Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 (65412 Views)

Shoprite To Cease Operation In Kano From January 14, 2024 / Is Harry Akande The Reason Shoprite Is Quitting Nigeria After Negating On Deals? / Reactions As Exxonmobil Prepares To Leave Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by chiron(m): 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2020
afroxyz:

This theory only works in text books. In a country that is the poverty capital, you are selling at premium.

leave am he's forming Economics expert.

Don't he know that Shoprite would have considered that; but we broke die in this country.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Munzy14(m): 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2020
mariahAngel:

I like your guts.
owu nwanne anyi na...cheesy We no deh fear talk.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Tunagee(m): 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:

https://www.news24.com/fin24/Companies/shoprite-exits-nigeria-after-15-years-20200803

If dem no go, their papa na bastard!! Let them go, sebi Tinubu don buy am abi.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by chiron(m): 2:05pm On Aug 03, 2020
Solatium:

No one is telling you that a supermart will sell 100% local goods, Tesco ASDA sainsbury and Lidl sells products from other European countries.
But more of home grown products.
ShopRite don't pay for local goods up front,they provide a space for people to showcase their products and sell them,they allocate stand to manufacturers and collect money from them,they still collect rebate on Good's sold.
They only stand as a middle man between buyer and sellers,I repeat we don't need foreign supermarket,let us grow our own local content and keep our money here.

we all know cost of doing business in Nigeria is high,even at that they still make their money in multiple folds.
What MTN made in Nigeria as profits during lockdown triple's the gross of their earnings in SA.
Naija Is a market for anything and everything,capture Naija Market,you have the whole of Africa in your pocket

what you just wrote is the dumbest piece of crap I've ever seen.

We are losing Foreign Investors that will bring FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) into the country and boost the economy and help our failing Naira but you're are betching about local companies. Shoprite will import goods that has a shelf life of 3 months but because of our Corrupt Customs Service and the long waiting time the containers spend at the port before clearance, the goods will expire and spoil and then money, value and goods are lost.

Instead of talking about implementing Economic policies that will attract foreign investment you're jubilating that foreign Companies are leaving.

Lol like any local company will replicate Shoprite Retail Business.

Proctor and Gamble built a $300 million factory and closed it after a year because of stupid economic polices and a failing currencies.

But no jubilate because Uche, Tayo and Ahmed will start their company.

and fyi our purchasing power is shrinking so Nigeria is gradually becoming irrelevant in the business world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
Feel indifferent about it
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by chiron(m): 2:11pm On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:
. For jumia I have worked there I must tell you that jumia have been incurring loses since they started.

For Shoprite, I'm currently working with a company that supply all supermarket equipment from shelves to refrigerator to accessories. Competition is just too much. Everyone want to own a retail store.

Most foreign Companies are incurring heavy loses
Unilever just recorded about 5.5 or 7.4% loss, Multichoice has been incurring losses for about 3yrs.

Nigerians don't even understand Economics but celebrating stupid decisions like border closure that lead to food inflation is what they will be celebrate.

Our demand for rice is 6.5 million tonnes
Foreign supply is 1.8 million tones
local supply is 1.7 million tones

Instead of finding a way to increase production, reduce production loses, maximize harvest find a way to solve the transportation of farm produce round the country we are closing border because we have rice in Ebonyi and Kano State.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by AuroraB(f): 2:21pm On Aug 03, 2020
007sledge:
I'm not sad about this, I see it as a opportunity for we Nigerians
...exactly an opportunity for you to do a bigger Shoprite, employ more staff than they did so there won't be job losses like it's staring at you in your face me I face you apartment undecided undecided
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by mariahAngel(f): 2:59pm On Aug 03, 2020
Munzy14:

owu nwanne anyi na...cheesy We no deh fear talk.

Okwaya? Anyi wu umu Joshua cool
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by showafrica(m): 3:01pm On Aug 03, 2020
explorer250:
lol buhari has finished this country, the average man can't even afford to eat properly. jobs are leaving this country.

The man just carry video cassette rewinder dey roll us back. 80% of those who had job in 2015 lost it already and we are still counting..

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Investnow2017: 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2020
GamalNasser:

Name one e commerce retailer that is doing well ..I hope you know even Jumia has not turned in single profit in NIGERIA ?...Online indeed grin grin you people are just living off free govt salary so you don't know what's happening
People soon forget that some basic infrastructure has to be in place for any business to thrive. Each time there is a discussion you see people citing examples of Amazon, Blah, blah, blah. Which infrastructure is on ground in Nigeria? Road? Reliable power? basic security?, Water? Friendly business environment? Stable government policies? Which one? Some business you think are making it, get close to them, you will find they are merely struggling. As of 2008 or thereabout i was alarmed to learn that MTN was running some 600 diesel generators Nationwide to power their equipment to guarantee uninterrupted service delivery. Factor that into their operation costs and you will find no issues knowing why.........Let me stop here cheesy

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Investnow2017: 3:06pm On Aug 03, 2020
Fearlez:
no one is buying ShopRite, it will die. And the land will go back to the state governments. Kingsway once held sway in Nigeria. No one believed it would die. ShopRite is going same way .
Where are Leventis Superstores today. Gone and buried. People forget history easily.

