Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

No More Joy In Driving - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / No More Joy In Driving (4731 Views)

6 Things You Should Have Learned In Driving School / Why Is The Mirror Important In Driving? / Theoritical Aspect In Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 10:31am On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I agree with you.

Nigeria’s problem are Nigerians.

I especially like the countries that you used for example. Some will leap to start comparing to USA and UK. But many African countries are now getting it.

You are right.

I was in Kenya some years ago, had a walk around during the evening. Got to a road with traffic lights, needed to cross. All vehicles stopped when it turned red to allow those on foot to cross. I hesitated for a while, thinking that someone may want to beat the traffic light. But this didn't happen....

Here in Abuja, some motorists beat traffic lights in broad daylight and it is worse at night. Here in Abuja, Traffic Wardens do man some traffic lights just to apprehend those who beat the lights. Some persons are just lawless....

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by ogbuefi677(m): 10:52am On Aug 03, 2020
uboma:

The words in bold shows that you are either ignorant of the root causes of the problems or simply living in denial.

Why do you need those in authority/law enforcement to tell you to do the right thing?

Our leaders have their issues but what about you and I? There are things we can choose to do right or choose to do wrongly. Do we need Traffic Wardens to still man traffic lights? Do we need FRSC/VIO/Police to man the roads to ensure that you and I always maintain our lanes, use indicators when trying to overtake the next vehicle, stop tailgating e.t.c?

Travel to Kenya and Rwanda and see that their citizens and visitors are law abiding.
There is nothing like ignorance here the only deterrence to bad behaviour is law enforcement and punishment.
Let me give you a scenario,imagine what would've happened if buhari insisted on prosecution of Abba Kyari during the MTN bribe saga,speedily tries him and have him jailed?
Then Aisha Buhari's brother steals and is again jailed with d same measures applied to both small and big thieves.
Automatically, both the big thieves and small thieves will sit up,some will even resign and face private business cos govt job will no longer be profitable .
The people abroad who behave well do so because the law has been applied without fear or favour for generations and good behaviour has now become a habit while here,we are getting worse in all forms of corruption and have flouted the law generation to generation without consequences.
Why do the same people who jump queues(both big man and small man)here patiently wait for their turn whenever they are abroad?Because they know "do you know who you are talking to or let me call my brother who is AIG" won't work over.
If govt starts enforcing even the minor rules of driving like lane violation etc everyone will buy and read highway code overnight and behave.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Joy In Driving by DAVE5(m): 11:03am On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You understand exactly what I’m upset about.

I’m grateful and appreciative that I’m retired and can live almost anywhere in the world. I really don’t have to deal with the nonsense.

It’s the people, not the government.

I understand perfectly, had a headache from driving on Saturday not cos of the stress of driving but cos of the unusual driving habits of people I shared the road with that very day

Me, I enjoy driving so I don't think I'll be giving up soon, Las Las we go all dey aiit

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by DAVE5(m): 11:10am On Aug 03, 2020
ogbuefi677:

There is nothing like ignorance here the only deterrence to bad behaviour is law enforcement and punishment.
Let me give you a scenario,imagine what would've happened if buhari insisted on prosecution of Abba Kyari during the MTN bribe saga,speedily tries him and have him jailed?
Then Aisha Buhari's brother steals and is again jailed with d same measures applied to both small and big thieves.
Automatically, both the big thieves and small thieves will sit up,some will even resign and face private business cos govt job will no longer be profitable .
The people abroad who behave well do so because the law has been applied without fear or favour for generations and good behaviour has now become a habit while here,we are getting worse in all forms of corruption and have flouted the law generation to generation without consequences.
Why do the same people who jump queues(both big man and small man)here patiently wait for their turn whenever they are abroad?Because they know "do you know who you are talking to or let me call my brother who is AIG" won't work over.
If govt starts enforcing even the minor rules of driving like lane violation etc everyone will buy and read highway code overnight and behave.

You do have a point sir...

Nigeria is a lawless country or simply put; the law doesn't take its cause cos WE ALL as a people are morally bankrupt to the point where if you try to act normal, you appear as abnormal

Well, I have hope for the country, always do the right things and live upright, you might infect others with your good character

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2020
ogbuefi677:

FRSC/VIO are doing these already, may not be on a full scale yet. But lemme ask,

Have you had to dodge FRSC/VIO when driving because you remembered that your Vehicle/Driver's license is expired?

