Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 (7828 Views)

See Full List Of 1966 Coup Plotters And Their Tribe / See Full List Of 1966 Coup Plotters And Their Tribe. / Igbos Are Not The Cause Of 1966 Coups Revealed Obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Guestlander: 9:16pm On Aug 07, 2020
kingzizzy:

Yes, that is Military rule. In Military rule, all appointments are subject to the overall Military leader. Thats why it is not democracy. The important thing here is that because Ironsi did not take away resource control or the revenue sharing formular/fiscal federalism agreed at independence, he did not introduce unitary rule. If the group of provinces, or Regions, still had control of their resources and still paid the agreed tax to the federal government, then there was no unitary rule during Ironsi's time.

Gowon came in and abolished the 4 Regions, created 12 states and took away resource control which made the Federal government too powerful to decide who gets what. Resource control is what decides what is unitary. Gowon introduced unitary rule as soon as he took away resource control away

The regions under Ironsi ceased to be the federating units from the day the decree 4 was enacted. They were there only for administrative reasons. That is all, you need to read up on what a proper federation should be.
You are just harping only on the fiscal aspect of it, a federation is far more than that.

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Guestlander: 9:23pm On Aug 07, 2020
kingzizzy:

The provincial and Regional leaders are always under someones control even in democracy. What matters is if the provinces and Regions had resource control which allows them to develop, manage and control whatever resources are on their lands and to keep the larger portion of the profits and pay the federal government an agree tax.

True federalism is all about resource control. Ironsi allowed resource control and thats why he couldn't have been the one who introduced unitary rule

Federalism is far more than just resource control. From local and municipal laws to policing and many other things. The Nigerian federalism is a complete farce.

5 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 9:40pm On Aug 07, 2020
ERockson:
Nothing igbo cannot deny, They denied first Coup, They denied Aguiyi Irosi decreed Unitary government even when everything is clear and on record.
But did you read the decree? It's right up there
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 9:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
Sammy07:

Ignorant
why are you bringing this thing na? The decree is right up there, why not just read it?
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 10:03pm On Aug 07, 2020
Pimpmaride:

Yes.. He did it out of greed.. Most regional governor didn't agreed with it.... Yet he pressed on..

Azikwe and ironsi had the same plan, igbo domination... It is a selfish decree.

He made Gowon capitalized on it in the Interest of the north

Ironsi, great evil

Gowon, greater evil

Just accept that he made it jare

I'm trying very hard not to be rude but you seem to be reasoning from your anus. So Ironsi is responsible for Gowon's actions? Gowon is a little infant who cannot be blamed and held accountable for decisions he made? Please explain to me how you reason please
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by freeborn02: 10:17pm On Aug 07, 2020
kingzizzy:

The decree called the Regions "group of provinces" because thats what they were. Its like calling a state in Nigeria a group of Local governments, thats what a state is. Whatever name one uses for the Regions or state isnt the issue. The issue is if everyone was controlling their resources. If everyone is controlling their resources then it is not unitary rule, it is true federalism. Ironsi maintained resource control throughout his time in power

Kindly read with understanding. If the name isn't an issue, it wouldn't have been changed. The document read that regionalism was abolished! and you here saying it doesn't matter?!

Do you even realise the meaning and strength of the word "abolish"

5 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by LegendHero(m): 10:18pm On Aug 07, 2020
kingzizzy:

The provincial and Regional leaders are always under someones control even in democracy. What matters is if the provinces and Regions had resource control which allows them to develop, manage and control whatever resources are on their lands and to keep the larger portion of the profits and pay the federal government an agree tax.

True federalism is all about resource control. Ironsi allowed resource control and thats why he couldn't have been the one who introduced unitary rule

Let me ask you two question:
—Why do you think it is called a “Unification Decree”?

—Also, Ironsi said Nigeria ceases to be a Federation and he proclaimed it a Republic. Do you know the difference between a Federation and a Republic? Do you think those words are embedded in the decree as mere cosmetics?

