Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:52 AM

Autistic Child: Please Help - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Autistic Child: Please Help (31778 Views)

Temperamental Child. Please Help. / Before You Hit That Child, Please See (PHOTOS) / Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Abbeycaesar(m): 7:23pm On Aug 15, 2020
That picture is from Bird Box right? Such a pulsating movie, has everything similar to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Ishilove:

Next time open your eyes and read well
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by tsmith(f): 7:24pm On Aug 15, 2020
GWagonlover:
Dear Experienced parents and child development experts,

I have a 4-year old child suffering from mild autism which was discovered when he was two. As a concerned parent, i have taken steps by spending a lot in hiring speech and behavioural therapist, and seeing a development pediatrician with some success achieved at least in getting him stable to be able to absorb what he's being taught in class.

With diagnosis done confirming the mildness, i was encouraged to allow him do things regular children do which will help him grow out of the disorder.

Now i noticed that he has memory challenge in terms of ability to retain and recall information especially in his study which is a big concern to me. He also dislikes reading and writing but enjoy visual-based instructions.

In light of above, i need help from parents who have gone through this challenging phase with such kids and also autistic child development experts on how I can help my child over come the short term memory problem,repetition of words, writing and reading.

Please help!!!

There is a group on facebook, autism nigeria and beyond, where you'd find support and like minded people (parents, famillies and professionals) all looking for better understanding and management of Autism. I have 3 nephews with autism and several friends with autistic kids so it's been beneficial for navigating affairs. My sister in law who's 2 kids are autistic is also very active on there both as a content contributor and member. I think you too can benefit from the commonality.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2020
banjo022:
you are a stupid bitch
Same goes to you. Stupid ass.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by RPG2020(m): 7:25pm On Aug 15, 2020
sheepheart:
How old is the child now?

40 years old because you nor dey read
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by drnoel: 7:26pm On Aug 15, 2020
banjo022:
you are a stupid bitch

@nutella, pls ignore people like this. Shey this one was talking religion some moments back and is now insulting with same mouth. This is why I don't break my head about this religion thing cos most of them are hypocrites.

2 Likes

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Ishilove: 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2020
Abbeycaesar:
That picture is from Bird Box right? Such a pulsating movie, has everything similar to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Yes indeedy.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by RPG2020(m): 7:28pm On Aug 15, 2020
dahmie2013:

If indeed you are a believer, then I am ashamed of you. The fact that your science has no cure to a disease, does not mean Jesus has no cure. I repeat, God created that child, him alone can cure him. God is the manufacturer and he has spare parts for everything he created. Deal with it!#BelieveThat

Ride on pastor
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2020
ALEX182:

Down's syndrome is a syndrome. That means in layman's terms, it has no cure but is caused by a gene mutation.

Autism is a developmental disorder which occurs in many children and has a broad spectrum (it manifests itself in different ways in different children. It is a "mental disorder" which often times can be corrected with early intervention.

Due to its genetic form, many individuals who have Down's syndrome tend to have a wide range of health problems later in life such as renal failure, heart defects, heart problems, and others. They often don't live long due to these health conditions.

Autistic individual often grow out of it and usually have no health problems associated with the disorder. They live full lives and function normally in the society.

I understand what you mean. You didn't mean to be rude in your question. I have answered it.
Thanks for giving a detailed response.

2 Likes

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 15, 2020
drnoel:

@nutella, pls ignore people like this. Shey this one was talking religion some moments back and is now insulting with same mouth. This is why I don't break my head about this religion thing cos most of them are hypocrites.
who is talking about religion or are u suffering from glaucoma? keep asslicking these bitches it makes u an unfortunate imp.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nuttella:
Thanks for giving a detailed response.

Welcome dear wink
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by drnoel: 7:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
FrLukas:
GWagonlover

I think you should also consult an experienced and qualified hypnotherapist.

They should be able to help your child unlock the portions of his mind that he might not have access to.

I doubt that would work. It's at the best experimental. Hypnotherapy works well in cases of memory loss not autism. If u have contrary opinion pls upload link of ur proof.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by unclemaths(m): 7:33pm On Aug 15, 2020
I am very sorry about the challenges you both face daily.

