Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) (2100 Views)

Man Beaten For Peeping At Couple In Bed / Discipline: Funny Things Kids Were Beaten For Back In The Days / I Kept My Wife’s Corpse In A Room For Three Months Hoping She Would Wake Up –edw (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by lovejo(m): 10:57pm On Feb 14, 2011
A church pastor is facing jail after trafficking children into Britain and keeping them as servants in her home in a case described as "modern day slavery", it can be revealed today.

Lucy Adeniji, 44, smuggled two children and a 21-year-old woman into Britain from Nigeria on false passports claiming they were her own.

With disturbing echoes of the Victoria Climbié tragedy, the Nigerian, an illegal immigrant and mother of five, promised the children's parents she would give them a better life in the UK, but instead delivered vicious beatings if they failed to please her.

The alarm was raised when the older "servant" ran from Adeniji's Barking home in just a towel after being beaten and forced to strip and kneel down.

Adeniji, who has written a series of books on child care, was convicted of assault, child cruelty and facilitating illegal entry into the UK of a child.

She also admitted six counts of obtaining false passports for herself and her own children and two counts of facilitating illegal entry.

Detectives from the Met's Operation Paladin squad which tackles child trafficking say the case highlights growing concern over children brought to Britain for domestic servitude or benefit fraud.

Adeniji faces a separate inquiry into thousands of pounds she claimed in benefits for her own children.

Two of her "servants" gave evidence against her at Isleworth crown court.

A jury heard how Adeniji took Olubukols 'Buki' Adeniji into her five bedroom home in Ray Gardens, Barking, after she was brought into the country aged 11 from Nigeria on a false passport.

Buki, who arrived in 1997, was supposed to be continuing her education in Britain but was never sent to school and was forced to wait on Adeniji's own children. Her day started at 5am and she was not allowed to bed until 1am.

She was regularly beaten, prosecutor Tim Starkey said, and on one occasion pepper was put in her eyes and focal places as punishment and she was struck with a meat cleaver.

Adeniji also brought Solomon Ordu, who arrived when he was 15 in 2000, and Dorcus Amoo, who was 21, when she arrived, into the UK on false passports. Both were kept as house workers and routinely beaten, the court heard. Mr Starkey said: "All three stayed at her house, effectively as domestic servants and worked unpaid carrying out chores looking after her own five children. They were physically mistreated."

Detective Inspector Gordon Valentine, of Paladin, said : "At just 11-years old, a time when any child should rightfully be at school, this poor young girl was forced to feed her keepers' children, wash their clothes and do the household cleaning, with little or no access to the outside world.

"Not only this, but she was in a strange country and beaten. This is an illustration that even in our society that slavery still exists and is happening within in our communities. We are asking people to be aware of this and bring these matters to the attention of the authorities."

Adeniji faces sentencing next month after being convicted on Friday. Victoria Climbié was eight when she died at the hands of her guardian, great-aunt Marie Therese Kouao, who was found guilty of murder along with her boyfriend Carl Manning in 2003.

The girl's parents sent her to London from Ivory Coast for a better life but she was beaten and tortured and died in hospital suffering from hypothermia and malnutrition

