Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:34 PM

'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade (779 Views)

China Complains As US Destroyer, Ralph Johnson Warship Navigates Taiwan Strait / Donald Trump Complains As Result Tilt Towards Biden's Favour / Trump Complains Obama Has More Twitter Followers Than Him, Jack Dorsey Replies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by Makanakico(f): 2:22pm On Aug 02, 2020
(CNN) Lamenting his plunging popularity this week, a self-pitying President Donald Trump wondered how it all went wrong.

"Nobody likes me," he said, confounded at how his administration's health experts could be receiving accolades while he is accused of ignoring and denying the raging public health crisis.

"It can only be my personality," Trump said, "that's all."

That's one answer.

In a week that saw a devastating global pandemic worsen, a record economic meltdown confirmed and an all-out bid to stoke racial tensions for political gain deepen, Trump is finding himself more and more the odd man out: absent and detached from the leadership of either party, locked in antique cultural battles and increasingly unpopular among voters.

By Friday, the President's blunt assessment of his own popularity seemed to have manifested in a litany of other ways:

Even his staunchest Republican allies flatly rejected his suggestion that November's voting be delayed, some actually laughing at what, by most accounts, was a serious (if toothless) proposal from the President to undermine the election.
The nation's civic leadership, including three of Trump's four living predecessors, gathered without him in Atlanta to honor the late Rep. John Lewis, making the sitting president's absence conspicuous if unsurprising.
Stimulus talks on Capitol Hill have proceeded almost entirely without his participation, and have been notable mainly for the disarray they have exposed among Republicans, many of whom were unpleasantly surprised to learn the President's demand for a new FBI building was included in the final proposal.
In a closed door hearing on Friday, intelligence officials working in Trump's own administration discounted the possibility of foreign countries mass-producing fake ballots to interfere in the November elections -- a claim Trump seemed to be making simultaneously from the Cabinet Room.
And the concerted push by Trump to delegitimize mail-in ballots is raising alarm bells among Republican operatives, who are worried the President's demand for in-person voting will mainly serve to dampen turnout among his own supporters.
Trump's attempts to regain standing have only exacerbated the divorce and led to worries he is weighing down his party's ability to move forward. Long dismissive of the Washington establishment, Trump has shown little concern at how his moves are forcing allies into awkward positions or alienating himself from longstanding norms.

Far from a mere difference of "personality," the examples of "nobody liking" Trump this week suggested a President actively isolating himself in his own bubble of conspiracy theories and questionable science, with fewer and fewer people willing to step inside to join him.

In an attempt to boost his mood, Trump's advisers scrambled to assemble a scaled-down political event on a baking Florida tarmac on Friday, where Trump addressed a mostly mask-less crowd standing inches from one another. Other events in the state that Trump had scheduled for Saturday were canceled as a storm approached.

The event illustrated what White House officials describe as an ad-hoc effort to schedule appearances for Trump that allow him to bask in at least some adulation as his campaign rallies remain on hold and after an in-person convention acceptance speech was scuttled.

White House officials are still weighing their options for how Trump will formally accept the nomination, one person familiar with the planning said, including assessing sites around the country where he might deliver a prime-time address. Yet the task has proven difficult as Trump insists upon something dramatic while aides work to temper some of his expectations about the scale of the potential venues.

Aides say Trump has grown to recognize the extreme political peril he's created for himself less than 100 days until the election. When he speaks with friends, his grievances are long and his complaints are ample but his willingness or to alter course seems minimal, according to people who have spoken to him.

Trump has voiced versions of "nobody likes me" for the past several months, those people said, describing an in-the-dumps president brought low by a pandemic he feels he has little ability to control.

Speaking Thursday, Trump appeared resigned to the fact that coronavirus case counts will continue spiking, and said it's probably not anyone's fault, least of all his.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/01/politics/donald-trump-allies-election/index.html?__twitter_impression=true
Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by Makanakico(f): 2:23pm On Aug 02, 2020
Lalasticilala see this
Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 02, 2020
undecided I can't read stories.....
my eyes won't allow me.
that is Trump's problem.

1 Like

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by gawu1: 2:50pm On Aug 02, 2020
Trump should stop worrying himself about 'no body likes me'. Let all Americans hate him, the consolation is that Ipobian pigs of Nigeria with no right to votes at any America's election like him and will vote for him en masses.

6 Likes

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by MadamExcellency: 2:55pm On Aug 02, 2020
The junk journalism from fake news CNN doesn't worth reading.

The news outlet no longer report news and allow their viewers to make informed opinions rather they assemble bunch of leftists and Marxist opinionists to report fake irrelevant information.

CNN: The Government should protect the black child from the evil white supremecist child. CNN will not inform their viewers that they are twins.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by Balogunodua(m): 3:51pm On Aug 02, 2020
Trump should calm down grin votes are coming from Aba and Onitcha cheesy we Igbos will vote him to be President again cheesy just like we voted in AtikuObi grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by salford1: 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2020
MadamExcellency:
The junk journalism from fake news CNN doesn't worth reading.

The news outlet no longer report news and allow their viewers to make informed opinions rather they assemble bunch of leftists and Marxist opinionists to report fake irrelevant information.

CNN: The Government should protect the black child from the evil white supremecist child. CNN will not inform their viewers that they are twins.
Fox news.

6 Likes

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by Unnerve: 4:02pm On Aug 02, 2020
I'm finding this hard to believe. Is he breaking down already? cheesy

Trump's ego is much too big to allow him say such defeatist things about himself.

I want to see a video, not what some reporter wrote. Lol
Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by abduljabbar4(m): 6:51pm On Aug 02, 2020
I have always said that Trump is a shameless liar. What happened to the millions of ipob pigs that are supporting you? No amount of rigging can help Biden when ipob is behind Trump the messiah

8 Likes

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by MadamExcellency: 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2020
salford1:

Fox news.

Stop quoting sensational headlines in 2020.

Context and narratives are indispensable
Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by salford1: 9:40pm On Aug 03, 2020
MadamExcellency:

[s]Stop quoting sensational headlines in 2020.

Context and narratives are indispensable [/s]
Argue with your keyboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gOqpR9PN1M

4 Likes

Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by reccy(m): 5:16am On Aug 04, 2020
Has anybody ever liked you before? You better sit up and face your challenges instead of looking for people to like you.
Re: 'nobody Likes Me,' Trump Complains, As Even His Allies Fade by PHAYOL81: 5:02pm On Aug 05, 2020
I reserve my comment about this until after the election. I want to know if truly some certain people's support is a big CURSE. Let's see what the result at the booth unravel before jumping into conclusion, anyway.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are Barbados People So Hardworking / Late Tanzanian President Might Be The Best In Africa, See His Achievement So Far / Kemi Badenoch And 7 Others Scale First Hurdle In Race To Be Uk's Next PM

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.