Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,409 members, 7,800,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? (23793 Views)

What Was The Very First Programming Language You Learnt? / What Have You Learned From The Recent Layoffs? / Is It Advisable To Learn Java As My First Programming Language? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:54pm On Aug 12, 2020
Ohh thats insightful
SegFault:

Because it was the first a book I bought advised me to learn then I one day asked myself "how are compilers made?" went beating around the bush with a little theory I could not even understand, wrote a little rubbish with C#, but the problem was that I wanted to learn graphics programming and C# was slow and not good enough for that so I had to learn C++ the dreaded ugly language, then I heard of a language faster and "harder" (a lie obviously) and I came to know C and love it.
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by tensazangetsu20(m): 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
barragan:

How many people truly knows Excel, I'm sure you can't find up to a thousand of them in Nigeria.
Excel that is even used in data science. Pivot tables and co.

3 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Ronin1: 12:55pm On Aug 12, 2020
JavaScript because of how versatile it is, you can pretty much use it anywhere these days. Now learning ReactJS and React native which is still JavaScript, I don't see myself leaving the ecosystem anytime soon but I do have some interest in C#

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2020
Exactly. Any Programming LAnguage epsecially Object oriented can do amazing things, and we have to know how to make good things for ourselves, its not about the knowledge, its about the products.

onyechez:
C++ but is being a long time, it is very easy to say I have learned this and that, but it is another thing to create something out of it and solve a problem in the world. We need to step up our game in Africa and build something for ourselves.
I was surprised when I heard some government in Africa hire foreign based computer scientist and engineers to improve on quality delivery on services and secure their data base management systems while we got our programmers and the rest. Too bad.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Darkseid(m): 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2020
24SEVEN:
Fortran. For Year 1. Like 15 yrs ago.
Nigerian universities still dey teach FORTRAN till today, and you'll wonder why the country is still stagnant.

8 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Sirwallace(m): 12:56pm On Aug 12, 2020
shegzhkn:

walai talahi sumhobilahi liazin grin even baba kamo for my street sef na dev. no wonder job no dae again

many are programmers or what is simply term coders. they are not problem solvers. programming is all about solving problem and developing ideas to automate system.

Baba Kamo in your area is just a coder not a developer. it takes a lot to be a developer.

7 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by GoodFaith: 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2020
COBOL, Assembly, Qbasic and C++
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by SeriouslySense(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2020
Exactly, its about problem solving, I value programming for this, not really for money, its adds value to problem solving
Sirwallace:

many are programmers or what is simply term coders. they are not problem solvers. programming is all about solving problem and developing ideas to automate system.

Baba Kamo in your area is just a coder not a developer. it takes a lot to be a developer.

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Swagahyk(m): 12:58pm On Aug 12, 2020
lekbel09:
This is getting boring, honestly many people are now programmers or have some relevant IT skills and very soon this skill will be like pure water . angry grin grin.

Much like how MS WORD , MS Excel were all hot cake between 2000-2009.
Although not anymore now it's become a redundant skill to have

Same way people are running from Mathematics, same way people will be avoiding coding. Coding is not for everyone. Its calculation and logic combined. Not everyone that starts, do finish it. IT field cannot be saturated.

12 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by LAUWALI222(m): 1:02pm On Aug 12, 2020
Zebra
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by mabeni(m): 1:05pm On Aug 12, 2020
My mother's tongue grin
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Sirwallace(m): 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Excel that is even used in data science. Pivot tables and co.

when people talk down on excel, I laugh in swahili.

how many Nigerian graduates, especially those ill educated youth corpers can use power pivot, power query, and write DAX formula and create Dashboard in excel? I believe some people are hearing all of this for the first time.

excel is the first choice for analysing data in corporate organization due to its flexibility and user interface friendliness.

Ad power BI to that excel and you can render big programming language like python useless in handling data analysis

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by rowland545(m): 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
Pls anyone with any good PDF file on how to learn any programming language will be appreciated...

You can send to my email.....rowlande87@gmail.com
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by olubantylove(m): 1:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
PHP, maybe because i hate developing frontend applications... I'm more of a backend developer... Use more of laravel now...
However, i would love to learn Javascript before year ends. you can't just hate that language.. it's damn dynamic, from backend(nodejs,express) to mobile(react native) to frontend (react, vue, angular).It's really poweful just as python now...
My advise if you want to start learning programming, learn javascript and if you want to be just a Backend guy, learn Golang trust me you will like it and it's powerful too..

3 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:07pm On Aug 12, 2020
Exactly IT is very Wide area, there are new programming languages coming up, although JAva was mearnt to keep evolving, we see for instance Kotlin is now been used for android development, ASP.NET CORE is now going mobile and Xamarin, which are like deriavatives from C Sharp.

Programming keeps evolving, unlike before when we had functional programs, like cobol and fortran, which where not robust or scalable, then object oriented programming where invented Such as C, JAVA and C Sharp.

in the evolution, Programming langaues may be becomming more adapatable to creating both mobile and computer apps, and webs, and in new areas, like AI (Python) and Virtual reality (C++. and C #).

So we have a lot of programming langauage suitable for statictics and data visualization (Python, R)

others for microcontrollers (C)

then For Web( html, CSS, JavaScript, NODE JS, REACT)
Swagahyk:

Same way people are running from Mathematics, same way people will be avoiding coding. Coding is not for everyone. Its calcuation and logic combined. Not everyone that starts, do finish it. IT field cannot be saturated.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by salvo583: 1:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
BASIC. Because it was a requisite
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by shegzhkn: 1:08pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sirwallace:

problem solving asin algorithms and data structures right ??

