Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,450 members, 7,808,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:12 PM

How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? (38412 Views)

Six Ways To Escape Poverty. / How Do Average Nigerian Couples Have More Than 2 Children? / Six Ways Men Can Escape Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Gee64: 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
YAHOO IS Stealing other people's money?
Your victim can commit suicide or make you mad.
The law too can catch up with you oh.
BE WARNED!!!
GOD IS watching you OH!
Coldie:
Lately I found out that they do it through Yahoo.

A friend of mine that dropped out from secondary school just bought an Avalon through it

10 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by shegzhkn: 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2020
Karlifate:

Hmm...
You reminded me of the Audacity of Hope by Barack H. Obama.

lol, you got it.

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by o9o9: 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
@Supreme145

if you still want to do Programming. I can give it a Dell Core i5 Laptop to you. Not in the best cosmetically. But it works like a charm.

What do you say?

18 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by mojolajesu(m): 12:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bros, all this your quotes will not solve anything I swear!

Person dey talk about how to survive, you dey talk about dreams and future.
fykes:
Brothers... The question is when u look at urself and visualise ur future, what do u see?
What are dreams u want most,
What visions for ur family, ur community, ur parents, for urself do u see?
U see there's something stronger than your reality, infact it creates ur reality. That is the force of faith.
Do u still have hope for something? Do u still believe in something? These things are the important issues of life... Remember, one phone call, one chance meeting, one being at a right place can turn u into a millionaire.
Wealth is not often worked for... It's a gift to them that believe.life Is not about what can see with ur eyes, it's about what u can see with ur mind.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Blabbermouth: 12:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:

Pls I need your comments and advice
Follow ilegendd's thread ( I mean read many of those he has posted) and with this your "Suceed Legally at all cost" mentality, you should be a stable millionaire this time next year.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Coldie(m): 12:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Gee64:
YAHOO IS Stealing other people's money?
Your victim can commit suicide or make you mad.
The law too can catch up with you oh.
BE WARNED!!!
GOD IS watching you OH!
Am not into it. Am just exposing my discovery

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by seanwilliam(m): 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
OP u never ready , u hear, when u ready u know what to do.. according to pansophist... " it's not about what is RIGHT, it's about what works" but I'm 100% the nonsense motivational speakers on here would not tell you wetin u supposed hear but rather the common quotes dem dey read from Google..

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by cray91(m): 12:57pm On Aug 25, 2020
haha! Bro! you funny oo!! alot of people are in your boat ooo you only know yourself

If you hear other people's story bro you go dey thankful to God
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Guy my own worst pass your own
Is like them curse me sef, after sec school I never get anything good apart from second hand tecno k7, na only 2 clothes,two short Nika and one trouser I dey manage.

Me don give up, na village I dey now dey cultivate cassava dey fry garri dey sell.
But my story no mean say mke you give up.
Me I don tire na why I choose dis village life
farming is lucrative if you do it right, try cucumber farming.

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by bobokunlexzy: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
Check my signature very well.
Can you see the title of that eBook?

That's exactly where the money is....& taking the money out of the Lion's mouth requires diligence, tact & swift action.

The content is loaded & I can assure you & anyone who cares to have a copy that after reading it, your orientation will change & you will take a huge step to your financial freedom.

So my brother, this is what you need but it's painful that youths of this generation don't read & if only they know the power of information kept in a book, they won't joke with books especially one of this kind.

Just DM the no & request for a free copy. You will get it under 2mins.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by MarkStephen130(m): 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
Seersam:
You've got all these skills and you're still broke?

by broke i don't mean the horrible kinda broke.. i mean broquè ( Classic broke). Shaa I'm open to ideas to monetize my skills

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by AkwaIbomMan(m): 1:00pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:
Is like them curse me sef, after sec school I never get anything good apart from second hand tecno k7, na only 2 clothes,two short Nika and one trouser I dey manage.

