Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go (36332 Views)

LASG Threatens To Seal Supermarkets Over Non-disclosure Of Price Tags On Product / Nigerians React To Sani Dangote Son Engagement To Malaysian Billionaire Daughter / Shoprite Ilorin Shut Down After Massive Crowd Stormed Their Store (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Nobody: 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2020
engrchykae:
we aren't ready for such,the reasons is
1.the foreign investors are mostly corrupt and will cut corners with our corrupt nass.
2.you see how our useless nass always call out DStv when they want DStv to pay them some money.
3.the foreign investors takes majority of their profit back to their home countries.
For example,I know of an Indian manager who prefers buying or importing products from India,he knows what he is doing.
We have men who can fill the void.
Imagine if obasanjo had encouraged glo to have a headstart in Nigeria?he would have gone far.
Dangote in oil, cement,floor .
Ivm and proforce are capable of Manning the automobile sector.
Banking and finance of course doesn't need foreign investors.
I repeat,we have what it takes to be a great nation without foreign input.

In my argument the catch phrase was "solid legislative backing" restricting import by the investors.

Dangote is building his refinery with funds including those of foreign investors.

The financial sector of Nigeria is fragile.

Innoson isn't viable because of the cost of production.

Nigeria can never compete with DSTV. South African companies are big because of foreign investment. Multichoice for instance is backed by Naspers , a company richer than Nigeria.
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by BigBashiru: 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
IncredibleWrite:
I should school you but you must be humble to learn.

Small scale businesses are affected because they can't compete favorably with these "foreign" companies because of their force of finance. The businesses have obviously been growing but they can't COMPETE with these people!

There's a reason Mugabe chased white farmers away from Zimbabwe in 2002. I don't have strength or I would have elaborated more.

They are good sources of FDI, but they have many disadvantages.

I read Politics and Geography btw

Not enough of an excuse. You are implying Nigerians are an inferior people that for 50 years no magnate like Dangote could build malls??

Zimbabwe chasing out white farmers is a bad example - aren't you thinking of going to white mans land? Zimbabwe is one if the worst countries in the world - like Somalia - and pls don't pay the they were colonized card - US was colonized too.

Cocoa is a West African crop today it's dominated by London and new york - while you all give excuses - what a shame
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by tnerro1(m): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2020
Hope they remember to take PEP along, that sells substandard clothes
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 03, 2020
For me whether shop rite was here or isn't here anymore we won't notice its absence, so they should carry their over inflated a
Green and yellow apple price and go back to xenophobic cape town! Them and cold stone creamy/

PS the problem is not them, the problem is Nigeria, Nigeria haven't done what's necessary to attract Foreign investments into the country, the ease of doing business is so harsh and inconducive, security is very very poor, Big markets like Facebook, Amazon can't make it here cos the citizens don't even have the money and good currency like the £ and $ to help them, boko haram can just wake up one day and decide to make a loud statement and target a US business, Boom Nigeria is in big trouble, so j see, I encourage Shop rite to go if they don't see any reason being here anymore cos even me in my own little work place I'm feeling the impact and if I make the visa and passport I'm out of here and go and do sth else with my life, this nonsense is not life abeg! Its untold but avoidable suffering and hardship!

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by nedekid: 9:51pm On Aug 03, 2020
Cumtroller:
Fool.

Bad policies and a harsh operating environment is the bane of other supermarkets and businesses in general, not Shoprite.

Does this Man know the huge number of local suppliers shoprite has engaged? Or does he think the fresh produce and other items stocked in the supermarket are all imported. What about Jobs and tax income that will be lost with the exit of shoprite?

Many are mad and this is a classic example. He should cut his hair to allow sense permeate his skull.

Dont mind the silly man.
Just few days ago someone called me to hire a refrigerated truck to move smoked goat meat from his farm at ikotun to Shoprite Ikeja, that he was trying a new line of business with them.
The farmer, pays his workers, he pays me, I pay my driver, motor boy and we all earn income to take care of our families.
Do you know how many supply chains, business Shoprite provides a livelyhood for? From those that supply diesel to those that maintain their cheelers to Nepa bill they pay, taxes the list goes on and on.
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by NightHawke: 10:26pm On Aug 03, 2020
ajl:

Shopping may seem good for buyers but for every Shoprite there are thousands of micro and small business lossers that have lost customers and their means of livelihood to Shoprite. Aside from the comfort it provide to shoppers, it's a bad omen for Nigeria, especially with the fact that it is a foreign entity. Shoprite is :crying now because it's probably having problem moving its funds out of Nigeria because of dollar crunch. A local entity wouldn't face that especially if most of the products are local. Nigerians are slackers who have to wait for a foreign own retailer to shop comfortably. What does it take to run a retail business as that?

