Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,295 members, 7,780,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:45 PM

Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother (339 Views)

10,000 Nigerians Regain Sight Through Free Cataract Surgery By Federal Ministry / Forever Vision - Cataract And Glaucoma Supplement / Burn Survivor Who Was Told She Could Never Have Children Is Now A Mother Of 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother by Shehuyinka: 2:44pm On Aug 10, 2020
“At birth, a doctor told me that my daughter’s eyes were blue due to what he called congenital cataract, I gave birth to her in a neighbourhood hospital, in Okelele Ilorin, Kwara State.

“As you can see, I don’t have the blue eyes and my husband does not have it, neither do we have anybody in our lineage with the kind of eyes,” Risiqot’s mother, Saudat Azeez narrated on my arrival at her residence in Aiyegbami community, Ilorin.

The family house of the Azeez in less than 8 days has turned to Mecca of sort where people travelled from Lagos, Abuja and other parts of Nigeria to see the Blue Eyes Family.

The blue eyes have been a source of rejection and trouble to the woman and her children in the past years, these same eyes have contributed to the good fortune of Azeez family.

Risiqot, 30-years-old and a mother of two, woke up to a new life after 18months of leaving her marriage.

Narrating her daughter’s ordeal, Mrs. Saudat Azeez told me that she passed through a lot of pains carrying her daughter from childhood until recently when fate found her.

She suffered shame from the people of their community. “Most people said I gave birth to an “abnormal child, while others said she is possessed.”

Risiqot is the first child in a family of four and barely finished her secondary school education due to the inability of her parent to pay for her WAEC fee.

“Those days I would cry and feel afraid about my daughters’ eyes, each time I saw other children’s’ eyes I used to feel sad until we met another medical doctor who invited us over to his home and celebrated my daughter, the man organised a mini party and said it was for a white woman in the midst of the black that year,” Risqot’s mother said.

Though this word of encouragement gave Mrs. Azeez some relief over the years, it did not stop the stigma from the community, families, and school mates. At school, she was known as “cat eyes” and in the community a “strange girl”.

Risiqot whose dream was to be a professional nurse turned out to be an apprentice in a pharmaceutical retail shop.

, attended Amule Secondary School, Okelele in Ilorin, she was said to be nicknamed “

Also, the younger brother Abdul Ganey Azeez, said when they were in basic school, the teachers invited the mother over the eyes and they were more concerned if his sister’s sight were good.

Saudat’s challenge over the rejection of her daughter increased when she began to give birth in the same area and the grand-children shared her daughter’s pair of blue eyes.

“Most people in Aiyegbami community would not relate with my daughter or even want to have anything to do with my grandchildren. They tagged them names and instructed their children not to play with them.”

READ MORE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/ilorin-blue-eyed-family-i-was-told-its-congenital-cataract-mother/

Re: Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother by dawnomike(m): 2:47pm On Aug 10, 2020
When fortune decides to smile on you... Your disadvantages turn to advantages
Re: Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 10, 2020
now that useless husband will want a piece of the cake,her life will never remain the same.

1 Like

Re: Ilorin Blue-eyed Family: I Was Told Its Congenital Cataract – Mother by CzarChris(m): 3:02pm On Aug 10, 2020
Illiteracy is a humongous disease. Dem no dey go school for that community? This segregation as a result of eye color is disturbing, who even does that? If given even half a chance these backward people can even kill twins.

On a serious note, who get this lady number? Send am to me, tell her she has found a new husband on nairaland.

Kai! See black beauty plus enchanting eyes. It is finished!

kiss kiss kiss

(1) (Reply)

Skin Infection.... Any Cure For This Strange Patch? / Hospital Chairs Chained With Padlocks. / Help A Brother Fight Eczema

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.