Me don give up, na village I dey now dey cultivate cassava dey fry garri dey sell.
how old are you?
That's the question and center of this topic
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by damola1: 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2020
Read books.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by TROLL11: 1:01pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:

stop wasting money on school u will not hear. imagine if u used all the money u used on school fees to start a trade. education is only useful outside naija,

4 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by adagba001: 1:06pm On Aug 25, 2020
It will be very unfair that one ended up a Nigerian on earth and still goes to hell at the end. The average Nigerian youth is already in hell trying to survive.
We have no idea how strong we are here.. Life here aint easy.. Hold on bro.. Light go show at the end of the tunnel.. If u ever reach the end be that..

Make God reason this matter waive hell for us...

9 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2020
NUMBER1:
Stop having Purposeless Erections as a man.

NUMBER 2:
Hang your coat where you can easily reach for it

NUMBER 3:
IF u are wise never get close to Fools,. rather move with those wiser.

4 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Prechy08(m): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2020
Federal University of Benue where that one de? just by this I am beginning to doubt you story... you are a good writer though.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Gamechangerbaby: 1:09pm On Aug 25, 2020
Stay in school
And continue your
Business

Light still day

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by gideonvalor98(m): 1:11pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:
Good day folks, I have been a visitor on nairaland for a while now so far I have really learnt a lot from here, I had to register so as to share my worries here because I know that I can get useful contributions. Please ignore my grammatical blunders,I'm not really good at writing.

I graduated from secondary school in 2010 at the age of 18 and 10 years later I seem to be moving around in circles. After secondary school I was given two options of going to the university or doing business, I chose business without thinking twice I needed money so school can wait.

Two of my uncles raised the sum of 150,000 for me after I was done learning a trade with the condition that I will pay back at the end of the year without interest. Then the ports were closed so I would travel to cotonu to buy male jeans and sold in Nigeria in wholesale. Business was moving well, I tripled my capital that same year by the age of 20 I had already counted my first million, I felt on top of the world, I spent on my family helped in paying house rent and my siblings school fees (I'm the first child), then tragedy struck.

After the second year my uncle whom I was staying with and contributed majority of my capital asked for an account of how I had been running the business which I gave him, I had already returned the other uncle's money by then. After the audit my uncle said he's going to add another money to my capital then after four years he would settle me, I refused citing that apprenticeship wasn't our agreement initially, the mother caused a big issue to the extent it had to be settled in the village. I had to leave my uncle's house to my parents since we couldn't reach a compromise, as for his capital over the years I had borrowed him money on several occasions which was already more than what he gave me as my capital, I forgot the balance and left.

Three months after I left my uncle, my goods was intercepted by customs in Benin, my agent which coincidentally happened to be that my uncle put my goods ( and that of others) in a vehicle carrying second hand tyres from Lagos to the east and everything in the vehicle was confiscated. We spent 5months trying to get the goods back spending the remaining savings I had, it was released after six months but most of the goods was either stolen or sold by customs, I got only around 10% of my seized goods back. I was back to square one.

After all my attempts to raise another capital proved abortive I gave up and started doing menial jobs to survive,my mom would always encourage me that I'm still young and would rise again. Two years after nothing tangible was fort coming, I was dead broke and depressed, I started feeling pressure at home when I couldn't bear it I relocated to port Harcourt in search of greener pastures. I slept in parks and slums till I managed to get a security job with a 15k salary then,I worked for some years and discovered that I wasn't making any progress in life,I wasn't saving anything and was still stagnant. I decided to venture into education, even though it wasn't my first choice at least I would have a certificate to be proud of after some years.

I got admission in the federal university in Benue in 2017 at the age of 25 to study statistics/computer science (bsc ed) it wasn't my choice but time was not on my side , most of my mates then had graduated and even working. My year one was hell, I resumed school with just my bag of cloths, no accommodation nor food stuffs, I slept in lecture halls and sometimes went for lectures without bathing,one time I called my dad and he said if I can't bear it I should abandon the school and come back,I later managed to get someone to squat me in the hostel, I got home during nuga break to meet the news that my dad just bought a land,so this man had money to buy land and allowed me to suffer in school ( he mind sha ).

