Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,347 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale (6797 Views)

No Justice In Nigeria - Arrested Cultists Set Free?! / The Bola Ige Murder --Police Admit No Justice -- Wikileaks Revelations! / Selective Justice Is As Bad As No Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by monkeyleg: 2:30pm On Feb 14, 2011
It is so sad, that 50yrs after independence, there is no proper legal system. Please read this mans tale, and understand why we must all start pulling in the right direction. This could have happened to any of us.

Effiong Elemi-Edu, 40, was released from prison in Nigeria last month after spending more than 15 years inside awaiting trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12422681
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by MaJBlige(f): 2:33pm On Feb 14, 2011
Very funny.

In America - how many people languish in jails and killed for a crime they havent committed?

This is yet another ploy to bash Nigeria, right?

What is the difference?

Look here:

http://www.americaswrongfullyconvicted.com/
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by monkeyleg: 2:40pm On Feb 14, 2011
How can this be a ploy to Bash Nigeria? People like you make me wonder.

The extra judicial killings in Nigeria is very high, the lack of justice is mind boggling, rather than raising the issue as one which should be looked into, you are here talking rubbish.

You wait till you are falsely accused and locked up for 15yrs for no reason.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by MaJBlige(f): 2:44pm On Feb 14, 2011
Dont shout. Relax.

What I mean is, worse happens else where. You can bash Nigeria from now till tomorrow. I will not stop you, MonkeyLeg.

LOL.

There is no "proper" judicial system anywhere. Noone is saying Naija is perfect, but, hey - worse happens elsewhere.

Monkey.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:02pm On Feb 14, 2011
the mary j blige imitator is obviously a pampered child of some government officials , who knows she and those dear to her will NEVER be at the receiving end of the antic of our men in black or our justice system; thats why she can talk such nonsense

telling us the same goes on in the us. what a hypocrite. then stop getting upset when we thrash the incompetent in aso rock. worse has happened to obama.

cherry picking hypocrite
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 14, 2011
Ma_J_Blige

Because your neighbour's roof leaks more than your own, nobody should tell you that your roof is leaking.

very sound logic.

I hope you have GOODLUCK in mending that roof
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:09pm On Feb 14, 2011
this is what this disgrace to humanity is defending.  angry angry angry angry

Effiong Elemi-Edu, 40, was released from prison in Nigeria last month after spending more than 15 years inside awaiting trial.

He was newly married and working in a plastic manufacturing firm when he was rounded up by police in Lagos in November 1995, the month after the murder of pro-democracy activist Alfred Rewane. His brutal killing has been linked to the government of former military ruler Sani Abacha.

Mr Elemi-Edu told the BBC about his arrest and how he was largely forgotten in the justice system even though military rule ended in 1999.
Effiong Elemi-Edu's testimony

I was shot in my left leg shortly after my arrest. We were all tortured and beaten”

I left my house to buy some suya (grilled meat) for dinner when I heard repeated gunshots. So I ran to a drain ditch to take cover - and when the shooting died down I wanted to rush to my residence.

On my way I heard a voice shouting: "Stop there, stop there!" I had to stop. "Who are you?"

I explained myself to the armed police, but before I knew what was happening, they were saying I was an armed robber and I was already in their vehicle.

Then they drove me down to Sars [Special Anti-Robbery Squad] - it wasn't only me. I saw a lot of people inside and they were all arrested.

I'd never been to the Sars detention camp before. I was handcuffed and asked to sit down under the fruit tree and before I knew it, a man came and took me to "theatre".

I didn't know what "the theatre" was - I thought I was going for an operation. At the "theatre" I was asked to lie down flat, face on the ground, my hands up and they chained me with rubber twine and then suspended me from my legs.

They were asking me if I knew the incident that happened to Pa Rewane and I said I didn't know what they were talking about.

"I have never robbed, I've never stolen in my life - I don't know what you're talking about," I said.

* 6 October 1995: Alfred Rewane is murdered
   * 11 November 1995: Effiong Elemi-Edu is arrested
   * January 1996: Effiong Elemi-Edu is forced to sign a statement; accused of Rewane's urder
   * June 1998: Military ruler Sani Abacha dies
   * May 1999: Military rule ends with elections
   * January 2011: Effiong Elemi-Edu is freed after a judge rules on lack of evidence. His co-accused Lucky Igbinovia is freed too. Their fellow survivor Elvis Iremuna was released a few months earlier

* On patrol with Nigeria's police
   * Corpses and denials
   * Nigeria's vigilante 'jungle justice'

I had never met him, and there was no way for me to get in touch with people.

