.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by Obalatule: 8:42am On Aug 02, 2020
Ikwerre Is inconsequential in the face of the larger Igbo ethnic group, they ain't sh!t.. with their 3 and half local governments grin...Their So called ikwerre festival of arts and culture has been a total flop back to back, My village general meetings has a better organisation...... Within themselves they are highly divided, their only unity is found in Igbo hatred and sharing of free money here and there
Re: Origin Of Ikwerre Denial Of Igbo Root! (A Political View) by mrvitalis(m): 8:42am On Aug 02, 2020
Amarabae:

is Ikwerre a distinct language? what is ur point?
I didn't say that they speak same dialect with etche, don't misquote me,
we are here to discuss their real history, don't quote me again,
you behave like efulefu sometimes, go and learn the ethics of ethnic politics in Nigeria.
See if ikwerris say and accept they are igbos I would be the first to welcome them
.....I'm from mbaise ...what have igbos done to ikwerri that mbaise have not gotten 5 times more ? Tell me ? ......are they hated more than mbaise ?

They should sort themselves out

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Deadly Cannon That Paved The Way For British Invasion Of Lagos / America Returns 11 Cultural Artifacts To Nigeria / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.