Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,154 members, 7,807,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. (8957 Views)

Advice Needed, Buying Tokunbo Tyres Or Brand New In Nigeria ? / Store For Your Genuine Volkswagen Spare Parts Both New And Tokunbo. / Tokunbo Tyres Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by kingreign(m): 5:25am On Aug 15, 2020
David50:
I would prefer u go with brand new china tyres and have peace of mind. I would personally recommend WINDA or SUNFUL. Normally, people run into early issues with their tyres because they neglect basic but essential tyre maintenance strategies:
1. Always ensure ur tyres and well gauged (very very very important)... as a rule of thumb check them everytime u fill ur tank. I personally check mine every weekend.
2. Rotate ur tyres every 3 months so they all wear evenly (as a rule of thumb, do it when ever u service your car).
3. Balance ur wheels 4 times a year.
4. Do alignment once a month.
Do this and u will enjoy ur new tyres for the duration of its life time.

That nonsense tyre that is very uneven and doesn't get balanced no matter what you do in trying to balance the tyre?

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by ogbuefi677(m): 10:14am On Aug 15, 2020
David50:
I would prefer u go with brand new china tyres and have peace of mind. I would personally recommend WINDA or SUNFUL. Normally, people run into early issues with their tyres because they neglect basic but essential tyre maintenance strategies:
1. Always ensure ur tyres and well gauged (very very very important)... as a rule of thumb check them everytime u fill ur tank. I personally check mine every weekend.
2. Rotate ur tyres every 3 months so they all wear evenly (as a rule of thumb, do it when ever u service your car).
Alignment once a month?

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by 9icetoo(m): 1:13pm On Aug 15, 2020
David50:
Can you compare sunful/winda to Michelin, pirelli, hankook, bridgestone, Yokohama?
Them no be mates.
When people advise tokunbo, they assume buyer will bear date of manufacture in mind.
Tokunbo tyres from known brands made from 2018 are okay.
I used to be in the new tyre camp until austone and double king dealt showed me that there is a difference between Panadol and paracetamol.

2 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by id4sho(m): 1:21pm On Aug 15, 2020
9icetoo:

Can you compare sunful/winda to Michelin, pirelli, hankook, bridgestone, Yokohama?
Them no be mates.
When people advise tokunbo, they assume buyer will bear date of manufacture in mind.
I used to be in the new tyre camp until austone and double king dealt showed me that there is a difference between Panadol and paracetamol.
Austone can twist & Double king can get bulge.
my present double king got 3 bulge on Front Right tyre. just using it strictly city driving
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by David50: 11:06pm On Aug 15, 2020
9icetoo:

Them no be mates.

Ofcourse u can't compare WINDA to Michellin. I use both so I know the difference. So if u have the money, go with the superior brand, but if u don't, my opinion is stick with the later.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by 7pages(m): 12:59am On Aug 16, 2020
I'm sure Experts will touch light on the matter

gazzuzz bro you're doing a great selfless service for Nairalander most especially naive car drivers like me

please I need your assistance bro, the golf 3 I bought had been giving me smooth ride until a recommended Rewire helped me worked on the fuel pump and changing Dashboard Sensor

if car do over heating today, fans will stop working tomorrow, I've changed relay up to two times all to no avail. my golf car keep doing overheating and I top the radiator with water mostly everyday which I read here in one of the thread here that is not normal

what do you suggest as the permanent solution to this everyday fault bro, I'm seeking advise for a permanent solution

my car is auto golf 3 (America Spec). the only trouble is this over heating

please advise me gazzuzz
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by soloehis(m): 8:47am On Aug 16, 2020
Praxtech:

Tires don't expire
I can relate to this..the cars I bought from Germany both has 2010 summer tyres that looks like brandnew..my contact in Germany said that there is no such thing as expiring date for tyres..they only check if the tyres has worn.

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by kingreign(m): 9:53am On Aug 16, 2020
soloehis:
I can relate to this..the cars I bought from Germany both has 2010 summer tyres that looks like brandnew..my contact in Germany said that there is no such thing as expiring date for tyres..they only check if the tyres has worn.

Your contact in Germany is not an authority in cars tyres, he just spoke ignorantly (no pun intended). All tyres made of rubber for road going vehicle have expiry dates.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:49am On Aug 16, 2020
David50:

3 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by DelTel(m): 12:49pm On Aug 16, 2020
The tyre matter is same for all products in Nigeria.

I used to do logistics for Dunlop Nigeria and they pay with tyres.

I had never thought I would ever buy or use Tokunbo tyre until Dunlop left Nigeria.

