Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) (37078 Views)

His Son Bears Different Surname - Any Immigration Issue? / How The Travel Ban Will Affect Nigerians / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by ekerintee: 6:29pm On Aug 05, 2020
First of all ,I will advice you not to do it.It amounts to you starting your life all over ,u have to change names on all your documents ,WAEC ,primary school etc.it becomes suspicious when you have to change name on your certificates .if you hide your previous names ,then you are regarded as somebody without certificates.Then,what do you want to do in UK.Driving taxis ,or doing menial work ,then all your time at the University in naija is wasted .Anyway ,I know some Nigerians will rather do stupid jobs to get money than remain in naija.That is not life to me,I don't know what course you are studying in naija ,but I will advice you to finish and possibly if your uncle can Help for masters in another European country.masters in UK is really expensive for foreigners,if your uncle can help you .but if you want to follow your uncles path ,its a risk and may not work.are you going to change name on your WAEC and primary certificates too ?

quote author=dayoige post=92478505]Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

I want to apply for a change of name (to address the surname)

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

What do you think I can do to balance everything?

Thanks

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by andyanders: 6:32pm On Aug 05, 2020
Perewenkle1:
I will advice that you do not change your surname, finish your education in Naija. If he wants to fly you, there is nothing wrong with your current name, what you are purporting to do is fraud, it will burst and destroy you later.

Exactly. Let him finish his first degree here and apply 4 his masters and d said uncle if he wants to help him, can pay for his tution and travel documents.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Vyzz: 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2020
WakeNbaked:
That's definitely not what a name is meant to do please.

Educate me please sir
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Freelane33(m): 6:33pm On Aug 05, 2020
Use adoption method ...... don’t lie those immigration no be mugun ooooo
justwise:

Your uncle is ignorant, i guess he wants to bring you to the UK as his son right? Remind him that the British high commission will ask for DNA test and birth certificate as evidence, so change your name all you want but you can't change your DNA
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Freelane33(m): 6:34pm On Aug 05, 2020
Tell him to adopt you and you won’t have to do any change of name on your documents bruh .. immigrations ain’t stupid ooo
dayoige:
Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Emmypromise: 6:35pm On Aug 05, 2020
This shouldn't be a major issue. Just be sure you're not returning to Nigeria to contest for any elective position.
If you know, you know.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by guru90: 6:36pm On Aug 05, 2020
bigugo247:
I would rather not have commented but due to the fact that I had face similar experience; here is my little piece of advice. One of my uncle residing abroad demanded that I should reduce my age and take his place of birth as mine and it must reflect on my international passport to enable him send bring me up as his son. Well I didn't want to do it but he pressured that's the only way he can return the help he received from my dad when he was suffering. I later went ahead with his ideal.
Lo and behold, the guy disappointed me until now. it cost me huge sum of money to have it changed at the Nigeria Immigration Service here in Abuja.
I don't know your uncle (not necessary though), you have to think about the long term effect on your official documents. what if you are disappointed? or it worked out...thank God.
be guided that it will cost you huge some like mine to have it changed.
Pray and think about it.
#Goodluck

That's the nature of Uncles.....

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by kenneh1(m): 6:37pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Ask your mummy ,who is really your blood father

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by VHILL: 6:38pm On Aug 05, 2020
Poster ensure do you trust that ya uncle?? Make you no go find yourself for plantain plantation for Cuba as slave in the name going to abroad. I don talk my own finish.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Beey(f): 6:40pm On Aug 05, 2020
Yoighaman:

Nice one.

@OP: You can choose to play all the pranks in the world but if it ever gets to this (DNA), just know that you are scr*ewed....Think very well before you act.
If he fails a DNA test, he’ll be banned from ever stepping foot into the UK.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by alizma: 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

If you make your change of name thorough a Nigerian internationally recognized court of law and make the publication on major national newspapers, you will not have issues with difference in surname on your previous documents, including your birth certificate because it will be stated in the publication and the affidavit that all previous documents remain valid. However you are going to mention in the publication, all the institutions from where you got each of those documents to take note.
Eg I formally know as Ade Hassan Nkechi wish to henceforth be known and recognise as Ade Hassan Aham, all previous documents remain valid, Imo state nursing school, Kofi polytechnic and the general public should take note
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by frozen70(f): 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

pls take note of the followings

How are you very sure he will take you to UK even after changing to his surname without telling you stories after you must have spent money changing it and manipulated your entire certificate

He can't claim you to be his biological child even if you change to his surname because, if he claims that you are his son, the embassy will run a DNA test and of course you know it will come out negative, so that one is a lost for you not him

If you change name especially surname, have you considered that your certificate past and present will have disparity

If your entire family wants to change surname, it will be published and all the family names of every one will be written down to show that it's a collective decision

Finally if he didn't help you to come over there again, you will spend more to revert to your surname and not all documents will be changed like your Bsc certificate

Best option is for him to get admission for you over there and your family will sponsor you still on your own surname, after all relatives helps others there

Make sure you graduate here before you start this gambling to avoid stories

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by leaculpa: 6:53pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Whatever u do, make sure u finish your first degree in Nigeria first. Relocate as a graduate. youll get some office jobs like customer service, not really graduate level jobs but u can use dt salary, get some assistance & pay for ur masters. when u get ur UK masters u'll get a proper career and future in the UK cos they don't really respect naija certificate to give u a graduate job.

I know someone whose mom filed for her 4 children. All 4 were given visas. The 3 elder ones were in university they abandoned their education and left. They are wandering around doing odd jobs till today. None of them are graduates of anywhere.
Undergraduate education is not cheap & because the system works u could easily get unmotivated and settle for that low income life.

