Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,861 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:37 AM

How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation (32862 Views)

History : Iduu-eri Kingdom Of The Ancient Igbo People-pics / Ikeja Royal Families Unveil Tajudeen Muritala As New Monarch / Ancient igbo pyramids have been rediscovered (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 10:49am On Aug 12, 2020
[s]
MinorityOpinion:
Igala and Benin influenced igbo arts, most igbo don't know where they came from. Most art pieces in onitsha belong to igala priest that conquered and colonised igbos before the arrival of British
[/s] Ignorance they say is a disease, events of 16th century is like yesterday to what this thread is about, take your ignorance elsewhere.....I guess it's People that claim they descended from a man that fell from heaven bound in chain that knows where they are from

8 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 12, 2020
helinues:
This is when real ancient brown roofs are needed, but what can we say about people with no heritage...
Calm down and confess that Igbo amaka

Cc lzaa monogamy

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
You are off-point, Binis where an offshoot of early Igbo ancestors, Building an empire later-on has nothing to do with it...... Through out all their conquering and wars they never looked east towards the Igbos,..have you asked yourself why?

You are mistaken sir, its igbo that should be offshoot of Benin not the other way round, talking about never look east.

At the time, the Benin Kingdom was at the height of its military and political power and stretched far into the east and west of modern-day Nigeria.

Benin took their military operation to both west and east, that is why most of South south that disagree with igbos can trace their origin to Benin.

Now ask yourself this question if Benin was an offshoot of ancient igbo Kingdom (with I vehemently disagree with), what were other clan doing not matching up with them? Are they lazy? Are their IQ not the same with Benin so they retrogressed?

2 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by LZAA: 10:53am On Aug 12, 2020
imhotep:

Calm down and confess that Igbo amaka

Cc lzaa
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
[s][/s] Ignorance they say is a disease, events of 16th century is like yesterday to what this thread is about, take your ignorance elsewhere.....I guess it's People that claim they descended from a man that fell from heaven bound in chain that knows where they are from

Where are you from? Fake Jews story is even worse
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Dedetwo(m): 11:00am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:
Igala and Benin influenced igbo arts, most igbo don't know where they came from. Most art pieces in onitsha belong to igala priest that conquered and colonised igbos before the arrival of British

https://www.nairaland.com/attachments/12112952_tmpcam1188349453875245034_jpeg16d42740914d19eded3aa08302b43beb

It is plain idiocy for anybody to paste an obscure crap as bases of his or her facts. Igala did not capture any Igbo land. In fact, most Igala land were overrun by the Fulani Jihadist. Fulani incorporated Igala land into Emirates yet no such thing ever happened to Igbo land or lands beyond Igbo land. Fulani were handed their first defeat by the Akagbe and Igbo warriors at the northern boundaries of Igbo land. Why would Igala land be subjected under Emirate system and their subordinates were not? There was no Benin Oba who even dreamt of military expedition southeast of the village empire.

8 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Dedetwo(m): 11:04am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
[s][/s] Ignorance they say is a disease, events of 16th century is like yesterday to what this thread is about, take your ignorance elsewhere.....I guess it's People that claim they descended from a man that fell from heaven bound in chain that knows where they are from

Burkina Faso!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Dedetwo(m): 11:07am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

The Jewish crap remains a narrative from people such as you who spin-offs from the people of below average intellect.

1 Like

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 12, 2020
Dedetwo:

It is plain idiocy for anybody to paste an obscure crap as bases of his or her facts. Igala did not capture any Igbo land. In fact, most Igala land were overrun by the Fulani Jihadist. Fulani incorporated Igala land into Emirates yet no such thing ever happened to Igbo land or lands beyond Igbo land. Fulani were handed their first defeat by the Akagbe and Igbo warriors at the northern boundaries of Igbo land. Why would Igala land be subjected under Emirate system and their subordinates were not? There was no Benin Oba who even dreamt of military expedition southeast of the village empire.