Fast forward 3 years later and I'm stuck in 300 level not knowing what to do with my life,just being in school is not enough for me, I need to earn money because I became independent at a young age and depending on my parents now is serious giving me a cause for concern. I stayed back in school during the lockdown so I could think about my life, after reading some threads on nairaland I decided to go into programming since I had a semi abacus laptop on it's last legs,I got links to free courses on udemy and also enrolled for free courses on Alison and pirple.

Learning programming brought my joy back,I loved the critical thinking involved and realized I hated it before because of the way it was taught by our lecturers,I started with web development (HTML and CSS) and I observed I was grabbing it quit fast. Data was a problem but I managed the mid night subscription each time I manage to get airtime. I was happy once more cause I could code for hours on an empty stomach and I wouldn't care then tragedy struck again.

My system developed a fault, vertical lines appeared on the screen and it started having difficulty in booting,it finally gave up the ghost a few days later. I tried to improvise by using my phone to code but it was a horrible experience and I gave up. back to square one again,I had to go home and I haven't gotten myself ever since.

How do I break free from this poverty since I came back I have looked for job without luck, I haven't earned a dime since this year since I parted ways with my boss whom I learnt interlocking and concrete stamping under,the man was using me like a slave. Motivational speakers would say there's light at the end of the tunnel but mine looks like a maze/roundabout tunnel. I got home and yahoo is the trending stuff in the area even my younger ones has joined, my younger brother nearly picked 7million before the aza was killed in the dying minute (whatever he means by that), I seem to be the only one among my set that's still broke, I can't even remember the last time I got anything for my self, now I wear my younger brothers cloths and they recharge my phone for me,how long will I continue like this?? ..... I don't want to follow the yahoo band wagon, I'm beginning to lose hope.

We young Nigerians should learn not to get carried away when we hit some digits. That's why it's good to read books about finances and planning. I don't fault the way you spend on your family but you could have done better planning the money you spend. Also, apart from bad leadership and all, the hatred of seeing people rising and doing well is rampant, as if they're the ones hindering our progress - which is not.

We need to learn to be happy for other and wish them well the more - that mindset will motivate us and set us on our own part of success. Many a times I have seen online and offline where people tends to pull others down - we should desist from this act.

ADVICE
finish your university education as your course is a good one. Your can work in education settings or financial settings, I.T or Tech etc coupled with programming stuff - you're set on the right path. Your old business is also an option since you have experience already and more matured now, you can have it as a side business.

This is a trying time and it will pass. Don't loss your mind. You can set up a tutorial class for student in your area for now and still occupy yourself with other things of interest. Also, learn to tolerate, persevere and humility. God will see you through.

6 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by WelcomeToBiafra: 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
What is the meaning of Nigeria in your languages?

1 Like

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by ndubueze92(m): 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2020
Imiete:

Bro. don't loss hope, e go better.... If you get a friend that stays in the city, you can come out and give the city another trial... It would have been same fate with me... After NYSC, if not for a friend that accommodated two of us in his house for a year... before we rented our our houses.... I feel pained .

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by phatek(m): 1:15pm On Aug 25, 2020
my brother u are nt alone if i wan tok my own. . . hmm.ur own even beta sy ur parents are still alive.bt in any situation gv tankz u dnt knw wat oda pple are passin thru,if dm tel u e go shock u wel wel.....god no go shame us.jst dont giveup

3 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by inumidun2010(m): 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2020
fykes:
Op lemme give u a little advice that works for me. I have come to see life as a circle.... Whatever u are going through now, someone else has gone through it and won... Another has gone through it and gave up. U are making a known journey, d destination however is ur choice.
My advice.... I am a God fearing man, and I see u trust in making an Honest living so my secret is use ur night seasons.
It always works for me... Whenever u need doors to open, opportunity and destiny helpers, task ur nights. U see that time between 12midnight and 4am... Sacrifice it to God in prayer, cry if u get tired of praying wholeheartedly.
It won't be long, u will sleep well.

