Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,565,283 members, 5,931,828 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 October 2020 at 05:39 PM

Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread (5802 Views)

There Is No Coronavirus (covid-19) In Nigeria / Coronavirus Chat Thread: Lets Talk About Coronavirus / The End Of Coronavirus Covid-19 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by KelvinCoaster(m): 5:03pm On Oct 16
Originalsly:
I have workmates (New York) that were out as early as December with COVID-19.....sick... no taste ... no smell... not diagnosed. I was out early February.... symptoms similar to bronchitis.... serious but extremely dry and persistent cough. We all knew it was COVID-19 after the fact.... when it was later announced that COVID-19 was brought to the US. All.that first COVID-19 case was brought from Europe is hogwash... it was already circulating in the US... just like any other flu.

To the purpose of this thread...... experts in the house.... testing. What exactly are they testing for?..... the actual COVID-19 strain of the virus?... or corona virus anti bodies? I'll wait for a response before moving on.
We test for COVID-19 biomarkers.There are presently 5 different biomarkers which are detected using Polymerase Chain Reaction assay!
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by Originalsly: 7:36pm On Oct 16
KelvinCoaster:

We test for COVID-19 biomarkers.There are presently 5 different biomarkers which are detected using Polymerase Chain Reaction assay!

Ok.... how accurate is the test?.... and does it meet normal acceptable levels?
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by KelvinCoaster(m): 7:17am On Oct 17
Originalsly:

Ok.... how accurate is the test?.... and does it meet normal acceptable levels?
The test is 99.9% specific and 99.9% sensitive!
It is by far the most dependable only that it is time consuming!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by PremzY002(m): 9:44pm On Oct 17
Deleted. ..
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by PremzY002(m): 9:45pm On Oct 17
Deleted
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by PremzY002(m): 10:17pm On Oct 17
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by Giskard: 2:07am On Oct 18
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by Seun(m): 10:11pm On Oct 18
Giskard:
Good Morning.

Sorry, I had to create a new account to post here, as my main account is slightly known in some other parts of the site. I also do not know if this is the right place to post this.

I'll do my best to make this as orderly as possible to better help the esteemed consultants here better understand my matter.

Symptoms started: Sat, Oct 2017, 2020.

1pm
- Elevated heartbeat (97 - 115 bpm)
- Slight fatigue
- Running & blocked nose
- Last BP check (131/70 @ 8pm)
- Heavy face and slight headache.

6pm
- A little stiff feeling in chest. Worsens when I lay down.
- Little stitch at left side of chest (just below left nipple).
- Cough
- Sore throat

9pm
- Chills
- Feeling hot, but have to cover up (Fever?)
- Deep breaths between words.
- Completely blocked nose
- Can feel my heart beating even when laying down and completely at rest.
- Slight pain at my sides

I have been on allergy treatment for the past week, and will complete the dosage in another 3 weeks.

Meds I'm currently taking
- Predicure prednisolone 5mg tab
- Zyncet hydrocloride 10mg tab
-Actifed tabs for cold
- Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray
- Orange Vit C tabs

That's pretty much it. I have 3 questions, but I'll welcome more advice from anyone that has more to say.

1. Do I have covid?
2. Am I in the high-risk category (of fatalities because of underlying conditions)?
3. What do hell do I do now? grin

Thank you for reading and for your eventual advice!
1. Maybe. Maybe not. A test will reveal this. Have you been in high-risk situations.
2. I didn't find your underlying conditions as I skimmed through. What are they?
3. Isolate yourself. Get tested if possible. Arrange for quick transport to a hospital if things get worse.
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by fangniuniu: 2:31am On Oct 20
The sequence from March 2, 2020, (the earliest positive sentinel specimen collected) clustered with early sequences from Europe and United States (Group B), which also cluster with sequences from China. No sentinel sequences were directly connected to sequences from Wuhan, China, where the outbreak originated. This was unanticipated, given that most sentinel EDs were used by patients residing in ZIP codes with a high proportion of Chinese speakers. Rather, the sequence analysis suggests probable introductions of SARS-CoV-2 from Europe, from other U.S. locations, and local introductions from within New York. Domestic airport screening and bans on foreign nationals traveling from China were implemented on February 2;*** however, similar travel restrictions from the Schengen Area in Europe were only implemented March 13.††† Although travel restrictions are an important mitigation strategy, by the time the European restrictions were implemented, importation and community transmission of SARS-CoV-2 had already occurred in NYC.
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by fangniuniu: 2:34am On Oct 20
The US restricted travel from China on February 2 and from Europe on March 13, but by March 8, Covid-19 was already circulating among the community in New York City and, by March 15, community transmission of the virus was already widespread, the analysis found.
What was circulating most closely matched the strain of the virus circulating in Europe, not China, which President Donald Trump has repeatedly blamed for not preventing its spread to the US.
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by fangniuniu: 2:35am On Oct 20
By the time the Trump administration had placed travel restrictions on Europe, the importation of the virus and the community spread of the disease had already started in New York City, according to the report. Testing was limited at the start of the epidemic in New York City, which allowed people with undetected cases to spread the virus.
Trump has repeatedly pointed to his travel bans as evidence that his administration has effectively responded to the pandemic, claiming as recently as Tuesday that "we saved millions, potentially millions of lives."
Re: Coronavirus / COVID-19 Question & Chat Thread by fangniuniu: 1:16am
The DOHMH collected deidentified remnant nasopharyngeal swab specimens from patients with ILS and no known virologic diagnosis evaluated at six sentinel EDs during March 1–20, 2020. Because of concern that SARS-CoV-2 could be introduced by travelers returning from China, where the outbreak originated, five EDs were selected because of their high use by patients residing in ZIP codes with ≥20% self-identified Chinese speakers.** Two EDs were in Manhattan, two in Queens, one in Brooklyn, and one in the Bronx. Refrigerated specimens were released to DOHMH 48 hours after collection, and frozen specimens were released 1 week after collection. Specimens collected during March 1–9 were from patients of all ages. Because little was known about pediatric SARS-CoV-2 infection, during March 10–20, DOHMH only collected specimens from patients aged <18 years.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

New Deadly STD Called Sex superbug / Photos: Patients Caught Making Love On Hospital Bed In Lagos / Nigeria’s NDLEA Launches Online Counselling For Drug Users

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.