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23923102-children-were-beaten-and-kept-as-slaves-in-pastors-london-home.do
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Busybody2(f): 11:43pm On Feb 14, 2011
shocked OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG cry cry cry cry cry cry Aunty Lucy's adorable children cry cry cry
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Osama10(m): 2:20am On Feb 15, 2011
Wonders shall never end. shocked shocked angry angry
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Outstrip(f): 3:26am On Feb 15, 2011
I hope she reads the Bible she preaches from because it says that it is better that a millstone be tied around her neck and she be thrown into the sea. That is the punishment God wishes for people who abuse children
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by toyemz(f): 4:08am On Feb 15, 2011
oh my gosh
why do people beleive that God never sees the wickedness rooted in their hearts
for some oh
the punishment of hell fire begins right on earth!
you dont mistreat children!!!
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by ifyalways(f): 8:56am On Feb 15, 2011
There are different levels of insanity and wickedness sha.How can one travel all the way to naija,pick another woman's child,bring her to UK just to pratice her witchcraft on/with them?
Besides Is she related to those kids?I believe the mothers of those kids must have had thansgivings and testimonies in their various churches of how they kids are going to obodo oyinbo to enjoy a better life . . .Na wao,poverty na bigggg curse.
Time for mothers to sit up,be very sure before u give out ur child.Saddest part is that she claimed she is a pastor angry
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 5:43pm On Feb 15, 2011
I'm not at all happy with this. I thank God once more for exposing another wolf in his flock of sheep.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Outstrip(f): 5:49pm On Feb 15, 2011
Are we saying that no member of her church were aware of this or that no one even knew at the very least that that child was not going to school. I still believe that if it was left to african slavery will still be alive and well. The white man has not done one quarter of what africans have done and are still doing when it comes to enslaving their fellow man

1 Like

Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Feb 15, 2011
Bringing them in on false passports, if true, was the first mistake, imo. Everything else was only a matter of time.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 15, 2011
Im not saying i dont know how hard things are back home, btw.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 8:59am On Feb 16, 2011
Most of us back home take children from the village and do the same to them. The once who feel magnanimus put the helps in poor rate public schools and our own kids in posh schools. If you are going to help then help if not let the child be, hire a nature help. We re no different from slave traders, these children will come from school take care of your own children while your kids are doing homework they are cooking cleaningwashing and serving for no salary, you think you are doing them a favor by putting them in a free public school, no books, no lesson teacher? How many of you help your helps with thier homework?
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Sagamite(m): 3:10pm On Feb 18, 2011
And some moooorons would have paid a lot of tithe and first fruit to this evil person they will call "Woman of God" if you dared criticise? undecided
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Blazay(m): 6:04am On Feb 19, 2011
Should we be surprised?  grin
She is illegal too, with a "council" flat to practice witchcraft? shocked
See what poverty causes in Africa especially?

People just allow the chidren they carelessly conceived to wander into Saran's den?

Poor orphans too!

This is s real witch!

African Christain life na waya o! cheesy

Here comes one of those your "Olodumare-da-rin-ji-won-o!". . . . . . . . .'sugar, born/born again, modern-day, London-Nigerian, "Ogboni-Okija" pastors',  . . . .only ordained by Satan himself. grin

Thanks to "My God", I can never be a Christian.

Are we also surprised that it is also one of those your "blessed are the fruits of the womb Jesus-sum'un" alatikatious women with
her own children she prolly has eaten spiritually, one by one for rituals, that is pepertrating such heinous crimes amongst man and God? She prolly was a vAgin-Maria too and totally abstained from all "all sins of the body, flesh and spirit" prior to pushin' out all them kids. No news of a husband? Arrrrrrrgh!!!! KPAAAAGHAAA!!! Dead of course! She has killed him for sure!

Witch!

Give me a MOOZ-LUM any time, any day!

Thank my God for places outside Nigeria. Such stories like this would never see the light of day, with all those Ogboni-Okija, born-again criminals!

Twa!
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Sagamite(m): 9:17am On Feb 19, 2011
Busy_body:

shocked OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG cry cry cry cry cry cry Aunty Lucy's adorable children cry cry cry

You know Aunty Lucy?

aisha2:

Most of us back home take children from the village and do the same to them. The once who feel magnanimus put the helps in poor rate public schools and our own kids in posh schools. If you are going to help then help if not let the child be, hire a nature help. We re no different from slave traders, these children will come from school take care of your own  children while your kids are doing homework they are cooking cleaningwashing and serving for no salary, you think you are doing them a favor by putting them in a free public school, no books, no lesson teacher? How many of you help your helps with thier homework?

Lets be realistic.

If one takes any of these kids from the village and give them a better life (e.g. 3-square meals, infrastructure and education) than they will have in the village, it is not that bad as long as they are not being worked to exhaustion/death.