Dishing out lies as usual. All the bolded words are lies, shey you people no dey think before dishing out your unbelievable lies?

What is your obsession with Fulani? Are you afraid of them? You are supporting one to be your president over your kinsmen sad

Igala conquered and dominated igbos then became their priest and control them, they introduced Osu to igbo land. Most of it is in that book I quoted, your history is pitiable and pathetic, no wonder you hide it from the world grin

Which war did Fulani and igbo fight, you think Fulani war is like the village invading that igbos call war? You don't stand a chance bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:10am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

You are mistaken sir, its igbo that should be offshoot of Benin not the other way round, talking about never look east.

Benin took their military operation to both west and east, that is why most of South south that disagree with igbos can trace their origin to Benin.

Now ask yourself this question if Benin was an offshoot of ancient igbo Kingdom (with I vehemently disagree with), what were other clan doing not matching up with them? Are they lazy? Are their IQ not the same with Benin so they retrogressed?
Binis where an offshoot of Igbos and continued recieving NRI priests for Earth cleansing and other purposes for hundreds of years

The Igbo migrations out of bini where descendants of these original NRI priests and emissaries, they started dispersing from Bini(Iduland) for different reasons and at different points on time

It is actually stupid to ask why other clans of Igbos didn't build empires like the Binis, sounds stupidundecided...The Nris where mainly priestly people and never tried to conquer anybody with military might, The Bini has a long standing tradition of not using the head of any Nri Descendant during the yearly igue(igu Aro) festival.

2 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
Binis where an offshoot of Igbos and continued recieving NRI priests for Earth cleansing and other purposes for hundreds of years

The Igbo migrations out of bini where descendants of these original NRI priests and emissaries, they started dispersing from Bini(Iduland) for different reasons and at different points on time

It is actually stupid to ask why other clans of Igbos didn't build empires like the Binis, sounds stupidundecided...The Nris where mainly priestly people and never tried to conquer anybody with military might, The Bini has a long standing tradition of not using the head of any Nri Descendant during the yearly igue(igu Aro) festival.

Can you prove any of these sir? Especially the bolded. I will try and read about Nri kingdom, hopefully when we meet next time, I'd be ready
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:13am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Tell us how you descended form heaven bound up in chains

1 Like

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:14am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Can you prove any of these sir? Especially the bolded. I will try and read about Nri kingdom, hopefully when we meet next time, I'd be ready
Go to the palace of the Oba of Benin and make inquiries, that should convince you

3 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:15am On Aug 12, 2020
Dedetwo:

The Jewish crap remains a narrative from people such as you who spanned off from class of below average intellect.

Enough, I'm losing brain cells trying to comprehend your jargons, bye
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by OfoIgbo: 11:17am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
Binis where actually an offshoot of an ancient Igbo group which included the"Isu" group of Igbos, The ISU and idu(Bini) along with three other relatives which include the igala ancestors, that's why Igbos,Bini and igala use the word "isee" to seal prayers signifying the original five branches.

Bini are a branch of the Igbo race. They left Nri under the leadership of Igodo to found Igodomigodo due to nso - ani. Hence Bini language and culture is similar to Igbo.

The Bini Igue Festival is borrowed from Nri Iguaro festival.

The Bini 4 days of the week - Eken, Afon, Orien, Nkwon were borrowed from Nri.

The Bini succession by primogeniture is an adaptation of the Okpalabisi Igbo system that grants total rights of succession to the first son.

The customary Bini breaking of Kolanut is also derived from Nri. 'Onye wetere oji wetere ndu'.

The New Yam festival is a carry over from Nri. It is still celebrated with pomp and pageantry in Benin.

The Ogiso dynasty of Igodo migodo is Igbo. Ogie - so means leader who must be followed.

Till date Nri Priests are important in the coronation functions of the Obas of Benin.

