Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,512 members, 7,808,870 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! (1715 Views)

Advice Needed About Toyota Corolla 1999 A.k.a Small But Mighty. / Val Gift Ideas For Car Enthusiasts / Ford's Smart Jacket For Cyclists Has Indicators And Brake Lights Just Like Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Niyiadeautos: 5:29am On Aug 10, 2020
The brake switch on your car looks very small & insignificant. But when the chips are down, you will realize this seemingly unimportant guy is not to be taken lightly.
The brake switch is usually located under the dashboard by the driver's side, just somewhere above the brake pedal. It is saddled with the responsibility of "telling" the ECU (aka brain box) of your car that the brake pedal has been depressed.

So a friend called me & was asking the price of the transmission/gearbox of a 2006 Camry aka big daddy. He said his mechanic told him he needed a complete gear change. I knew when he bought the car & he has always been very passionate about his car. I asked him what happened & he said his gear stick couldn't shift from Park to drive. I asked when it started & he explained it was a few weeks ago. I went to his place to check it out. It was true what he said.
His gear stick was stuck in park after trying to change gear.
I ran a scan, hoping to see if any transmission code will pop up, only to find a P0571 code & something about his MAF. I told him to depress his brake while I went behind the car. His brake lights were off when the brake was depressed.

I then had a sudden idea. I did a data stream under chasis on his brake switch & I noticed the switch has failed. I told him I needed to get a switch for his car. Funny thing was that he got impatient & started complaining that I didn't answer his questions on the gear issues he told me about. I reassured him to calm down. I brought a switch from a friend on the understanding that I will return it. I replaced the faulty brake switch with the new one, changed the gear stick & voila! it moved smoothly & the brake lights also came on. My friend started asking what I did that made the gear work perfectly well again & I explained to him. It is fairly simple.

If the brake switch is bad, the ECU aka brain box won't "know" you're pressing the brake. And to change from Park to drive or reverse, you need to depress the brake pedal. So the faulty brake switch had caused a break in communication. My friend would have gone ahead to overhaul a whole gear just because a *kazeem* told him so.

Although there are so many other reasons your car many not move from Park to drive or what have you, but please, try and eliminate guesswork by running a scan on your car first & taking it to a competent mechanic. Don't get defrauded by so called road side mechanics with their street antics.

please moderators, move this to front page let people be educated.

Seun

Marpol

Lala.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by geni340(f): 6:12am On Aug 10, 2020
wow nice one... It's funny how local mechos put people in trouble with their ignorance

3 Likes

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by milian200(m): 6:14am On Aug 10, 2020
brake switch? first time I go hear am be this sha
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Lawdis(m): 6:16am On Aug 10, 2020
Niyiadeautos:

The brake switch on your car looks very small & insignificant. But when the chips are down, you will realize this seemingly unimportant guy is not to be taken lightly.
The brake switch is usually located under the dashboard by the driver's side, just somewhere above the brake pedal. It is saddled with the responsibility of "telling" the ECU (aka brain box) of your car that the brake pedal has been depressed.

So a friend called me & was asking the price of the transmission/gearbox of a 2006 Camry aka big daddy. He said his mechanic told him he needed a complete gear change. I knew when he bought the car & he has always been very passionate about his car. I asked him what happened & he said his gear stick couldn't shift from Park to drive. I asked when it started & he explained it was a few weeks ago. I went to his place to check it out. It was true what he said.
His gear stick was stuck in park after trying to change gear.
I ran a scan, hoping to see if any transmission code will pop up, only to find a P0571 code & something about his MAF. I told him to depress his brake while I went behind the car. His brake lights were off when the brake was depressed.

I then had a sudden idea. I did a data stream under chasis on his brake switch & I noticed the switch has failed. I told him I needed to get a switch for his car. Funny thing was that he got impatient & started complaining that I didn't answer his questions on the gear issues he told me about. I reassured him to calm down. I brought a switch from a friend on the understanding that I will return it. I replaced the faulty brake switch with the new one, changed the gear stick & voila! it moved smoothly & the brake lights also came on. My friend started asking what I did that made the gear work perfectly well again & I explained to him. It is fairly simple.

If the brake switch is bad, the ECU aka brain box won't "know" you're pressing the brake. And to change from Park to drive or reverse, you need to depress the brake pedal. So the faulty brake switch had caused a break in communication. My friend would have gone ahead to overhaul a whole gear just because a *kazeem* told him so.