I wasn't able to ask for a lawyer, my family weren't even allowed to get close to me. When they came looking for us, they drove them away and started insulting them.

About 50 of us had been arrested but seven of us were eventually charged with the murder of Pa Rewane.

I was shot in my left leg shortly after my arrest. We were all tortured and beaten.

And when I refused to recopy a statement that the police wrote with my handwriting, I received the same torture - I was punched with blows to my left ear which filled up with blood.

I was almost at the point of death so I did what they asked me.

Four of the others died while in detention in 1996 because of the torture. Only three of us have been released.
Basketball dreams
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

My wife gave up and got married to another man”

End Quote

God alone knows why he kept me alive. I had it at the back of my mind that God would rescue me one day.

Life in jail was a hell. Not hearing from your people. During the whole process I lost my mother. She died the month after my detention of a heart attack.

My wife gave up and got married to another man.

I was always very sad. It was very painful, there was nothing you could do but look at the four corners of the prisons 24 hours a day.

Then there was the tribunal time - it was no joke back and forth in the Black Maria (police van).

There were 50 appearances before military tribunals - and between 200 to 250 adjournments in court. No trial ever got under way. You become so tired.
Continue reading the main story
Alfred Rewane

* Prominent pro-democracy activist critical of military ruler Sani Abacha
   * Killed in his home on 6 October 1995
   * Gunmen pulled into his compound in a van marked with the logo of one of his companies
   * Staff and security overpowered and locked up
   * Rewane shot dead in the chest in his bedroom
   * His killers are yet to be found

When the ruling was made for my release last month I felt like cold water was poured on me. I give glory to God.

I am now living with a younger cousin in Lagos. I am trying to locate my other family members and will soon travel to my village in Cross River State. I intend to visit the site of my mother's grave.

My life has just been wasted like that but God has a purpose for it.

I had dreamt of becoming a basketball player - because of my six-feet-four-inches height my school mates nicked me "The Dream" after Hakeem Olajuwon [a professional Nigerian player in the US].

Coming back to society is not that easy. I'm calling on government that they should do something because presently now I don't know where I will start from.

I don't have anything. I've lost many things.

this is what this Arrow is telling us 'goes on in the rest of the world'

15 years of the life of an honest citizen wasted by some good for nothing cursed men in black
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 14, 2011
bermuda1:

Ma_J_Blige

Because your neighbour's roof leaks more than your own, nobody should tell you that your roof is leaking.

very sound logic.

I hope you have GOODLUCK in mending that roof

more like forget that i have a log in my eye - my neighbour has a speck in his
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:14pm On Feb 14, 2011
My wife gave up and got married to another man
sad sad sad sad sad
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by monkeyleg: 3:29pm On Feb 14, 2011
oyb:

sad sad sad sad sad

My Brother, the entire story is really sad. It brought tears to my eyes. This can easyly happen to anyone.

I recount my own story, when I was held by the men in black, because I was taking a old electric cooker to my mum. I remember buying thing thing for about 2000 Naira, and just couldnt find the receipt. Anyway, It quickly decended to a situation were myself and the taxi I was in was taken to the Surulere police station. The guys were adamant that we were in for it today, no amount of begging or offer to go find the receipt was accepted. Even a call to my Bro to find the receipt was refused. You cannot imagine the awful things that went through my mind, including the stories of innocent people killed and wrongly framed as thieves. Anyway after parting with 13K we were allowed to go

But, you see, that is the Nigeria we all live in. This mans story can easily happen to you and I
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:50pm On Feb 14, 2011
december 31 2008, police in festac had a mandate to organise money for their ogas.

they went around rounding up people for wandering, selling banger etc.

my 13 year old cousin was among them. there were at least 20 'criminals' in the station. we had to negotiate with them. we eventually paid 4 or 5k.

if i had not had the money, or if there was no gsm to contact me, who knows what those bastads would have done to her

and some twats will lie that this happens abroad
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Nobody: 3:53pm On Feb 14, 2011
@oyb sorry bros. I hope they gave u receipt 4 d bail , so they wouldnt  accuse u of jail break when nxt they see u.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by ayubam: 3:56pm On Feb 14, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Very funny.