@Ajl... Goodevening
Your response is fair but will need to add the following. Shoprite never stopped others from competing. In Lagos, Abuja, Enugu, Port harcourt and counting their are many competing brands,

When i want farm fresh youghourt - Unsweetened i go for Habib which is available in their partner stores. Outlets like MarketSquare-Lagos, PH etc, DEChoice Mall in Uyo, depending on investment, location, available space; More Mega Supermarts and Malls are springing up.

Oversea investors in Shoprite cant even repatriate their funds at the current exchange rate. They need more local supplies to even export. I like the value addition to local products like cashew nuts, peppers, spices, utensils, dried fish, some seafood all locally sourced and almost good for the export market encouraged by Shoprite.

The market is open for new entrants which will employ more Nigerians and expats depending on your niche,
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by IncredibleWrite: 11:03pm On Aug 03, 2020
BigBashiru:

Not enough of an excuse. You are implying Nigerians are an inferior people that for 50 years no magnate like Dangote could build malls??

Zimbabwe chasing out white farmers is a bad example - aren't you thinking of going to white mans land? Zimbabwe is one if the worst countries in the world - like Somalia - and pls don't pay the they were colonized card - US was colonized too.

Cocoa is a West African crop today it's dominated by London and new york - while you all give excuses - what a shame
You obviously lack knowledge of International Politics and it would be a waste of time engaging you. Have a good day

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by davidif: 11:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
My gosh! This is so sad. Think of all the jobs lost.
If a company like shoprite cannot even survive in Nigeria what does that say about the business climate in the country.
This is an indictment on the ruinous economic policies Nigerian leaders have pursued since independence. It’s really sad.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by mechanics(m): 11:57pm On Aug 03, 2020
Sure, no doubt.
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Cousin9999: 1:42am On Aug 04, 2020
Cumtroller:
He should cut his hair to allow sense permeate his skull.

lol
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Profayo: 5:31am On Aug 04, 2020
Odidigboigbo:
when last did you take your family or GF to "Iya Biliki store" for shopping? The bitter truth is that most of us especially our so called elites that have access to big supermarkets, (ShopRite, SPAR, etc), prefer to patronised those "big supermarkets" in the spense of our local supermarkets and you expect them to grow.
My town doesn't have shoprite so I patroize local stores.
99% of Nigerians don't patronize shoprite on regular basis.Only 8 states in Nigeria has shoprite,that's less than a quater of Nigerian states.I must think by now the local stores in those states without shoprite must be very big now, but no, the biggest local stores are still the ones in states with Shoprite.
https://www.shoprite.com.ng/about-us.html
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Profayo: 5:32am On Aug 04, 2020
Clergy20:

And what bad economic policies have this government made that have resulted in Shoprite leaving and have also stopped local supermarkets from growing?
You have google to help you, but of you can't interprete economics, then I can't help you, you should go back to secondary school
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by EagleNest(m): 6:31am On Aug 04, 2020
Wrong!
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by Vonoforeal(m): 7:43pm On Aug 04, 2020
Probably SHEHU SANNI has a local supermarket struggling to survive. That's why he's talking like that .
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by davidif: 12:43am On Aug 05, 2020
This man is definitely mistaken that's for sure. This should be a cause for alarm that an established company can't succeed in Nigeria then that says a lot about our economic policies.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by davidif: 12:45am On Aug 05, 2020
Jorge91:
Time for roban, market square, next, addide and co to expand.

Expand in this business environment where even an established power house like Shoprite can't thrive?

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by TheCork(m): 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2020
Katier00:
it keeps you at your best all the time

Sweet hat am ready to pay u 300naira cash for u to be my girlfriends for just one month. I will buy u shirt, shoe bag earring & beautiful designer portmamto .. deal?? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by donjazet(m): 3:44pm On Sep 03, 2020
Re: Shehu Sani: Shoprite Exit Will Help Local Supermarkets To Grow, They Can Go by MorataFC: 4:05pm On Sep 03, 2020
Akolawole:
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/08/shoprite-debunks-exit-rumour-says-we-are-not-leaving-nigeria/amp/
Oga, why we no dhey see you for Chelsea thread again, I checked your profile and I found out that you were the first person to create the thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Rewards Alkali Adamu As Who Returned Money Wrongly Dispensed To Him / Exchange Rates In Official And Parallel Markets Converge / Polaris Bank Network Failures And The Silence Of CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.