Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,451 members, 7,770,122 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:22 AM

10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr (1439 Views)

Reaction Of A Man After Attending Jehovah's Witnesses Wedding For The First Time / Shocking Before & After Photos Of A Man After Giving His Life To Christ / 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr by truespeak: 11:41am On Aug 07, 2020
BackllGodNaija:
The devil's not seeking this one. This one is a bonafide property of the devil. He is using him to spread his lies.

Stamped and sealed!

1 Like

Re: 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr by BackllGodNaija: 1:37pm On Aug 08, 2020
1. He was not a men-pleaser.

For anyone who truly desires to be a man after God's heart this is a very essential characteristics, because it's impossible to a men-pleaser and someone who craves the praises of men to also be a man after God's heart. This was one of the characteristics which stood David out from most men, as David showed on several different occasions, even from his youth that he was not interested in what men thought said about him or his actions but God.

One of such occasions was when he decided to take on Goliath, as his eldest brother Eliab's disapproval of him and actions did nothing to deter him from that which he had determined in his heart to achieve for God. Neither did Saul's discouraging words nor Goliath's mockery of his weapons amongst other such things. I Samuel 17:28-47.

That was while he was yet a youth but that didn't change even after he ascended the throne and became king of Israel, as this was one area where he was distinguished from king Saul, because king Saul was a men-pleaser and that was one of the things that caused his downfall, as it led him to disobey the commandment of God on two separate occasions which consequently led to his rejection by God. 1 Samuel 13:11, 15:24

But David who God used to replace king Saul showed that even though he had become king and that he was in the position of authority and great influence where many were drawn to him, he didn't forget the One who brought him there as most do. So his focus still remained on his God even if it meant him displeasing men including his wife who despised him when he danced before the Lord with all his might in the sight of the people despite being their king, as he said to her:

"It was before the LORD, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the LORD, over Israel: therefore will I play before the LORD.
And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour." 2 Samuel 6:21-22

Hence David showed one of the qualities which distinguished him from most men, that made him to be a man after God's heart.
Re: 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr by BackllGodNaija: 9:20am On Aug 11, 2020
2. He was selfless and humble leader who
cared about the sheep. He was willing to lay down his life for them.

"Sheep" in this instance implies the people he led, however before David became a leader of the people, he was also a leader of sheep in the literal sense even as a youth, as two of his achievements which he listed to king Saul to prove he was qualified to take on Goliath despite being just a youth and not a man of war, was how he saved a lamb from the mouths of both a lion and a bear, as he said:

"Thy servant kept his father's sheep, and there came a lion, and a bear, and took a lamb out of the flock:
And I went out after him, and smote him, and delivered it out of his mouth: and when he arose against me, I caught him by his beard, and smote him, and slew him.
Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God."
1 Samuel 17:34-36

Therefore he showed on those occasions that he really cared about his earthly father's sheep as he risked his life to save theirs. Perhaps that was what prepared him and gave him the experience he required for the real deal, which was to lead his heavenly Father's sheep, Israel. So what he did to save the lives of his earthly father's sheep from the mouths of the lion and the bear on those occasions, was the same thing he wanted to do on that occasion to save the lives of his heavenly Father's sheep from the hands of Goliath the giant, which was to put his life on the line.

That was not the only time but just one of the several occasions where he showed his exemplary and selfless leadership qualities, and how much he cared about the Lord's sheep.

He was a king that would lead by example even in the battle front as on this occasion when he "almost" got killed:

2 Samuel 21:15-17 (KJV)

Moreover the Philistines had yet war again with Israel; and David went down, and his servants with him, and fought against the Philistines: and David waxed faint.
And Ishbi-benob, which was of the sons of the giant, the weight of whose spear weighed three hundred shekels of brass in weight, he being girded with a new sword, thought to have slain David.
But Abishai the son of Zeruiah succoured him, and smote the Philistine, and killed him. Then the men of David sware unto him, saying, Thou shalt go no more out with us to battle, that thou quench not the light of Israel.

So this selfless and examplary leadership attitude of king David made the people of Israel who he led to love him so dearly, that they consider him to be their greatest ever king.

But most significantly, this was one of the qualities that also showed why he was a man after God's heart.
Re: 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr by BackllGodNaija: 10:50pm On Aug 14, 2020
3. He earnestly desired to do what pleases God and keep His Commandments.

This is one of King David's qualities that many appear to be oblivious of, as they often use just one or two instances in David's life where he fell into sin to define him. Hence their claims that he was just favored by God, as some even say he was a worse sinner than Saul, but it was just God's favor that caused His preferential treatment of David as compared to Saul.

Some even cite his praise singing as factorial in that, but this was what God Himself had to say concerning that:

1 Kings 3:14 (KJV)

And if thou wilt walk in my ways, to keep my statutes and my commandments, as thy father David did walk, then I will lengthen thy days.

So God showed by this His saying to David's son, Solomon, His opinion about David and why He treated David the special way He did even though David fell into sin in one or two occasions. It was not because of favor as many think, but because David devoted himself to do whatever God required of Him and kept His commandments.

So it doesn't matter what men give as the reason David was so loved by God and the special way He treated him, because this was the opinion of God Himself. This should also be the opinion of those who are truly of God concerning David, because having a contrary opinion to that as many do, would be ungodly. For even Saul himself who some of them claim to be more righteous than David, admitted that David was more righteous than he was, which was in agreement with God's opinion concerning David. 1 Samuel 24:17

Perhaps such contrary opinion of men in this regard explains what God meant when He said David had given His enemies as great occasion to blaspheme, as that blasphemy has continued unabated til this very day even though it happened millenniums ago.

But it was because of such things which David did as keeping God's commandments that made God decide to take that big one for Him regardless, because David had done what God required of him and was there for God when God needed someone, therefore God was also there for David when he needed Him the most.

Re: 10 Characteristics Of A Man After God's Heart - jesusjnr by BackllGodNaija: 8:47am On Aug 16, 2020
4. He didn't allow fame, glory, power, and riches, to derail him and take the place of God in his life.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Many Women Will Go To Hellfire / Explore The Encyclopeadia Of Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens) / How Wedding Gift Made Us Barren For 11 Years - Couple

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.