Although there are so many other reasons your car many not move from Park to drive or what have you, but please, try and eliminate guesswork by running a scan on your car first & taking it to a competent mechanic. Don't get defrauded by so called road side mechanics with their street antics.

please moderators, move this to front page let people be educated.

Seun

Marpol

Lala.

The guru.....!!!!

.....twale..

3 Likes

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Niyiadeautos: 7:04am On Aug 10, 2020
milian200:
brake switch? first time I go hear am be this sha
the brake switch ain't that popular..
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Niyiadeautos: 7:05am On Aug 10, 2020
Lawdis:

The guru.....!!!!

.....twale..
thanks sir we're just all here to learn

2 Likes

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by adanny01(m): 8:41am On Aug 10, 2020
Next time, a big daddy has a shift lock release button shown below.

When the brake switch fails, just press that button with the key while shifting the shifter out of park. Leave the shifter at Neutral position since the car cannot start at any position other than park and neutral.

You can start the engine and put the shift to Drive or Reverse. You can Drive the car normal until you replace the switch.

I am personally having issues with my brake switch. It happened a month ago when I gave my brother my car. He got stuck and was going to call a mechanic. I told him what to do and he came back successfully. By the time he came back the brake switch started working. It happened again randomly 2 times in the past 1 month.

Note, shift lock release is an emergency feature so one should fix the brake switch since brake lights will be out which is a road traffic violation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Niyiadeautos: 9:38am On Aug 10, 2020
adanny01:
Next time, a big daddy has a shift lock release button shown below.

When the brake switch fails, just press that button with the key while shifting the shifter out of park. Leave the shifter at Neutral position since the car cannot start at any position other than park and neutral.

You can start the engine and put the shift to Drive or Reverse. You can Drive the car normal until you replace the switch.

I am personally having issues with my brake switch. It happened a month ago when I gave my brother my car. He got stuck and was going to call a mechanic. I told him what to do and he came back successfully. By the time he came back the brake switch started working. It happened again randomly 2 times in the past 1 month.

Note, shift lock release is an emergency feature so one should fix the brake switch since brake lights will be out which is a road traffic violation.

Thanks a million for this!!
I told him about the shift lock also. But he is the paranoid type. He insisted on having it fixed.

3 Likes

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Boldone55: 10:32pm On Sep 16, 2020
[quote author=geni340 post=92649821]wow
nice one...
It's funny how local mechos put people in trouble with their ignorance
[/quote
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by theoilguy: 5:36am On Sep 22, 2020
People should try to do a google search on possible reasons for their car issues.. google always has an answer and can at least narrow it down.. I wonder what a smart phone is for anyway..

2 Likes

Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Soferkizzy007: 4:49pm On Aug 02, 2021
Do you know the cost price for the switch for 010 Camry
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by lakefist(m): 5:09pm On Aug 02, 2021
Make this post enter front page to save many people from buying new gear in their car.

Thanks bro
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Conner44: 7:56pm On Aug 02, 2021
theoilguy:
People should try to do a google search on possible reasons for their car issues.. google always has an answer and can at least narrow it down.. I wonder what a smart phone is for anyway..

Boss hope you’re good. What other 5w50 brand of engine oil do you have apart from Castrol and mobil? I’ve bought those two from you but I want to try another product
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by theoilguy: 9:47pm On Aug 02, 2021
Conner44:

Boss hope you’re good. What other 5w50 brand of engine oil do you have apart from Castrol and mobil? I’ve bought those two from you but I want to try another product

None at this time sir. Any reason why u want to try another product?
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Conner44: 11:42pm On Aug 02, 2021
theoilguy:

None at this time sir. Any reason why u want to try another product?

I’m just testing available oils to find out which of them would give me the quietest engine sound. An experiment of sorts. So far I’ve tried

Mobil1 5w20EP & 5w30HM full synthetics, Mobil 2000 5w30 semi synthetic and Castrol 5w30 EP. it’s a Honda k24 engine
Re: Brake Switch. Small But Mighty!! A Must Read For Car Enthusiasts! by Alvin007: 2:25pm On Aug 04, 2021
There’s also a fuse (fuse box underneath the dash) saddled with this responsibility, on most cars. Once that fuse gets ‘burnt’, you’d get the same diagnosis as this ‘break switch’. Always check that fuse before torching the ‘break switch’.
Attached is that of a 2003-08 Toyota Corolla.

(1) (Reply)

What Can We Do About Accidented Cars In Nigeria? / Benin/warri This Guy Can Ring Your Car Engine Of Any Make 2 Last 2 Years At Le / Lexus Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.