Resource control when the civil service is already a Federal Civil service commission answerable to the Supreme Military Council. The teachers/civil servants working in the Western Region have been merged with those of the Northern & Eastern and they are all called a Federal Civil Service and under the authority of the SMC.

Ironsi already set the motion for the eventual takeover of the resource controlling ability from the region, Gowon just came to nail the final coffin and that’s all.

Read the last (3) portion of the decree, Ironsi already made it so that he has the sole authority over the affairs of the people because he said the National Military council reserves the power to delegate duties UNcondiTionally to the military governors to make laws for the group of provinces in terms of good government.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by PHIPEX(m): 10:19pm On Aug 07, 2020
wirinet:

When you unify customs, immigration, police, radio and TV broadcast stations, and then insist on appointing the regional governors, what does that mean? Before the unification decree, each region ran it's own marketing board to market and sell it's own agricultural exports. After the unification of all the civil service and the federal government took over the marketing boards, agriculture died a natural death.
If it all about blaming the man that altered the admin structure of Federal civil service then we can as well blame Lugard, Awolowo, Zik and Bello because they all tampered with the admin structure of the country in one way or the other.

But no, the Federal became too powerful the day they took away "The resources of the states/region" that's the core of the problem and that is what Gowon did. You guys should stop running around peripherals. Custom, Immigration etc had always been the preserve of the central government from day one because no region was controlling customs, police and military. It's now a new era of free information not propaganda.

The spending power of the regions/states is what limited development not the location of the federal civil service
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 1:08am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

It was called the unification decree because it unified the civil service.

—Also, Ironsi said Nigeria ceases to be a Federation and he proclaimed it a Republic. Do you know the difference between a Federation and a Republic? Do you think those words are embedded in the decree as mere cosmetics?

Republic only means that Nigeria had become self governing. Nigeria had already become a Republic as at 1st October 1960.

Resource control when the civil service is already a Federal Civil service commission answerable to the Supreme Military Council. The teachers/civil servants working in the Western Region have been merged with those of the Northern & Eastern and they are all called a Federal Civil Service and under the authority of the SMC.

Lets not forget that this was military rule, its not like it was democracy. What matters beyond military rule is did Nigerians have resource control? Did the Regions have resource control and fiscal federalism? Under Ironsi's regime, they did. So how could Ironsi have introduced unitary rule in Nigeria if all the component areas of Nigeria still practiced resource control and fiscal federalism? Not possible

Ironsi already set the motion for the eventual takeover of the resource controlling ability from the region, Gowon just came to nail the final coffin and that’s all.

Read the last (3) portion of the decree, Ironsi already made it so that he has the sole authority over the affairs of the people because he said the National Military council reserves the power to delegate duties UNcondiTionally to the military governors to make laws for the group of provinces in terms of good government.

This is a lame excuse just to blame Ironsi. " Ironsi did something like he was going to to take away federalism so Gowon, who was supposed to be better than Ironsi, chose to be far worse"

Lol

1 Like

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 1:21am On Aug 08, 2020
freeborn02:

Kindly read with understanding. If the name isn't an issue, it wouldn't have been changed. The document read that regionalism was abolished! and you here saying it doesn't matter?!

Do you even realise the meaning and strength of the word "abolish"

The problem with people like you is that you are looking at words rather what was was done, which is far more important than words

Ironsi may have called the the Regions "group of provinces", but thats what they were

He may have called Nigeria a "Republic", but thats what Nigeria was as at 1st October 1960

No matter the words or terminology used in Decree 34, the fact is that Ironsi kept the essential ingredients of a federation or true federalism such as maintaining the 4 Regions of the time, keeping resource control and maintaining fiscal federalism/revenue sharing formular agreed at independence. Therefore, he couldn't have introduced unitary rule into Nigeria.