It's a daily battle for him too. At a point in time, he will discover himself. Thereafter, his motivation will be self driven.

One of your primary aim is to assist him to reach that point possibly soon.

BTW: we are all learning and I'll like to hear your response to this question:

What was the nature of his birth/delivery?

Did you experience a prolonged labour?

Any major falls growing up?

What interests him the most?

How does he fare with basic chores?

It's o.k if you don't wanna respond to any of these questions, though I wish you would.

1 Like

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by daraj: 7:40pm On Aug 15, 2020
If you truly love this child please get him CBD oil, it helps very effectively for autism, and there are testimonies to that. Contact me on WhatsApp 08124137245.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by tesppidd: 7:48pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nuttella:
I guess I didnt present the question in a good way. Thanks for the kind reply.
Thanks for the kind reply?

Why not also say sorry for the wrong presentation?
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by weoai(m): 7:52pm On Aug 15, 2020
You can reach out to Patrick Speech and Language centre run by Mrs Dotun Akande. She is a top authority on raising autistic children.

GWagonlover:

I have a 4-year old child suffering from mild autism which was discovered when he was two. As a concerned parent, i have taken steps by spending a lot in hiring speech and behavioural therapist, and seeing a development pediatrician with some success achieved at least in getting him stable to be able to absorb what he's being taught in class.

With diagnosis done confirming the mildness, i was encouraged to allow him do things regular children do which will help him grow out of the disorder.

Now i noticed that he has memory challenge in terms of ability to retain and recall information especially in his study which is a big concern to me. He also dislikes reading and writing but enjoy visual-based instructions.

In light of above, i need help from parents who have gone through this challenging phase with such kids and also autistic child development experts on how I can help my child over come the short term memory problem,repetition of words, writing and reading.

Please help!!!

1 Like

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 7:56pm On Aug 15, 2020
tesppidd:
Thanks for the kind reply?

Why not also say sorry for the wrong presentation?
I just said I didn't present the message in a good way, what else do you want me to do, prostrate? Why are you all acting so edgey?
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Alexaonfleek: 8:02pm On Aug 15, 2020
GWagonlover:

Please help!!!
Thank God you discovered your kid's own very early.
I have a brother who's autistic too.
If you stay in Lagos,check out Patrick's school in ikeja.
It's expensive but they'll help your child through.
Contrary to what you think autistic kids actually have good memory and are very intelligent, though they have low attention span.
Let him learn through visuals.
If it's the letters of the alphabet he is learn then paste it in the house.
And please while trying to groom him academically pls try to teach him to communicate with other people,cuz it's a major problem with autistic kids.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by backwardneva: 8:07pm On Aug 15, 2020
ALEX182:

Down's syndrome is a syndrome. That means in layman's terms, it has no cure but is caused by a gene mutation.

Autism is a developmental disorder which occurs in many children and has a broad spectrum (it manifests itself in different ways in different children. It is a "mental disorder" which often times can be corrected with early intervention.

Due to its genetic form, many individuals who have Down's syndrome tend to have a wide range of health problems later in life such as renal failure, heart defects, heart problems, and others. They often don't live long due to these health conditions.

Autistic individual often grow out of it and usually have no health problems associated with the disorder. They live full lives and function normally in the society.

I understand what you mean. You didn't mean to be rude in your question. I have answered it.
Thank you for the explanation.

1 Like

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Alexaonfleek: 8:08pm On Aug 15, 2020
dahmie2013:

If indeed you are a believer, then I am ashamed of you. The fact that your science has no cure to a disease, does not mean Jesus has no cure. I repeat, God created that child, him alone can cure him. God is the manufacturer and he has spare parts for everything he created. Deal with it!#BelieveThat
As much as Jesus heals,your comments seem quite misleading and could push parents with autistic kids to have their children being punished and flogged by mad pastors in the guise that they have an 'evil spirit'

3 Likes

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 15, 2020
Mindlog:

This is so insensitive. No child chose to be born with a neuro-developmental disorder.
Honestly. No child chooses to be born with any disorder.

