Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn (70892 Views)

Nigerian Custom Service Salary Structure / Nigerian Police Salary Structure – How NPF Pay Officers / Nigerian Public Service Salary Structures? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by opeyemi2012(m): 10:11pm On Aug 12, 2020
I promised to create this thread because I noticed that a lot of nairalanders have wrong perceptions of what workers in "core civil service" really earn monthly.

Civil servants vs Public servants

According to the then Head of Service of the Federation in 2018, Ms Winifred Oyo-Ita.....

Oyo-Ita, who is a member of the minimum wage committee constituted by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2017, said there is ongoing deliberation on the pay disparity between the public and civil servants.

“There is a difference between civil service and public service, civil service is a subset of public service, so you find that in the enlarged public service we have parastatals that are earning fantastic sum of money and we have military and para-military earning money that cannot be compared to that of the civil servants.

“This core group of civil servants are just about 80,000 and they earn peanuts. A driver in the civil service earn as low as N18,000 to N20,000 a month.

“You have a director who has been in the Service for over 30 years, due for retirement is having a monthly take home of about N300,000, whereas that is the starting point of some graduates in some parastatals.

“In some parastatals, fresh graduates are starting on N250,000 – N300,000 and you want the director to go and supervise such agencies.

“All the issues of pay disparity will be addressed in the Presidential National Minimum Wage committee.”

https://thewhistler.ng/fg-to-address-pay-disparity-between-civil-and-public-servants-oyo-ita/amp/

Sadly, these issues were not addressed.

https://theeagleonline.com.ng/remedy-huge-salary-disparity-in-core-civil-service-labour-urges-fg-2/

Categories of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs)

BY STATUTORY FUNCTIONS
a. Ministries/Core civil service: The Ministries play a supervisory role to the parastatals. The Ministries are headed by Ministers. The head of service is the most senior civil servant.
b. Parastatals (agencies and departments): usually under a Federal Ministry or under the office of the SGF i.e Presidency.
They have more precise functions according to the Acts that created them. These are headed by DGs, EVC (as with NCC), Director (as with DPR), CFI (as with NAICOM), GMD (as with NNPC), ES (as with PEF, TETFUND) CEO (as with NEPC, NIDCOM), etc

BY SALARY STRUCTURE
a. Harmonised salary structure funded by National Treasury: These includes all Ministries and most parastatals (agencies/departments/institutes etc) whose annual budget including salaries and allowances are funded from the National Treasury. You will always find their budget estimates in the annual national budget.

MDAs in this category uses salary structures like;

CONTISS
CONUASS - for academic staff of universities
CONPSS - for core civil service/ministries. Also the poorest
CONPASS - for paramilitary agencies
CONAFSS - for armed forces
CONMESS - for medical doctors
CONHESS - for health workers
CONTOPSAL -for top officials like NASS Clerk, SAs to the President, NSA etc
CONTEDISS
CONRAISS - for research agencies/institutes
CONPOSS - for police
CONPCASS - for polytechnics and CoE
CONICSS - for intelligence community i.e DSS
etc E many gan ooooo. grin

b. Special Salary Structure funded by National Treasury: These group enjoy a special salary structure (most times 4-10 times higher) than the CONPSS (the poorest salary structure). However, they are funded from the National Treasury and are included in the national budget. e.g NEITI, NARSDA, BPE, DMO, BPP, EFCC, NIGCOMSAT, ICRC, SEC, DPR etc.

c. Self-funded agencies: Agencies under this category are revenue generating agencies. They fund themselves and therefore determine their own salary structures. NNPC, CBN, NPA, NIMASA, FAAN, NAMA, BOI, FMBN, NCC, PHCN, FIRS etc fall under this category.

BY UNOFFICIAL CATEGORISATION
On the street, among lawmakers during unofficial discussions and among job seekers, we have;

a. GRADE A/JUICY AGENCIES: Agencies that oay 200k and above monthly. Also revenue generating agencies fall into this category. For the lawmakers, these agencies have the capacity to give out mouth watering contracts. NCC, DPR, NDIC, NIMASA, PPPRA, PEF, etc

b. GRADE B AGENCIES: Agencies that pay between 80k -150k but below 200k. NACA, NHIS, NLN, most paramilitary agencies, FAAN, NABDA, NAIC etc. Most agencies fall under this category.

b. GRADE C: Agencies that pay below 80k. All ministries are also included here with the exception of Petroleum Resources, Justice and one other I cannot immediately remember. NIPOST, NIMC, and few other parastatals fall under this category.

Having said that, a level 08 officer (BSc holder) in the core civil service (Ministries and grade C agencies using the CONPSS) earn below 60k monthly as net pay. Level 09 (MSc holders at entry level) earns below 70k/monthly and PhD holders at entry level (level 10) earns below 80k monthly.

