Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,819 members, 7,806,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? (19532 Views)

Marriage Is Now Useless, No Discipline / How To Discipline Your Child The Smart And Healthy Way-UNICEF / My Aunt Doesn't Want Me To Discipline Her Children. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by udoekere: 4:48pm On Aug 11, 2020
In your own opinion what way do you think is the best to discipline a child

I have read and have seen alot of pic of children being brutalize in the name of discipline which prompted me in creating this thread

so whats the best way to discipline a child without being cruel

6 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by DICKstractor: 4:56pm On Aug 11, 2020
Flogging a child have become an ancient way of discipline. Even if you want to beat a child, you don't have to do it everytime. There are some things a child will do that doesn't require flogging.

If you keep flogging a child, they will come a time that the sight of cains will not move the child anymore. They will grow used to it and at the same time start hating you for being toxic to them

The substitute for flogging can be seizing things they cherish ; e.g phones, toys, games, etc. You can also ground them from doing things they do on a norms; watching TVs, playing video games, hanging out with friends, etc. At the end of the discipline, make sure you call them and tell them why what they did is wrong

In conclusion, I can say as a parent, you should know the kind of discipline to adopt depending on the intensity of the crime. Everything should be done on a balance

153 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Righteousness89(m): 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2020
Stick and Carrot Approach!

You Thoroughly Discipline the Child when He needs to be Disciplined! Do not Spare the Rod!

You also Cuddle and Show Him/her love after that.

There is Nothing Ancient about Flogging a Child.. if you fail to Discipline your Child, He/She will Discipline you when the time comes..

Flogging is a Form of Discipline, and if he/She needs to be flogged, don't Spare the Rod..

105 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by VirginFinder: 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2020
Dotherightthing:

You Tthoroughly Ddiscipline the Cchild when Hhe needs to be Ddisciplined! Do not Sspare the Rrod!

You also Ccuddle and Sshow Hhim/her love after that.

8 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by yanabasee1(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2020
The best way is to punish a child and immediately correct the child and have the child take correction.

The essence of punishing a child is for the child to never return back to the act.

Most people neglect that part of ensuring that the child should take correction immediately.

You can flog a child or give the child a punishment to do something. But at the end, ensure that he takes correction....Very important.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Vyzz: 6:52pm On Aug 11, 2020
Flogging and advising worked on me...

It helped shaped me into what I am today

For this I thank my parents

Modified :

For those quoting me with the question "Who are u today"... It doesn't matter who I am now...

It is who I was...

I know the type of kid I was back then and if it wasn't for my dad's strictness and my mama's advice...

I would have made so many terrible mistake that would have affected this me.... Especially during my teenage days

Those things helped reshape me... I don't know for u guys that's why I said "for me"..

65 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by dgr8truth(m): 8:20pm On Aug 11, 2020
Flogging still remains the best form of discipline. Most of us today that are around 35yrs upward are products of no nonsense fathers and luckily our lives turn out well.

Never give in to the intricacies of children, flog them when appropriate, don't play politics with their lives. The earlier we incorporate fear into them the better for our society.

Modified*
Those of you quoting me and spewing your bile contents at me, take your frustration/negative energy somewhere else, and endeavor to rest, frustration kills.

May the lord help you people so that you will not be consumed by frustration. Shalom.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by ThothHermes: 9:19pm On Aug 11, 2020
thambolo:

I adore you❕
Are you gay or something

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by DrLiveLogic(m): 7:09am On Aug 12, 2020
udoekere:
lalasticlala what do you have to say about this.i believe you also have a family...so what way do u think it's the best

If we assume the goal is to make your kids of great value to society. Nature has made life "no pain, no gain". Check with your muscles, we can never change that. It's up to us to research the limit of pain we can absorb to add extra value to ourselves.
It all begins with yourself, then. The extent of discipline you can apply on your child actually can never be more than what you've applied to yourself cause you'd subconsciously consider yourself hypocritical, extreme or unrealistic if you ever tried.
So what's the most you've endured to stretch you to actually make turnarounds in your life. Begin to apply it in principle to your kids and very early too.

Basic things first:

1/ Have you ever had to miss a favourite dish because you were late. That might have made you never be late for lunchbreak again. Apply that to your kid. Teach them the morning routine to get to school and set a time target for them. They miss it, they get very little chicken that day or they get beans instead of fried rice. That kinda stuff. Same with reading targets and chores you give them.
If you are not built on these, you'd bend and then you'd never get sustainable results but if you got steel will and don't ever bend for anything in the world, they'd learn to push themselves to meet set targets.

