Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,356 members, 7,800,715 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

No More Joy In Driving - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / No More Joy In Driving (4712 Views)

6 Things You Should Have Learned In Driving School / Why Is The Mirror Important In Driving? / Theoritical Aspect In Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 11:22am On Aug 04, 2020
searchng4love:

Your Ibadan property when are you putting them up for sale

I have no intention on doing that and in fact I’m increasing them.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by eherbal(m): 11:33am On Aug 04, 2020
radautoworks:

Tried to tell ya
a victim I presume?grin
Re: No More Joy In Driving by ogbuefi677(m): 12:11pm On Aug 04, 2020
9icetoo:

grin grin
Welcome to my world.

I've been hammering on this topic for so long.
Nigerian road users, including pedestrians are so lawless.
They are oblivious and even when they are aware willingly choose to break all road and traffic regulations.
I repeat, including pedestrians.

Sad to see this has cost you your joy in driving.

Frsc, police, Vio etc are all complicit in this rubbish.

Just three days ago, a korope bus tried to overtake me from the right at oyingbo. Our side mirrors collided.
He knocked down a Jay walker who I was avoiding (reason for the space on my right).

Now you won't believe this. A. Frsc officer was there. Right there. I came down from my vehicle to inspect my vehicle and complain to the frsc official.
The idiot opened his mouth and told me to move along. That I was causing obstruction.
That my car wasn't damaged. Therefore I should move along.
The pedestrian who was nearly hit was staring at the frsc officer in disbelief.

I shook my head, entered my car and drove off.
The korope driver turns out to be a nurtw union official and was on a first name basis with the frsc official.

Obviously he gets his kickback at the end of the day from the nurtw personnel.

I find ubo.ma's argument nauseating.
Everyone will flout the law or cut corners if they're sure there's no consequence including the almighty Americans and our brothers in Rwanda.
The same drivers that behave like angels inside Abuja town become demons when they get to Maraba which is 10km away from Abuja b/c they know law enforcement agents are staring at them every 200meters inside Abuja town.
If FRSC starts prosecuting everyone for even minor traffic offences like lane violation,overtaking from the right,even the illiterate okada drivers will sit up by force and by the next 10yrs you will have a population of well behaved drivers all over the nation.

3 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by searchng4love: 1:52pm On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I have no intention on doing that and in fact I’m increasing them.
No point. Sell. I'll fulfill your dreams of knocking fathia up in your building with twins
Re: No More Joy In Driving by radautoworks: 3:28pm On Aug 04, 2020
eherbal:
a victim I presume?grin

Nah, me I already had road rage from Amelica grin

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by BamBamK: 4:14pm On Aug 04, 2020
loool

radautoworks:

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by larryking540: 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Nothing really happened. It’s just a cumulative effect of wanton disregard for rules of driving.
nigeria is the worst place to drive ,who ever has stayed overseas and drove on their high way ,will find it difficulty to drive on 9ja road ,
Re: No More Joy In Driving by adanny01(m): 6:31pm On Aug 04, 2020
finofaya:

Boss I feel your pain. Driving here has given me this fantasy about becoming the FRSC boss. If I get that job Nigerians go just kill me last last cos they no go fit understand me. I will enforce even lane departure and lack of turn signal with hefty fine and imprisonment. Lack of road worthiness = firing squad. People here drive like everyone else is their enemy from village smh. I've given up on driving with righteousness cos people, commercial bus, keke and bike in particular, go bash you out of spite come begin beg. Now I just consider my time plus panel beater and painter expenses.

You will be surprised that as FRSC boss, you will not bee able to get your own FRSC driver to obey the laws once you turn your back.

The FRSC officers will close from work and drive worst than keke Napep drivers.

I seriously don't blame Buhari for all the silence and acting dumb, that's just the way to make meaningful progress in Nigeria.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by adanny01(m): 6:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

You understand exactly what I’m upset about.

I’m grateful and appreciative that I’m retired and can live almost anywhere in the world. I really don’t have to deal with the nonsense.

It’s the people, not the government.

Majority of Nigerians think the government is not working, who is the government? The people are the government. We get exactly what we are.

