Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires (29040 Views)

David Beckham Retires From Football / Alex Ferguson Retires As Manchester United Manager / John Terry Retires From International Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by harmeenut: 6:36pm On Feb 14, 2011
Three-time FIFA World Player of the Year Ronaldo has confirmed his retirement from football.

The 34-year-old, who has enjoyed a glittering career in Spain, Holland, Italy and Brazil, made the announcement in his homeland.

"As you can imagine and you heard during the whole weekend, I'm here today to [confirm] I'm closing my career as a professional player," Ronaldo told a press conference this afternoon.

In an earlier interview with Brazilian newspaper O Estado de S. Paulo, Ronaldo revealed that his long career and succession of serious injuries had finally taken their toll on his body.

"I want to stay but I can't. I think of a move, but I can't perform it as I want to. It's time.

"My body aches. The head wants to continue, but the body can't take much more."

Ronaldo had been expected to see out the season with current club Corinthians and retire in July but the club's early elimination from the Copa Libertadores at the hands of Deportes Tolima a fortnight ago is believed to have persuaded him to call time on his career ahead of schedule.

Earlier an emotional Ronaldo had been seen visiting his team-mates at Corinthians' training ground, where he spoke briefly before leaving to confirm his retirement to the world's media.

"I thanked all the players, the coach Tite, for all the minutes, for every second I was with them," added Ronaldo, who was flanked at the press conference by his sons Ronald and Alex, and Corinthians' president Andres Sanchez.

"It was a very beautiful career, wonderful and exciting.

"[There were] a lot of defeats and a lot of victories. I made a lot of friends, and I can't recall any enemies.

"I'm ending my career due to some very important reasons."

Asked what he would now do with his time, he added: "I have my future well organised.

"I will work for my company, I have to put a lot of dedication into that."

Ronaldo first moved to Europe as a 17-year-old in 1994 when he joined PSV Eindhoven from Cruzeiro.

A prolific scorer in the Eredivisie, he joined Barcelona despite knee problems which blighted him in his second season in Holland, going on to achieve record-breaking success in Spain.

He spent just a year at Barca, scoring 47 goals in 49 games and becoming the youngest player ever to win the FIFA World Player of the Year award, before contract wrangles saw him join Inter Milan for a then world-record fee of £19million.

His success continued at Inter, then Barca's great rivals Real Madrid, though injury problems hindered his time in Italy.

Ronaldo joined AC Milan in 2007 but after suffering a third serious knee injury he returned to Brazil in 2009.

He will perhaps be best remembered for his international exploits, having scored a record 15 World Cup goals. He scored eight in the 2002 tournament in Japan and South Korea alone, including both goals in the 2-0 final victory over Germany.

In total, he scored 62 times for the Brazilian national team in 97 appearances between 1994 and 2006.

His record at club level was equally eye-catching, with 352 strikes in 515 appearances.

Ronaldo Factfile

1976: Born Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima, September 22 in Bento Ribeiro, Rio de Janeiro.

1990: Signs his first professional contract with Brazilian minnows Social Ramos.

1991: Joins Sao Cristovao where he scores 35 goals in 54 games.

1993: Moves to Brazilian top-flight club Cruzeiro and nets 58 goals in 60 games.

1994: March - makes international debut in the 2-1 win over South American rivals Argentina.

Part of the Brazil squad that wins World Cup in the United States, although he does not feature.

Joins Dutch side PSV Eindhoven for £4million, scoring three goals in the opening two games.

1995: Finishes season as the Eredivisie's top scorer with 30 goals.

1996: Named FIFA World Footballer of the Year.

Joins Spanish side Barcelona for £10million after scoring 42 in 43 league games for PSV.

1997: Wins FIFA World Footballer of the Year award again, becoming the only player to win the award in two successive seasons, named European Footballer of the Year by France Football and wins European Cup-Winners Cup in tense final against former club PSV.

Joins Italian giants Inter Milan for £19million after scoring 34 goals in 37 league games for Barca.

1998: Scores in Inter's 3-0 win over Lazio in the UEFA Cup final and finishes the season with 34 goals in 47 games.

July - Suffers from mysterious illness just hours before Brazil's World Cup final clash against France in Paris. A clearly-shaken Ronaldo plays regardless, as a below-par Brazil side lose 3-0 to the hosts.

September - Suffers knee injury which restricts him to only a handful of appearances over the next four years.

2002: June - Scores both goals in the World Cup final as Brazil beat Germany 2-0. Also tournament's top scorer with eight goals.

August 31 - Ronaldo signs for Real Madrid, barely an hour before transfer window closes.

December 16 - Named winner of European Football of the Year award for the second time. Becomes first player to win FIFA World Player of the Year on three occasions.

2003: April 23 - Scores hat-trick in Real's Champions League quarter-final second leg with Manchester United at Old Trafford. Real lose 4-3 on the night but go through to set up a semi-final against Juventus, which they lose.

2004: March - Agrees two-year contract extension with Real.

2006 - Despite being criticised for his conditioning, Ronaldo scores three goals at the World Cup finals in Germany to break Gerd Muller's finals scoring record. Brazil are eliminated by France in the quarter-finals.

2007: January - Joins Serie A giants AC Milan on 18-month contract after falling out of favour with Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello.

February - Scores two and sets one up in his first start for Milan, a 4-3 win over Siena.

2008: February - Suffers the third serious knee injury of his career. He goes on to be released when his contract expires in the summer without playing another game.

December - Signs for Corinthians.

2009: Helps his new side win the Copa do Brasil and a place in the Copa Libertadores.