Unitary rule is not about changing names, it is about taking resource control away from the people and placing it in the hands of the federal government

1 Like

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 1:31am On Aug 08, 2020
Guestlander:

The regions under Ironsi ceased to be the federating units from the day the decree 4 was enacted. They were there only for administrative reasons. That is all, you need to read up on what a proper federation should be.
You are just harping only on the fiscal aspect of it, a federation is far more than that.

You obviously dont know what you are talking about because every part of a country is for administrative purpose. What matters is what powes the Government at the centre has and what powers the federating units have. If the federating units control their resources, just like Ironsi allowed, it is true federalism. If the government at the centre, or federal government, control the resources just like Gowon allowed, it is unitary rule

Whatever a federation should be, if the federating units do not control the resources on their land, and the federal government takes over their resources, it is no longer a federation
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 1:35am On Aug 08, 2020
Guestlander:

Federalism is far more than just resource control. From local and municipal laws to policing and many other things. The Nigerian federalism is a complete farce.

Yes federalism is more than resource control, but without resource control, there can be no federalism whatsoever
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Guestlander: 1:54am On Aug 08, 2020
kingzizzy:

You obviously dont know what you are talking about because every part of a country is for administrative purpose. What matters is what powes the Government at the centre has and what powers the federating units have. If the federating units control their resources, just like Ironsi allowed, it is true federalism. If the government at the centre, or federal government, control the resources just like Gowon allowed, it is unitary rule

Whatever a federation should be, if the federating units do not control the resources on their land, and the federal government takes over their resources, it is no longer a federation

You don't even have a basic knowledge of what federalism is. I will be wasting my time trying to explain anything to you.
According to your logic if the federating units control their resources but the federal government controls every other thing it is federalism. So?
Nigeria became a unitary state with Ironsi's decree 34. You can twist and bend it whichever way you want but that is the fact.

4 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by LegendHero(m): 2:20am On Aug 08, 2020
kingzizzy:

It was called the unification decree because it unified the civil service.

Republic only means that Nigeria had become self governing. Nigeria had already become a Republic as at 1st October 1960.

Lets not forget that this was military rule, its not like it was democracy. What matters beyond military rule is did Nigerians have resource control? Did the Regions have resource control and fiscal federalism? Under Ironsi's regime, they did. So how could Ironsi have introduced unitary rule in Nigeria if all the component areas of Nigeria still practiced resource control and fiscal federalism? Not possible

This is a lame excuse just to blame Ironsi. " Ironsi did something like he was going to to take away federalism so Gowon, who was supposed to be better than Ironsi, chose to be far worse"

Lol

I initially chose to ignore you because you don't even understand the topic of Federation and Republic and it is a disgrace that you can come online and say Nigeria is a republic as at Oct 1st 1960.

Let me try to educate you for free from my free education:
-Nigeria was a Federation pre-Oct 1960 but under the commonwealth and the authority of the British Queen as a colony of Britain.

-By Oct 1st 1960, Nigeria is still a Federation but it is now a sovereign nation. However, the British Queen still remained the Head of state in "Title".

Have you ever wondered why Azikwe only became the President in 1963? That was because Nigeria became a Federal Republic in 1963, which means that Azikwe replaced the British crown as the symbol of national sovereignty and head of state.

Now you will ask me what is the difference between the Republic in 1963 and the Republic of Ironsi, let me educate you.

When Nigeria became a republic in 1963, it was called the Federal Republic of Nigeria, we are still operating our constitution, the major thing that changed was the replacement of the Queen with the president (Azikwe). We severed ties with the British completely at that point.

However, Ironsi removed the Federal from it by his decree 34 and called it just "Republic of Nigeria". At that point it ceases to be a federation.

So the difference was that it was "Federal Republic of Nigeria" before and now "Republic of Nigeria".

I asked you earlier that do you think Ironsi is a comedian for promulgating that it ceases to be a federation? Don't you think that word "ceases to be a federation" carry enormous weight?

