Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,222 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:13 PM

Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder (23983 Views)

Yakubu Aiyegbeni: 'Gernot Rohr Is The Worst Coach In Nigeria History' / Yakubu Aiyegbeni Celebrates His 37th Birthday Today / Aiyegbeni Names Best Striker In Super Eagles Squad Ahead Of AFCON (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 2:36pm On Aug 11, 2020
if not for injury, Amokachi would have gone ahead to be the best in his generation, guy had it all; speed, strength and skill. Yekini remains best in that generation cos he's still irreplaceable till now. Oliseh tried but does not even come to close to Amokachie. The likes of mutiu, finidi and siasia can still pull it with oliseh.

Mikel in his generation is the best, if moses had being more committed, he comes close.

3 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 2:41pm On Aug 11, 2020
Grandmeister:

And yet Mikel won everything oliseh won and done more playing a role that wasn’t his natural position? Abeg make we hear word!
Lol.. No offence but it seems you didn't watch oliseh play.
If not you wouldn't say this thing.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by LLSAINT(m): 2:43pm On Aug 11, 2020
Look beyond emotions
Winning trophies has nothing to do with a singular player. It is a team effort.
The Stats for passes speak
Grandmeister:

And yet Mikel won everything oliseh won and done more playing a role that wasn’t his natural position? Abeg make we hear word!
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by elpochas: 2:44pm On Aug 11, 2020
Grandmeister:

So one memorable goal is
Did you watch Oliseh play?Even Mikel knows that Oliseh was a better holding midfielder than him.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

How is Oliseh far ahead?

Mikel did well in Champions League, FA cups, Multiple EPL big games. A key player in a very successful chelsea and capped it with a brilliant AFCON as a standout player for Nigeria.

So how is Oliseh greater?

Oliseh was even in a better Nigerian super eagles that had the likes of yekini, siasia, amokachi, finidi etc. compared to the lower quality of super eagles palyers mikel played with.

it's like saying peter rufai was a better goal keeper than enyeama with defenders like uche, taribo, eguavoen, iroha while enyeama had oboabona, omeruo and the likes.

major stars like mikel, enyeama are still too underrated by Nigerians. Those fellows are our original football heroes of their generation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

How is Oliseh far ahead?

Mikel did well in Champions League, FA cups, Multiple EPL big games. A key player in a very successful chelsea and capped it with a brilliant AFCON as a standout player for Nigeria.

How's Mikel a key player in Chelsea during their successful period? Tell me how many starts he has per season and how many mins he had per season during their successful period?
Let's leave sentiments aside, the way we're hyping him someone will think he's one yaya toure of Manchester city
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 2:48pm On Aug 11, 2020
Goke7:

Oliseh was even in a better Nigerian super eagles that had the likes of yekini, siasia, amokachi, finidi etc. compared to the lower quality of super eagles palyers mikel played with.

it's like saying peter rufai was a better goal keeper than enyeama with defenders like uche, taribo, eguavoen, iroha while enyeama had oboabona, omeruo and the likes.

major stars like mikel, enyeama are still too underrated by Nigerians. Those fellows are our original football heroes of their generation
How is Mikel underrated. Brings his contribution stats at club level and appearances let's see how influential he was for the said successful Chelsea team.
Mikel is an example of attaché player. Can't be compared to oliseh at all.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by salford1: 2:51pm On Aug 11, 2020
The 92-94 super Eagles was the greatest squad Nigeria ever had.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 2:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:
How is Mikel underrated. Brings his contribution stats at club level and appearances let's see how influential he was for the said successful Chelsea team.
Mikel is an example of attaché player. Can't be compared to oliseh at all.

Mikel, an attache player? oh no, his achievements in the national team counters whatever opinions anyone has about his chelsea exploits. Not too many players do that well at both club and national team. that singles mikel out any day

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by sonso: 2:53pm On Aug 11, 2020
crossfm:
Come which Ayegbeni?.I hope it not who am thinking, because if na him we go die here.This dude broke my heart that year with the miss of the century.

