Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,361 members, 7,808,260 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing (929 Views)

Japan: Hirosima Marks 77th Anniversary Of The First Atomic Bomb Attack / Over 400 Planes Of World Leaders, Dignitaries Landed In Glasgow For COP26(Pics) / Gas explosion At Atomic Junction In Accra. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 3:52am On Aug 06, 2020
Bells have tolled in Japan's Hiroshima for the 75th anniversary of the world's first atomic bombing, with ceremonies downsized due to the coronavirus pandemic and the city's mayor urging nations to reject self-centred nationalism and commit to nuclear disarmament more seriously.

Though thousands usually pack the Peace Park in central Hiroshima to pray, sing and lay paper cranes as a symbol of peace, entrance to Thursday's memorial ceremony was sharply limited, with only survivors, relatives and a handful of foreign dignitaries allowed to attend.

Participants, many of them dressed in black and wearing face masks, stood for a moment of silence at 8:15 am, the exact time that the atomic bomb, nicknamed "Little Boy", exploded on August 6, 1945, obliterating Hiroshima and killing 140,000 of an estimated population of 350,000.

Thousands more died later of injuries and radiation-related illnesses.

"On August 6, 1945, a single atomic bomb destroyed our city. Rumour at the time had it that 'nothing will grow here for 75 years,'" Mayor Kazumi Matsui said in a speech afterwards.

"And yet, Hiroshima recovered, becoming a symbol of peace."

He called on Japan's government to heed the appeal of survivors and sign the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, and urged the world to come together to face global threats.

"When the 1918 flu pandemic attacked a century ago, it took tens of millions of lives and terrorised the world because nations fighting World War I were unable to meet the threat together," he said.

"A subsequent upsurge in nationalism led to World War II and the atomic bombings. We must never allow this painful past to repeat itself. Civil society must reject self-centred nationalism and unite against all threats."

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, in his speech at the ceremony, said Japan is committed to nuclear weapons ban but said a nuclear-free world could not be achieved overnight and that it has to start from dialogue between opposite sides.

"Japan's position is to serve as a bridge between different sides and patiently promote their dialogue and actions to achieve a world without nuclear weapons," Abe said.

Elderly survivors, whose average age now exceeds 83, however, criticised what they called the Japanese government's reluctance to listen to those who suffered from the atomic bombing.

"Many survivors are offended by the prime minister of this country who does not sign the nuclear weapons prohibition treaty," said Keiko Ogura, 84, who survived the atomic bombing at age eight.

"We need non-nuclear states to help us and pressure the Japanese government into signing."

The bombing of Hiroshima was followed by the bombing of Nagasaki on August 9, an attack that instantly killed more than 75,000 people.

Japan announced its surrender just days later on August 15, 1945, and some historians argue the bombings ultimately saved lives by avoiding a land invasion that might have been significantly more deadly.

But in Japan, the attacks are widely regarded as war crimes because they targeted civilians indiscriminately and caused unprecedented destruction.

The United States has never apologised for the bombings.

In 2016, Barack Obama became the first sitting US president to visit Hiroshima, where he offered no apology but embraced survivors and called for a world free of nuclear weapons.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were key stops on Pope Francis's first trip to Japan last year, where he denounced the "unspeakable horror" of the attacks.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/08/hiroshima-marks-75th-anniversary-world-atomic-bombing-200806015441903.html

Cc: lalasticlala mynd44 dominique

1 Like

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Olachase(m): 5:12am On Aug 06, 2020
War no just good

Meanwhile check my signature you might need our service
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by TheEnygma(m): 5:17am On Aug 06, 2020
America right now...

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Unnerve: 10:20am On Aug 06, 2020
Such a disaster should never be allowed to happen again.

The US ought to throw all her nuclear weapons straight into the deepest ravines of the Pacific, just like they expect other countries to do.

It's better no country has them at all, than for some to believe they alone have the right to it.

3 Likes

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Nobody: 10:47pm On Aug 06, 2020
Bunch of filthy cowards! They bombed you and still have you under subjugation 75years after - in the name of ties & treaties; subtly rubbing your humiliating defeat in WW2 in your ugly faces - even as she continues to re-inscribes her military victory over you as a means to drastically curtail your quest for vengeance & retaliation.

These Sushi-eating bastards should have marked this 75th anniversary by turning New York, Chicago, California, Washington, Texas & Pennsylvania into nuclear wastelands, inorder to send the incorrigible & belligerent children of Belial in the United States of Taliban a strong message that reads:

Remember, Remember, the fifth of November 1945, the Gunpowder Treason and Plot.

