Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,267 members, 7,780,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:15 PM

What We Did Not Know About Buhari - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What We Did Not Know About Buhari (12674 Views)

We Will Do To Boko Haram, What We Did To Biafra - Obasanjo / 54 Incredible Facts That You Might Not Know About Nigeria / We Did Not Kidnap Olu Falae – Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by honeric01(m): 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2011
I won’t accept more than N1m donation – Buhari
By Olusola Fabiyi and Abimbola Adelakun
Thursday, 24 Feb 2011

The Presidential candidate of the Congress for Political Change, Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has said his campaign office will not accept more than N1m from any individual who wants to donate towards campaign.

He, however, said that anyone who wants to donate more than that could do so through the party.

Buhari will be launching his presidential campaign in Kaduna on Tuesday, March 1. A statement from his campaign organisation says “it promises a redefinition of the tenor of campaigns for 2011.”

Buhari spoke at the unveiling of his campaign website in Abuja on Wednesday.

He said, “My campaign will accept donations from individuals but it must not be more than N1m. Those who want to donate more are free to do so through the party.

“I will also want to use this opportunity of the unveiling of the campaign website to let people know that Nigerians are aware of happenings in the Arab World.

“We have also seen the role played by the new media in galvanising people for change in North African countries in recent times. It shows clearly that a new society has come which must be engaged virtually.

“In order to avoid it, we must avoid electoral malpractices and also police our votes. We will not spare anything to have a credible election.”

Buhari called on all volunteers that had opened websites for him and his campaign team to close them immediately.

The former head of state said he was aware that some people, who had opened a website in the name of the party, were using it to solicit for donations from unsuspecting members of the public.

“We do not know about such and urge our teeming supporters not to fall into the hands of such people,” he warned.

He said many Nigerians were yearning for a change in the country, adding that he and his team would bring about such positive change.

Buhari said as soon as the party’s manifesto and programmes were released, he would hit the campaign grounds.

Also speaking at the occasion, Buhari’s running mate, Pastor Tunde Bakare, described the launching of the website as a positive indication, saying the party was ready to win the hearts of Nigerian youths.

Asked why he was running with Buhari, who he had allegedly described as a spent force in 2007, Bakare said he never used such a word.

He said what he actually said then was that “Buhari would not win because the forces of darkness are at play and riggers are at work. That was then, now we are moving on.

“So, it will be wrong to say that I called him a spent force. Do not also forget that I had mounted the pulpit and said Buhari remains the most credible person of all the presidential aspirants.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201102241503060
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by 9ijaMan: 9:39pm On Feb 24, 2011
That is what I call a principled candidacy.
How can anyone in his right frame of mind compare the Buhari campaign who will not accept more than 1M from anyone to a GEJ campaign that taxed six state governors 500,000,000 (five hundred Million shocked shocked shocked) naira each.!
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by zeeleso(f): 7:56am On Feb 25, 2011
Buhari needs little campaign in the north, he's already so popular and the masses choice in the North while he is almost non-existent to the masses of the south energy should be focused in the south.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Xfactoria: 10:31am On Feb 25, 2011
nagoma:

Dear Nairalanders X- factoria above has been quoting from his dreams ignorantly or mischiviously to show that PTF did nothing for the SW and naive minds like agaba 123 seem to be sucked in.
PTF was a well planned program and executionmay not be 100% in quality but was the best in Nigerias public service history in equity and reach to all corners  of Nigeria. I will take the sectors one by one and I will at first concentrate in the SW for the sake of Mr. x-factor.
Chief Tayo Akpata was the Secretary and board member of the PTF and the most important advisor to the Board and the Chairman , although he is a High Chief of the Benin Kingdom he spent most of his working life in Ibadan and married an Ibadan woman , he was one of the leadding elites and part of the intelligensia of the old western region. (May God continue to bless him and his noble family) he is a good Nigerian and could not sit and see the SW cheated.  Chief Adebayo Oyero was the Director of PTF administration for 5 years reporting directly to Buhari and working closely with Chief Tayo. Oyero is a respected Ibadan indegene who was at one time an LGA chaiman in Ibadan even before PTF. The PTF treasurer for all the years was Mr. Afolabi who kept and looked after and disbusred all the PTF money - he is from the SW. The PTF resident accountant and Deputy Director was Mr. Kola Adedeji from Osun state SW. Dr. Ajakaiye of blessed memory was in charge of PTF Planning Research and Statistics and remember that Chief Rufus Giwa (also of blessed memory) was the very active Board member representing the SW. etc etc these people could never sit down and watch SW being swndled. And more importantly Buhari would never never do that.  In his acceptance speech as PTF Chairman ( dubbed "the no compromise speech"wink on March 21st 1995 he said " , I am a humble and simple manbrought up in the old tradition that [i]cherishes [/i] integrity , " he also said " I have had the good fortune to have received the best professional trainingat the expence of Nigerian Nation, I have also been priviledged to have served the nation at several levels upto the highest position, " he went on to conclude " , orderly and gradual development has virtually ceased ,leaving the public service and utilities in ruins. The regeneration of all these and of urban and rural community lifeis a sacred duty and responsibility those placed in leadership position cannot avoid."[/i][i] I will continuein the next posting ,

Nagoma: You must be an educated illiterate!