1 Like

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 15, 2020
drnoel:

That's a good question. In Nigeria and some parts of Africa the probability of even reaching such diagnosis is scarce and even if such a diagnosis is reached it's never on time. I know of several Nigerian families that their children were given similar diagnosis when the kids were well into their early teens. If I may throw ur question back to ur face, why then did their religion fail them?
Ur comment and I quote "God created that child, him alone can cure him. God is the manufacturer and he has spare parts for everything he created", true as it maybe is very myopic and misleading.

Autism spectrum disorders does not have a cure, atleast not in the sense of that word. Pls I don't mean any disrespect, but U should educate urself more about an issue before u come to comment and show ur ignorance. Google really explains ASD very well, u should do well to research it.

Don't get me, I am also a believer but I don't believe blindly. I believe with reasons. Besides Bible says and I quote "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead"- James 2; 17.

Pls lets be pragmatic with information and reasons. Bringing religion and God into this discussion will only complicate the topic. Let's keep it simple cos blind belief would not solve the issue. There are parents suffering cos of this and children who are not getting their needed therapy because of lack of information. Thank you again.
Some Nigerians sef. Before you know they say you don't have faith.
I've lived with Sickle Cell all my life. It may be different from autism, but both are still disorders (I believe). There's nothing I've not heard from religious people.
Do this,
Do that
Go here
Go there.
Religious Nigerian people will frustrate you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 15, 2020
drnoel:

I doubt that would work. It's at the best experimental. Hypnotherapy works well in cases of memory loss not autism. If u have contrary opinion pls upload link of ur proof.

Lol. Experimental? Memory loss? You don't know a thing about hypnotherapy do you?

https://lcchinternational.co.uk/using-hypnotherapy-with-people-on-the-autistic-spectrum/

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 15, 2020
jamalnation:

yes 100%

Ok.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by free2ryhme: 8:40pm On Aug 15, 2020
GWagonlover:

Please help!!!

Is it asperger syndrome?

Get a therapist for the child. Make arrangements with the therapist to have sessions with the child in classroom
Talk to the school head about your child's condition
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Enculer: 8:54pm On Aug 15, 2020
Leave religion out of it. Yes.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Enculer: 8:57pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nigerians can be truly dumb.

Low IQ people.

Someone has a kid suffering from Austism and they are talking about prayers and quoting from foreign religions. Dumb people.

OP, do not worry too much. In many cases, Autism will die off. I have seen kids come out of it in like a couple of years. Get the necessary advice from qualified practitioners and do not listen to religious nutters.

2 Likes

Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Depressed101: 8:58pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nuttella:
Stop telling me talks about empathy as if you are mrs humanitarian or Mrs empathy, spare me the lectures. angry. Enough with the eye service.
learn approach. Stop acting up. Take the advice in good fate
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by AbooTasleemah1(m): 8:59pm On Aug 15, 2020
At OP, search for @asktoks or @simonesoasis on Twitter or IG or Facebook. The woman that runs the foundation has a kid with such too and she was able to manage him well. This poise her to have a foundation and create awareness on how to tend to such special kids. I attended their seminars for "Special Needs for Teacher Awareness program " twice this year. They have professionals they are working with as Educationists and medical practitioners. You'll be lucky if you're in Lagos.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Troynewyork(f): 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2020
[quWte author=Nuttella post=92793419]An autistic child and a child with down syndrome, which is worse?[/quote]Worsehow about who is more ugly,you or your neighbor?? We are all the same created in the image of God!!!
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 15, 2020
Nuttella:
Stop telling me talks about empathy as if you are mrs humanitarian or Mrs empathy, spare me the lectures. angry. Enough with the eye service.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Abyima(m): 9:08pm On Aug 15, 2020
If audiovisual learning will make him learn, follow what suits him. He is in his own world. Autistic Children love routines. You can also use grand Ma method for him as a type of behavioural reinforcement. I bet you he will be fine.

Don't forget also to give him a good special teacher. And also be prayerful. With God, he shall come out of it. Amen.
Re: Autistic Child: Please Help by Tominix(m): 9:09pm On Aug 15, 2020
doggedfighter:

Shut up. Why will he want to manufacture parts when he can make perfect humans?
aRe you an atheist?? cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Funniest And Craziest Things You Did When You Were A Kid / 4 Money Problems In Nigerian Marriages To Avoid / 4-year-old South African Girl Destroys The Dance Floor, Trends Online. Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.