Until we learn how to do things right, the people in government won't learn to do it right.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by adanny01(m): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2020
ogbuefi677:

There is nothing like ignorance here the only deterrence to bad behaviour is law enforcement and punishment.
Let me give you a scenario,imagine what would've happened if buhari insisted on prosecution of Abba Kyari during the MTN bribe saga,speedily tries him and have him jailed?
Then Aisha Buhari's brother steals and is again jailed with d same measures applied to both small and big thieves.
Automatically, both the big thieves and small thieves will sit up,some will even resign and face private business cos govt job will no longer be profitable .
The people abroad who behave well do so because the law has been applied without fear or favour for generations and good behaviour has now become a habit while here,we are getting worse in all forms of corruption and have flouted the law generation to generation without consequences.
Why do the same people who jump queues(both big man and small man)here patiently wait for their turn whenever they are abroad?Because they know "do you know who you are talking to or let me call my brother who is AIG" won't work over.
If govt starts enforcing even the minor rules of driving like lane violation etc everyone will buy and read highway code overnight and behave.

Regards to the bolded.

Who are the law enforcers? Are they not Nigerians?

It is the same Nigerian that breaks the law, another Nigerian is responsible for enforcement but doesn't, another Nigerian is responsible for punishment but doesn't. The circle continues until the whole system breaks down to complete breakdown of law and order which is the situation right now.

What do you expect Buhari to do? Order the police to do their jobs? Order the judiciary to do their jobs? Is Buhari the IG of police or CJN.

Buhari, is not responsible for anyone other than than himself.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2020
searchng4love:

No point. Sell. I'll fulfill your dreams of knocking fathia up in your building with twins

Sell ke?

Well I intend to turn over unprofitable housing but not having a fire sale.

That I may relocate doesn't mean that I am giving up on Nigeria. I may not live in it for long periods.

As long as it's still in Mama Africa, I'm good.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by ogbuefi677(m): 7:07pm On Aug 04, 2020
adanny01:

Regards to the bolded.

It is the same Nigerian that breaks the law, another Nigerian is responsible for enforcement but doesn't, another Nigerian is responsible for punishment but doesn't. The circle continues until the whole system breaks down to complete breakdown of law and order which is the situation right now.
Bros,d taxi drivers that behave anyhow in Maraba comport themselves like Catholic seminarians whenever they drive into Abuja proper.Even in busy areas like Wuse market, they comport themselves wella cos police,VIO are at every pole.
That's d power of law enforcement.
I don't need to go on and on about this.

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by adanny01(m): 8:51pm On Aug 04, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Bros,d taxi drivers that behave anyhow in Maraba comport themselves like Catholic seminarians whenever they drive into Abuja proper.Even in busy areas like Wuse market, they comport themselves wella cos police,VIO are at every pole.
That's d power of law enforcement.
I don't need to go on and on about this.

What does that tell you about law enforcement in Nigeria?

Does that mean that Maraba and Nyanya axis don't have law enforcement officers?

The law enforcers inside Abj centre know they risk their jobs so they comport themselves too and do their jobs. They also do it as eye service to deceive those highly placed govt officials that their immediate environment is free of law 1breakers but in the real sense 95% of Nigerians are law breakers even the law makers and enforcers inclusive.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by kowalsky: 2:27am On Aug 05, 2020
uboma:

The words in bold shows that you are either ignorant of the root causes of the problems or simply living in denial.

Why do you need those in authority/law enforcement to tell you to do the right thing?

Our leaders have their issues but what about you and I? There are things we can choose to do right or choose to do wrongly. Do we need Traffic Wardens to still man traffic lights? Do we need FRSC/VIO/Police to man the roads to ensure that you and I always maintain our lanes, use indicators when trying to overtake the next vehicle, stop tailgating e.t.c?

Travel to Kenya and Rwanda and see that their citizens and visitors are law abiding.

I drive often in Abuja Metropolis and I can tell you that 80% of the drivers here have no idea whatsoever what the basic rules of driving are.

No one maintains their lane. You'll see a vehicle meandering left right center like they're renacting scenes from fast and furious.
Indicators for overtaking. Pftt. Not everyone indicates at turns for starters.

Tailgating is like a sport on these roads. vehicles perched to the fenders of other vehicles at speeds as high as 80km/h is very normal.

And this is Abuja where people are supposedly saner.

Law enforcement officials who're supposed to bring people to book are the most lawless.

