Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,095 members, 7,807,272 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:49 AM

Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death (40534 Views)

Google Celebrates Sam Okwaraji's Posthumous Birthday With Doodle (Photos) / In Remembrance Of Sam Okwaraji: 5 Facts About Nigeria’s Football Martyr / Meet The Mother Of Sam Okwaraji: "FG Has Abandoned" (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Roozzaay(m): 11:06am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest in Power Sam
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by gsmcoder: 11:06am On Aug 12, 2020
I remember that game, betnaija cut my ticket on that game.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by jrusky(m): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2020
finnacle2020:
Is there any stadium named after him

Good question.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by exquisitehair(f): 11:08am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest on legend cry cry cry
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Adejoe2020: 11:08am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest in peace legend
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Bigmikedagod(m): 11:09am On Aug 12, 2020
F
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by money121(m): 11:12am On Aug 12, 2020
Ok
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by GallantDuke(m): 11:14am On Aug 12, 2020
RIP Sam Opkaraji.
I can't forget the story that he died while playing against India, a match they alleged the Indians won 99-1.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by ogbonnachrys: 11:23am On Aug 12, 2020
That 99-1 match between Nigeria and India, anyone with highlights? I want to check something pls

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2020
Oh okparaji,oh okparaji,Iwo nikan lowo baba,Iwo nikan lowo mama,tan ba n GBA boolu lorun ko ge won lege ara

1 Like

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by naptu2: 11:26am On Aug 12, 2020
topshotnista:
99:1

topshotnista:
Ninety-nine one.. Who else believed that bullshit

Naijaguy12345:
He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.
99-1 Make una take am easy !

[img]https://i./CacJ.gif[/img]

GallantDuke:
RIP Sam Opkaraji.
I can't forget the story that he died while playing against India, a match they alleged the Indians won 99-1.

ogbonnachrys:
That 99-1 match between Nigeria and India, anyone with highlights? I want to check something pls

naptu2:
I had heard of that mythical match between Nigeria and India long before Samuel Okwaraji died.

Teslim "Thunder" Balogun scored Nigeria's only goal in the version that I heard. There was also another myth that Thunder Balogun killed his brother by playing a shot (with his left leg) that went through his brother's stomach.

I didn't believe the myths because they sounded too fantastic.

My uncle (the one that told me that Okwaraji was dead) played with Thunder Balogun and I thought of asking him if the stories were true, but I never summoned the courage too ask him (I didn't want to ask him a ridiculous question).

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by sylve11: 11:29am On Aug 12, 2020
31 years just like yesterday.... Legend, continue to journey well.. cool
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by princepee: 11:34am On Aug 12, 2020
Please all this India 99 Nigeria 1 nonsense should stop. Nigeria have never played India in any know international match... I stand to be corrected!

2 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Elmander1983(m): 11:40am On Aug 12, 2020
U know better
paulolee:
was an icon...i remembered that match that he died jus like yesterday and i even knew he already lost his life on the pitch because of the reactions of team mates that came around and even the medics and its normal to play down the incident till after the match..
continue to rest in peace a football legend on and off the pitch..
bt pls nairalanders help me address that India vs Nigeria match that ended 99-1, did that match really happened or was just a folklore??...
am asking because if its really a lie, that means its the 2nd heaviest scam ever in the history of Nigeria followed by the "CHANGE" we were all promised...
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Airtimex(m): 11:42am On Aug 12, 2020
Rest in peace legend
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by gabbasin: 11:45am On Aug 12, 2020
I can't forget that day in a hurry, I was at the stadium taking my seat under the giant scoreboard, the stadium was full to capacity and there was no crowd control measures in place, the covered terrace too was filled to the brim resulting in some fans standing, blocking the view of those sitting, those standing were pushed and rolled down to the railings resulting in the death of about 6 fans.
Okparaji was waiting for a throw in when he slumped, I saw Siasia with his hands on his head, I feared something terrible might have happened to Sam, he was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, the ambulances had a busy day going in out of the stadium rushing fans who were injured in the stampede on the terrace to the hospital. Not until the next morning I read in the papers that Okparaji and 6 fans had died in the course of the match against Angola in which Nigeria won 1-0 courtesy of returnee Okey Isima stunner

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by amaifehenry(m): 11:45am On Aug 12, 2020
He is also linked with the controversial match between Nigeria and India which was claimed that he scored the only goal against the Indian side 99-1 which leads to his death on the pitch.

Watch his last moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOM6IWkFieo
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by realestate99: 11:46am On Aug 12, 2020
ogbonnachrys:

That match did not happen, it was just to spice up our childhood, I bet you, Nigeria u20 team will beat India senior national team, India is a cricket country they do not really fancy football like that, and by the way the last time India played an African opponent in a friendly match they lost 5-0 to Zambia.

https://m.timesofindia.com/sports/football/top-stories/Zambia-rout-India-5-0-in-international-friendly/articleshow/10924365.cms
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by hitng(m): 11:58am On Aug 12, 2020
Are the india still in prison smiley smiley

Rip Legend
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by oluwaseunamos33(m): 12:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
rest in peace my brother.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by bobbybcbg(m): 12:06pm On Aug 12, 2020
finnacle2020:
Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria.