Check the decree below, Ironsi removed everything called Federal from the constitution.
-Federal Republic of Nigeria = Republic of Nigeria
-Federal Military Government = National Military Government
-Federal Capital Territory = Capital Territory.

Now go and read up the difference between a Federation and a Republic that Ironsi promulgated. Only then can you understand why people always say he initiated the unification and led us to this stage.

If you try to talk after this again, then I will just keep shut, but I have done my bit to educate you.

5 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by nku5: 4:52am On Aug 08, 2020
Guestlander:

I doubt if many of you can read. The decree is right here on this thread and you are still pretending you can't understand it like it was written in mandarin.

Prove you can read by showing me where the decree abolished fiscal federalism and regions. You guys have what is called cognitive dissonance grin You can't accept that all the old lies you grew hearing about 1966 and Igbos have been burned to ashes. Its painful i know grin grin

1 Like

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by wirinet(m): 5:44am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

I initially chose to ignore you because you don't even understand the topic of Federation and Republic and it is a disgrace that you can come online and say Nigeria is a republic as at Oct 1st 1960.

-Nigeria was a Federation pre-Oct 1960 but under the commonwealth and the authority of the British Queen as a colony of Britain.

-By Oct 1st 1960, Nigeria is still a Federation but it is now a sovereign nation. However, the British Queen still remained the Head of state in "Title".

Have you ever wondered why Azikwe only became the President in 1963? That was because Nigeria became a Federal Republic in 1963, which means that Azikwe replaced the British crown as the symbol of national sovereignty and head of state.

Now you will ask me what is the difference between the Republic in 1963 and the Republic of Ironsi, let me educate you.

When Nigeria became a republic in 1963, it was called the Federal Republic of Nigeria, we are still operating our constitution, the major thing that changed was the replacement of the Queen with the president (Azikwe). We severed ties with the British completely at that point.

However, Ironsi removed the Federal from it by his decree 34 and called it just "Republic of Nigeria". At that point it ceases to be a federation.

So the difference was that it was "Federal Republic of Nigeria" before and now "Republic of Nigeria".

I asked you earlier that do you think Ironsi is a comedian for promulgating that it ceases to be a federation? Don't you think that word "ceases to be a federation" carry enormous weight?

Check the decree below, Ironsi removed everything called Federal from the constitution.

Now go and read up the difference between a Federation and a Republic that Ironsi promulgated. Only then can you understand why people always say he initiated the unification and led us to this stage.

If you try to talk after this again, then I will just keep shut, but I have done my bit to educate you.
You are just wasting your time trying to educate him and his likes. In their minds the dogma that Gowon unified our country and so is responsible for all their problems is like a religion indoctrinated in them since birth. No evidence you present can't change their minds. It's just like the Ojukwu released Awolowo from prison dogma.

Abeg, save your energy and time.

3 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by wirinet(m): 6:14am On Aug 08, 2020
nku5:

Prove you can read by showing me where the decree abolished fiscal federalism and regions. You guys have what is called cognitive dissonance grin You can't accept that all the old lies you grew hearing about 1966 and Igbos have been burned to ashes. Its painful i know grin grin

Subject to the provisions of this Decree, Nigeria shall on 24th May 1966 (in this decree referred to as ‘the appointed day’) cease to be a Federation and shall accordingly as from that day be a Republic, by the name of the Republic of Nigeria , consisting of the whole of the territory which immediately before that day was comprised in the Federation.

Now grab a dictionary or Google and search for the meanings and differences between a Federation and a Republic.

Without prejudice to section 8 of this Decree, the person who immediately before the appointed day holds the office of Military Governor of a Region shall be deemed to have been appointed by the Head of the National Military Government as Military Governor of the corresponding group of provinces with effect from that day.

The Governors will now be appointees of the head of the military government instead of elected by the regional electorate.

As from the appointed day all offices in the service of the Republic in a civil capacity shall be offices in a single service to be known as the National Public Service; and accordingly all persons who immediately before that day are members of the public service of the Federation or of the public service of a Region shall on that day become members of the National Public Service.