2011: February 14 - Announces his retirement from football.

http://football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_6751399,00.html
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by duduspace(m): 7:07pm On Feb 14, 2011
Magnificent player, unplayable at his peak
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by bgees(m): 7:20pm On Feb 14, 2011
The greatest striker of all time.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by chic2pimp(m): 9:37pm On Feb 14, 2011
O FENOMENOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Farewell Man!!!
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by MrTA(m): 9:00am On Feb 15, 2011
bgees:

The greatest striker of all time.

This. He was simply phenomenal. My favourite striker of all time.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Arabambi1: 10:22am On Feb 15, 2011
I have not seen any defender or goalkeeper who didnt dread being in the opposite team. Ask Oliver Kahn in Final of OWrld Cup against Brazil
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by igbalajobi: 10:24am On Feb 15, 2011
The best striker I've ever seen. He had it all, explosive pace, the power to shrug defenders off, fantastic dribbling skills, and could score a goal with his left, right or head
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by medjai(m): 11:01am On Feb 15, 2011
One of the G.O.A.T. The football world appreciates everything you've given to the game. We'll miss you
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Jencejyde(m): 11:34am On Feb 15, 2011
i had to just comment on this one

Ronaldo (aka Ko si omo na, Phenomenom!!) ha I duff my hat.

The inspiration for those of us who watched you playing while growing up.

The best striker ever with his back to goal(not even pelewas that good with his back to goal)

Still can't beleive it's over, like they say all good things must come to and end.

Football lovers,critiques,analysts,players,fans all over will surely miss you not playing the game anymore, it was a long time comming but we knew it would happen one day.

Much respect!
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by ideylaff: 11:58am On Feb 15, 2011
A proper footballer in every way shape or form in his days.

Goodluck and thanks for the good memories

smiley
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by sylve11: 12:27pm On Feb 15, 2011
King of soccer! thanks 4 ur entertainment! cry cool
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by ddippset(m): 1:07pm On Feb 15, 2011
farewell to the REAL RONALDO. retire as you have left your legendary.  never mind some IMPERSONATOR,  who should be stripped off your name.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by seedord247(m): 1:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
1000 years to come you still be remember, you are such a great legend.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by hbrednic: 1:47pm On Feb 15, 2011
thank u RONALDO
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by harmeenut: 1:52pm On Feb 15, 2011
I watched the press conference and he was so emotional; almost crying - he kind of feeling he still wants to do more of football but his legs are refusing to follow his heart.
We adore you Ronaldo especially your eji (tooth-gap), wink wink wink
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by 1988: 1:56pm On Feb 15, 2011
adieu ronaldo. we will NEVER forget.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Kc0022000(m): 2:01pm On Feb 15, 2011
Nigerian old chicken should follow suit, Yakubu and co
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by hackney(m): 2:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
The most prolific forward that ever was.
The 18 yard box will always miss you.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Seun(m): 2:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
Best striker ever, in my opinion too.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by toback: 2:34pm On Feb 15, 2011
RONALDO the best player of our time!!!!!! thanks for all the joy!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by alfchye(m): 2:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
There has been nobody like u and it will take lot of years to get someone who will be better than u, we will all miss u, It is good u retired well
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by sunny3kng(m): 2:55pm On Feb 15, 2011
Definatly the greatest R9
Still baffles me why he never won the UEFA Champs league tho
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Stevo30: 3:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
I doff my hat for the greatest striker of my generation. The real Ronaldo
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by lawrence83: 3:23pm On Feb 15, 2011
El fenomeno, the greatest finisher of all time.

painful you didn't win the champions league trophy.

ROnaldo pichichi
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by AjanleKoko: 3:50pm On Feb 15, 2011
Surprisingly the guy never won UEFA Champions League sha.

But not to take anything away from him. He's the greatest player of his generation, clearly. He made opposition weep, any time.
And his lovable teeth . . . grin . . . unforgettable. Obrigado!
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by abiop: 4:14pm On Feb 15, 2011
I can't forget that his hair style during the final in Japan/South Korea. That year was a great comeback for him despite being written off and having not played frequently, but the Coach believed so much in him and it paid off emerging the highest goal scorer
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by Reference(m): 4:18pm On Feb 15, 2011
Yeah, he was a legend. So taken for granted that the Brazilian attack has never been quite the same ever since. Just like the retirement of Yekini, he has left such a vacumn up front it may take another generation to fill. Both club and country he played for the best and was always at his best.

Pity the injuries though. If you played these days with the 'touch me not' standards of refreeing in the reformed game, you may have lasted longer. But that's the price you pay for being the 'Phenom'.

I doff my hat. We will miss you. Cheers and happy retirement.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by harmeenut: 4:22pm On Feb 15, 2011
[img]http://[img]http://[/img][/img]

1 Share

Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by mystikal(m): 4:33pm On Feb 15, 2011
Top top player
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by folahann(m): 4:38pm On Feb 15, 2011
There is a mistake in his name, he should be called Ronalgoal. A typical natural finisher, the game will miss you.
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Feb 15, 2011
Ronaldo Luiz Nazario de Lima

One of the pillars of modern football
Re: Brazilian Great Ronaldo (d Real Ronaldo)retires by yesboss20(m): 5:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
 Yes. Pichichi is the greatest footballer I have seen. The guy was so good, a phenomenon as earlier stated.
The most clinical finisher of all time.
We will definitely miss you. Do have a great post-football life.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Manchester City Vs Arsenal At (3 - 1) Live / Arsenal Vs Tottenham Hotspur (3 - 1) On 1st October 2022 / Man Utd Vs Arsenal: The Die Is Cast!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.