Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,357 members, 7,800,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online (12001 Views)

Edafe Dogo Is Babcock University Best Graduating Student, A Mother Of Two / Babcock University In Pictures / Beautiful Pictures Of Babcock University Students In Styles (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by HigherEd: 12:00pm On Aug 07, 2020
While Nigerian universities are still under locks owing to both the COVID-19 pandemic and ASUU strike, Babcock University is preparing for the virtual convocation ceremony of their graduating students.

After all forms of physical teaching were halted in order to restrict people from spreading the Coronavirus, some private schools and universities continued with lectures and tests.

According to a source close to the school, Babcock University made use of the virtual conference platform, Zoom, to carry on with lectures, complete tests, conduct exams as well as for project defence.

Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the school already conducted some exams online from its CBT centre. General courses like the use of library and some of its 100 and 200 level courses already had their exams taken online from the CBT centre.

To meet the challenge of assessing students by examinations and quizzes, the school connected its online examination platform to each student’s portal thereby making it accessible from other remote venues besides the CBT centre.

The challenges when Babcock went virtual
For the students, it was an easy transition because the institution already issued each one of them a Samsung tablet that aids study. Before moving classes to Zoom, the need for a suitable device had already been met.

The devices came at no additional cost to the student besides ensuring that they had adequate supply of data and electricity.

The virtual examination platform, however, was another story. The first time it was used, the platform proved unable to handle the traffic of students that needed to write their exams on it. But Babcock has since scaled up the platform and it now handles every traffic.

Still employing technology, final year students of the institution are set for their graduation ceremony on August 20. While a select few will be invited to represent the entire set at a physical ceremony, others will join the event via Zoom.

The problem with online studies in Federal and state Institutions
Responding to the progress made by private universities like Covenant and Babcock University, some undergraduates of federal and state-owned universities have taken to Twitter to share their opinions on why the online model is not working in their schools.

For some, the lecturers in these institutions do not have relevant and updated content that can be taught in video format to the student. According to @am_leg_end_ary, “Normally some of our lecturers just come to class to read note without any proper explanation I doubt if they will have any reasonable thing to teach.”

A glaring reason why the online model may not be easily embraced by these other universities is that the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has taken a stance against online learning. According to the President of ASUU, Prof Abiodun Ogunyemi, “It (virtual learning) will not work.”

“Let’s break it down; when you talk of virtual learning practically online teaching and learning, I think the first question we need to ask ourselves is: do we have the infrastructure for that? When you talk of infrastructures in the institutions concerned, do they have facilities? And if you want to take it to individuals, can they afford it?”

To support Ogunyemi’s stance, some students agree that infrastructure and cost are two major reasons why the model is not being embraced by schools.

As the Universities prepare to reopen, whatever the stance of schools is towards online learning, it is evident that technology has created a divide between students in tertiary institutions in Nigeria.

Whether the online model is perfect or still in its formative stage, the schools that have embraced it for academic continuity have made some progress and have results to show for it.

https://technext.ng/2020/08/05/babcock-university-to-conduct-online-graduation-ceremony-amid-ASUU-strike/

1 Like

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by HigherEd: 12:00pm On Aug 07, 2020
Makes sense
Lalasticlala
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Karlifate: 12:24pm On Aug 07, 2020
Good for them.
It's a welcome development.
Public Unis will NOT be able to achieve this for now, cos school fees will skyrocket & any funds made available by the Government, will be looted.

As the Universities is preparing to open, whatever the stance of schools is toward online learning, it is evident that technology has created a divide between students in tertiary institutions in Nigeria.
Whether the online is perfect or still in its formative stage, the schools that have embraced it for academic continuity have made some progress and have results to show for it.
Mr Biodun Ogunyemi has said it all.
There will be imbalance in the human world, whether we like it or not BUT that shouldn't stop us from striving to be our best self.

