Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,910 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President (18451 Views)

2023: Don’t Elect People Above 70 As President – Makinde Tells Nigerians / Theodore Orji To EFCC: I Am Vulnerable To COVID-19, I'm Above 70 Years / Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by nairavsdollars(f): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2020
Yerima Shettima is the President of Arewa Youth Consultative Forum. In this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI, he speaks on the controversy over zoning for the 2023 presidential election, Southern Kaduna crisis and other issues of national interest. Excerpts:

You have always insisted that the North will produce President Buhari’s successor in 2023 but the President’s nephew, Mamman Daura recently said competence should be considered for the next rather than zoning. What is your perspective on that?

I’m in support of what he said because the issue of zoning has not helped us in the past and it will never help us now. Yes, it is true that it must be seen to be applied in the spirit of justice, equity and fairness to all. But don’t forget the fact that this is the same thing that brought us to where we are today. So, I am of the view that competency can come from any part of the country. If we have any competent hand from any part of the country, we will all queue behind that person and help him succeed so that we can get things right. If we can’t get it right, things can never move forward and we will just remain stagnant on one spot.

So, I concur with Mamman Daura’s view that competency is critical at this particular time without minding the region where that person comes from. In the past, my position has always been that the North will retain the power but when I look at events in the country, between three years ago and last year, a lot of things have really changed. We are more divided than we used to be and so on that basis, I resort to my recent conclusion that let us settle for competency rather than zoning. If we have the best eleven from North- East; South-South; North-Central; South-East; North-West and South- West, let us bring them to the fore and let Nigerians decide. But in the North, we will ensure that we vehemently refuse any arrangement by any political party that will say categorically that it has zoned the presidency to any geo-political zone. We will vehemently resist that. Let there be a level playing field for all. Let everyone bring their best to the table and allow Nigerians decide who they want. This is democracy.

So, in essence you are saying you are no longer rigid on the North producing the President in 2023?

My position now is that the unity of the country is far paramount, and it is that unity that we are taking into consideration when members of the Arewa Youth Consultative Forum took the position that it is competence that should now be taken into consideration when picking Buhari’s successor in 2023. Our position now is that the Presidency can go to any geo-political zone in 2023. But whoever gets it must be very competent. He must be a dynamic hardworking Nigerian who is not above 70.

You said the next President must not be above 70 but some Nigerians are saying the two leading Presidential candidates in USA are over 70 and as such experience should be considered. Do you share this view?

If Americans decide that is what they want, that is for America. We are Nigerians, not Americans. So, let us not be making reference to what is happening in America or using it as yardstick for us here. We are saying that the younger generations must be encouraged to occupy the political space. Side by side, let there by synergy between the younger and the older generation, but not when the reverse is the case where the younger generation are being neglected. We vehemently say no.

Are you saying the likes of Atiku Abubakar who are over 70 should forget the 2023 presidential election?

Well, I don’t know if he is up to 70. I don’t want to mention names of individuals here; I am just talking generally here.

Chief E.K Clark said other Nigerians should allow the South-East produced the President as it is their turn. Do you think his argument is worth considering?

This is democracy and everybody is entitled to his opinion. That is Clark’s opinion and I’m also telling you our own opinion. Is Clark’s opinion constitutional? No, it’s not. It’s an arrangement. We can also decide on our own arrangement but the reality is that the constitution supersedes any arrangement. Any arrangement outside the constitution is null and void. It is not legitimate; it is not binding on anybody and it is not constitutional.

https://www.independent.ng/el-rufai-confused-needs-help-on-southern-kaduna-crisis-shetimma/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by IamWonderful: 8:50am On Aug 11, 2020
So this one too have become relevant in politics

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by bolaayenimo: 8:53am On Aug 11, 2020
You this aboki, You want to make some people cry abi?

54 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by donbachi(m): 8:55am On Aug 11, 2020
Age is no barrier..as long as the brain is functioning well and full of economics policy.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by dangermouse(m): 9:02am On Aug 11, 2020
I knew all along that the North is planning on retaining power beyond 2023. Is Yerima trying to tell us that south cannot present a credible candidate or what? For the interest of justice n equity, the south east shovld be given a chance come 2023.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by SmartProf(m): 9:10am On Aug 11, 2020
You now have an opinion abi, after you have served us with an incompetent retired general who fell within same age range? Who even give these guys microphones to utter opinions sef?