2/ Restrict pleasure to the place of rewards in their lives. If you make pleasure part of their daily life, you eventually etch it as a right into their subconscious. Do your kids watch cartoons and entertainment regularly? This is a setup to hamper success, rewiring their brain to seek pleasure rather than development and then when you would try to effect the discipline of capacity building, there's already a resistance built in their subconscious. But when you make such entertainment a reward of meeting self-development targets, then pleasure works in tandem with development.

3/ Mr Cane: Use of the cane is effective but depends on laws of the part of the world you live in and is recommended only if you've disciplined your emotions, I daresay. If you're gonna flog, do it like a robot, with neither pity nor anger. Never flog with emotions. Calculate the limit of pain that would hurt the most but not maim the child and minimal number of strokes. As little as three strokes would do because the brain registers the pain of even just one stroke to serve as deterrent. The use of the cane must be replaced with other deterrents once the kid has learnt to endure/"chest"(as we used to say) the cane and proves rebellious in spite of it. This is common with males.

4/ Never ever let your wife interfere with your disciplinary measures. Your standards must be non-negotiable in the mind of your kids if they will be most effective. Do not sacrifice the future of your kids for her transient feminine melodrama. She doesn't love them more than you do for all that.

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by udoekere: 7:29am On Aug 12, 2020
lalasticlala what do you have to say about this.i believe you also have a family...so what way do u think it's the best

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Aimerosa25(f): 8:40am On Aug 12, 2020
Flogging and advice go at different stages,from ages 2 -13, can be flogged ,14 upward needs advise but this age varies based on the type of parents,some parents can beat a child at 20 so it depends.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Bosch10(m): 9:24am On Aug 12, 2020
Righteousness89:

You Thoroughly Discipline the Child when He needs to be Disciplined! Do not Spare the Rod!

You also Cuddle and Show Him/her love after that.
you spoke my mind sir.many parents do only one if the two which doesn't correct the error the child has done

5 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Sensitivity: 11:50am On Aug 12, 2020
Thank me later grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by morikee: 11:50am On Aug 12, 2020
By whipping his A** everyday

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by perdollar(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2020
don't spare d rod

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 12, 2020
Encourage the child to always say the truth by not punishing and shouting when he or she does wrong. Always correct kindly and if the child does it again you can ask them to kneel down, raise their hands and close their eyes for 20 minutes or even 40 minutes because they hate it and will surely cry.

I repeat, dont ever let your kids cultivate the habit of lieing, that is the worst thing that can happen to a parent child relationship and the consequences are more than who stole meat in the pot. They could be bullied or sexually molested but they wont tell you and on and on and on

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by flyca: 11:50am On Aug 12, 2020
Many ways....
1. Teach the child right and wrong with calm words and actions.

2. Set limits and rules that your child can follow.

3. Calmly and firmly explain the consequences if they don't behave.

4. Listening is very important, hear them out!

5. Reinforce good behaviour and discourage / redirect the bad ones.

6. Stop the constant flogging and beating, except of course if you are raising an animal cool

8 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by moscobabs(m): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Forget what the generation has become. Beating is the best way to discipline children.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Traviscottt: 11:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Kill the child.
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Samirana360(m): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Kill the child

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Wuuworld(m): 11:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Beating is not the solution

I think taking away some privileges sends the right signal.
Just look for what he/she enjoy doing most and stop them from doing that when they go wrong.

You will raise a proud child.

1 Like

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 12, 2020
Aimerosa25:
Flogging and advice go at different stages,from ages 2 -13, can be flogged ,14 upward needs advise but this age varies based on the type of parents,some parents can beat a child at 20 so it depends.
are you OKAY
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Bkayyy: 11:52am On Aug 12, 2020
Beat him, bring a cane and force him to say "mummy calm down" for publicity while recording it

3 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by Image123(m): 11:52am On Aug 12, 2020
Flog crase comot for the head.

Pro_13:24  He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

It is the proven best way, there are other ways too but the child will spoil and smell like soakaway.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by BabalolaVictor(m): 11:52am On Aug 12, 2020
Yankee children - advise (because they've listening ears)
Naija children - Flogging and strict restrictions

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by gungab(m): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2020
Common Meeenh

Ground the child
Re: What's The Best Way To Discipline A Child? by lamalang(m): 11:53am On Aug 12, 2020
Don’t buy him what he want.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Bills Do You Hate Paying The Most? / Excited Couple Welcome Set Of Twins After 28 Years Of Marriage. Photo / Baby Stolen In Uyo, Recovered In Owerri - Police Deny Mother Access (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.