I know of no reason why the Atomic Treason should ever be forgot. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF1951pENdk

I trust Hitler & Stalin. Awon omo pau bii ibon. grin

By now, the United States of Taliban would have become an empty football field - with every goddamn POW and their families speaking either Dutch or Russian. grin

Or did these bastards not know that WW2 was a continuation of WW1? grin

https://onlineessays.com/essays/history/was-world-war-2-a-continuation-of-world-war-1.php

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 6:10am On Aug 07, 2020
Zoharariel:
Bunch of filthy cowards! They bombed you and still have you under subjugation 75years after - in the name of ties & treaties; subtly rubbing your humiliating defeat in WW2 in your ugly faces - even as she continues to re-inscribes her military victory over you as a means to drastically curtail your quest for vengeance & retaliation.

These Sushi-eating bastards should have marked this 75th anniversary by turning New York, Chicago, California, Washington, Texas & Pennsylvania into nuclear wastelands, inorder to send the incorrigible & belligerent children of Belial in the United States of Taliban a strong message that reads:

By now, the United States of Taliban would have become an empty football field - with every goddamn POW and their families speaking either Dutch or Russian. grin

https://onlineessays.com/essays/history/was-world-war-2-a-continuation-of-world-war-1.php

As in that Japan na mumu grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by peacefull(f): 7:14am On Aug 07, 2020
Zoharariel:

Please what is made you hate Japan and Japanese?
Ugly face made you calling Japanese coward and bastard?
Or war history? Culture?

Please if not disturbing you or bothering you, I really wanna know and I really wanna understand what made you hate and insult Japan and Japanese.

Please I want you to teach me and I wanna learn from you!
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 9:00am On Aug 07, 2020
Zoharariel:
Bunch of filthy cowards! They bombed you and still have you under subjugation 75years after - in the name of ties & treaties; subtly rubbing your humiliating defeat in WW2 in your ugly faces - even as she continues to re-inscribes her military victory over you as a means[s] to drastically curtail your quest for vengeance & retaliation.

[/s]

You are more pained than the Japanese grin
If Japan has access to atomic bomb den, am sure they will not hesitate to use it against US and China. Dont forget Japan was once a terror on ur Darling China

God bless America grin

1 Like

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 9:09am On Aug 07, 2020
Unnerve:
Such a disaster should never be allowed to happen again.

The US ought to throw all her nuclear weapons straight into the deepest ravines of the Pacific, just like they expect other countries to do.

It's better no country has them at all, than for some to believe they alone have the right to it.

Weather u like or not America remain the police of the world, that u see a police carrying gun that dosent give u the audacity to carry gun too.

I know u may not like my comment, but that is the fact grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Unnerve: 9:16am On Aug 07, 2020
Zoharariel:

They don't want to learn anything from their Chinese and North Korean cousins. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Unnerve: 9:17am On Aug 07, 2020
Originality007:

Weather u like or not America remain the police of the world, that u see a police carrying gun that dosent give u the audacity to carry gun too.

Police of the world that can't police an under-developed impoverished nation (according to them) like North Korea, is that one a police? grin
Even small Iran is giving them tough time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by brashear: 9:27am On Aug 07, 2020
Zoharariel:

Lol this is very funny.
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Crayfish09: 9:57am On Aug 07, 2020
Originality007:

Which police are you talking about? Lol. Those days are over.

Be honest with yourself. If it was Sri Lanka or Niger that was doing half of what Iran and North Korea is doing, do you think USA would not have invaded them?

They have always been chickens against countries that have EVEN THE SLIGHTEST means of fighting back. Also, why is the so-called world police not saying anything about the crimes by Israel, India and Saudia?

3 Likes

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 10:10am On Aug 07, 2020
Crayfish09:

Be honest with yourself. If it was Sri Lanka or Niger that was doing half of what Iran and North Korea is doing, do you think USA would not have invaded them?

They have always been chickens against countries that have EVEN THE SLIGHTEST means of fighting back. Also, why is the so-called world police not saying anything about the crimes by Israel, India and Saudia?

Watch him as he avoids that question grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Parkleader: 10:58am On Aug 07, 2020
Unnerve:

They don't want to learn anything from their Chinese and North Korean cousins. grin
Which cousins, Japanese were occupying and killing Chinese and Koreans so USA saved them rather, it was cruel though. Moreover America still helped them rebuild their country after that
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2020
Parkleader:

Which cousins, Japanese were occupying and killing Chinese and Koreans so USA saved them rather, it was cruel though. Moreover America still helped them rebuild their country after that

Well i won't say America rescued China from Japan. Mao Zedong's communist forces drove Japanese troops out of China. America waged those wars against Japan because of its own selfish interest in the Asia pacific region.

2 Likes

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Whyem15: 11:52am On Aug 07, 2020
Originality007:

Slave mentality in all its glory!!!