An BSc entry level staff at DPR or PPPRA (SS6 is what they call level cool will earn more monthly than a senior lecturer with over 5 years post PhD teaching experience in a federal university. If ASUU finally joins IPPIS, a Professor will earn less than an entry level BSc holder at NLNG, PPPRA or DPR.

Attached are July 2020 payslips of some civil servants in a federal agency but using CONPSS (same as the Ministries).

PS: I won't entertain any questions. I don't have any connections. I don't sell job slots. I work in a grade B and seeking to move to a grade A. No PMs please. Thank you

@allthingsgood. I promised to quote you.

73 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by insperyadyou: 12:28am On Aug 13, 2020
where is the attachment

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by kingsoncj: 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2020
Nawa.. Oooo
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Drvade(m): 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2020
Tell these siful safants to click my signature and earn better monthly.

Government bondage!

7 Likes

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by paulolee(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
nice post..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Artiiclebeast: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
Just see how everything is haphazard and you expect there not to be corruption and ineptitude in the system?

Where workers are unmotivated, they'd give below par in the discharge of their duties and motivate themselves by corrupt means.

How do you expect a civil servant who even earns 100k with a family of 3 kids to survive without soiling his/her hands to make ends meet when a 2 bedroom apartment, for instance, goes for as high as 800k to 1m Naira in Abuja for instance.

I keep saying it that to get this country back on track, we the youths need to get together, bring to the table our 21st-century ideas, sack these failed analog rogues, uninstall the present operating system of the country, and reinstall a more modern version of the operating system with an incorruptible and fire-wall proof anti-virus/corruption system.
See my signature for an idea.

87 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
9. Polithiefcians shocked shocked

Governors: 300,000,000 per month
Ministers: 500,000,000 per month
Senators: 700,000,000 per month

EFCC Chairman: 5,000,000,000 per month
Minister of Petroleum: 10,000,000,000 per month

: Teachers: 7,000 per month

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Sammy07: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
Nice info tho

I prefer working in agencies than ministries tho cool
Benefits are more in agencies than ministries

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Amspecial: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
wink
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by babzo(m): 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
We are waiting for the attachment. And 2 big questions:
1) What work do they really do? When the Federal Secretariat used to be in Lagos near 1004; you will see hundreds of civil servants standing outside and talking for hours.
2) The money they steal and collect as bribes is it not in billions? As I don't see how the top guy earns 300k per month as you said yet sponsors his child's wedding in Dubai and has 5 multi million naira cars.

37 Likes

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Jackyboy: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
grin grin grin
How Much wey civil servant agbero dey collect
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Slawormir: 1:17pm On Aug 13, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by SpatialKing(m): 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
Interesting
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Shellsploit: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
Where do Nairaland moderators belong to sef?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by davodyguy: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
Self funded gibiti

They pay themselves what they want
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Rilwayne001: 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
No wonder ASUU aren't ready to join the IPPS stuff

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by dalass(f): 1:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
grin
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Deborah98(f): 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2020
Ok
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by AngelicBeing: 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2020
angry
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by seunlayi(m): 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2020
Nothing is worth dying for in Nigeria everything is just scam in 9ja that is why I prefer to die serving God. I prefer Him to scam me than this country but I have the blessed assurance that He will never fail me

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by MrPsalmist(m): 1:19pm On Aug 13, 2020
Hustle and don't just depend on this chicken change.

Salary is what they pay you to forget your dreams

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by tobenuel(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
I couldn't comprehend anything up there
I kept rolling my eyes

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Rowlandjude(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
Missing something,
What of Nairaland mods salary structure?

7 Likes

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by chukel(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
If this is true, then very informative. The disparity is just too glaring. The injustice is unquantifiable. If FG is sincere, everyone should be migrated to ippis.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by jabberjawz: 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
Salary is really poor, no wonder Nigerian civil servants always look 4 egunjé.....left, right & center. Thats not even up to a cleaners salary in my home country.... tongue

1 Like

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Regardless: 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
Mehn.. Wish someone can help me out.
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by InvertedHammer: 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
/
Nigeria is a nation of acronyms.

/

2 Likes

Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by victor4ekele(m): 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
most employment opportunity are given to the cabals
Re: Civil Service, Public Service, Salary Structure & What Civil Servants Earn by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 13, 2020
I swear ion know say civil servant is different from public servant

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Bayelsa Female Welder, Faith Lesley, Buys A Car As Birthday Gift / Nigerian Army Reduces Academic Requirement To Woo More Citizens Into Joining / I Resigned After Receiving My Salary: Help, Am I In Trouble?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.