Let ur uncle be processing the visa but make sure u finish dt ur degree ur doing, ur life will be easier when u travel.

I can never advise u to lie to the embassy sha. If they catch you, ur name will be blacklisted in their system. And for immigrant visas, they will do a DNA test to establish paternity. Ask ur uncle how he wants to navigate dt. Also he cant adopt u if ur over 18. So don't change ur name.

If ur uncle truly wants to help you, just apply for a student visa for a masters program after u graduate. When u get to the school u can figure the rest out.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Surulereman(m): 6:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
See what the new world has turned us into. Someone wants to tell a lie to gain an advantage and he's asking for advice and he's been obliged. Kudos to all those who condemned the idea. Truth shall always be King.

3 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by NkemChukwudi: 7:01pm On Aug 05, 2020
Abalado:
Two mumu lovers,,, what's the big deal in changing name,, since u they fear ur surname what changes does it added to ur life,,, mumu, u better change it before he change his mind on u,,

Elebi!
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Ooe33: 7:11pm On Aug 05, 2020
Why doesn't he adopt u. That way, he will have valid papers that I are now his family. Name alone might not work
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Openbusiness4: 7:11pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Oga u berra goan change ur surname fast fast, even sef, change ur name from Kunta Kunte to Denzel Washington...an escape dis hellhole of a country. Dey dia dey ask Jamb questions wen Nigeria might soon turn to another Afghanistan in a few years. Be like u neva c the news on Nairaland of Boko Haram soldiers praying in Niger state. Der r Fulani herdsmen militias scattered in jungles all round dis country too. Only a mata of time before action film starts an d govt is still as useless as crude oil in Mars. Beta get out now while u can and escape d evil dark times dat are coming.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by donprinyo(m): 7:24pm On Aug 05, 2020
Is de guy a pilot?
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by VirginSearcher(m): 7:26pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

My dear, u can't deal with the irregularities and issues that comes with name change especially when u have all your documents with your main (first) name. My advice is.. don't do it, I understand your uncle wants to help but he can allow u to finish and bring u over with study visa which is very easy and more genuine.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Enyimbamercedes: 7:27pm On Aug 05, 2020
Lol! Your uncle want to put you inside car with no Tyre! Changing your surname doesn’t mean anything! You will be rejected regardless if you do not meet the entry criteria and to the best of my knowledge, having the same surname with a sponsor doesn’t help your chances.

I am UK citizen but my wife has been rejected 5 times and she has my surname oooo! If your uncle really wants to help you, he will send you all the supporting documents you require and write a letter as your sponsor saying you are coming on holiday ... and this doesn’t mean you’ll get the visa.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by ggoldmine: 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2020
Now is the best time to change your name. There are procedures to changing name…no need to replicate certificates.

How about attaching his surname to your name instead of removing yours entirely?

dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by HappyCanadian: 7:34pm On Aug 05, 2020
Enyimbamercedes:
Lol! Your uncle want to put you inside car with no Tyre! Changing your surname doesn’t mean anything! You will be rejected regardless if you do not meet the entry criteria and to the best of my knowledge, having the same surname with a sponsor doesn’t help your chances.

I am UK citizen but my wife has been rejected 5 times and she has my surname oooo! If your uncle really wants to help you, he will send you all the supporting documents you require and write a letter as your sponsor saying you are coming on holiday ... and this doesn’t mean you’ll get the visa.
My question is why have they refused your wife 5 times there must be something you guys aren't doing right
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Enyimbamercedes: 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
HappyCanadian:

My question is why have they refused your wife 5 times there must be something you guys aren't doing right

We have done everything right! The issue is that I live and work in Nigeria and so the only visa type she can apply for is a visitor visa. I am her sponsor but since I cannot apply for a visa, the ECO rejects her application based on her documents alone without considering that I am the sponsor. They keep saying her personal circumstances mean they arent sure she will return to Nigeria!!! Despite that I live and work here...what do they think she wants to stay back there for? Anyway...no need to derail the thread...
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by deepwater(f): 7:52pm On Aug 05, 2020
Our people say ma person wey no know him mama boyfriend dey call am uncle undecided
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by investigator007: 8:01pm On Aug 05, 2020
I feel this is something you should discuss with your family
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by greatcrown: 8:04pm On Aug 05, 2020
Don't change your surname.
He's not your father but your uncle.

Do the right thing now and you won't regret later.
Don't join others who have contributed and are contributing to making others look down on Nigerians and Nigeria.

God bless you and make you bigger and better than those you look up to today in Jesus Christ name amen.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by PeachtreeReside(f): 8:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
He can fly you to the UK with your present name.

What are you going to do in the UK?

For school?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by trilacos: 9:11pm On Aug 05, 2020
you want to change your surname which is part of your identity because of visa. cry
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 05, 2020
andyanders:

Exactly. Let him finish his first degree here and apply 4 his masters and d said uncle if he wants to help him, can pay for his tution and travel documents.

How much is plane ticket to move OP now: 500£
How much is masters later: thousands of £

See the uncle below

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by aoofbeautifulme(f): 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
Guy I really do not know what it is you want to do cos many of us already have our minds made up before coming here to weigh other people's options
but
please is continuity in your education assured
My little cents though
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Onlyonebuhari: 9:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Why must you change your name before your uncle can assist you? Even PNP don't require that. You only need evidence of family ties, simple and mind you complete your Bsc cos that's an asset for your future.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Box Junction: What Is The Meaning Of This Road Marking? (PHOTOS) / Heavy Rainfall In Ilorin Leaves Buildings, Cars Damaged / Lagos Boat Capsize: Pregnant Woman Dies, 16 Missing In (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.