4 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Fearlez: 3:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
Investnow2017:

Where are Leventis Superstores today. Gone and buried. People forget history easily.
exactly.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by excanny: 3:12pm On Aug 03, 2020
When is MTN leaving?
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Investnow2017: 3:18pm On Aug 03, 2020
NaMe4:

My brother, you just stated facts.

Going by comments on this topic, it's obvious a lot of Nigerians are oblivious of what it takes to run a successful business in Nigeria.

The spending power of the population is quite low, and has had a steady plunge in the last 5 years.

Unfriendly government policies do not help either.

When you enter ShopRite you see crowd, and people would conclude ah these people are in business. What is 90% of the crowd buying? Fried rice, ice cream, strolling, hooking up with a date, etc. Some goods have been on display since some locations were opened cheesy Reason? No money. A few people who can buy anything worthwhile often shop off overseas where they believe they can find even wider variety.
What we have in Nigeria is Very Rich or Poor and very Poor - no middle class. Those who think they are in the middle class only imagine they are there, they are not cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by biodunid: 3:21pm On Aug 03, 2020
I reported on the scam being perpetrated at Shoprite here on nairaland seven years ago. Some abused me then for putting the job of the criminal cashiers at risk but today we all can see what they have achieved for themselves and us all. We either kill corruption or it kills us all

https://www.nairaland.com/1555715/watch-out-scammers-shoprite-ikeja
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Investnow2017: 3:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
Fearlez:
exactly.
MTN business model is unique. Just by false billing of N5 of its subscribers, mtn can turn in multiple millions of revenue in a few seconds. Theirs is even less noticeable than that of the financial industry. ShopRite business model is different. Because of the huge clientele base, mtn business model can survive in our kind of clime where we do more of talking than acting cheesy
They are not going anywhere soon grin cheesy
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by piagetskinner(m): 3:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
Everybody is leaving.....Nigeria seems to be the scum of the earth

Thanks to our useless leaders and internet fraudsters
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by stasius: 3:31pm On Aug 03, 2020
Amuluonyenaego:
better, let's take over our land

Take over your land how? With what?

Hand over malls to Nigerians and see everywhere become messy, classless and without decorum.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by obowunmi(m): 3:31pm On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:
. For jumia I have worked there I must tell you that jumia have been incurring loses since they started.

For Shoprite, I'm currently working with a company that supply all supermarket equipment from shelves to refrigerator to accessories. Competition is just too much. Everyone want to own a retail store.

Jumia isnt profitable.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Munzy14(m): 3:37pm On Aug 03, 2020
mariahAngel:

Okwaya? Anyi wu umu Joshua cool
ka owu umu rochas? grin
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Solatium(m): 3:40pm On Aug 03, 2020
chiron:

what you just wrote is the dumbest piece of crap I've ever seen.

We are losing Foreign Investors that will bring FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) into the country and boost the economy and help our failing Naira but you're are betching about local companies. Shoprite will import goods that has a shelf life of 3 months but because of our Corrupt Customs Service and the long waiting time the containers spend at the port before clearance, the goods will expire and spoil and then money, value and goods are lost.

Instead of talking about implementing Economic policies that will attract foreign investment you're jubilating that foreign Companies are leaving.

Lol like any local company will replicate Shoprite Retail Business.

Proctor and Gamble built a $300 million factory and closed it after a year because of stupid economic polices and a failing currencies.

But no jubilate because Uche, Tayo and Ahmed will start their company.

and fyi our purchasing power is shrinking so Nigeria is gradually becoming irrelevant in the business world.

You need to understand basic economy before you open up your mouth and vomit gibberish.
If you build your local industries who needs a FDI?
foreign investor's are ALWAYS A SHORT TERM INVESTORS MATTER HOW LONG THEY STAY THEY WILL ALWAYS PULL OUT ONE DAY AND RUN TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY WITH THEIR LOOT.
Your local brothers here have no where to run to once he established here,the money stays here,your naira appreciates,your sibling's have a job,Your custom officer won't have a bribe to negotiate on finished goods brought in and Substandard goods won't be brought in.
The problem with you is inferiority complex,a thinking that a foreigner will come and liberate your economy.
I don't know how old you are but I witnessed it in the 80's,our local brands were allover the place, manufacturing is been done here,that was the reason Naira was stronger than $ and £ ,the reason your uncle and your Dad had a means of livelihood,the reason your Dad did not required a Visa to visit UK.