God bless you... God still answers PRAYERS

2 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by hustla(m): 1:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:

Honest advise

Since you like programming, try to save up and get a laptop

That laptop is what will make you escape poverty if you play your cards well.. You will continue your coding via Udemy and get good at it

Software dev jobs, remote ones boku online.. learn AWS Cloud + DevOps too and you will be glad you did

I still dey pray to God to help me learn coding cry

See an example in the screenshot below

4 Likes

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by AkwaIbomMan(m): 1:19pm On Aug 25, 2020
Supreme145:

I think you gat me there bro,but dropping out of school is never an option....I have decided to let things happen naturally, my do and die warfare towards prosperity haven't gotten me anywhere
is it Federal university in Benin or Benue?
Your response is needed urgently cos I myself I'm in the same predicament with you but I'm just a year above you and I'm also in same level and I want to advise you rather to be patient, When school reopens you'll resume and everything would be alright
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by AkwaIbomMan(m): 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
Prechy08:
Federal University of Benue where that one de? just by this I am beginning to doubt you story... you are a good writer though.
I already asked him earlier before I came across this comment.
Probably he's using that to hid his identity as I can relate or maybe he meant Federal University in Benin
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
fykes:
Brothers... The question is when u look at urself and visualise ur future, what do u see?
What are dreams u want most,
What visions for ur family, ur community, ur parents, for urself do u see?
U see there's something stronger than your reality, infact it creates ur reality. That is the force of faith.

Do u still have hope for something? Do u still believe in something? These things are the important issues of life... Remember, one phone call, one chance meeting, one being at a right place can turn u into a millionaire.

Wealth is not often worked for... It's a gift to them that believe.life Is not about what can see with ur eyes, it's about what u can see with ur mind.

They have started again. Awon aspire to inspire before you perspire into your grave. grin

Na so e easy. grin

Believe in something, one phone call, one chance meeting, being at the right place at the right time. grin

If to say na so e easy, èmi gangan, i for don turn to Billionaire.

Bobo, I've been a faith believer for over 15years. My faith could move Mount Kilimanjaro but make I tell you - all na Ofutu-fete! grin

If you get money to give the guy, just give am - make e no go jump inside Third Mainland Bridge.

How many people in over 200Million will be lucky to experience this your nonsense aspire to desire? grin

Sometimes, me sef dey reason am, if not for Yahoo-Yahoo; walahi Nigeria for don turn to Somalia + Iraq + Libya x Syria because the crime rate everywhere would have been over 10,000%.

Look, I am not a Yahoo Boy ooo but I just dey reason am gidi-gan I swear.

If not for Bolt/Uber, me sef know say I for don turn to Lawrence Anini of Ijebuland. grin

Even Motor wey I been dey carry do Uber/Bolt don spoil for months now, I just park am for one corner.

So Oga, leave story, and help the guy if you have the means.

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by omoyankee3(m): 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2020
Learn patience, everything is a process. You are already on the right path; don't be distracted.
Change your perspective. Most of what you call disasters are just average setbacks.

So right now, all your focus should be on: Getting a cheap used laptop with basic features for coding AND completing your university program.

Forget everything else.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by AkwaIbomMan(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
TROLL11:
stop wasting money on school u will not hear. imagine if u used all the money u used on school fees to start a trade. education is only useful outside naija,
your stupidity is incurable.
Your moniker just made me realise it was waste of time quoting you
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by jericco1(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
My brother I no even one start my own. All I have to say to you is that you shouldn't give up yet, if you have aspirations, you can survive.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by gnykelly(m): 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2020
this country is dead and hopeless.
Re: How Does An Average Nigerian Youth Escape Poverty? by AkwaIbomMan(m): 1:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
o9o9:
@Supreme145

if you still want to do Programming. I can give it a Dell Core i5 Laptop to you. Not in the best cosmetically. But it works like a charm.

What do you say?
if OP doesn't indicate interest you please consider me cos my own predicament is exactly same as OP.
The laptop I used to learn graphics, UI and the rest of other skills got taken away by my sister.
I'm just at home languishing at home cos I myself I'm a student too (300 level in my late 20's)...
I wouldn't mind paying you a bit and even way-billing cost on me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Help My Tribal Brother Has 8 Kids And The Wife Is Heavily Pregnant. / I Had Put An End To My Marriage / My Wife To Be Has Anger Issue. How Do I Curtail It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.