Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) (37053 Views)

His Son Bears Different Surname - Any Immigration Issue? / How The Travel Ban Will Affect Nigerians / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by divineappo(m): 10:05pm On Aug 05, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

I want to apply for a change of name (to address the surname)

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

What do you think I can do to balance everything?

Thanks

perhaps, your uncle is your real father

Tell ur mum, and observe her reaction

Lol

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by bigtt76(f): 10:29pm On Aug 05, 2020
How do you handle the DNA requirement or what would he claim that you are to him? His son or what? undecided

dayoige:
Real quick!
I have a uncle in the UK who is a citizen and he assured me that if I can change my surname to his, he will fly me over to the UK.

I'm a 300L student studying economics here in Nigeria, and my name is .... ( This is the name I have in all my documents) and the surname my uncle want me to change to is 'Richard' so after changing my name it will look like this "Dayo Richard".

After doing the change of name I want to also apply for my National Identification Registration with (NIMC) which definitely I will have to do a new Birth Certificate with my new name.

Now my problem is this :
Will the change of surname affect my travelling documents if I want to apply for a visa, since the surname I have on my academic documents is different from my new surname?

Thanks

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by chatinent: 10:50pm On Aug 05, 2020
All for money.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by raphy(m): 11:20pm On Aug 05, 2020
make u no be mumu that ur uncle can use u to make cool business deals over there n u can't get a penny be wise
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by earnit3: 11:51pm On Aug 05, 2020
How
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Jarryking: 11:57pm On Aug 05, 2020
Vyzz:
Personally

I do prefer your current surname.....

It tells your origin... That's what a name should do...

Well for the question.... Yes it will

Not always bro.

I'm Kenedy Lawrence can you guess my state?

My sis is Anita Lawrence

Big bro is Joshua Lawrence
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by eliyonvibes: 12:11am On Aug 06, 2020
Gone are the days when you can do that, the new Nigeria passport that includes your NIN has some security features that will require your bvn linkage... You can only successful do that if you're getting married to the person...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by mentored: 1:01am On Aug 06, 2020
Vyzz:
Personally

I do prefer your current surname.....

It tells your origin... That's what a name should do...

Well for the question.... Yes it will

Which ogogoro origin?

Orijin ko

Hero ni

Better change your prick to and jappaaaaaa
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Vyzz: 1:31am On Aug 06, 2020
Jarryking:

Not always bro.

I'm Kenedy Lawrence can you guess my state?

My sis is Anita Lawrence

Big bro is Joshua Lawrence

Exactly what I am saying....

With this names if I am to guess.... I would say u come from the states or Britain....

But with an African name.... No one needs to ask u.... "hey, where are u from?"...
Bro
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by GreenDee(f): 1:39am On Aug 06, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Why are you desperate to go? You are in 300lvl guy, just remaining a year to be through,you can go there for your Masters.. and don't change your surname for any reason, when it's even illegal, you would regret it.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by RPG2020(m): 1:59am On Aug 06, 2020
Baby girl na straight up deny
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by OwoukoUrua(m): 2:02am On Aug 06, 2020
Sh!t I won't do even if my dad disowns me . . . #dignity
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by chaloskyx: 2:49am On Aug 06, 2020
how about your international passport ? your bank account name ? your waec and academic credentials? they would need you to prove your relationship with your uncle with concrete evidence

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Youngsage: 5:17am On Aug 06, 2020
Abalado:
Two mumu lovers,,, what's the big deal in changing name,, since u they fear ur surname what changes does it added to ur life,,, mumu, u better change it before he change his mind on u,,

If you still think/talk like this @ 36, then it's sad

I mean, you didn't even read the post at all. If not, you would have known that they aren't lovers.

Smh cry
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Blezine: 7:39am On Aug 06, 2020
You need to do a background check on your self. Are you sure that your UNCLE is not your real father?. Sorry if this sounds offensive.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Ogalanyaidi(m): 9:02am On Aug 06, 2020
Lie lie uncle
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Justarandomguy: 9:38am On Aug 06, 2020
Abalado:
Two mumu lovers,,, what's the big deal in changing name,, since u they fear ur surname what changes does it added to ur life,,, mumu, u better change it before he change his mind on u,,
see this one sad
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 06, 2020
Abalado:

Did you even read the post at all?
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by ND212: 11:34am On Aug 06, 2020
Changing of name is recognise all over the world, the name on my WAEC and my HND is different but I still use them, the certificate of affidavit will be giving to you at the Court
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Johnsown1(m): 11:48am On Aug 06, 2020
There is no big deal it because Nigerians change name like kilode and you can go for affidavits any time you wishes.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by bigtt76(f): 1:09pm On Aug 06, 2020
Best advice.... I can't help buy laugh over the bolded. Sad

leaculpa:

Whatever u do, make sure u finish your first degree in Nigeria first. Relocate as a graduate. youll get some office jobs like customer service, not really graduate level jobs but u can use dt salary, get some assistance & pay for ur masters. when u get ur UK masters u'll get a proper career and future in the UK cos they don't really respect naija certificate to give u a graduate job.

I know someone whose mom filed for her 4 children. All 4 were given visas. The 3 elder ones were in university they abandoned their education and left. They are wandering around doing odd jobs till today. None of them are graduates of anywhere.
Undergraduate education is not cheap & because the system works u could easily get unmotivated and settle for that low income life.

Let ur uncle be processing the visa but make sure u finish dt ur degree ur doing, ur life will be easier when u travel.

I can never advise u to lie to the embassy sha. If they catch you, ur name will be blacklisted in their system. And for immigrant visas, they will do a DNA test to establish paternity. Ask ur uncle how he wants to navigate dt. Also he cant adopt u if ur over 18. So don't change ur name.

If ur uncle truly wants to help you, just apply for a student visa for a masters program after u graduate. When u get to the school u can figure the rest out.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by eddieo(m): 2:04pm On Aug 06, 2020
How well do you trust your uncle not to disappoint after going through the rigour of change of name
?
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by hajimutex1: 2:11pm On Aug 06, 2020
You're an ode man you limit you life for ordinary travel to us
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by emeka55: 11:12pm On Aug 06, 2020
Does he want to adopt you or marry you? Why will you change your surname
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by rs172(m): 8:25am On Aug 07, 2020
dayoige:
Real quick!

Now my problem is this :

Thanks

I use GOD beg you, no try am, he can help you with funds to come do your Msc there, moreover you're 18yrs, so he can't adopt or fly you ovwr since you aren't a minor.
Re: I Want To Change My Surname, Will It Affect Me In Any Way (travel Wise) by Hahjascho(m): 8:52am On Aug 07, 2020
Which kind issue be this one nh.

All I see is a risk. Why do you have to change your name when you're not sure of what may happen come next 10years. Who told you it's impossible to go abroad even after coming out strong academically?

Build your life up here in Nigeria first, while not engaging in such risk. How do you feel denouncing your Nationality.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Box Junction: What Is The Meaning Of This Road Marking? (PHOTOS) / "I Was Deceived By My Friend"; Nigerian Lady Who Returned From Libya. Photos / Heavy Flood In Abeokuta Kills Children, Destroys Buildings (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.