In America - how many people languish in jails and killed for a crime they havent committed?

What is the difference?

Look here:

Ma_J_Blige:

Dont shout. Relax.

What I mean is, worse happens else where. You can bash Nigeria from now till tomorrow. I will not stop you, MonkeyLeg.

LOL.

There is no "proper" judicial system anywhere. Noone is saying Naija is perfect, but, hey - worse happens elsewhere.

Monkey.

@Mary J Blige, we had this intense arguments some times ago and we handled it maturely. I am however taken aback with most of your comments. Having being among the privileged few, should you not be bordered with the feelings of less privileged?
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by ideylaff: 3:57pm On Feb 14, 2011
Very funny.

What is the difference?

Look here:

@ Ma_J_Blige  grin Hmmmm Very typical of us, do you have to make your point by taking us on a journey to the US, why do we always do this, "it happens abroad also to make/buttress our point", most especially in anything bad, The compensation the US will pay the person in question will surely be a lot compared to the 9ija person who will be told go home empty handed how about that, I lie
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by DeeJay20: 3:58pm On Feb 14, 2011
oyb:

the mary j blige imitator is obviously a pampered child of some government officials , who knows she and those dear to her will NEVER be at the receiving end of the antic of our men in black or our justice system; thats why she can talk such nonsense

telling us the same goes on in the us. what a hypocrite. then stop getting upset when we thrash the incompetent in aso rock. worse has happened to obama.

cherry picking hypocrite

u notice how her stupid post keep on making the front page
headlines of NL, Hmmm i am wondering hmmmm
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by DisGuy: 4:05pm On Feb 14, 2011
This is awful, most people that dont encounter things like these are quick to say how wonderful this country is, people's lives can be turned upside down over made up charges and they still wont get trail, can you imagine 200 adjournments?

January 2011: Effiong Elemi-Edu is freed after a judge rules on lack of evidence. His co-accused Lucky Igbinovia is freed too. Their fellow survivor Elvis Iremuna was released a few months earlier

isn't there a provision to compensate people that have been wrongly accused and incarcerated by the police?
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by ideylaff: 4:09pm On Feb 14, 2011
Another irritating one is when they say Nija is only 50 years old and it took America 100 years to get it right, sad

Why dont we emulate Indonesia and co who got independence about the same time as us and are now light years ahead of us in terms of development,

Shiooooo, Issssh,

Na so I see Rep Dimeji Bankole the other day dey answer a poor girl who only asked why MMA looks so unpresentable as soon as you step outside and also full of Touts, /she nearly got robbed,

Bankola answered by saying I've seen worse airports in 1st world countires,  and also saying u can get mugged in Brixton or at JFK NewYork, 

WHAT AN ed EEEE ot grin
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by tyson55(m): 4:17pm On Feb 14, 2011
@M_J_ Blige- Did you even took your time to read the subject matter? I 'm begining to wonder why you always respond in a psychotic haste. You want to compare what this young man went through with the fella in the US.

As a matter of fact the guy in the US wasn't dehumanise like that of his counterpart in Nigeria and at end of the day, he will seek redress for wrongful imprisonment in a civil court and he 'll be well compensated.

But for the dude in 9ja, that wouldn't be the case, as we all know.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by ideylaff: 4:21pm On Feb 14, 2011
Thanks @ tyson55 jare, True tALK,

u still dey box.?.we no see u 4 ring lately oooo smiley
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Kilode1: 5:04pm On Feb 14, 2011
Ma_J_Blige:

Dont shout. Relax.

LOL.

Monkey.

I agree with you, they all need to relax and stop shouting.

My Sister, don't let all these people bother you jare.

They complain about everything because their daddies are poor.

I mean, why should we fix our small small problems when there are people with bigger or similar problems all around us.

All these little little whiners on NL are angry because they are not connected or rich, did I mention that their daddy's ain't rich too? especially that oyb. angry

Kini big deal about some poor man in jail for 15 years without trial? Ignore them jare.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by stagger: 5:11pm On Feb 14, 2011
This is why Al-Mustapha and his cohorts should spend at least 20 more years behind bars awaiting trial.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by naijaking1: 5:16pm On Feb 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

I mean, why should we fix our small small problems when there are people with bigger or similar problems all around us.

