Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:28 PM

Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year (15822 Views)

‘Now I Know Who I Am’: Giannis Antetokounmpo Makes An Epic First Trip Home . / NBA: MVP Antetokounmpo To Visit Nigerian, Set To Trace Roots / Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2019 NBA MVP Award (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by RuggedSniper: 8:11pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:
Giannis Shina Adetokunbo (Antetokounmpo)

is a Greek professional basketball player for the Milwaukee Bucks of the National Basketball Association (NBA). Born in Greece to Nigerian parents.

He won the last MVP award.
^^^ABSOLUTELY! grin Yoruba father and Ibo-speaking mother.
#GiannisAdetokunboMVP (2019-2020) regular season.
#HakeemthedreamOlajuwonMVP (1993-1994) and (1994-1995) regular seasons.
#Nigeria/Yoruba NBA Most Valuable Players (MVPs)

Edrice Femi "Bam" Adebayo and Giannis Adetokunbo
contesting on court for the basketball in the picture
below.

1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by maitrelalley1(m): 8:20pm On Aug 09, 2020
Adetokunbo turn Antetokounmpo....chai!
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by GEEBITE: 8:23pm On Aug 09, 2020
Hakeem the King of low post moves.Nobidy was able to to stop that dream shake.It was always a catch 22 on that move,if you move with him you are sold,if you stall,you are a statue..Dikembe Mutombo came to steal his shine later in blocked shots.
NOHOLDSBAR:

Hakeem the dream.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by bizhop01: 8:23pm On Aug 09, 2020
I believe the guy doesn't play for Nigeria Dtiger, because his doing well in Europe and America NBA you will called him Nigerian.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2020
Crispels:

He identifies as both. If he doesn't, why did he launch shoes that pay tribute to his Nigerian heritage? Check out his social media handles and see if you won't see a Nigerian flag there.

Marketing strategy 101.

Find a means to identify with a potential customer base - outside fandom- ( & mostly by nationality.)

Once this is done... Mega sales are assured.

The NBA, Teams and endorsement partners encourage it (strongly)
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2020
Crispels:

How did the country fail him? Check his social media handles, he identifies as both a Nigerian and Greek.

Why dafuq did his parents leave the country only to suffer neglect in Greece,if not for a failed system? Have you read his biography? I have. They went through hell in Greece to survive. Dude sold anything sellable to get by. His dad got sick and died without adequate medical care.

If he had a country, they wouldn't need to permanently change his surname to Adetoukonmpo or whatever. His first name is Giannis,his brother's is Thanasis, all Greek names so they could integrate and be accepted in another man's country. It still took him to get above 18 years before he could become a citizen for fuq's sakes.

Identifying as Nigerian won't make him play for the D'Tigers. Just like Anthony Joshua wont represent Nigeria at any Olympics no matter how well he sings 'Ojuelegba' by Wizkid. Giannis is Greek,period.

The earlier the youths here rise up and get the proper things put in place,talents like Giannis will forever be representing other countries while Nigeria will be forming 'GUMBODY' every time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Sonnyboom: 8:26pm On Aug 09, 2020
VillageBus:
nice one, but we all know say na LeBron go win am.
this is how your parent sow hatred bigotry in your soul from childhood. The same bigotry you are bound to perish from n gift to your unborn children.

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by VillageBus(m): 8:27pm On Aug 09, 2020
Sonnyboom:
this is how your parent sow hated bigotry in your soul from childhood. The same bigotry you are bound to perish from n gift to your unborn children.
Bro, wetin I do?

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by LukasPodolski: 8:28pm On Aug 09, 2020
martineverest:
Na Greek o....Nigerians wan claim am by force
Why are you guys so unpatriotic?

When a Nigerian in diaspora does something bad, y'all will come here to talk trash with your filthy mouths.