Have you bribed any of them in the past to overlook your offence and let you go?

Is your vehicle road worthy with the certificate issued to you by VIO after carrying comprehensive checks on your vehicle?

My point is, before the FRSC/VIO attain the stage of booking every road offender, you and I need to play our own roles. Michael Jackson of blessed memory sang that 'change must begin from the man/woman you see in the mirror'.

Do the right thing and maybe others behind you may choose to follow your footsteps. Just because there are no measures in place to book every road traffic offender does not justify our actions to act crazy when on the road.

P.S

We are not discussing politics here.

3 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by nurey(m): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2020
we are all here hammering on what the problem is, which we all know but nobody has proffered a "SOLUTION" to the problem.

We need solutions to our problems not constant reminder of the issues on ground
Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 11:45am On Aug 03, 2020
nurey:
we are all here hammering on what the problem is, which we all know but nobody has proffered a "SOLUTION" to the problem.

We need solutions to our problems not constant reminder of the issues on ground

I disagree with you.

It’s not my job to come up with solutions.

That’s why we have elected official and fund a government.

The only place that I have to find a solution for is my sole proprietor company and my commune.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by promotervickky(m): 11:46am On Aug 03, 2020
The causes rained down on you by motorists and co are just alarming.

What can we do?
Re: No More Joy In Driving by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:56am On Aug 03, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Correct. It's nothing to do with Nigerians, it's everything to do with the system. The system itself is unable to uphold rule of law.

Law that isn't enforced is useless. Thinking humans will simply act according to your definition of "what is right" at the detriment of themselves is, at best, silly, and at worst, delusional. People go do wetin sweet them. That's human nature. It's up to the law to direct them.

Like you said, even abroad people break traffic and road laws. Some cities are worse than others in the US. What's the difference? Law enforcement.

6 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by asamwababy: 11:58am On Aug 03, 2020
uboma:

FRSC/VIO are doing these already, may not be on a full scale yet. But lemme ask,

Have you had to dodge FRSC/VIO when driving because you remembered that your Vehicle/Driver's license is expired?

P.S

We are not discussing politics here.

Pls speak for your self and stop generalizing and dragging other Nigerians into this mess.

Some of us do have respect for the rule of law.

Driving manners is the least of our worry and if anyone wants to relocate cos of that then so be it grin

Complain complain complain, okay bring solution now another complain again.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by nurey(m): 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I disagree with you.

It’s not my job to come up with solutions.

That’s why we have elected official and fund a government.

The only place that I have to find a solution for is my sole proprietor company and my commune.

but the masses are part of government, if we as individuals can't profer working solution that the government can utilize, then the same problem is passed down from generation to generation
Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 12:08pm On Aug 03, 2020
asamwababy:

Pls speak for your self and stop generalizing and dragging other Nigerians into this mess.

Some of us do have respect for the rule of law.

Driving manners is the least of our worry and if anyone wants to relocate cos of that then so be it grin

Complain complain complain, okay bring solution now another complain again.

Read my comments on the thread again, slowly this time so you can comprehend.

I never implied that all Nigerians are road traffic offenders.

Why not, you can join the bandwagon of those who wish to relocate out of Nigeria because of the road traffic offenders. I wish you and them safe trips.

Read again my comments here and you will find that the solution to these seemingly increasing problem borders first on attitudinal change......

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by asamwababy: 12:14pm On Aug 03, 2020
uboma:

Read my comments on the thread again, slowly this time so you can comprehend.

I never implied that all Nigerians are road traffic offenders.

Why not, you can join the bandwagon of those who wish to relocate out of Nigeria because of the road traffic offenders. I wish you and them safe trips.

Read again my comments here and you will find that the solution to these seemingly increasing problem borders first on attitudinal change......

I cant comprehend cos you re speaking from both sides of your mouth now.

Not interested.Good luck to those who want to do do that.Is that hard to understand?
Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 12:44pm On Aug 03, 2020
nurey:

but the masses are part of government, if we as individuals can't profer working solution that the government can utilize, then the same problem is passed down from generation to generation

I understand your position.

Maybe it’s a Nigerian thing but we should be voting for and putting people in places where they’ll make society better.

Why do we have local, state and federal government when the average joe like me still has to come up with the solutions.

On another note, lots of government officials visit the USA. They are educated. They see good things.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by demolagilbert: 1:49pm On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’m just done with the lack of respect for the rule of law as regards to driving.