All these little little whiners on NL are angry because they are not connected or rich, did I mention that their daddy's ain't rich too? especially that oyb. angry

Kini big deal about some poor man in jail for 15 years without trial? Ignore them jare.

Hilarious grin grin grin

This sad story is not about rich vs poor, Nigeria vs USA, north vs south; it about a human being. It's a human story embarassed
Nigeria is not officially a police state, but stories like this makes one understand that really and trul, we're in a police state.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by tyson55(m): 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2011
Thanks @ tyson55 jare,  True tALK,

u still dey box.?.we no see u 4 ring lately oooo  

@ideylaff - Thanks jare!.

I don retire long time, as you know. cool  Only say i dey small broke, no money. tongue i won enter hollywood make dem  put me for small action film to make small pay.  grin grin grin
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Blazing99: 5:25pm On Feb 14, 2011
@ Kilode and Mary_J.

Better pray and hope everyday that you do not become victims of the poor justice system in Nigeria. Cos if you do and come out alive, you'd be suffering from Naijaphobia.
Did you know that police secretly execute accused armed robbers without giving them proper trials. Do you know how many people have being wrongly framed and are serving jail terms for things they dont know about. We know injustice exists everywhere in the world but the system in Nigeria permeates worse. We obviously need a change, lets face it, this nation has few things to be proud of
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by otheloze: 5:28pm On Feb 14, 2011
ideylaff
My  broda na so i visit naija last year with my wife who happens to be an Asian, my brother na so i de shame, all d roof for de hall way don break and to top it all NEPA do their thing, Men i was so shamed after much mouth making about naija. I beg we should try and emulate positive developments and stop defending our failures by comparing with others
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by Kilode1: 5:33pm On Feb 14, 2011
Blazing99:

@ Kilode and Mary_J.

Better pray and hope everyday that you do not become victims of the poor justice system in Nigeria. Cos if you do and come out alive, you'd be suffering from Naijaphobia.
Did you know that police secretly execute accused armed robbers without giving them proper trials. Do you know how many people have being wrongly framed and are serving jail terms for things they dont know about.   We know injustice exists everywhere in the world but the system in Nigeria permeates worse. We obviously need a change, lets face it, this nation has few things to be proud of

Impossible!!! we don't do that in Naija, well, except to poor useless people with no long legs, Stop whining jare, grow long leg.

I'm sorry my sarcasm flew over you, but I will take it as a compliment though cool
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by wesley80(m): 5:33pm On Feb 14, 2011
U all are just hating a sista 4 being smarter than u all. No doubt this is a sad tale, But judging by the antecedents of the OP, we all have a pretty good idea as to the direction his argument would go, Its just a case of your reputation going ahead of u. So IMO a pre-emptive strike is in order.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by MaJBlige(f): 5:35pm On Feb 14, 2011
oyb:

this is what this disgrace to humanity is defending.  angry angry angry angry

this is what this Arrow is telling us 'goes on in the rest of the world'

15 years of the life of an honest citizen wasted by some good for nothing cursed men in black

Bingo - there are bones in my dust bin if you want to eat.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by hackney(m): 5:37pm On Feb 14, 2011
If hell is truly on earth,then nigeria is surely one of the chambers.
absolutely nothing works but people are so used to the suffering for the simplest things that
they actually enjoy it.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME JUST ONE THING THAT WORKS ALL THE TIME  IN NIGERIA ; JUST ONE.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by nvo5(f): 5:39pm On Feb 14, 2011
Kilode?!:

what a poor mind set, even a child of 5years will not reason the
way you do.
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by ideylaff: 5:41pm On Feb 14, 2011
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME JUST ONE THING THAT WORKS ALL THE TIME IN NIGERIA ; JUST ONE.

Abi oooo, Thank you jare my broda or na sista, , the only thing that works is
Re: A Country With No Justice - Read This Man's Tale by poweredcom(m): 5:42pm On Feb 14, 2011
Very funny.

What is the difference?

Look here:

WAT THE Bleep, NIGERIA IS THE WORST OF INJUSTICE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Am Not A Gunrunner – Minister Of Interior Abba Moro / Gov. Nyesom Wike And Kenny Blaq Rumoured To Be Cultists (pix) / Jubilation!! Presidency Nominates Two Qualified Igbo Senators To Replace Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.