Procter and Gamble is not doing any manufacturing,all they do is bring in imported finished products in bulk and repackage, unfortunately the Indians and Lebanese who manufacturer in Ogun/Oyo STATE Axis wèrè able to beat them to the price war because they manufacturer from the end to finish here,they don't require huge forex to import,some of their content are even source locally.

Why do you think Nigeria breweries and Guiness Is waxing stronger? the embrace local raw material which has drives down their cost of production to a reasonable standard.

Let me ask you if there is anything ShopRite is bringing in that we don't have local substitute here?
point me that thing and I will give up this conversation with you.

Lastly Brands evolve,the likes of Leventis Kingsway and the ilks were here in the 80's .
Cash and Carry, UTC and the rest emerged and survived through the 90's .
Now it is ShopRite, Spar and the rest,in 20yrs time we shall be talking about another brand

3 Likes

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by walexy06(m): 3:42pm On Aug 03, 2020
Iamgrey5:
in marketing we have Market penetration and market skimmng strategies

They are opposite each other

Market penetration encourages low prices, high frequency of sales and low profit margins

Market skimming encourages high prices, low frequency of sales and high profit margins.

The major problem of Shoprite was that the low profit margin couldn't offset the overhead cost to break even.

The only solution is to try to skim the market for high income earners and sell products at premium prices.
Very correct.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by nnamdi640: 3:42pm On Aug 03, 2020
007sledge:
I'm not sad about this, I see it as a opportunity for we Nigerians
At least have pity for those that will lose their jobs.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by mariahAngel(f): 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2020
Munzy14:

ka owu umu rochas? grin

Wurukwa nwa Rochas! Owudikwa mu na gi grin grin grin
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by nnamdi640: 3:48pm On Aug 03, 2020
As e dey hot.Next level things...
This man called Buhari has done more harm than good to this country.Zombies will still see it as good news....
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Munzy14(m): 3:49pm On Aug 03, 2020
mariahAngel:

Wurukwa nwa Rochas! Owudikwa mu na gi grin grin grin
grin grin
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by AngelJennifer: 3:57pm On Aug 03, 2020
frankyychiji:
With all the ease of doing business blab.
Another thing is competition, they never had it so bad in recent times.

Markets square, Next cash, and the likes have reduced their market share.

1 Like

Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Worldliness(f): 4:00pm On Aug 03, 2020
But Akwa Ibom claimed ShopRite was building biggest shopping mall in Nigeria in Uyo. What a fvckery!!
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Bossman25(m): 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
Who will buy at Premium price?
Justrite at Ogolonto, Ikorodu...is an example.....Not too long did they come into business....they have all products u wanna buy and its quite affordable. The common man in ikorodu can walk into justrite and buy goods......from processed garri ijebu to Ogi....lots of things.....the store is even selling to his capacity and not trying to over do. I will rather go to Justrite that shoprite......simply because of the price......the last time I went to shoprite to buy pasta rice...I regretted my actions......something so cheap at Justrite.....
Shoprite don't want no competition to drive their prices down...same as Dstv.....enough of the over chop and over belleful.......those guys have riped us too much. Obiano is an example...he is making sales steady and we haven't heard that he will close business.
In a nutshell all what I am saying is make Shoprite carry them wahala dey go.......including Dstv....if not for Hitv....where would Dstv have been......Ripe Offs...

Iamgrey5:
in marketing we have Market penetration and market skimmng strategies

They are opposite each other

Market penetration encourages low prices, high frequency of sales and low profit margins

Market skimming encourages high prices, low frequency of sales and high profit margins.

The major problem of Shoprite was that the low profit margin couldn't offset the overhead cost to break even.

The only solution is to try to skim the market for high income earners and sell products at premium prices.
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Thelucifer666(m): 4:21pm On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:

Smh
This is saddening but hopefully a another company will take over with better policies
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Failure44: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
Luckydubby7:

Wow boss seems you're a big man.
Abeg your boy fi drop him account details cry
Re: Shoprite To Leave Nigeria After 15 Years - News24 by Nobody: 4:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
tot:

Who needs your alignment?

Anyway, it is clear to anyone with eyes that there is a PROBLEM with the way this country is run. Ignore it all you want, it is there.

Perhaps there is also a problem with the way USA is also run which made over 15742 businesses to shut down in just one month right?

Every country is feeling the crunch and not just Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

My Experience Today In Warri ( graphic pix be warnned) !!! / "Made In Aba" Shoes Ready For Export (pics) / Pictures of PUBLIC LAUNDRY services In The U.S.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.