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Xscape1993(m): 9:13am On Aug 11, 2020
Go & tell Tinubu & your president this not us oga. Tell it to your analog rulers.

9 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Kdon2: 9:26am On Aug 11, 2020
70 years is maximum retirement age in Nigeria let all from that age retire and give constructive advise only.

5 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by nairavsdollars(f): 9:41am On Aug 11, 2020
Too bad

13 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by BlackfireX: 9:45am On Aug 11, 2020
I don't think the APC is going to give power to the South...

They will blackmail, threatened and bully all the southern candidates, or better still promise them crumbs ..

A storm is coming..

This two crazy tribes( igbos and yorubas) better unite before 2021

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by flyingpig: 9:50am On Aug 11, 2020
SmartProf:
You now have an opinion abi, after you have served us with an incompetent retired general who fell within same age range? Who even give these guys microphones to utter opinions sef?
I honestly don't know why some media houses grant interviews to self-destructive and selfish groups; for example this one and miyetti allah group. Such people should not be given any figment of idea to feel they or their opinions are relevant. They should be boy-cotted in decision making. I know what I'm saying is not a feature of democracy but man these guys utter shìt and their faeces shouldn't be allowed to circulate in the air lest some simple minded folks join the bandwagon.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by SmartProf(m): 9:57am On Aug 11, 2020
flyingpig:
I honestly don't know why some media houses grant interviews to self-destructive and selfish groups; for example this one and miyetti allah group. Such people should not be given any figment of idea to feel they or their opinions are relevant. They should be boy-cotted in decision making. I know what I'm saying is not a feature of democracy but man these guys utter shìt and their faeces shouldn't be allowed to circulate in the air lest some simple minded folks join the bandwagon.
You are so correct bro, it gives them some false sense of importance and emboldens their wild tendencies.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by etcme(m): 9:58am On Aug 11, 2020
The last time I checked, Talk is still cheap

3 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by garsullo45: 9:59am On Aug 11, 2020
Lolz, Age isn't a reason for their ugly and dirty works guys..
check it out> what assurance does it give us if people younger than 70 contest and wins, and we still don't benefit from it.

we need someone regardless of the party that can bring joy into the people of Nigeria, we all need someone that'd lead us all to acheiving each other's Aim Legitimately and live happily.

look at countries that we as a nation feed even till Asia, now look at Nigeria, mehn this is bleeped up.. if no one is feeling what I'm feeling den I guess I'm high

1 Like

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by xynerise: 9:59am On Aug 11, 2020
Encouraging football age among them right?

They either kick against it or reduce their ages
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by GeneralPula: 9:59am On Aug 11, 2020
sad
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Tastemoney(m): 9:59am On Aug 11, 2020
Tinubu is 68 now..... By 2023 , he would be 71

Is he indirectly telling Tinubu to forget about contesting in the next presidential election

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Racoon(m): 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
Same Arewa Youth that said "the north will not relinquish power in 2023"? Forget it! Another incompetent northerner will still come & they will vote for him.

3 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by akosy(m): 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
We should just forget about competence as long as it's PDP Vs APC. These parties have 'Zonally' and totally corrupt the system.
And talking about Age barriers here, competence and integrity has nothing to do with age. We have very corrupt young leaders as the old ones.
I prayer is for a pandemic to strike out political system, make better people lead naija.

3 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Sammy07: 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
flyingpig:

Agreed!
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by PapaBaby: 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
How old was Buhari when he contested?
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Jireg98368: 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
Good morning
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by mosuncool: 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
which law that one dey?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by LosC: 10:00am On Aug 11, 2020
Pensioners
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Enemyofpeace: 10:01am On Aug 11, 2020
Chei no more hope for Seun be that
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Deborah98(f): 10:01am On Aug 11, 2020
I don't think many will buy this idea,but anyways let's watch the outcome first.

1 Like

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by ademidedavid(f): 10:01am On Aug 11, 2020
Its so unfortunate that the younger ones do not even have the interest of the country at heart and might even be worse than the old cargos in terms of corruption.....age shouldn't be a determining factor but the love of the country and choosing the right people to work with.
Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by ekaette1621: 10:02am On Aug 11, 2020
Including Tinubu?

2 Likes

Re: Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President by Dansy(f): 10:02am On Aug 11, 2020
You dont have authority to speak

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2022 Insecurity: Deaths By Geopolitical Zone (infographic) / Happy Independence Nigeria! / Throwback Video: Tinubu Commissioning Newly Built Millennium Schools in 2001

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.