It is utterly unrealistic and a waste of time to expect these househelps to be sent to posh private schools. Even they themselves will not fit in. And it is completely unrealistic to expect someone to waste such huge resources on househelp, as harsh and elitist as that may sound. It is the real world and I don't think anyone wants to expect N2m per year on house help.

If they are magnanimous enough to send the child to local school that he will not be able to afford in the village and ensure they are performing academically, give them meals they would not have access to in the village and they are not unjustly worked to exhaustion and being paid fair wage for their labour, it is adequate and better than the life they will have in the hopeless village where the local council chairman has stolen all funds.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 19, 2011
@Blazay,

Christianity has nothing to do with owning or going to some building loosely called a church and trusting in men/women.

True Christianity is in your own personal [/b]walk with Jesus Christ, unhindered and unshaken by whatever another man or woman (i.e x-pastors,killers,serial rapists) decides to go do with their own faith. It is about moving in the Spirit of God as imprinted from reading the bible [b]on your own.

Following Jesus (Not Christianity the religion) is wherein lies the true benefit and triumph of true Christianity.

Now see, it is just that the enemy has planted various interlopers in the church who are there to work wickedness. The bible speaks of this in no small length. But God, who is always faithful to His word, is flushing them out and bringing them into the open. Indeed, everytime you hear something like this, it is simply that Jesus is cleaning out His house just like He has told us he will, and it is simply a testament to Him being ALIVE!

Are you a muslim Blazay?
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Blazay(m): 12:37pm On Feb 19, 2011
^^^
Sorry, not the "cyber-chatting" kind.
Have a nice day.

I thank thee lord!
Time to hug some "tee-tees".
Work is so ova!!!
What a BORE! cry
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 9:27am On Feb 21, 2011
Sagamite:

You know Aunty Lucy?

Lets be realistic.

If one takes any of these kids from the village and give them a better life (e.g. 3-square meals, infrastructure and education) than they will have in the village, it is not that bad as long as they are not being worked to exhaustion/death.

It is utterly unrealistic and a waste of time to expect these househelps to be sent to posh private schools. Even they themselves will not fit in. And it is completely unrealistic to expect someone to waste such huge resources on househelp, as harsh and elitist as that may sound. It is the real world and I don't think anyone wants to expect N2m per year on house help.

If they are magnanimous enough to send the child to local school that he will not be able to afford in the village and ensure they are performing academically, give them meals they would not have access to in the village and they are not unjustly worked to exhaustion and being paid fair wage for their labour, it is adequate and better than the life they will have in the hopeless village where the local council chairman has stolen all fun

ds.
No one says they should be in 2milllion schools, but the pretence about bringing them to help them while in actual sense you over use them and never give a hoot about thier education is what am against beyound paying 500 school fees, do you buy them books? or have a lesson teacher help them catch up or even help them with home work? A child is a child yours or not, if you want a househelp get one and negotiate terms of service instead of pretending to bring a child to help and overuse them while feeling like a hero for paying N500 a term and giving food. Whats so ever you do to the least of my brethren you do unto me.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Carlosein(m): 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2011
But why do people give birth to kids and refuse to train them

then others come along and make offers of 'better lives' and fast as puff, they pack their things in cartons and off they go with 'uncle or anty this or that' undecided

just so senseless!!!
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Carlosein(m): 7:26pm On Feb 21, 2011
Busy_body:

Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Sagamite(m): 6:29am On Feb 22, 2011
aisha2:

No one says they should be in 2milllion schools, but the pretence about bringing them to help them while in actual sense you over use them and never give a hoot about thier education is what am against beyound paying 500 school fees, do you buy them books? or have a lesson teacher help them catch up or even help them with home work? A child is a child yours or not, if you want a househelp get one and negotiate terms of service instead of pretending to bring a child to help and overuse them while feeling like a hero for paying N500 a term and giving food. Whats so ever you do to the least of my brethren you do unto me.