Also in your own term what will you say this coders are doing if they ain't solving problems ??

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by operAhdam: 1:10pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennyking1234:
Python during my ss2 days. Still learning though.

..if you want to learn programming, I have resources to give for free. Quote me.
Help a brother boss.0903608036
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
uc4uandc:
Abeg which one is simplest
How do I start?
Do I need a tutor?
Do I need to download an app on my PC?
Where do I download?
What is the name of the App?

I want to learn programming
My answers to your questions in order:

Firstly, get a determined mind. It's an exciting but rough and challenging journey.

Secondly, get a Laptop. Four gigabytes ram is my recommended minimum. 2gig too will do but try to get 4gig ram.

Thirdly, choose your stack. Stack, in programming setting, simply means your set of tools.

For example, a typical web designer's stack is HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP/Laravel and MySQL.

A typical Android developer's stack is XML, Java and Kotlin.

A typical data/GIS analyst's stack is R and/or Python and Postgresql.

As you can see, your stack will be determined by your career path. So it's best to first research which career path you want to thread before choosing a stack.

2- It depends on your nature. But personally, I don't attend and won't recommend these tutorial centres to learn programming. Just go to YouTube and search for web development for beginners, you'll see more than enough tutorials. After that you can take a course from a world renowned tutorial centre e.g w3schools.com etc just to get certificate.

I hope this helps.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Sirwallace(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
shegzhkn:

problem solving asin algorithms and data structures right ??

yeah.

many people don't see web developers as programmers. annoying but it is what it is.

I have a friend from school who started programing because he was a game freak and decided to go on and create his own version of PES. that's the motivation.

the dude is part of the team who create the Lagos Bus ATM scan and pay device.

5 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by randomShek: 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
shizzy7:
what is the best way to learn mysql for a beginner?
Download this course “MySQL for Data Analysis and Business Intelligence” by 365Careers from coursedrive

Then PRACTICE, PRACTICE and PRACTICE while following other advance resources to achieve mastery

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by blife2: 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
Sirwallace:

when people talk down on excel, I laugh in swahili.

how many Nigerian graduates, especially those ill educated youth corpers can use power pivot, power query, and write DAX formula and create Dashboard in excel? I believe some people are hearing all of this for the first time.

excel is the first choice for analysing data in corporate organization due to its flexibility and user interface friendliness.

Ad power BI to that excel and you can render big programming language like python useless in handling data analysis
I guess you dont know python from what your saying

1 Like

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Ademoore07(m): 1:12pm On Aug 12, 2020
Pascal and Fotran
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2020
I will Advise young ones interested to have very strong Skills in programming, begin to apply it to produce and solves problems, there is a lot to do.
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by olubantylove(m): 1:13pm On Aug 12, 2020
rowland545:
Pls anyone with any good PDF file on how to learn any programming language will be appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pThnRneDjw
check that link out, it's going to show you the guides to being a developer... it's actually a video by traversy media... you can as well check him out on YouTube.

2 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by barragan: 1:14pm On Aug 12, 2020
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Sirwallace(m): 1:14pm On Aug 12, 2020
rowland545:

go to pdfdrive.com

and search for these books:

automate the boring stuff in Python
Python for dummies
eloquent javascript.

start from there and check what fascinate you.

2 Likes

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by thompson1510(m): 1:17pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennyking1234:

..if you want to learn programming, I have resources to give for free. Quote me.
Interested in this bro...
my email is justmeright74(at)gmail(dot)com
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Sirwallace(m): 1:19pm On Aug 12, 2020
blife2:

I guess you dont know python from what your saying

python is huge no doubt, but from first hand experience in a big corporate organization, python is as useless there as I mention.

business intelligences provided by Power BI and DAX in excel has rendered it useless.

for big Data and scientific data analysis, Oython can make sway there with TensorFlow, pandas and the likes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by Bugcompiler(m): 1:20pm On Aug 12, 2020
QBASIC compulsory course for computer science students
Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by GeoAfrikana(m): 1:23pm On Aug 12, 2020
lekbel09:
This is getting boring, honestly many people are now programmers or have some relevant IT skills and very soon this skill will be like pure water . angry grin grin.

Much like how MS WORD , MS Excel were all hot cake between 2000-2009.
Although not anymore now it's become a redundant skill to have

Yes knowledge of Microsoft office is now ubiquitous. No, it hasn't become redundant.

Rather, it has become requisite knowledge that you're expected to have.

Same way programming is turning into requisite knowledge for many social science and engineering fields.

Today, the world has more data than traditional methods and tools like excel, SPSS etc can comfortably handle. This is what they call BIG DATA. And this data is coming at an undescribable fast rate than.

Tell me, how can you analyze 2 million rows of data with excel on your computer. Now imagine if the values of those two million rows keep changing every every hour. How can your typical tool handle that?

That's where programming comes in. As a statistician with programming skills, you can help your company automate the boring, redundant or even humanly-impossible tasks therefore helping them make guided decisions.

Programming is the future of any decision support system.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Was The First Programming Language You Learned And Why? by DonroxyII: 1:24pm On Aug 12, 2020
Kennyking1234:

I want to bro !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Community Project(strictly Java) / What Programming Language Is Used In Creating Viruses? / My New Excel Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.