This decree removed all administrative powers from the regions and concentrated it at the centre.
Also remember, General Ironsi had already promulgated the Constitution (Suspension and Modification) Decree, which suspended the Republican constitution of 1963. So I wonder which sharing formula and resource control you guys are talking about that Ironsi left intact.

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Why should Obasanjo reverse it when the structure favored the military and politicians?

Why should Obasanjo reverse the decree when Nigeria is already benefiting from the ND oil?

Ironsi is the architect of his people woes and Nigeria as a whole.

He made a very big mistake in promulgating that law and if he had lived long past the counter coup, he would have created states eventually coz he already set the template for states with the provinces.

Creating provinces will eventually make each province wary of the other (and more provincially conscious) and the issue of marginalization will eventually arise whereby leaders within each province can complain to the Supreme military government and can give room for a situation where Ironsi might give the provinces more autonomy from their Military governor of each corresponding provinces.

He already showed them that Provinces can be carved out from a region, the why not converting provinces to autonomous states? Gowon just banked on that and here we are today.

I wish kingzizzy can see this...

See what ironsi did... Changing region to province

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

lol. You igbos are always trying to be clever by half and it always show in your responses to situation.

How else should Yoruba call out Babangida? Do you know how many number of times we’ve all condemned Babangida, both elite and the common man for the issue of June 12th?

Should we rather go to his house in Minna and severe his head off from his body before we can be contented?

On the issue of Ironsi and the unification decree, it’s none of my business and Ironsi already got what greedy people like him deserved. He gave the framework for the unification decree, merged civil services to give room for the current system where the North were able to exploit all with their population. He created provinces within region there modifying working structure that he inherited and that was what Gowon later modified to create states too.

So Igbos have not been kicking a dead man in the name of Awolowo by lying daily that he caused their misfortune or betrayed them because the shameless Ojukwu lied to his people that he secured Awo release from detention.

Kingzizzy pls read this... Learn pls

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 08, 2020
kingzizzy:

You still dont get it. As long as each Region was controlling its resources and keeping the larger share of the proceeds from its lands and paying the government what was agreed as at independence, none of the above matters. Thats what obtained during Ironsi's time. As long as Ironsi did not tamper with resource control and the fiscal policy of the time, and he did not, he could not have been the one who introduced unitary rule

Just shut up.... He introduced what is known as unitary rule

It was his template that gowon built on and created states...

Ironsi started it first

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 08, 2020
melodyogonna:

I'm trying very hard not to be rude but you seem to be reasoning from your anus. So Ironsi is responsible for Gowon's actions? Gowon is a little infant who cannot be blamed and held accountable for decisions he made? Please explain to me how you reason please

Shut up. Pls read the picture Legendhero posted..

Ironsi started it... Gowon capitalized on it...

Check the pictures Legendhero posted....

Ironsi gave Nigeria to the federal govt and politicians...

He changed Nigeria from federation to republic and that is where the problem started

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

melodyogonna, if u av sense... Read this man post.... He posted pictures too, not just mouth...learn pls

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Kingzizzy this man is educating u.. Pls learn