4 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by CotenantNIG: 12:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
its funny how the so called "Glorified Secondary Schools" have left the rest behind

i wanted to register for a research program one time and i was asked for my school mail, i didnt have any because my school didnt give me any even thou we have portal but my friends that went to CU all have a school mail

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Sundaypaul12345: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2020
Great
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Matheusmartin: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2020
Those of us in public unis go wait tire.. cry

6 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by MasterDreamz: 1:23pm On Aug 07, 2020
While we in public institutions are 'in debt of strike'; Nasu/Ssanu wants to take over from ASUU as soon as we resume.

God! Me self want better and easy life o!

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Slimzjoe(m): 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2020

It's funny how we call them "Glorified secondary school" and other names when in reality, they are way ahead of us in Government schools where we have so many Sadistic Lecturers who derive so much Joy in seeing Students beg.

8 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by jospepper(m): 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2020
Many will not attend.
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Tobimercy(f): 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2020
What happened in Kogi governorship election is going to be a child's play to what is going to happen in Edo election. I just pity for those that will loss their lives on that day. Because Obaseki and his deputy already knows the modules operandi of APC when it comes to disruption and rigging of elections.
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Nobody: 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2020
School for the rich.

1 Like

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by izzyboi(m): 1:26pm On Aug 07, 2020
This is wonderful. Sadly it can only work in private schools for now

Buy, sell or swap your phone on https://phonedey.com.ng now
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by tammie24: 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2020
Great! No time for nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by seunlayi(m): 1:27pm On Aug 07, 2020
This is called " The New Order". My dear repented Khalifa will also have the opportunity to watch it life from her local or foreign base after she moved onangry grin
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Brandonx(m): 1:28pm On Aug 07, 2020
grin
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by EdmundChidera(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
They might still wait for others to graduate and join them to do NYSC anyways kudos to them

I'm a professional business consultant and our service is exceptional. Check my signature for your proper consultancy.
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Jeromejnr(m): 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2020
Private schools are graduating students because of better infrastructure and technology.

Later some haters would come and say why are Private schools expensive, glorified secondary school blablabla.

You better leave your primitive mentality and appreciate good when you see them. If you don't have money, instead of hating, pray.

7 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 07, 2020
Barbcock will shall never forget grin
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Peteru1st(m): 1:34pm On Aug 07, 2020
sending graduation gowns through DHL.. all I see is a school and students that have money. students at OSU that don't even have money for manual, will they pay for DHL??

4 Likes

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by askakim(m): 1:36pm On Aug 07, 2020
when we dey school like 11yrs ago , o boy, nothing like E Graduation, E- Exam, E- Defence project defence.. Thank God for Zoom cloud and other E learning things...Even Church service now Na through Zoom..
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by yourgistpartner: 1:42pm On Aug 07, 2020
simple zoom Senate sitting on results, OAU never do.

the most painful thing is that it is the same lecturers that act like they can't operate system in Ife that will organise all the online parol in babcock
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by VTJN(m): 1:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
CotenantNIG:
its funny how the so called "Glorified Secondary Schools" have left the rest behind

i wanted to register for a research program one time and i was asked for my school mail, i didnt have any because my school didnt give me any even thou we have portal but my friends that went to CU all have a school mail

Which mail are u talking about, cos i have a registered mail i used 4 online transaction and it's recognised by the sch mgt.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by CotenantNIG: 1:44pm On Aug 07, 2020
VTJN:
Which mail are u talking about, cos i have a registered mail i used 4 online transaction and it's recognised by the sch mgt.

@unn.org

1 Like

Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Wentworthorg: 1:50pm On Aug 07, 2020
We live in a virtual world now
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by Person2person(m): 1:51pm On Aug 07, 2020
Ok
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by fatymore(f): 1:55pm On Aug 07, 2020
Congrats to them
Re: Babcock University To Conduct Graduation Online by chukwuibuipob: 2:02pm On Aug 07, 2020
angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EKSU Governing Council Proscribes Union Activities, Shuts Down School / School is not a scam / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon.patrick Speech On ASUU STRIKE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.