I changed to Maxxis initially until it got out of reach, then to KingRun, DoubleKing etc. So called brand new tyre won't last 3months, most annoying was I bought 4 tyres prior to Akure trip and I had to buy toks on the road, not once, but twice!

Sadly, I joined the Tokunbo tyre Gazzuz-geng March 2018 (from a new tyre seller).

I can categorically tell you that 95% of new tyres in Nigeria are substandard, fake, refurbished or expired before entry and/or on the shelf! (I know some of the importers at Alaba, Festac, Oregun, Oba Akran etc).

I have met big men at the airport carrying 2 tyres checked-in as their only luggage. I know people that buy 2-4tyres in containers loading from the Abroad.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by soloehis(m): 1:32pm On Aug 16, 2020
kingreign:

Your contact in Germany is not an authority in cars tyres, he just spoke ignorantly (no pun intended). All tyres made of rubber forgive road going vehicle have expiry dates.
what if you are the ignorant one?I can send you a link where second hand tyres and other used things are sold in Germany..when it comes to tyres they lay emphasis on thread of tyres..and the tyres are not for export
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by kingreign(m): 2:02pm On Aug 16, 2020
soloehis:
what if you are the ignorant one?I can send you a link where second hand tyres and other used things are sold in Germany..when it comes to tyres they lay emphasis on thread of tyres..and the tyres are not for export

I see you feel hurt and you're taking it personal. It's such a shame that you really need re-orientation but I don't have such luxury of time to teach you. I'd leave you to wallow in your ignorance.

Next time, do your home work before quoting me.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by soloehis(m): 2:39pm On Aug 16, 2020
kingreign:

I see you feel hurt and you're taking it personal. It's such a shame that you really need re-orientation but I don't have such luxury of time to teach you. I'd leave you to wallow in your ignorance.

Next time, do your home work before quoting me.
you can make your point without being abusive..all over the world five to six years is given while Michelin states their tires have a 10 year maximum life span and should be replaced at that point regardless of wear. A 2010 Michelin is still in use in Germany but u cant use even 2015 in nigeria..get your understanding right before coming all out as if we are fighting. The way you express your views speaks volumes of your personality

14 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by kingreign(m): 3:08pm On Aug 16, 2020
soloehis:
you can make your point without being abusive..all over the world five to six years is given while Michelin states their tires have a 10 year maximum life span and should be replaced at that point regardless of wear. A 2010 Michelin is still in use in Germany but u cant use even 2015 in nigeria..get your understanding right before coming all out as if we are fighting. The way you express your views speaks volumes of your personality

Highlight the part of my comments where I insulted you or shut the hell up!

I think you have comprehension, personality and attitude issues. Go work on yourself.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by soloehis(m): 10:04pm On Aug 16, 2020
kingreign:

Highlight the part of my comments where I insulted you or shut the hell up!

I think you have comprehension, personality and attitude issues. Go work on yourself.
if being rude and disrespectful makes you feel good about your self ,continue...best wishes

6 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by willian10: 1:27am On Aug 17, 2020
I just buy new random tyres from a company
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by EgunMogaji2: 3:58am On Aug 17, 2020
soloehis:

In California we don’t check tires, just intake and exhaust.

If one gets into an accident then the opposing party will surely look at tires.

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by EgunMogaji2: 4:07am On Aug 17, 2020
Mr. Lexus owner, if you don’t care about your life, please consider the life of your innocent passengers and other road users.

Next thread is “I was robbed on 3mb while changing my flat tire” or “Motorist injured while changing flat tire on the side of the road“.

Nigeria is harsh enough already, why add to the palava?

Suck it up, go and buy brand new Michelin/Firestone/Bridgestone/Dunlop and call it a day.

Let the devil be ashamed as you oppress in your Lexus.

4 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by DelTel(m): 7:39am On Aug 17, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
Mr. Lexus owner, if you don’t care about your life, please consider the life of your innocent passengers and other road users.

Next thread is “I was robbed on 3mb while changing my flat tire” or “Motorist injured while changing flat tire on the side of the road“.

Nigeria is harsh enough already, why add to the palava?

Suck it up, go and buy brand new Michelin/Firestone/Bridgestone/Dunlop and call it a day.

Let the devil be ashamed as you oppress in your Lexus.

From where?

Most of them are either expired or old, and a new date super-imposed. I see companies buying them with connivance by Admins staff!

IfYouKnowYouKnow.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by adanny01(m): 9:38am On Aug 17, 2020
kingreign:

Your contact in Germany is not an authority in cars tyres, he just spoke ignorantly (no pun intended). All tyres made of rubber for road going vehicle have expiry dates.