I didn't write that report and that is why I highlighted the source in my post. It was excerpted from a PTF report posted on another thread here on nairaland. Mind you, that was not the first time I will be reading these statistics. To some of you, if it does not come with a weblink, it is not credible. It just goes to show how lazy you guys can be.

That said, you seem to be under the illusion that because there were Southwesterners who held top positions in the PTF, their couldn't have been marginalization in terms of project execution. You forgot that the PTF was under a military regime that was intolerable to freedom of speech and any form of antagonism. Abacha influenced most of the policies in the PTF and who are these people you mentioned to stand up to him to say no? These guys you mentioned cannot love the Southwest more than their lives. To further puncture your assertions, weren't their Southwesterners as Ministers under Abacha when the General was wasting a lot of our illustrious folks because they didn't support his government? How many of them resigned in protest? The only guy (Former AG Olu Onagoruwa) that dared it lost his son to Abacha's killer squad and he also suffered a stroke thereafter.

Buhari witnessed all these injustice and did not for one day cautioned the Abacha government or protested them as long as the North continues to benefit. The truth is, Buhari loves the north with passion and would do anything to make them happy but not so for the South (SW, SS and SE). The statistics from the PTF report and the events of the Abacha regime showed that clearly.

Tunde Bakare also made this Buhari's candidacy a laughing stuck in so many ways. He declared on October 1, 2006 that Buhari would not be in the new Nigeria that God showed him and today, he is running with him.

Lastly, have you guys thought about Buhari's age? How fast can his brains process information at official age of 69 (He will be well over 70!)? If he is such a good leader, he would have over the years discipled a young follower with his mindsets who will be acceptable to the whole country. That is failure in leadership if you ask me. He doesn't even see Ribadu as a willing disciple. Everything since 2003 (while in APP, ANPP and now CPC) has been all about him. Little wonder, the ANPP guys choked him out of their party.

Abeg, I have said enough. Its left for you guys to look back and learn from history and the antecedents of the men you are urging on. Most of you won't vote anyway.
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by nastydamus(m): 11:04am On Feb 26, 2011
zeeleso:

Buhari needs little campaign in the north, he's already so popular and the masses choice in the North while he is almost non-existent to the masses of the south energy should be focused in the south.
@ the above:
Strongly supported. Volunteers will have to come in on many fronts. For starters, if you believe in this duo, u could, for example, use this attached picture as your profile picture on Facebook and Twitter, then tag all your friends in it and watch how that page turns to a forum for discourse (am sure it will).

Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by nagoma(m): 4:25pm On Feb 26, 2011
Dear x -factoria. We are 2 educated illiterates (i am even surprised that that you think I might have some education! My name to you is a goro chewing cattle rearer a mallam and an almajiri isnt it Mr. hate?) but you are extremely nagative and tribal jingoist who sees nothing good in what others do if they are not your parapo. I am sure you will praise Obasanjo for wasting the 8 years of Nigerias potential development and you will never, never see anything whatsoever good in Buhari. Let us leave it at that. sad
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by Wahala90: 11:32pm On Apr 13, 2011
[size=14pt]
"I will continue to show openly and inside me the total commitment to the Sharia movement that is sweeping all over Nigeria," - Buhari

"God willing, we will not stop the agitation for the total implementation of the Sharia in the country," - Buhari
[/size]
Re: What We Did Not Know About Buhari by hasyak(m): 9:52pm On Apr 15, 2011
I will not because of the calculation/assumption of a few/majority elite based on facts, deny my conscience of voting for the right candidate.

I refuse to let the perception of the electorate (majority) based on past elections & parties style (rigging) derail me of my choice of credible candidate.

I turn my back on that feeling of "hopelessness" experienced by majority; that no matter what they do, their vote can never amount to bringing about change.

I refuse to change my mind based on political analysis and their structures towards winning the Presidential election. Still will i vote wisely even if the most competent candidate has no political structure.

No amount of preaching/brain-washing can make me accept a party that has taken us back for 12yrs even if my father were to be the candidate of such party. Knowing fully well that a Destructive means can never bring about a Constructive end.

Yes, all might not be well but a well conscience has the might to reject the status quo & embrace change.

Believing otherwise when something is right means you are part of the problem, no matter how you try to justify it.

The fact that we cannot all agree on a common goal either as youths or as a nation does not give the room for us to deny the truth.

I make bold to say i shall be voting Buhari/Bakare, keep your thoughts, advice or history 'cos it makes no difference for me.

My conscience certifies them. I have no fear if they win or not, at least my conscience will judge me right.

Even if I have boil on my thumb, i'll use my tongue.

Nigeria lets vote without sentiments.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Time Lists Jonathan, Obama, Messi Among World’s 100 Most Influential / Press Release: School Feeding Programme Reaches 17 States / APC Ends All Presidential/national Assembly Campaigns.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.