I can't just forget that day,its still fresh in my mind.The memory has refuse to go away. Bros please don't say anything again pls.

I know what you are thinking.
He flopped well well that day.
But he is right on this.
Oliseh is better than Mikel.

Thinking of starting a business?
Get the book 'Businesses that necer fail, even when you deserve to fail'
From my signature below.

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 2:55pm On Aug 11, 2020
sonso:

I know what you are thinking.
He flopped well well that day.
But he is right on this.
Oliseh is better than Mikel.

Thinking of starting a business?
Get the book 'Businesses that necer fail, even when you deserve to fail'
From my signature below.

He is not right jor, mikel is not even a natural dm in the first place, was he not converted to one?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 2:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
salford1:
The 92-94 super Eagles was the greatest squad Nigeria ever had.

no argument cos since then we never had and may never have such kind of collection of quality players in one go.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by fortune1968: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2020
Sure
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2020
Goke7:

Mikel, an attache player? oh no, his achievements in the national team counters whatever opinions anyone has about his chelsea exploits. Not too many players do that well at both club and national team. that singles mikel out any day
That's why I asked... How's his contributions at club level? By been on the bench 90% of the times. Lol

Mikel is as well better than Essien in africa since he won both afcon and champions league which essien didn't
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Damianwest19: 2:59pm On Aug 11, 2020
How is Oliseh far ahead?

During Tunisia '94, most of the goals that the team scored was as a result of Olise's pullout and crosses even the final goal that gave us the trophy came from his cross. Although he was not spectacular in his clubside in terms of trophies but when it came to National duties he put in wonderful performance. Remember his goal against Spain in France '98...There was a time he was even sick and the Eagles were losing to Senegal and he insisted on playing even though he was not dressed for the match...He was also good during the '94 World Cup
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 3:00pm On Aug 11, 2020
Goke7:

He is not right jor, mikel is not even a natural dm in the first place, was he not converted to one?
Is Alaba a natural fullback? Is trent Arnold a natural full back? Why the excuse for Mikel?
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by WibusJaga: 3:01pm On Aug 11, 2020
Nbotee:
Before nko... But there is no greater miss than dat one u missed in d world cup sha...

And some people insult Ronaldo calling him Tapinaldo.

You think tap-in is easy. undecided

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Abel86: 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
Lies
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by fabienjoe: 3:02pm On Aug 11, 2020
davibid:

The Mikel we saw in 2005 was a prospective superstar, but I think he remained complacent about himself as a professional footballer and concentrated more on making money, hence he was contented with being on Chelsea’s bench. Yes! He won practically every trophy an average player would dream of winning except the WC but regardless Mikel can’t rated as someone you had spectacular career.
Remember we have good players and great players, and few fantastic players.

But Mikel was just a player and between him and Sunday, I’ll give to Sunday.

#KINGBID

Mikel was a super regular in Chelsea till the later part of his career. He was not a bench warner. An average player does not play for Chelsea consistently for so long under different managers.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:03pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:
How's Mikel a key player in Chelsea during their successful period? Tell me how many starts he has per season and how many mins he had per season during their successful period?
Let's leave sentiments aside, the way we're hyping him someone will think he's one yaya toure of Manchester city

The Nigerian was on parade on Saturday, and became the club’s third-highest overseas appearance maker

John Mikel Obi became the 21st player to make 350 appearances for Chelsea in the Blues’ 2-2 draw against Watford in Saturday’s English Premier League fixture.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/african-all-stars/2015/12/26/18724442/mikel-sets-appearance-record-with-chelsea

You don't get to such a record by being a bystander.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2020
Damianwest19:
How is Oliseh far ahead?

During Tunisia '94, most of the goals that the team scored was as a result of Olise's pullout and crosses even the final goal that gave us the trophy came from his cross. Although he was not spectacular in his clubside in terms of trophies but when it came to National duties he put in wonderful performance. Remember his goal against Spain in France '98...There was a time he was even sick and the Eagles were losing to Senegal and he insisted on playing even though he was not dressed for the match...He was also good during the '94 World Cup

Mikel was a key player for One of the most successful team in Europe and coupled it with a brilliant Afcon performance.