Once Covid travel restrictions are over then I’ll go tour Rwanda and Gambia for a potential relocation. Nigerians are ungovernable.
some of us will certainly value your feedback on the quoted.

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by BamBamK: 2:02pm On Aug 03, 2020
Perhaps, u should consider Ilorin alternatives.... both r close to Ibadan.

EgunMogaji2:

Not true.

I have never heard of one Nigerian leaving because of motoring challenges.

If I can’t live in Ibadan then Nigeria is not for me.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by 9icetoo(m): 2:08pm On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

The straw that broke the camels back.

Yesterday I was coming home in very light traffic.

There are cars parked on both sides making the road narrow. Still passable with diligence.

The car in my front wanted to turn left so he had to wait for oncoming traffic to give way. They didn’t give way and behind us the oncoming traffic was also blocked. Now no one is moving and here comes the inferno of vehicle horns.

The minute we started inching forward some maniac Okada rider managed to wedge himself and his bike in between my truck and a parked car. You would expect a sane individual to apologize but he asked me if I was blind.

If this was the average lunatic doped up commercial rider I would not be fazed since those are on a suicidal mission. But this is an older and well dressed gentleman.

If this man didn’t know the proper riding protocols then it’s a lost cause.
grin grin
Welcome to my world.

I've been hammering on this topic for so long.
Nigerian road users, including pedestrians are so lawless.
They are oblivious and even when they are aware willingly choose to break all road and traffic regulations.
I repeat, including pedestrians.

Sad to see this has cost you your joy in driving.

Frsc, police, Vio etc are all complicit in this rubbish.

Just three days ago, a korope bus tried to overtake me from the right at oyingbo. Our side mirrors collided.
He knocked down a Jay walker who I was avoiding (reason for the space on my right).

Now you won't believe this. A. Frsc officer was there. Right there. I came down from my vehicle to inspect my vehicle and complain to the frsc official.
The idiot opened his mouth and told me to move along. That I was causing obstruction.
That my car wasn't damaged. Therefore I should move along.
The pedestrian who was nearly hit was staring at the frsc officer in disbelief.

I shook my head, entered my car and drove off.
The korope driver turns out to be a nurtw union official and was on a first name basis with the frsc official.

Obviously he gets his kickback at the end of the day from the nurtw personnel.

3 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by legionISproteus: 5:34pm On Aug 03, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Hehehehehe.
I remembered once having a spat with you cos you advocated for Biafra agitators to be shot grin
Glad you are back full time and have had time to notice Nigeria as presently constituted is irredeemable.
I'm sure it's a combination of many other factors including electricity,ease of doing business,bribery and corruption,perennial bad roads etc that's making you think of running away from your fatherland.
Those who are among d few looters or lucky in their enterprise might say otherwise in their short sightedness but that's d honest truth.
Ppl who live in the Nyanya-Maraba-Masaka axis of Abuja have to spend 2-3 hrs on their way home everyday on a less than 20km stretch cos the commercial drivers there don't have d discipline to not park on the road while discharging or carrying new passengers.
The law enforcement agents on duty there further exploit the situation by collecting 50 naira per erring vehicle.
But once in a while when one big man gets caught up in that traffic and complains,traffic suddenly becomes free flowing for the next 1 week,then,back to status quo.
Abeg, Abuja people, this Apo expressway (kabusa junction) wetin dey happen? That road needs to be expanded and completed but it's like no one cares. Do you want Elrufai back?
Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 5:36pm On Aug 03, 2020
9icetoo:

grin grin
Welcome to my world.

I've been hammering on this topic for so long.
Nigerian road users, including pedestrians are so lawless.
They are oblivious and even when they are aware willingly choose to break all road and traffic regulations.
I repeat, including pedestrians.

Sad to see this has cost you your joy in driving.

Frsc, police, Vio etc are all complicit in this rubbish.

Just three days ago, a korope bus tried to overtake me from the right at oyingbo. Our side mirrors collided.
He knocked down a Jay walker who I was avoiding (reason for the space on my right).

Now you won't believe this. A. Frsc officer was there. Right there. I came down from my vehicle to inspect my vehicle and complain to the frsc official.
The idiot opened his mouth and told me to move along. That I was causing obstruction.
That my car wasn't damaged. Therefore I should move along.
The pedestrian who was nearly hit was staring at the frsc officer in disbelief.

