Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:26 PM

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder (23988 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Celebrates His 37th Birthday Today / Aiyegbeni Names Best Striker In Super Eagles Squad Ahead Of AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by robosky02(m): 1:05pm On Aug 11, 2020
Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

Erstwhile Nigeria international striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni says former Super Eagles captain and coach, Sunday Oliseh was a better defensive midfielder during his playing days than fellow ex-Eagles skipper, John Obi Mikel.

Controversy over Nigeria’s greatest player ever continues to rage on even among ex-internationals with Aiyegbeni’s disagreeing with fellow Eagles legend, Daniel Amokachi who recently rated Mikel as Nigeria’s greatest footballer.

Speaking on Sports Zone on Lagos Talks from his England base, Aiyegbeni says Mikel is not even the greatest defensive midfielder Nigeria has produced preferring to give the honour to Oliseh.

The Yak as Aiyegbeni was known during his playing days however, concedes that while Mikel’s superior trophy cabinet might lend credence to the “greatest-ever” tag, Oliseh was much the superior player.

“Mikel is the greatest because of the trophies he has won. Don’t get me wrong, Mikel is a very, very good player [but] there’s no way you can compare Mikel with Sunday Oliseh. No chance, no chance,” said Aiyegbeni who retired in 2015 as Nigeria’s third-highest goalscorer with 21 goals in 57 caps.

“Mikel did so well in his career in Chelsea, he won a lot of trophies [but] there is nowhere in the world you can compare Mikel and Sunday Oliseh.

“Oliseh is a better player than Mikel. Mikel won a lot of trophies but Oliseh was unbelievable,” the former Portsmouth and Everton striker added.

https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-greater-than-mikel-as-defensive-midfielder-aiyegbeni/

18 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nbotee(m): 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2020
Before nko..... Oliseh was by far a beta player both on d field of play and off it. He was a far beta Leader and captain as well.. But there is no greater miss than dat one u missed in d world cup sha...

179 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by robosky02(m): 1:24pm On Aug 11, 2020
Individual Awards:

Sunday Oliseh:

Club:

Ajax
Eredivisie: 1997–98
KNVB Cup: 1997–98, 1998–99
Juventus
UEFA Intertoto Cup: 1999
Borussia Dortmund
Bundesliga: 2001–02
UEFA Cup: 2001–02 (Runner-up)

International
Nigeria
African Cup of Nations: 1994
Olympic Gold Medal: 1996
Afro Asian Cup 1995

ikel has more trophies naa

Honours
Chelsea:

Premier League: 2009–10, 2014–15[100]
FA Cup: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2011–12
Football League Cup: 2006–07
FA Community Shield: 2009
UEFA Champions League: 2011–12
UEFA Europa League: 2012–13
Trabzonspor

Turkish Cup: 2019–20
Nigeria

Africa Cup of Nations: 2013

Nigeria Olympic:
Summer Olympics bronze medalist: 2016

Individual awards:

FIFA World Youth Championship Silver Ball: 2005

CAF Most Promising Talent of the Year: 2005

Chelsea Young Player of the Year: 2007,2008

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by pafra(m): 1:33pm On Aug 11, 2020
I agree with yakubu.
For trophies you give it to mikel.
But on the field of play Sunday oliseh is far more better

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by moscobabs(m): 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2020
I beg who has that known Video or Picture of Ayegbeni grin

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Tobimercy(f): 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2020
Ok
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 1:51pm On Aug 11, 2020
Normal level... Chelsea killed Mikel's career by making him a defensive midfielder.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by davibid: 1:51pm On Aug 11, 2020

The Mikel we saw in 2005 was a prospective superstar, but I think he remained complacent about himself as a professional footballer and concentrated more on making money, hence he was contented with being on Chelsea’s bench. Yes! He won practically every trophy an average player would dream of winning except the WC but regardless, Mikel can’t be rated as someone who had spectacular career.
Remember we have good players and great players, and few fantastic players.

But Mikel was just a player and between him and Sunday, I’ll give it to Sunday.

#KINGBID

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by FamousMonk: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
How Important is it for a woman to know how to cook?
Can one marry a woman he loves and finds happiness with even if she doesn't know how to cook?

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Fheelzz(m): 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
I concur

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Andrew13: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
Nbotee:
Before nko... But there is no greater miss than dat one u missed in d world cup sha...
the greatest footballer ever

7 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by DonBenny77(m): 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
It's TRUE na.
Money ruined mikels career he isn't even a DM

5 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by crossfm: 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
Come which Ayegbeni?.I hope it not who am thinking, because if na him we go die here.This dude broke my heart that year with the miss of the century.

I can't just forget that day,its still fresh in my mind.The memory has refuse to go away. Bros please don't say anything again pls.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Deborah98(f): 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
Ok
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Pidginwhisper: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
Mikel was never a natural DMF. So this one no be talk. We still never get over the miss that ended your career Sir undecided, no cover up

The reason i was against Osimhen going to Tottenham, Mou fit capitalize on his physicality and ruggedness turn am to CB or DM.

Mou na mad man
cheesy

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by janedonez(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
Madam aiyegbeni talking
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Afam4eva(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
I smell jealousy from Amokachi and Aiyegbeni.

Amokachi will rather concede that ikel is NIgeria's greatest player instead of his fellow team mates, Okocha and Kanu.

Aiyegbeni on the other hand will rather choose someone from time past as the best defensive midfielder than a his fellow Nigerian team mate Mikel Obi. But Aiyegbeni is closer to the truth than Amokachi.

I personally think Mikel should never be mentioned in anything that has BEST in it as far as football is concerned.

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by adioolayi(m): 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
Aiyegbeni Yakubu.....Bros, I have not forgiven you that Point Blank Miss against South Korea in 2010 Worldcup....That miss of the century...You do me something that day. angry sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by sexyboy193: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
During the days of oliseh...he is more offensive in front of net than Mikel. Thou Mikel is my best player during the time of the likes of Taye Taiwo

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Reference(m): 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2020
Probably.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by sleek214(m): 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2020
Oliseh was a better player

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Firespitter: 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2020
The greatest "goal misser" of all time grin

9 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Pathokpo: 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2020
robosky02:
Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder –Aiyegbeni

https://www.completesports.com/oliseh-greater-than-mikel-as-defensive-midfielder-aiyegbeni/
for sure. oliseh is still Nigeria's GOAT when it comes to the area of defensive midfield. If you know you belong to the indomie generation don't quote me.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by ForeThinker: 1:55pm On Aug 11, 2020
: Naxxxo
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by plessis: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
Making player comparisons with trophies won is a very stupid thing to do. Trophies are a result of a collective effort and not individual effort. Players no dey carry the trophy go house.

To compare players, use individual awards, statistics and abilities.

Also, you compare oliseh to viera, Keane,all makalele...not Mikel.

59 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by opalu: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
Lol
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Firespitter: 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
crossfm:
Come which Ayegbeni?.I hope it not who am thinking, because if na him we go die here.This dude broke my heart that year with the miss of the century.

The legendary goal misser grin

5 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by LLSAINT(m): 1:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
There is no place for argument
It is not a subject of debate
Oliseh one leg pass Mikel 2legs in Defensive Midfield

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AFCON 2019: Full Fixtures For The Round Of 16 / Festus 'Adegboye' Onigbinde Files For Divorce From Wife For Being Violent / Bailly: Man Utd Should Avoid Favouring English Players & Give Everyone A Chance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.