He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.

He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji
RIP
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by ajebuter(f): 12:22pm On Aug 12, 2020
31 years already?? Wow!

I remember a song of sorrow we sang for him in my college then....

Even his dreadlocks became a fashion trend among ladies ..

Sam Okwaraji.

Man was a legend.

Rest on..

3 Likes

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by shegzmartinsduke(m): 12:23pm On Aug 12, 2020
Na wa o! I don old be dat,cos i still remember watching that match on NTA.
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by aoshea18: 12:31pm On Aug 12, 2020
There was a song they sang for him that was so catchy that time....can't remember who sang it but i vaguely remember "oooh Okwaraji, oooh Okwaraji...you where beautiful(or something else here)....." it was in English by a very popular musician in those days. Can someone help me out?

naptu2:

Okwaraji's super goal

This is my favourite goal by Okwaraji. I searched YouTube for a video of this goal from 2008 till 2016 before I eventually found one. That's because most people on YouTube prefer to post videos of the final, which was also between Nigeria and Cameroon.

This is a group stage match at the 1988 Nations Cup (Maroc '88) between Nigeria and Cameroon. Okwaraji scored in the second minute via a rocket shot from outside the penalty box (this is the kind of shot that Ernest Okonkwo would describe as an "intercontinental ballistic missile). It was the fastest goal at the Nations Cup at that time. The player that dribbled down the right and passed to Okwaraji was Rashidi Yekini.

Roger Milla equalised in the 21st minute, via a bullet header that beat Peter Rufai and it ended

Nigeria 1-1 Cameroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY9ZYHyTVwU
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by YorubaLord: 12:32pm On Aug 12, 2020
finnacle2020:
Is there any stadium named after him

Okoro pple refused to name any after him. Instead all they channel their energy on is SW issues. angry

Awon Baba weyrey! angry
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Kalubolt(m): 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2020
paulolee:
was an icon...i remembered that match like it was yesterday, the little me was with my uncle watching that match live in surulere and i gat the feeling that all wasnt well on the pitch because of the reactions of his team mates that came around and even the medics sad reactions and its normal to play down the incident till after the match..
continue to rest in peace a football legend on and off the pitch..
bt pls nairalanders help me address that India vs Nigeria match that ended 99-1, did that match really happened or was just a folklore??...
am asking because if its really a lie, that means its the 2nd heaviest scam ever in the history of Nigeria followed by the "CHANGE" we were all promised...
Nothing like that happened, it is a fable story. Op said it is Okwaraji that scored the only goal while other report says it was Thunder Balogun.
It's all lies and fable stories
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by OROSUNBOLB(m): 1:21pm On Aug 12, 2020
I watched the game with our family black and white TV set then. I was a JSS 2 student. While watching the game,I had this usual uneasiness about the stadium on that particular day. The atmosphere seemed very cloudy and dark as if death was lurking around. It was indeed lurking around the stadium ! The match was very tough and the Angolans were quite physical and rough in their approach to the game. They were so determined not to lose the game.

When Okwaraji went down suddenly during the game,I knew something was fatally wrong as per how I had been feeling. Some of his colleagues put their hands on their heads expressing shock and fear. He was rushed to the hospital in an ambulance where medical personnel battled to safe his life. I was hoping for good news about him the following morning but the great Nigerian had gone home ! I cried and mourned "Oparaji" ,as we all fondly called him,for days.

May his patriotic and gentle soul continue to rest in peace as I pray to Allah (SAW) to grant him aljanah fridaus.

1 Like

Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by holywind(m): 1:39pm On Aug 12, 2020
topshotnista:
Ninety-nine one.. Who else believed that bullshit
12, august 1989
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by rationalhuman(m): 1:41pm On Aug 12, 2020
Agreed, I would like to add on, I had never seen anyone playing Football over there.
Maybe a small minority might be playing in some remote part of that land but not in Mainland, All i had seen is Cricket, Wrestling, Hockey and Chess.

They dont even watch Football world cup on TV.

princepee:
Please all this India 99 Nigeria 1 nonsense should stop. Nigeria have never played India in any know international match... I stand to be corrected!
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Damianwest19: 1:43pm On Aug 12, 2020
As a kid I once listened to an interview of his which he granted in Igbo language. I think he also played in Germany
Re: Remembering Sam Okwaraji: 31 Years After His Death by Thereishel: 1:50pm On Aug 12, 2020
finnacle2020:
Samuel Sochukwuma Okwaraji (19 May 1964 – 12 August 1989) was a professional footballer who played internationally for Nigeria.

He was also a qualified lawyer who had a masters in international law from the Pontifical Lateran University of Rome.

He collapsed and died of congestive heart failure in the 77th minute of a World Cup qualification match against Angola at the Lagos National Stadium in Surulere, Lagos State on 12 August 1989.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Okwaraji

He dies in 1979 and not 1989 it was 41 years after not 31

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9 Biggest Wasted Talents In Premier League History as Dele Alli sets for Turkey / Kehinde And Taiwo Awoniyi's 19th Birthday Celebrated By The Ex Eaglets Striker / Mikel Obi’s Girlfriend Accuses Nigerian Man Of Racism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.