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Jodera: 3:06pm On Aug 11, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

The Nigerian was on parade on Saturday, and became the club’s third-highest overseas appearance maker

John Mikel Obi became the 21st player to make 350 appearances for Chelsea in the Blues’ 2-2 draw against Watford in Saturday’s English Premier League fixture.

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4110/african-all-stars/2015/12/26/18724442/mikel-sets-appearance-record-with-chelsea

You don't get to such a record by being a bystander.
of course you can by coming of the bench. How many were starts? You can't be a good player by always coming off the bench. No great player does that

And I ask, how was he key? By been on the bench?
Show me how he was key.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 3:09pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:
[b]That's why I asked... How's his contributions at club level? By been on the bench 90% of the times. Lol

[/b]Mikel is as well better than Essien in africa since he won both afcon and champions league which essien didn't

This is an exaggerated lie and you know it. Sometimes we all forget that even some of the other world class players we celebrate were benched at one or more points in their career, fabregas, mata, ozil, Essien sef etc. talking about essien what impact did he make for his country.

too much Nollywood is our problem as we feel if a player is not as entertaining as we like, then he is not good enough.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:10pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:
of course you can by coming of the bench. How many were starts? You can't be a good player by always coming off the bench. No great player does that

You can not be coming from the bench and become the third most capped foreigner in a club like Chelsea. Forget that side, Mikel was key. That was why he started in the Champions league finals against Bayern Munich and started both games against Barcelona.

That is not a bencher.

3 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:11pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:

Show me how he was key.

Did Mikel not start in the FA Cup finals? Is that a bencher to you? Mikel was a big part of Chelsea's history.

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 3:11pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:

Show me how he was key.

lies, even the present man u coach made his name as a player by being a super sub, when did you start watching football pls and where are you getting your theories from?

2 Likes

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2020
LLSAINT:
Look beyond emotions
Winning trophies has nothing to do with a singular player. It is a team effort.
The Stats for passes speak

Mike played for Chelsea while Oliseh played for juve
When Oliseh played for Juve ..chelsea was not really a power house and still what did Oliseh win at that time...Nigerians hate Mikel,why...i have no idea but to compare Mikel to Oliseh is plain rubbish..Only thing Oliseh has over Mikel is number of goals,after that....nothing
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Nobody: 3:22pm On Aug 11, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You can not be coming from the bench and become the third most capped foreigner in a club like Chelsea. Forget that side, Mikel was key. That was why he started in the Champions league finals against Bayern Munich and started both games against Barcelona.

That is not a bencher.
He was so important he at a time played as cb during that season
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Goke7: 3:26pm On Aug 11, 2020
milehigh06:

Mike played for Chelsea while Oliseh played for juve
When Oliseh played for Juve ..chelsea was not really a power house and still what did Oliseh win at that time... Nigerians hate Mikel,why...i have no idea but to compare Mikel to Oliseh is plain rubbish..Only thing Oliseh has over Mikel is number of goals,after that....nothing

they wanted him to play and entertain like okocha. The damage okocha did to our football.....hmmm.....

1 Like

Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by sageb: 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2020
Mikel is good but Oliseh is better.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Ogbeniomo: 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2020
OkhaiAsein:
Mikel time don pass now..
Mikel is the one we only know and love future coach by the way

Meanwhile I'll design a brand logo and flyers for your business at affordable price
''Mikel is the one we only know and love', one of the indomie generation spotted.
Re: Aiyegbeni: Oliseh Greater Than Mikel As Defensive Midfielder by Grandmeister(m): 3:36pm On Aug 11, 2020
Jodera:
Lol.. No offence but it seems you didn't watch oliseh play.
If not you wouldn't say this thing.
I’m in my early 30s so you can bet I watched oliseh play..Mikel is a better/talented player than him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Saul Niguez: Chelsea Agree Loan Deal For Atletico Madrid Midfielder. / AFCON 2019: Full Fixtures For The Round Of 16 / Festus 'Adegboye' Onigbinde Files For Divorce From Wife For Being Violent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.