I shook my head, entered my car and drove off.
The korope driver turns out to be a nurtw union official and was on a first name basis with the frsc official.

Obviously he gets his kickback at the end of the day from the nurtw personnel.

It wasn’t a decision that I reached lightly. But the lack of indiscipline is stratospherical.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 5:40pm On Aug 03, 2020
BamBamK:
Perhaps, u should consider Ilorin alternatives.... both r close to Ibadan.

Ibadan is a strategic location for me. I can wiggle my way to MMA quickly if shyte hits the fan.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 5:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
demolagilbert:
some of us will certainly value your feedback on the quoted.

I’ll do that. I’m following some Black Americans who I follow on YouTube and Twitter who did this and learning from them. But nothing beats first hand experience.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by nurey(m): 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Ibadan is a strategic location for me. I can wiggle my way to MMA quickly if shyte hits the fan.

if shyte hits the fan you are not going anywhere, your coordinate has been locked grin we die here together tongue

But on a lighter note sir, at your age you shouldn't be afraid of the worst you have lived life more than most of us would only dream of grin

like barrister would say "Mori aye, mo sa fun aye, eru Eda ma ba mi" etc etc

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by kingreign(m): 6:20pm On Aug 03, 2020
nurey:

if shyte hits the fan you are not going anywhere, your coordinate has been locked grin we die here together tongue

But on a lighter note sir, at your age you shouldn't be afraid of the worst you have lived life more than most of us would only dream of grin

shocked sad undecided
Re: No More Joy In Driving by sultaan(m): 8:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
The light is coming on slowly.
You see, now think and propose solution.
If you decide to run for a local office the you can start changing your immediate environment.

If all the roads have lanes and the pedestrian traffic is clearly separated from vehicular traffic then these problems will thin out.
Remove check points and road block and see traffic flow. those choke points are where landlords collect tolls and the beginning of failures

FYI Ibadan is still heaven for roads when compared to Lagos.
I stayed in Magboro when in Lagos and had to deal with the Karan bridge renovation daily.
I went to Ifo to meet an old classmate and could not believe my eyes when compard to 20years old memory of Ifo road and bread.
Won't even dare to continue to Abeokuta to see my aunt on that road.
Went to second rainbow along Oshodi expressway saw road hell and plenty feces on side of road by tanker drivers living on that road

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 8:30pm On Aug 03, 2020
nurey:

Ogbeni, gba gbe. Ma japa danu. Emi ti mo ti mo ona awon smugglers ni Idi Iroko grin

3 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by sultaan(m): 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2020
Have you considered taking a 2 weeks vacation in Lome, Togo.
You will curse Nigeria
they speak Yoruba, and could be the home in Africa you are looking for.

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by asamwababy: 10:47pm On Aug 03, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Correct. It's nothing to do with Nigerians, it's everything to do with the system. The system itself is unable to uphold rule of law.

Law that isn't enforced is useless. Thinking humans will simply act according to your definition of "what is right" at the detriment of themselves is, at best, silly, and at worst, delusional. People go do wetin sweet them. That's human nature. It's up to the law to direct them.

Like you said, even abroad people break traffic and road laws. Some cities are worse than others in the US. What's the difference? Law enforcement.

Well said.

Even with all their law enforcement, the world still relies on them for accidented vehicles grin

Common sense is not common.Hence the reason why laws have to be made and enforced.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by BamBamK: 9:12am On Aug 04, 2020
that's true
grin grin grin grin

EgunMogaji2:

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by searchng4love: 10:05am On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’m just done with the lack of respect for the rule of law as regards to driving.

Once Covid travel restrictions are over then I’ll go tour Rwanda and Gambia for a potential relocation. Nigerians are ungovernable.
Cc lexusgs430
Re: No More Joy In Driving by searchng4love: 10:07am On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Not true.

I have never heard of one Nigerian leaving because of motoring challenges.

If I can’t live in Ibadan then Nigeria is not for me.
Ok. When are you boarding your properties?
Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 11:07am On Aug 04, 2020
searchng4love:

Ok. When are you boarding your properties?

I don’t understand the question perfectly.

Thanks.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by searchng4love: 11:17am On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I don’t understand the question perfectly.

Thanks.
Your Ibadan property when are you putting them up for sale

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Need Advice As Regards Purchasing A Lexus RX 300 / My Budget Is 800-900k And I Need These Cars Pls Advice / Why Do We Use Klin/omo Detergent To Wash Cars In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.