I was driving the other day and happened on a roundabout. I'm trying to exit and poof, out of nowhere a bike with two soldiers - no helmet. Had to slam the breaks. These guys didn't even break their stride(read: cruize). Maybe the khaki is some sort of crash suit.

Police men in hilux vans drive like thiefs fleeing a crime scene. They're not going anywhere important.

Soldiers especially when they're in official vehicles basically want traffic to halt when they're passing - even though they're just heading back home to have a nice night with the wifey.

Personally I think this country has already gone to the dogs.
How do you get a license in Nigeria. You pay money. A driving school cert. is forged for you. Your license is delivered. No tests. No assessment of mental and/or physical state. Nothing.
We just need to detonate a nuclear bomb and kill everyone then start afresh with two babies.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 8:50am On Aug 05, 2020
kowalsky:

I drive often in Abuja Metropolis and I can tell you that 80% of the drivers here have no idea whatsoever what the basic rules of driving are.

No one maintains their lane. You'll see a vehicle meandering left right center like they're renacting scenes from fast and furious.

Tailgating is like a sport on these roads. vehicles perched to the fenders of other vehicles at speeds as high as 80km/h is very normal.

Law enforcement officials who're supposed to bring people to book are the most lawless.

I was driving the other day and happened on a roundabout. I'm trying to exit and poof, out of nowhere a bike with two soldiers - no helmet. Had to slam the breaks. These guys didn't even break their stride(read: cruize). Maybe the khaki is some sort of crash suit.

Police men in hilux vans drive like thiefs fleeing a crime scene. They're not going anywhere important.

Soldiers especially when they're in official vehicles basically want traffic to halt when they're passing - even though they're just heading back home to have a nice night with the wifey.

How do you get a license in Nigeria. You pay money. A driving school cert. is forged for you. Your license is delivered. No tests. No assessment of mental and/or physical state. Nothing.
We just need to detonate a nuclear bomb and kill everyone then start afresh with two babies.

Funny but it's the reality.

3 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by BamBamK: 10:52am On Aug 05, 2020
adanny01:

You will be surprised that as FRSC boss, you will not bee able to get your own FRSC driver to obey the laws once you turn your back.

I seriously don't blame Buhari for all the silence and acting dumb, that's just the way to make meaningful progress in Nigeria.

hmmmm.... na wa o
Re: No More Joy In Driving by finofaya: 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2020
adanny01:

I'm going to try at least o. We have to start from somewhere. The FRSC officers will enforce the laws if their jobs depend on it. I've seen how aggressive they are about enforcing fines when they're given targets to meet. I know people that they forced to go for psychiatric evaluation because of traffic violations. Them go work if person sidon on top their head.

A big part of the problem will go once they focus on real driver education too. Not this jankara thing they're doing in the name of driver certification. If people have to actually pass their driving test, both practical and theoretical, and they risked losing the licence for traffic violations, they won't drive so wildly.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by kingreign(m): 7:54pm On Aug 05, 2020
kowalsky:

At first bolded quote, speak for yourself, do not conclude that everyone does it. I DON'T engage in such nastiness. I know better than to engage in such and I obey both written and unwritten traffic laws, I also in know a few numbers of folks who obey traffic laws too.

At second bolded quote, it's rather shameful and disgusting that someone is having such disastrous mindset of annihilation of millions of people for the wrong deeds of many patient and ignorant and stubborn people. Who are you to even think of such nasty sub-human thought and even shamelessly bring it up in social media for the whole world to see. Well, it's clear enough to see that you lack tolerance, you're impatient, you're a totalitarian and have a dictatorial and genocidal mindset.

Spits!

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by kingreign(m): 8:00pm On Aug 05, 2020
uboma:

Funny but it's the reality.
It is not funny and it is NOT the reality.
The realization that alot of wrong doings are going on unchecked daily in the society is a wake up call for YOU and I to dare to make a change. We need self reorientation. Then group reorientation. Social media and main stream media backed by very harsh stringent punishment to ANYBODY who flouts the law without fear or favour irrespective of rank or position or tribe or religion will serve as deterrent to would be crime perpetrators.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 9:22pm On Aug 05, 2020
kingreign:

At first bolded quote, speak for yourself, do not conclude that everyone does it. I DON'T engage in such nastiness. I know better than to engage in such and I obey both written and unwritten traffic laws, I also in know a few numbers of folks who obey traffic laws too.