Giannis himself confirmed his Nigerian origin, his elder brother was born in Nigeria... Go to his Instagram, Twitter he acknowledged Nigeria.
https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/nigeria-is-in-my-blood-nba-star-giannis-antetokounmpo-speaks-on-his-nigerian-roots/7hmmvvj
https://theundefeated.com/features/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-greek-freak-wants-to-go-back-to-his-nigerian-roots/

That what you guys said until I Anthony Joshua's case untill he visited Nigeria, tour some part of the country, registered for NIGERIAN passport infact in the presence of the great queen Elizabeth he said some nice stuffs about NIGERIA.

It's a matter of time, the likes of Bukayo Saka, Tomori (thank God he hasn't played for England) will join Super eagles.

Madridsta007
Luminouz

Jaqenhghar

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Sonnyboom: 8:36pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nicepoker:
You have started. when hushpuppi was arrested you went into hiding. respect yourself
Did your father show up when tobichukwu. Obiwanne and their 80 gang of thieves were caught like chicken. That is not to talk about the gang of lunatics daredevil robbers from your tribe that went to rob a bank in Dubai in broad daylight. Your foolish tribesmen can praises yourself over irrelevant achievements but you don't want a tribe Supreme to that of your father celebrate remarkable achievements.

3 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Crispels(m): 8:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
topcatking:

Marketing strategy 101.

Find a means to identify with a potential customer base - outside fandom- ( & mostly by nationality.)

Once this is done... Mega sales are assured.

The NBA, Teams and endorsement partners encourage it (strongly)

It's no marketing strategy. Go and watch the documentary about the idea behind the shoes.

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by davidque: 8:41pm On Aug 09, 2020
No wonder i like him. i never knew he was Nigerian, i always thought he was from another African country. Great to see some Nigerians giving us a good name out there

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:

When a Nigerian in diaspora does something bad, y'all will come here to talk trash with your filthy mouths.

Giannis himself confirmed his Nigerian origin, his elder brother was born in Nigeria... Go to his Instagram, Twitter he acknowledged Nigeria.
https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/nigeria-is-in-my-blood-nba-star-giannis-antetokounmpo-speaks-on-his-nigerian-roots/7hmmvvj
https://theundefeated.com/features/bucks-giannis-antetokounmpo-greek-freak-wants-to-go-back-to-his-nigerian-roots/

That what you guys said until I Anthony Joshua's case untill he visited Nigeria, tour some part of the country, registered for NIGERIAN passport infact in the presence of the great queen Elizabeth he said some nice stuffs about NIGERIA.

It's a matter of time, the likes of Bukayo Saka, Tomori (thank God he hasn't played for England) will join Super eagles.

Madridstar007
Luminouz

Jaqenhghar

Alaye, stop with the shalaye jooor...

A country that rejected Joshua shouldn't dream of trying to claim him after he made it abroad. Same goes for Giannis.

Stop calling me unpatriotic because I said the truth. My blood is Green, my eyes are white and I'm from Ekiti, State of the Green Mountain Gods! I'm as patriotic as I can be.

2 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Nicepoker(m): 8:43pm On Aug 09, 2020
Sonnyboom:

Did your father show up when tobichukwu. Obiwanne and their 80 gang of thieves were caught like chicken. That is not to talk about the gang of lunatics daredevil robbers from your tribe that went to rob a bank in Dubai in broad daylight. Your foolish tribesmen can praises yourself over irrelevant achievements but you don't want a tribe Supreme to that of your father celebrate remarkable achievements.

If one is not from the west . Then he is from the east. stop typing under your mother's bed.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Jaqenhghar: 9:01pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:

Madridsta007
Luminouz

Jaqe nhghar

What you call patriotism is simply reaching. Something shameless,lazy, unproductive people do. You sit down and start looking for people with Niggerian ancestry to claim as your own. You guys are so pathetic that whatever accolades they achieve for their countries you claim as your own. When AJ won boxing gold for GB it became " a gold for Nigeria" . The annoying thing is the reason you MFers even look at them is because the oyinbos celebrate them. If oyinbo dont celebrate them we wont hear a word. Na una own go and drag him to come to naija by force nah