Thank u Legendhero

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Tflex01: 7:58am On Aug 08, 2020
Igbos always blame others except themselves.
Let's see them in history. This write up is a good read. Enjoy!
Do you know that when Azikiwe formed government with Tafawa Balewa in the early 60s (Tafawa Balewa was Prime Minister of Nigeria and Azikiwe was the ceremonial president) this was what we had:
Chief of Army Staff was from SE
Chief of Naval Staff was from SE
IG of Police was from SE
Chief of Defence staff was fron SE
Internal Affairs Minister SE
External Affairs Minister SE
Education Minister South SE
Many other key ministries to SE
Parliament President SE
Unilag VC from SE
University of Ibadan VC from SE
North resisted same at ABU!
Still there was dissatisfaction by SE, the officers from the region killed this same Balewa!!!!
Out of all the most senior officers in Nigeria, SE has 37, none was killed. 8 from the north, all of them were killed. 10 from the west, 2 were killed.
Then Ironsi imposed a unitary system of government on the country so that everything can belong to a region who snatched it!
We must know our history so that when we want to make corrections, we will not end up concealing the truth. This has nothing to do with tribalism but everything to do with the truth.....at times when lies litter the streets. There is the tendency to think those are truths and facts.
"What follows are documented facts that can be cross checked for authenticity!"
Thou shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.
“Prof. Ben Nwabueze was the man who drafted the constitution that took away powers from regions and handed it to the central govt because his brother Aguiyi Ironsi was the head of state then. Today, he is shouting restructuring that he helped to destroy. We won’t forget.”. Let those who have ears
WHAT BIAFRANS WILL NEVER TELL YOU ABOUT THE REAL CAUSE OF THEIR WOES IN NIGERIA TODAY:
The Igbo man is known to enjoy blaming the Hausafulanis, Yorubas and indeed every other Nigerian tribe and Lord Luggard/Britain for their seeming claim of being in third class citizen status in Nigeria. In their perpetual attempts to play the victim card, they recount the political events of Nigeria from 1914 to the present in a half-baked and highly selective manner which cleverly avoids the mention of the roles played by their elite who by all natural laws of judgement were actually responsible for the woes that befell not only the Igbo race but the entire Nigeria nation.
The story told in the post above is one of such selective and distorted accounts of history which the average Igbo man is fond of narrating.
However, the national archives have the complete and unedited history of Nigeria regarding the political events beginning way back from even before 1914. I will therefore proceed to furnish my readers with the complete story for all to read and be endowed with enough facts so as to judge and act from an informed position.
Shortly after the 1914 Amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorates, it started getting clear that the country was bound to fail as the amalgamation in question was done with colonial fiat without the consent and consensus of the different tribes which were over 300. This prompted the political leaders to start asking for de-amalgamation so as to forestall the future danger which the forced amalgamation portended.
To that end, Ahmadu Bello, speaking on behalf of the Northern protectorate in 1944 described the amalgamation as "The mistake of 1914 which if allowed to remain will ultimately lead to unstoppable bloodshed and a failed country".
Awolowo, speaking on behalf of the Yorubas and Western minorities, described Nigeria as a mere geographical expression not qualified to be called a country let alone a nation. Awolowo added that if the amalgamation could not be reversed, then Nigeria should be structured as a strictly federal state so as to enable each tribe enjoy autonomy this freedom from being dominated by any one single tribe.
But Nnamdi Azikiwe, speaking for the Igbos, denounced Awolowo and Ahmadu Bello, terming them ethnic champions. He accused them of nursing a sectional agenda against the unity of Nigeria, and he declared further that the Unity of Nigeria was non-negotiable.
After moving the motion for independece in 1953, Anthony Enahoro proposed that a secession clause should be incorporated into the future constitution of Nigeria so as to give legal backing for any tribe to peacefully exit the forced union if it feels marginalized in future. According to Enahoro, such provision in our constitution would instill in all Nigeria's future leaders the fear of the consequences of misgovernance. But Azikiwe, speaking on behalf of Igbos, rose against him in the parliament and labelled him an agent of disunity, and enemy of Nigeria. At a later date, Awolowo too made a case for secession clause, but Azikiwe again resisted him and instigated the colonial authorities to threaten him and Enahoro with charges of treasonable felony if they didn't stop proposing secession clause for the future constitution. While Azikiwe did all these, Igbos cheered and urged him on because they felt the future Nigeria was theirs to dominate and lord it over every other tribe
Before independece, Tafawa Balewa too had in a public speech described Nigeria as a British experiment and Nigeria's unity as a British intention which Nigerians themselves don't believe in. But Azikiwe kicked and demonized him too. Had Azikiwe co-operated with Enahoro, Awolowo, Ahmadu Bello and Tafawa Balewa about the secession clause, Nigeria perhaps would not have been this misgoverned.
For those in doubt, here is a link of one of the numerous instances in which Nnamdi Azikiwe fought against the secession clause proposal for the future Nigeria constitution.
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 8:02am On Aug 08, 2020
Pimpmaride:

Kingzizzy this man is educating u.. Pls learn

Thank u Legendhero

He is not educating anything, he is far more interested in names and terms than what obtained at the time
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 08, 2020
kingzizzy:

He is not educating anything, he is far more interested in names and terms than what obtained at the time

I know u... U will still refuse to learn.... That is how ur kind behaves, so far it doesn't suit u, it is not right...

We know ur people like that

1 Like

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Tflex01: 8:07am On Aug 08, 2020
ERockson:
Nothing igbo cannot deny, They denied first Coup, They denied Aguiyi Irosi decreed Unitary government even when everything is clear and on record.

They are even denying the fact that Azikiwe rejected Awolowo and other great southern leaders to team up with the North. So as to rule the south and other regions in Nigeria forever.

2 Likes

Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 8:10am On Aug 08, 2020
LegendHero:

Your problem is that you are far more interested in words and terms than what was actually practiced. Nigeria is today called a federal Republic but everyone knows that there is nothing federal about Nigeria

The question you should ask is if Ironsi allowed resource control and the fiscal policy agreed at independence. Dwelling on terms and names and leaving the main substance of what was practiced is just ignorance
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by nku5: 8:14am On Aug 08, 2020
wirinet:

Now grab a dictionary or Google and search for the meanings and differences between a Federation and a Republic.

The Governors will now be appointees of the head of the military government instead of elected by the regional electorate.

This decree removed all administrative powers from the regions and concentrated it at the centre.
Also remember, General Ironsi had already promulgated the Constitution (Suspension and Modification) Decree, which suspended the Republican constitution of 1963. So I wonder which sharing formula and resource control you guys are talking about that Ironsi left intact.

Show me where the decree where Ironsi expunged resource control. I am not interested in your biased opinion. I need facts

If we are examining dictionary definitions then Nigeria is not a Federation today in fiscal terms. The regional military governors could not be elected (of course) and had powers to make laws (edicts) for their enclaves subject to approval. The best Nigeria ever had in a military government.
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by kingzizzy: 8:14am On Aug 08, 2020
Pimpmaride:

I know u... U will still refuse to learn.... That is how ur kind behaves, so far it doesn't suit u, it is not right...

We know ur people like that

There is nothing to learn. Federalism is all about resource control. If Ironsi allowed resource control, which he did, then there no way he could have introduced unitary rule. It is not possible to have resource control and unitary rule at the same time. Its like someone saying that there can be day and night at the same time.
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by melodyogonna(m): 8:20am On Aug 08, 2020
Pimpmaride:

Shut up. Pls read the picture Legendhero posted..

Ironsi started it... Gowon capitalized on it...

Check the pictures Legendhero posted....

Ironsi gave Nigeria to the federal govt and politicians...

He changed Nigeria from federation to republic and that is where the problem started
U no get sense. Why can't you hold Gowon responsible for destroying the structure? why are you blaming Ironsi for something Gowon did?
Re: Aguyi Johnson Ironsi - The Unification Decree: No. 34 Of 1966 by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 08, 2020
kingzizzy:

There is nothing to learn. Federalism is all about resource control. If Ironsi allowed resource control, which he did, then there no way he could have introduced unitary rule. It is not possible to have resource control and unitary rule at the same time. Its like someone saying that there can be day and night at the same time.

We know ur people.. We know their behavior.. Argue without proofs...

Bye

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amaechi To Build $150m Mega Hospital In Port Harcourt / Happy 71st Birthday To IBB / BUSTED!!! POLICE UNCOVER Anambra Hotel Where Human Meat Is Served (2014)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.