At second bolded quote, it's rather shameful and disgusting that someone is having such disastrous mindset of annihilation of millions of people for the wrong deeds of many patient and ignorant and stubborn people. Who are you to even think of such nasty sub-human thought and even shamelessly bring it up in social media for the whole world to see. Well, it's clear enough to see that you lack tolerance, you're impatient, you're a totalitarian and have a dictatorial and genocidal mindset.

Spits!

Take a chill pill.

The second bolded words you made reference to is not to be taken literally.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by uboma(m): 9:27pm On Aug 05, 2020
kingreign:

It is not funny and it is NOT the reality.
The realization that alot of wrong doings are going on unchecked daily in the society is a wake up call for YOU and I to dare to make a change. We need self reorientation. Then group reorientation. Social media and main stream media backed by very harsh stringent punishment to ANYBODY who flouts the law without fear or favour irrespective of rank or position or tribe or religion will serve as deterrent to would be crime perpetrators.

What is the reality then?

Are you implying that there are no road traffic offenders?

You are right about the self reorientation though. It's what I have been saying from my first post on this thread. This is not to rule out the fact that the government also needs to step up their game of melting out appropriate sanction/punishment on road traffic offenders.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by eherbal(m): 10:16am On Aug 06, 2020
radautoworks:

grin

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by ogbuefi677(m): 6:23pm On Aug 06, 2020
adanny01:

Regards to the bolded.

What do you expect Buhari to do? Order the police to do their jobs? Order the judiciary to do their jobs? Is Buhari the IG of police or CJN.

Buhari, is not responsible for anyone other than than himself.
Bros,here in Nigeria, we regularly see white skinned people including Chinese and Lebanese run red lights,jump queues etc even in here in Abuja.
Now,these are d same ppl who wouldn't dream of that in their homeland.
What does that tell you?They know Nigeria is a place where anything goes and are willing to exploit that.
What of the moral superiority they are touted to have?Most pp will misbehave if they know there won't be repercussions.

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by theoilguy: 7:15pm On Aug 06, 2020
Pathetic how bad this country really is. Too many morons on the road with zero idea on how to obey traffic laws.

There once was a country!
Re: No More Joy In Driving by sako28: 3:07am On Aug 10, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
I’m sad to report that Nigeria and her drivers within have taken the joy of driving out of me as far as driving in Nigeria is concerned. I have now resorted to searching for a driver.

That is all.

Oga mi,
A country that use drivers' license as major means of identification, what do you expect. Many have no car or can't even drive but have renew drivers' license more that 5 times.
That 9ja for you.

2 Likes

Re: No More Joy In Driving by suco01(m): 8:50am On Aug 11, 2020
nurey:

Daddy you are just too funny grin

I was at ibadan today the nonchalant attitude of those Micra drivers is alarming not to add the disregard of other road users by dangote trucks grin

with all the madness and craziness I always have one thing at the back of my mind "nurey if they bash your car, who would pay for the fix" as I know the right answer every other road user always have the right of way to me, it's annoying but it keeps my car from getting brushed or damaged ciao tongue

Micra drivers with "so orowo mi ni"
Re: No More Joy In Driving by Savagethe21st(m): 2:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’m just done with the lack of respect for the rule of law as regards to driving.

Once Covid travel restrictions are over then I’ll go tour Rwanda and Gambia for a potential relocation. Nigerians are ungovernable.
lol after u will say u are living yout best life here.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by ITbomb(m): 3:26pm On Aug 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Nothing really happened. It’s just a cumulative effect of wanton disregard for rules of driving.
This one has finished talking with Keke man ��� grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: No More Joy In Driving by EgunMogaji2: 7:00pm On Aug 22, 2020
Savagethe21st:
lol after u will say u are living yout best life here.

I absolutely am living my best life here. Nigeria is very very good.
Re: No More Joy In Driving by sultaan(m): 9:35pm On Aug 22, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I absolutely am living my best life here. Nigeria is very very good.

More like purging, freedom to live without the cost of living.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Signs And Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Glow Plugs In Diesel Cars / High Quality Car Spray Needed In Abuja / Change Wheel Bearing Or Buying Complete Hub

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.