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Guestlander: 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
martineverest:
he is Greek ,not Nigerian..

the fact the his parents greek-cised 'adetokunbo' to antemtokumpo speaks alot

The spelling was a mistake made by the greek authorities and the parents decided not to change it.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Sonnyboom: 9:02pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nicepoker:
If one is not from the west . Then he is from the east. stop typing under your mother's bed.
Not necessarily but despicable soul like yours doomed with inherited hate, irredeemable bigotry n acute foolishness are 99.982% from there.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Jaqenhghar: 9:03pm On Aug 09, 2020
luminouz:

A country that rejected Joshua shouldn't dream of trying to claim him after he made it abroad. Same goes for Giannis.

Stop calling me unpatriotic because I said the truth. My blood is Green, my eyes are white and I'm from Ekiti, State of the Green Mountain Gods! I'm as patriotic as I can be.
Dont mind them. The reason they try to identify with them is simply because they have become successful. See that Efe guy, the boxer. Nobody is talking about him in spite of his skills. The day oyinbos start hailing him thats when he will become their own

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by ReeLoaDead(m): 9:04pm On Aug 09, 2020
Greece rushed to claim him as Greek when he started balling grin
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by LukasPodolski: 9:05pm On Aug 09, 2020
luminouz:

When did that happen? I meant rejection of Joshua?
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by LukasPodolski: 9:08pm On Aug 09, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

What you call patriotism is simply reaching. Something shameless,lazy, unproductive people do. You sit down and start looking for people with Niggerian ancestry to claim as your own. You guys are so pathetic that whatever accolades they achieve for their countries you claim as your own. When AJ won boxing gold for GB it became " a gold for Nigeria" . The annoying thing is the reason you MFers even look at them is because the oyinbos celebrate them. If oyinbo dont celebrate them we wont hear a word. Na una own go and drag him to come to naija by force nah
Will you keep quiet?

Oniranu, shifting goal post...

Imagine if Giannis was a convict, idiots like you will call him a Nigerian.

May you suffer for 600 years.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Taciturn1: 9:13pm On Aug 09, 2020
BrownLondon:
Yoruba boys making Naija proud.
His mother is Igbo
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Crispels(m): 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2020
luminouz:

Why dafuq did his parents leave the country only to suffer neglect in Greece,if not for a failed system? Have you read his biography? I have. They went through hell in Greece to survive. Dude sold anything sellable to get by. His dad got sick and died without adequate medical care.

If he had a country, they wouldn't need to permanently change his surname to Adetoukonmpo or whatever. His first name is Giannis,his brother's is Thanasis, all Greek names so they could integrate and be accepted in another man's country. It still took him to get above 18 years before he could become a citizen for fuq's sakes.

Identifying as Nigerian won't make him play for the D'Tigers. Just like Anthony Joshua wont represent Nigeria at any Olympics no matter how well he sings 'Ojuelegba' by Wizkid. Giannis is Greek,period.

The earlier the youths here rise up and get the proper things put in place,talents like Giannis will forever be representing other countries while Nigeria will be forming 'GUMBODY' every time.

No one is saying he is not Greek. But people identify him as both a Nigerian and Greek. I'm also based in the US and even if I have an American passport, that does not stop me from identifying as a Nigerian as well. Go and watch his speech when he won the MVP last year. One of his brothers is even still in Lagos. If you follow him on Instagram - you will know his thoughts on all of these.

The fact that people are born abroad or hold dual citizenship doesn't make them less Nigerian. So, as a Nigerian in the US now, if I give birth to kids in America, does that mean they are not Nigerians as well - apart from also being an American by birth?

I understand your point on why we must make Nigeria better for talents but being born abroad does not make one less Nigerian. Giannis has said this so many times when people try to claim he is not an African.