The word OKORO which is the finest specimen of the male species amongst Igbos, also means Prince in Bini.

Most people don't know that even Bini counting is very similar to Igbo counting.

Do you know that the Bini still use the Igbo word EGO, EGHO for money.

Many Bini towns still bear their Igbo names till date eg ISIUWA, IGUOBAZUWA.

The Benin Prince called Oduduwa /Izoduwa /Imaduwa who left to Ife just 900 years ago bears his Igbo name and its meanings on leadership is clear to every Igbo.

Thanks Obalatule for reeling out those most Igbo of practices that Benin got from the Igbos (Umu-Nri). I'm already aware of most of them except the EGHO.

Let me just expand a little bit on ODUDUWA.
English = Them
Anambra Igbo = Fa
Imo/Abia = Ha
Anioma = Wa

Bear in mind that these activities were happening across the Niger i.e just beyond ANIOMA. So WA becomes the pronoun.
ONYE ODUDU WA = Their leader

BINI itself was coined from the Igbo phrase ILO OBI INU, which basically means THE ROAD/WAY OF (BITTER HEARTS)/ANGER.

The first Oba of Benin was Oba IWEKA, an Nri titled man. OBA is a title in Nri and it doesn't mean KING. Now the IWEKA appendage will usually be an alias.
So obviously he took on an alias that described the inhabitants of Benin (Ilo Obi Inu).
Every Igbo man knows the meaning of IWEKA (IWE means ANGER). For some reason the name has been corrupted to EWEKA.
The SW almajiris have also muscled into the argument by claiming that Bini is the short form for Ile-Ibunu. All these twisting of history has come about because Nri in its heyday, was a pacifist cultural society.

In the past, every Oba of Benin or Attah of Igala must be made an Ozo by Nri priests, as princes before they mount their respective royal stools.

I have heard the Isu, Igwekala, Kamalu e.t.c tales in the past by a prof. from Imo state, but I have never heard my people (The Nris) talk about it, and the deep traditionalists in my clan have never mentioned them, so because of that, and the fact the it is hard to prove, I normally do not bring up that issue, as I will not be able to back the tales up with proofs. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. It simply means I cannot back them up with existing evidence.

4 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:18am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Dishing out lies as usual. All the bolded words are lies, shey you people no dey think before dishing out your unbelievable lies?

What is your obsession with Fulani? Are you afraid of them? You are supporting one to be your president over your kinsmen sad

Igala conquered and dominated igbos then became their priest and control them, they introduced Osu to igbo land. Most of it is in that book I quoted, your history is pitiable and pathetic, no wonder you hide it from the world grin

Which war did Fulani and igbo fight, you think Fulani war is like the village invading that igbos call war? You don't stand a chance bro.

All these igala business is very recent history, There is no trace of any igala throne in northern Igbo land today

2 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:18am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
Tell us how you descended form heaven bound up in chains
That's olden days believe now, even Chinese believe in ying yang theory. Igbos and the Yorubas are indigenous and longest habitant of where they are now.
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
Go to the palace of the Oba of Benin and make inquiries, that should convince you

I just read the coronation of oba Benin, there was no mention of any Nri priest
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Sammy07: 11:22am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This is BS and you know it.

Cc ThatF airGuy, sammy07
. I'm not sure of that ascertion
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Bonesking(m): 11:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Yujin:

Unfortunately, I don't think there's any at the moment. The most prominent of all the Igbo archeologists is Prof. Onwuejeogwu from Anioma. He did excellently well to prove the links between different Igbo clans and show case the beauty of Igbo tradition and historical chronology. Other notable archeologists are Afigbo, Elizabeth Isichei and Caroline Acholonu. These people were rare assets that the Igbo nation have been unable to replace. Till date, most Igbos don't know that there was a pyramid built in Igboland. That heap of slag from Iron smelting I believe is in or around Nsukka and most Igbos youths don't know about it. Since Nigeria has failed us, I think Igbo social study teachers should make it an effort to study these archeological works of those people I mentioned earlier and use their findings to teach our young ones the achievement of our ancestors. This will go a long way to boost their awareness and creativity. We have to be passionate about Igbo nation by researching stuffs ourselves.
Igboland is sitting on untapped archaeological artifacts. The problem with Igbo history is our reliant on limited historians known for copy and paste. Almost all Igbo historians from Isichie etc seem to be following the limitations of Onwuejogwu whose historical basis was Nricententric. And this has led to a big lacuna of our true origin, limiting our origin to cock and bull tales. Even Kenneth Dike who was a recognized historian failed in such novel task, even going as far as ceding Igbo outer lands to other ethnic groups. I think it's time this new generation of Igbo historians, rise up and carry out massive findings, in not just the Igbo heartland but also areas such as Kogi, Benue, Kaduna, Igbanke, Bonny etc. and even collab with the SW, Edos and the Jukuns. Many of us would be shocked to what would be revealed about us.

4 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:23am On Aug 12, 2020
Sammy07:
. I'm not sure of that ascertion

Unbelievable
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Sammy07: 11:25am On Aug 12, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Thanks Obalatule for reeling out those most Igbo of practices that Benin got from the Igbos (Umu-Nri). I'm already aware of most of them except the EGHO.

English = Them
Anambra Igbo = Fa
Imo/Abia = Ha
Anioma = Wa

Bear in mind that these activities were happening across the Niger i.e just beyond ANIOMA. So WA becomes the pronoun.

BINI itself was coined from the Igbo phrase ILO OBI INU, which basically means THE ROAD/WAY OF (BITTER HEARTS)/ANGER.

The first Oba of Benin was Oba IWEKA, an Nri titled man. OBA is a title in Nri and it doesn't mean KING. Now the IWEKA appendage will usually be an alias.
So obviously he took on an alias that described the inhabitants of Benin (Ilo Obi Inu).
Every Igbo man knows the meaning of IWEKA (IWE means ANGER). For some reason the name has been corrupted to EWEKA.
The SW almajiris have also muscled into the argument by claiming that Bini is the short form for Ile-Ibunu. All these twisting of history has come about because Nri in its heyday, was a pacifist cultural society.

In the past, every Oba of Benin or Attah of Igala must be made an Ozo by Nri priests, as princes before they mount their respective royal stools.

I have heard the Isu, Igwekala, Kamalu e.t.c tales in the past by a prof. from Imo state, but I have never heard my people (The Nris) talk about it, and the deep traditionalists in my clan have never mentioned them, so because of that, and the fact the it is hard to prove, I normally do not bring up that issue, as I will not be able to back the tales up with proofs. That doesn't mean it didn't happen. It simply means I cannot back them up with existing evidence.
which kind of lies is this. How can you make claims you cannot prove? .. I think you wanna destroy this thread by including Oduduwa and Yorubas

5 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Sammy07: 11:28am On Aug 12, 2020
Cc....
TheGodlessGod
AreaFada2
Valirex
Etinosa1234
Ghostwon
Davidnazee
Samuk
Sarah20A
Edeyoung
Gregyboy
Onward4life
Chris525
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Dedetwo(m): 11:30am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Ndigbo are not loudmouthed as your forbearers and will never give silly narratives of Igbo people different from what is\are obtained on the ground.
Till today, Igala has no inches of Igbo land or any Igbo land is incorporated under Emirates as Igala land does. Even the stools of rulership in Igala land have been Islamized because it was identity mark of Caliphate which conquered all places and placed them under the Emirates. The Caliphate never had a foot hold in places where they did battle with Akagbe and collective Igbo warriors in Idoma and Igala lands. There was no Oba of Benin who wanted to entangle with Agbor talk less large collective of Igbo warriors beyond Agbor. When Yari.ba peeps were driven out of Oyo Ile, the traces of the wounds littered all the over the places including Oshogbo and Ogbomosho. Offa still remains a total and unconditional testament to the doctrine of Sokoto Caliphate. No such sign was even remotely registered in the smallest village in the northern most outskirts of Igbo land.