US not only killed thousands of people in Japan with nuclear weapons but also in the Marshall Islands under the guise of hydrogen bomb testing .
They evacuated humans away from bikini atoll but neighboring Rongelap atoll wasn't lucky.
The radioactive fallout quickly spread to the island killing several thousands and many are still dying from the radiation till today. US officials lied that the wind changed suddenly and they never expected it to reach the island but the truth is that they needed lab rats to study the effects of the weapon on humans and it was a deliberate act.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by juman(m): 2:20pm On Aug 07, 2020
Nigeria also need nuclear weapon.
It serves as deterrent to crazy yankees.
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Unnerve: 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2020
Parkleader:

Lol, they're cousins and cousins fight.
Nothing new
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Unnerve: 4:17pm On Aug 07, 2020
Crayfish09:

We must not also forget they have a knack for always arriving late for wars after most of the serious fighting/mass casualty phase is done.

2 Likes

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by mysticwarrior(m): 8:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
dermmy:

Well i won't say America rescued China from Japan. Mao Zedong's communist forces drove Japanese troops out of China. America waged those wars against Japan because of its own selfish interest in the Asia pacific region.
am really impress on how vast you are in terms of military history.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 8:58pm On Aug 07, 2020
mysticwarrior:
am really impress on how vast you are in terms of military history.

Thanks for the compliment mysticwarrior.
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 1:48pm On Aug 10, 2020
Crayfish09:

at the bolded, well that is where politics comes in. those Countries u mentioned are the friends of the world police, so u dont expect America not to b lenient with dem, moreover police may b aware u have gun but once u dont threatened anyone with wit, then No problem. grin

i know u still dont like my comment but no problem grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by rationalhuman(m): 2:08pm On Aug 10, 2020
Since when US can act as policemen against Russia, India, China ?
Yes i agree with you that for most part of the world America is indeed police but still there are exceptions on this planet.

Originality007:

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 2:11pm On Aug 10, 2020
[s]
Whyem15:

Slave mentality in all its glory!!!

US not only killed thousands of people in Japan with nuclear weapons but also in the Marshall Islands under the guise of hydrogen bomb testing .
They evacuated humans away from bikini atoll but neighboring Rongelap atoll wasn't lucky.
The radioactive fallout quickly spread to the island killing several thousands and many are still dying from the radiation till today. US officials lied that the wind changed suddenly and they never expected it to reach the island but the truth is that they needed lab rats to study the effects of the weapon on humans and it was a deliberate act.
[/s]

when u support America and d western, people like u tagged call such person a Slave, but u can side with China Russia and Iran, as if China is ur fatherland or Russia is ur motherand.

the earlier u realized that since the existence of the world, their is always power tussle, the strong will always rule the weak, and the strong will always find every possible mean to suppress the weak, to remain over the weak and to achieve that, the strong will apply anything possible against the weak. even according to Robert Greene in his book 48 laws of power, he said u dont have mercy on ur enemy, u crush dem to extent they will not b able to have strength for revenge. like i said earlier if Japanese back den have access to atomic weapon or any other wicked weapon they will not hesitate to to use dem against America. u are only pained because u dont like America grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2020
[s]
dermmy:

[/s]

the atomic attack render dem powerless grin.

dermmy learn how to say truth for once grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 2:15pm On Aug 10, 2020
dermmy:

Watch him as he avoids that question grin

not online for sometime grin

make i trigger this frustrated Senile joe boy small Abbeybailey , dont forget MAGA 2020 grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by dermmy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 10, 2020
Originality007:

the atomic attack render dem powerless grin.

dermmy learn how to say truth for once grin

Do you even understand what we are discussing?

1 Like

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by mysticwarrior(m): 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2020
Originality007:
[/s]

You are more pained than the Japanese grin
If Japan has access to atomic bomb den, am sure they will not hesitate to use it against US and China. Dont forget Japan was once a terror on ur Darling China

God bless America grin
seeing the destruction caused by the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Japanese people swore that they will never produce or use that kind of weapons against any nation.

2 Likes

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Crayfish09: 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2020
Originality007:
[/b]

at the bolded, well that is where politics comes in. those Countries u mentioned are the friends of the world police, so u dont expect America not to b lenient with dem, moreover police may b aware u have gun but once u dont threatened anyone with wit, then No problem. grin

i know u still dont like my comment but no problem grin

Yeah, no problem. Good news is that nobody fears them now except third world countriesgrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by Originality007: 12:01am On Aug 13, 2020
Crayfish09:

Yeah, no problem. Good news is that nobody fears them now except third world countriesgrin

Thier sanctions still works grin
Re: Hiroshima Marks 75th Anniversary Of World's First Atomic Bombing by obonujoker(m): 9:02am On Aug 13, 2020
Zoharariel:

USA is the number one country for now... No kill yourself

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos: Trump Holds Funeral Service For Younger Brother In The White House / Russia Government Forcing Their Men To War, Very Babaric / Trump Got Arrested, Looks Like Trump Resisted Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.