In fact, anything rubber or plastic expires. Only that they don't have exact expiry dates. That's what even the manufacturer cannot tell you so they put the production date and you follow a safe maintenance guideline from say 5yrs to a maximum of 10yrs. Beyond, 10yrs no tire can be guaranteed even if it never touched the ground. Still this doesn't mean it has expired.

You can see a brand new 2009 tire which doesn't look expired, but when you start using it, it detoriates very rapidly within a month.

4 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by soloehis(m): 10:01am On Aug 17, 2020
adanny01:

In fact, anything rubber or plastic expires. Only that they don't have exact expiry dates. That's what even the manufacturer cannot tell you so they put the production date and you follow a safe maintenance guideline from say 5yrs to a maximum of 10yrs. Beyond, 10yrs no tire can be guaranteed even if it never touched the ground. Still this doesn't mean it has expired.

You can see a brand new 2009 tire which doesn't look expired, but when you start using it, it detoriates very rapidly within a month.
good one..well detailed write up

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by EgunMogaji2: 10:32am On Aug 17, 2020
DelTel:

From where?

Most of them are either expired or old, and a new date super-imposed. I see companies buying them with connivance by Admins staff!

IfYouKnowYouKnow.

All the 8 Firestone’s that I have bought are fresh.

IKnowBecauseIKnow
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by DelTel(m): 11:18am On Aug 17, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

All the 8 Firestone’s that I have bought are fresh.

IKnowBecauseIKnow

grin where you get this one from ooo.

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by EgunMogaji2: 11:52am On Aug 17, 2020
DelTel:

grin where you get this one from ooo.

I be original content creator grin

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by bendovex: 8:02pm On Aug 17, 2020
kingreign:

That nonsense tyre that is very uneven and doesn't get balanced no matter what you do in trying to balance the tyre?
Exactly. I bought 4 brand new Sunfull tires early this year, one of them developed a big bulge last month, I changed it. I just noticed that another one has worn out terribly, will soon change it. Anything China tire is not for me anymore.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by dominic17: 10:09pm On Aug 17, 2020
I would suggest new tires because I have been using maxxis bought over three years ago regularly without having any issue at all. not even a leak as a matter of fact,I have never used my spare tire.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by fabienjoe: 10:52pm On Aug 17, 2020
adanny01:

I think different posts on this subject are not necessarily contradicting one another. Tyre being vulcanised rubber, certainly degrades. But there seems to be no consensus on the exact date it 'expires'..like you see in drugs and foods. The 4 years from date of manufacture fixed by FRSC is ridiculous and has no scientific basis. The western world is mostly concerned with the depth of the thread and not the age of the tyres...and yes, most of the tyres are made by them..So if they consider the age of tyres as such a big issue or if they have recorded more accidents from tyres of certain age, it should certainly be included in the regulations, but that doesn't seem to be the case...Only Nigerian FRSC would explain how they arrived at the 4 year limit..

3 Likes

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by Emmyk(m): 1:55am On Aug 18, 2020
dominic17:
I would suggest new tires because I have been using maxxis bought over three years ago regularly without having any issue at all. not even a leak as a matter of fact,I have never used my spare tire.
I got 4 maxxis about 4 weeks ago. I hope they serve me that long too. smiley
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by uboma(m): 2:37am On Aug 18, 2020
id4sho:

Austone can twist & Double king can get bulge.
my present double king got 3 bulge on Front Right tyre. just using it strictly city driving

Wow.

I used to think that Austone was a good one from the low budget tyres.
Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by nymphomaniac(m): 7:01am On Aug 18, 2020
uboma:

Wow.

I used to think that Austone was a good one from the low budget tyres.
how Can’t you even see the name? It’s a rip off from Bridgestone and Firestone by one Austine from Nnewi or Ilesha

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by dominic17: 6:10pm On Oct 25, 2020
Emmyk:

I got 4 maxxis about 4 weeks ago. I hope they serve me that long too. smiley

It all depends on maintenance, make sure you don't over inflate it. check the gauge at least once in a month if the pressure is low, pump it to the recommended pressure. I wish you the best

1 Like

Re: Between China And Tokunbo Tyres. by Emmyk(m): 7:24am On Oct 26, 2020
dominic17:

It all depends on maintenance, make sure you don't over inflate it. check the gauge at least once in a month if the pressure is low, pump it to the recommended pressure. I wish you the best

Gotcha. I always tell the vulkanizer to pump them to 34psi. He always say they are too low, but I ignore him all the time.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres / Honda's Mean Mower Is Set To Become The World’s Fastest Lawnmower / Getting An International Driving Licence In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.