5 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by OfoIgbo: 11:30am On Aug 12, 2020
Dedetwo:

How dare you call a historical facts which did not come from the heap of silly propaganda of the so-called Oyo Empire and Benin Empire a lie? When the jackasses you believed their fairytales told you about their silly system of monarchs as against the democratic system which Ndigbo practiced, you were hale and hearty. Today, the same Europeans have abandoned the monarchical crap and embraced the democratic bandwagon.

Ndi Igbo are always light years ahead of them

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:31am On Aug 12, 2020
OfoIgbo:

English = Them
Anambra Igbo = Fa
Imo/Abia = Ha
Anioma = Wa

Exactly, that no one talks about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, like you said it's just hard to prove because there is no substantial existing body of work to build on.......Do you know that as a kid when visiting my village(it's an NRI town) , My grandpa will always say something like "Ejiro Isi nwa Nri agu Aro" meaning they don't use the head of an NRI descendant for igu Aro.....I only understood the meaning when I got older, it was from Bini head hunting and their bloody igue festival of blood...which the Europeans reported about on their visit
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:36am On Aug 12, 2020
Sammy07:
which kind of lies is this. How can you make claims you cannot prove? .. I think you wanna destroy this thread by including Oduduwa and Yorubas
Nobody is destroying anything, Ooni of ife the most respected Yoruba king Made it clear that Igbos were in IFE a long time ago in the past, Oduduwa is a corrupted Igbo name...read up his press release

7 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Sammy07: 11:37am On Aug 12, 2020
Dedetwo:

Ndigbo are not loudmouthed as your forbearers and will never give silly narratives of Igbo people different from what is\are obtained on the ground.
Till today, Igala has no inches of Igbo land

I've you forgotten igalas are indigenous to Anambra state
Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Nobody: 11:38am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

This is nothing but lies, Benin no be una mate for civilization, in the 15th century, Benin was already an empire whereas decentralised Igbos were still scavenging the east in the Bush, no disrespect here.

Trash! Igbos were the ancestors of Igodomingodo. The Ogiso were an offshoot of the Igbo people who began the empire before the rise of the Bini’s. All the Kings of Igodomingodo had Igbo bloodline, from Igodo than to the last Ogiso.

3 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Obalatule: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

That's olden days believe now, even Chinese believe in ying yang theory. Igbos and the Yorubas are indigenous and longest habitant of where they are now.
I laugh when people say Igbos don't know about their history without realising how ancient the Igbo culture and their language is

6 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by OfoIgbo: 11:39am On Aug 12, 2020
Sammy07:

On the contrary

I think it makes sense to tell the Yorubas, how they came about.

I will say something in Igbo, so you can now jili ile gi guo eze gi onu

Ofo kpaa ike, a gwaya osisi esiri pi ya.

Because na
Agwo emero nke ojili bulu agwo, umuazi (ndi ofe mmanu) ewelu ya kebe nku.

5 Likes

Re: How To Unveil And Promote Ancient Igbo Civilisation by Sammy07: 11:40am On Aug 12, 2020
Obalatule:
Nobody is destroying anything, Ooni of ife the most respected Yoruba king Made it clear that Igbos were in IFE a long time ago in the past, Oduduwa is a corrupted Igbo name...read up his press release

Stop saying nonsense Abeq.
Anyone can make claims, and he said that to boost you guys Ego during your festival or so, their is nothing like Igbo in Yoruba land, if there is prove it here let me read it

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (58) (Reply)

Deji Of Akure's Swag Photos At His Son's Wedding / Picture Of A Masquerade Pushing A Biker During Calabar Carnival / Emir Sanusi's Vintage Rolls Royce Spotted At Kaduna Centenary Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.