Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). (3880 Views)

The History, Culture And Traditions With Ibegwu Of Ogugu People / The Culture Of Beads / The Full History, Belief, And, Culture Of Ekpo Festival In Annang, Akwa Ibom Sta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by investorMK(m): 7:00pm On Aug 10, 2020
THE CULTURE OF OGUGU PEOPLE CALLED (Ibegwu).
Prior to the two dominant religions, talking about Christianity and Islam, Ogugu people in Olamaboro Local Government Area of Kogi State in North Central Nigeria is a large community of Igala speaking area with very unique cultural norms that are encapsulated in Ibegwu's Tradition.
Besides, it's annoying and irritating that this cultural norms are being misunderstood by other Igala people, perhaps, primarily on ignorance bases.
Similarly, one of these cultural norms which pokes the ignorance of many of my Igala people is called "Ibegwu", which literally means "ancestors". Story had it that "Ibegwu" is a medium through which our ancestors keep watch over their progenies with a view to stopping them from wrecking mischief.
"Ibegwu's rules as it was revealed were set aside right from primitive age to regulate the conducts of her people. Just like any other community on the surface of earth planet, Ogugu is endowed with interesting customs and traditional practices that had attracted most other neighbouring Igala villages to know more about it. Moreover, there's no community or society that doesn't have her way of practicing it's traditions.
For instance, just like the Ten Commandments God gave to Israelites, so also the cultural norms of Ogugu people in Igala land.
As far as those norms do not contradict your faith in modern religious practices, there's no need to be scared of it.
Before now, many people have given different interpretations to those Ogugu cultural norms! While some people are able to state exactly what those cultural norms are, some tend to play mischief and go overboard.
Below specifically lays to bare all you ought to know about the popular "OGUGU CULTURAL NORMS"
1. That no Ogugu man or woman is allowed to kill his or her fellow brother or sister.
*Question: Does your Bible or Quran ask you to kill?
2. Married women are not allowed to commit adultery...if they do, the consequences is an instant death, ie if she fails to confess, she would be struck by some mysterious ailment. The antidote of such is for the victim to offer public confession and for instant performance of the necessary rituals for land cleansing.
2b. If she confesses to her husband and her husband fails to carry out drastic actions either by sending her away or performing rituals, her husband or male children will die!
*Question: What does your religion say about adultery?
3. "On Family Planning", Before carrying out family planning with your wife, you must inform the elders in your family, especially the eldest man in your clan must be aware of this.
*Question: what does your religion say about multiplications ?.....go ye into the world and multiply �
4. Abortion is not allowed for any Ogugu man. It's believed that blood and destiny has been wasted....the consequences is death!
*Question: morally speaking, do you support any abortion of pregnancy? and what does your religion say about it?
5. Sucking of Woman's private part: As an Ogugu married man and Ogugu guy, you are not allowed to engage yourself in a such act. The culture forbids it!
*Question: Medically, don't you think there's side effect for a such act? Secondly, does your religion permit oral or anal sex?
6. Ogugu man is not allowed to carry out or engaged himself in ritual money...if he tries it, he will die.
*Question: What does your religion say about ritual money? Remember the love of money is the root of all evils!
7. Other Igala people say our bride price is very costly but it is not so. What we do is that the husband (groom) must provide enough food for the ceremony on that day which may cost up to 100k or above, depending which family you are marrying from. Out of this money, the groom's in-laws use some part of it to purchase either goats or fish.
*Question: Morally speaking, don't you like people to eat and merry on your traditional marriage or wedding? Does your religion go against such things?
Note: Bride price has no specific amount in Ogugu. Whether you are poor or rich, if actually you want to marry from Ogugu, money wouldn't stop you!
8. On burial; For some of you who are afraid of marrying from Ogugu because of burial rites, I just want to clarify it.
When your father or mother in-laws dies, what's required of you is a goat, linen cloth (okpe), Cola nut, Drinks (wine) and food. But if you want to make it more expensive, it depends on you!
8b. As an Ogugu man, you are expected to accord your father or mother a befitting burial with cultural requirements. Failure to this, the consequences of it is that you are not allowed to contribute to burials of others in whatever way. If you dare do so, death awaits such a person.
The beauty of all these is that, it makes our married wives irrespective of their tribe to be faithful, submissive and respectful. Failure to abide by these rules, you get yourself in trouble.
However, Some women have argued that if a man has the liberty to flirt, a woman should also have the same right...but!
Truly speaking, average Ogugu man or woman cherishes this tradition because it distinguishes them.
Finally, questions, contributions, corrections and criticism are all welcome.
Thanks!......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by phrancys001(m): 8:15pm On Aug 10, 2020
Nice write up but many atimes some of those culture are abuse in cruelty form, from experience an ogugu girl i fell in love with in the past couldn't take the relationship to a much more serious level by no choice of her's,she was earlier in relationship with a guy out of being naive and young she fell for the sugar coated promises of he's readiness to get married to her,kokanuts was was presented for her hand in marriage that's 8 years ago and counting still nothing serious after then all this past years no continuouty in concluding the marriage to it's logical conclusion aside the kolanut presentation nothing whatsoever was done again the guy was completely unconcern with her wellness whatsoever,we met last year fell in love i was eager and ready to settle down with her last year but couldn't because of the kolanut given by him 8 years ago for the cultural kolanut became the chain on the lady's throat, the guy didn't even bother coming to see her for as supposed he's excuse he still haven't gathered enough money for proper wedding,had to even talk to her mother that am willing to repay thrice whatsoever expense the guy has made but her resitsse was shocking even after 8 years of unfulfilled marriage promise her mom response was since kolanut was presented they can't break the phantom engagement for its against ogugu culture as sad and painful as it was had to let her go.
Myself am from ankpa and our culture on marriage frown at infidelity by a woman but she's allowed to return bride price paid and marriage traditionally annulled so she can live her life as she wishes.
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by investorMK(m): 8:47pm On Aug 10, 2020
phrancys001:
Nice write up but many atimes some of those culture are abuse in cruelty form, from experience an ogugu girl i fell in love with in the past couldn't take the relationship to a much more serious level by no choice of her's,she was earlier in relationship with a guy out of being naive and young she fell for the sugar coated promises of he's readiness to get married to her,kokanuts was was presented for her hand in marriage that's 8 years ago and counting still nothing serious after then all this past years no continuouty in concluding the marriage to it's logical conclusion aside the kolanut presentation nothing whatsoever was done again the guy was completely unconcern with her wellness whatsoever,we met last year fell in love i was eager and ready to settle down with her last year but couldn't because of the kolanut given by him 8 years ago for the cultural kolanut became the chain on the lady's throat, the guy didn't even bother coming to see her for as supposed he's excuse he still haven't gathered enough money for proper wedding,had to even talk to her mother that am willing to repay thrice whatsoever expense the guy has made but her resitsse was shocking even after 8 years of unfulfilled marriage promise her mom response was since kolanut was presented they can't break the phantom engagement for its against ogugu culture as sad and painful as it was had to let her go.
Myself am from ankpa and our culture on marriage frown at infidelity by a woman but she's allowed to return bride price paid and marriage traditionally annulled so she can live her life as she wishes.
well ogugu girl can also return what ever is been payed on her head..... I.e if the guy and his family are willing to collect it back and the girl will be free
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by Mathiasa(m): 2:37am On May 05, 2021
Nice write up, been looking for such write ups on the internet but non actually explained ibegwu in details the way u did.
My question is on mouth action (sucking of vigena), most things I read on the internet never mentioned that, pls can u assist me with books that clearly spelt all the don't out.
Thanks
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by Damovintrain: 8:38am On May 05, 2021
Nice one....
Permit me to share this on fb as an Ogugu guy
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by ChangedMan1999(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2021
Please how many tribes are in Kogi smiley
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by Mathiasa(m): 11:15am On May 05, 2021
ChangedMan1999:

Please how many tribes are in Kogi smiley

I once I know
Igala
Igbira
Yoruba
Gwari
Igbo
Idoma
But I think they are more, the Igala tribe has the highest population.

1 Like

Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by ChangedMan1999(m): 1:22pm On May 05, 2021
Mathiasa:
I once I know Igala Igbira Yoruba Gwari Igbo Idoma But I think they are more, the Igala tribe has the highest population.

What of Ogugu
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by Mathiasa(m): 1:24pm On May 05, 2021
Ogugu is a town in Igala land, they speak Igala and is located in olamaboro local government.
ChangedMan1999:

What of Ogugu
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by ChangedMan1999(m): 1:29pm On May 05, 2021
Mathiasa:
Ogugu is a town in Igala land, they speak Igala and is located in olamaboro local government.

Ok
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by chimezieeze98: 9:24pm On May 10, 2021
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by investorMK(m): 7:31pm On Aug 17, 2021
Mathiasa:
Nice write up, been looking for such write ups on the internet but non actually explained ibegwu in details the way u did.
My question is on mouth action (sucking of vigena), most things I read on the internet never mentioned that, pls can u assist me with books that clearly spelt all the don't out.
Thanks
I don't have that now....but I can ask or search for it

1 Like

Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by Maroon2: 6:28am On May 16, 2022
Nice writeup and it's good to see it's coming from an Ogugu man. Please, what if other Igalas (Igala Ogba) marries an Ogugu woman, does all these culture follows the woman or man in marriage? Also can a non-ogugu man suck an unmarried ogugu woman's private part?
Re: The Culture Of Ogugu People Called (ibegwu). by emmaachile2(m): 3:43pm On Jun 11, 2022
Maroon2:
Nice writeup and it's good to see it's coming from an Ogugu man. Please, what if other Igalas (Igala Ogba) marries an Ogugu woman, does all these culture follows the woman or man in marriage? Also can a non-ogugu man suck an unmarried ogugu woman's private part?
The culture doesn't follow the woman since he is married to another family outside ogugu.
Ibegwu rules doesn't catch or apply to a non ogugu man.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Yoruba Names Of Fruits / PHOTOS: Mysterious Goat Delivers Human-like Baby In Ekiti State. / Native Names And Meaning Of Ebiras In Okene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.