Check out Erica Ogwumike. She was born in the US to Nigerian parents. She was the best female basketball athlete in US colleges last year - she had the opportunity to play for America but she chose to play for the Nigerian D’Tigress. Check out most of those playing for the Nigerian basketball teams - many of them are Nigerians that were born in Amerca. If they are not Nigerians(like you are trying to claim because they were born abroad), how were they eligible to play for Nigeria? Mind you, even Anthony Joshua first wanted to represent Nigeria in the Olympics but he eventually had to settle for the British after he was rejected by the Nigerian trainers.

4 Likes

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Jaqenhghar: 9:17pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:

Will you keep quiet?

No superior arguments just motor park insults and childish curses.

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 9:37pm On Aug 09, 2020
Crispels:

No one is saying he is not Greek. But people identify him as both a Nigerian and Greek. I'm also based in the US and even if I have an American passport, that does not stop me from identifying as a Nigerian as well. Go and watch his speech when he won the MVP last year. One of his brothers is even still in Lagos. If you follow him on Instagram - you will know his thoughts on all of these.

The fact that people are born abroad or hold dual citizenship doesn't make them less Nigerian. So, as a Nigerian in the US now, if I give birth to kids in America, does that mean they are not Nigerians as well - apart from also being an American by birth?

I understand your point on why we must make Nigeria better for talents but being born abroad does not make one less Nigerian. Giannis has said this so many times when people try to claim he is not an African.

Check out Erica Ogwumike. She was born in the US to Nigerian parents. She was the best female basketball athlete in US colleges last year - she had the opportunity to play for America but she chose to play for the Nigerian D’Tigress. Check out most of those playing for the Nigerian basketball teams - many of them are Nigerians that were born in Amerca. If they are not Nigerians(like you are trying to claim because they were born abroad), how were they eligible to play for Nigeria? Mind you, even Anthony Joshua first wanted to represent Nigeria in the Olympics but he eventually had to settle for the British after he was rejected by the Nigerian trainers.

You didn't get my point.

I wasnt talking about them just being born outside the country. I'm talking of how their country failed their parents, which made them leave for greener pastures. If the land was green here,there would be no need to emigrate. Joshua was even rejected by Nigeria despite being born abroad. If he turned out to be Al-Qaeda terrorist, will Nigeria be rushing to claim him upandan? Giannis parents went through hell because their birth country failed them. Their kids suffered and when it seemed they have made it, suddenly out comes Nigeria to claim the credit. If things were rosy here, these talents would have developed here and be fully Nigerian. But now,these two are lost to us as Greece and UK will never allow them to play for this country again.

Take care of your citizens and they will remain solely yours forever. That is my point.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 9:42pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:

When did that happen? I meant rejection of Joshua?

Its on Google bro
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 9:46pm On Aug 09, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Dont mind them. The reason they try to identify with them is simply because they have become successful. See that Efe guy, the boxer. Nobody is talking about him in spite of his skills. The day oyinbos start hailing him thats when he will become their own

The Efe Ajagba was left stranded in Ughelli after a tournament(forgotten which). The Sports federation didn't pay his allowances and he had to raise money on his own to travel out of the country to the US. Last week, he signed with a promoter that promotes Tyson Fury and some big shots. Naso these Nigerian GUMBODY champions now remembered him and were congratulating him upandan. Hypocrites.

If you dont take care and value your own,dont cry wolf when someone else who values it, takes over.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 9:47pm On Aug 09, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

You nailed that Mfuqer!!! grin

Dont mind them. Patriotism kee em dia. undecided

1 Like

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by luminouz(m): 9:52pm On Aug 09, 2020
LukasPodolski:

Will you keep quiet?

Cursing him kinda made you look weak bro.
Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Named As Finalist For 2020 NBA MVP And DPY Of The Year by Nobody: 10:20pm On Aug 09, 2020
Nicepoker:
You have started. when hushpuppi was arrested you went into hiding. respect yourself
grin you guys won't kill person.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Super Falcons: FIFA Ranks Nigeria 10th Best Team At 2023 Women's World Cup / Micheal Bababtunde Wins Best Foreign Player In Morocco / French Clubs Refuse To Release African Players For AFCON Qualifiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.