I completely agree with you.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Shinatu: 2:16pm On Feb 24, 2011
aisha2:

@aisha,

Yes, I have done all that you have mentioned above to a househelp from a less priviledged home as hard as it may be hard for you to beleive ( from your previous statements). I did not put her in a public School, I put her in a private school  (although I do not pretend that my child would go to the exact same school) and I know a couple of my colleagues/friends who have done the same.

I do not intend to do it again, as you advised ,I prefer to get a paid help with clearcut TOS (terms of service).
I have found out it is a daunting task, the child already has a mindset and the parents are more interested in the Yam, oil and money they are able to get from you than the bags of books they see with thier child.

I remember what I had to go through when I wanted my ward to repeat a class, I had gone through one of her homeworks with her and realised she needed to repeat the class if she would pass WAEC, her parents just could not buy into it, after all ,exams are not so hard to pass in Nigeria.

So if anyone comes from the village, I will help by any amount of money I can afford to give them, let them go and take care of their children themselves. The sad thing is that these children need more counselling than their parents can give!

I am sorry for the long epistle but I just wanted you to hear from the 'other side', I hadly see badly treated househelps these days (in Nigeria) even the paid ones are allowed some degree of dignity. People are now challenged by the word of God they hear in their places of worship especially the middleclass.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Feb 24, 2011
Shinatu:

@aisha,

Yes, I have done all that you have mentioned above to a househelp from a less priviledged home as hard as it may be hard for you to beleive ( from your previous statements). I did not put her in a public School, I put her in a private school  (although I do not pretend that my child would go to the exact same school) and I know a couple of my colleagues/friends who have done the same.

I do not intend to do it again, as you advised ,I prefer to get a paid help with clearcut TOS (terms of service).
I have found out it is a daunting task, the child already has a mindset and the parents are more interested in the Yam, oil and money they are able to get from you than the bags of books they see with thier child.

I remember what I had to go through when I wanted my ward to repeat a class, I had gone through one of her homeworks with her and realised she needed to repeat the class if she would pass WAEC, her parents just could not buy into it, after all ,exams are not so hard to pass in Nigeria.

So if anyone comes from the village, I will help by any amount of money I can afford to give them, let them go and take care of their children themselves. The sad thing is that these children need more counselling than their parents can give!

I am sorry for the long epistle but I just wanted you to hear from the 'other side', I hadly see badly treated househelps these days (in Nigeria) even the paid ones are allowed some degree of dignity. People are now challenged by the word of God they hear in their places of worship especially the middleclass.

Far b it for me to Judge, who am I? Anyway, i understand, been there. What am saying is that, it is not realistic to take a child under the pretence of educating them and still keep them as helps. It is always better and easier even though more expensive to get a paid maid who clear terms of reference. The child thing, where does it start and end? Where does she stop being a maid and start being a ward? where does discpline start and child abuse start? all these issues?
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Sagamite(m): 5:51pm On Feb 24, 2011
Shinatu:

This is where you have to be ruthlessly tough.

Don't waste your time negotiating with people that are not sharp. Use the stick or the carrot. Tell the parents she either repeats or she is sacked!

No negotiations! Be decisive.

aisha2:

Where does she stop being a maid and start being a ward?

Once she starts university.

Then you turn from Boss to Sponsor/Mentor. (S)he is free to stay in the house as a familiar guest.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Angolobabe(f): 8:25am On Feb 25, 2011
Wonders shall never end, all this fake pastors using juju to get powers and pretending its from God. , na today ,there heart is dark u can never imagine all those Godly words are all fake.

Poor innocent children suffering , this happens often in Nigeria too so its not new but sad.
Re: Children Were Beaten And Kept As Slaves In Pastor's London Home (pastor) by Busybody2(f): 2:17pm On Feb 26, 2011
Sagamite:

You know Aunty Lucy?

She is an Aunty of a very close friend of mine, but the thing is you would never have guessed if this didn't happen. She should have trained as an Actress. She is that good.

(1) (Reply)

black Nigerian Couple Gives Birthto White Baby / :'( What Is This World Turning To!!!!! :'( :'( / My Brothers Wife Refused To Put Meat For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.