Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,836 members, 7,802,675 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:38 PM

Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings (601 Views)

How A Female Nairalander Celebrated Her Son's 5th Birthday In A Warri Level. / This Is How Christmas Is Celebrated In Some Polygamous Homes / "Divorce Should Be Celebrated, Its Rise Is A Good Thing" - Nkechi Bianze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by GreenAgain: 10:21am On Aug 16, 2020
Should getting a divorce make you this happy?

It seems that while previous generations may have considered divorce a failure, something to be ashamed of, it is now regarded by many as an occasion to be marked in much the same way as a wedding – with a cake carrying a far from the uplifting message.

Like so many trends, it originated in the U.S., where for several years, divorces have been celebrating the end of their marriages with icing brides and grooms being massacred on fancy cakes. Britain bakers are reporting a growing number of requests for sugary representations of carnage between husbands and wives.

One of such bakers, Fay Miller said she’d been commissioned to make tongue-in-cheek creations in which a bride is pushing a groom, or vice-versa, off a cake. “I’ve turned down others that seemed to be vindictive”, she said.

“A woman asked me to ice a cake with `F*** you, Gary’, but I refused. I did make one cake featuring bride stirring blood soup beside a pie with a foot sticking out of it because that seemed like a bit of fun”.

When Alice, a mother of nine-year-old twins was dumped by her husband of 15 years for another woman much younger than she is, she said: “I cried for three days and went through every emotion imaginable – anger, sadness, disbelief.

When everything was finalised, I started planning a divorce party – a friend of a friend had one a couple of years before and my friends talked me into doing the same – and a cake seemed like the perfect centerpiece. I wanted to mark the end of what had been a terrible time and thank everyone for helping me through it. Also, it was a great opportunity to let my hair down”.

Naturally, Grey, her ex saw things differently. “I wasn’t happy at all”, he said. “What man would be, seeing a graveyard with `RIP Greg’ and other insults on tombstones? I told myself, `If that’s her way of getting over it, so be it. I didn’t say anything at the time or object to our nine-year-old twins being at the party because I didn’t want to do or say anything that might affect my chances of seeing them. But I don’t think it could have been healthy for them to see those insults about me, their dad”.

According to child psychologist Dr. Jack Boyle, “When warring parents say `I hate you, I wish you were dead’, it is upsetting for children, who don’t want to get caught up in the hostility because they love both parents.

A graveyard scene, even mean as a joke, would be interpreted by children in the same way as such insults”.

When Helen’s divorce was granted a couple of years ago, she celebrated with two divorce cakes … courtesy of a close friend who runs a confectionery shop. According to Helen: “On top of one of the cakes was a groom whose tackle had been sliced off with a bloodied knife.

The second was a two-tier cake of which the bride was pushing the groom from the top lawyer into a sharp infested waters beneath. It didn’t seem in bad taste at the time, it looked like a bit of fun and after all, I’d been through, I felt I deserved that.

“I had a great time on the night, but with hindsight, I realised I was floating around in a sea of anti-depressants and I had a bit of breakdown afterward. I had lost my marriage, my hopes and dreams for the future, and my home”.

According to the psychologist: “Divorcees may feel that having a celebration at the end of their marriage, as they did a the beginning, is a way of marking the end of the relationship, so they can put it behind them, but it may be a sign they are stuck in the past. `If you’re re-rooted in the past and constantly thinking about your ex, having a cake to mark your divorce may be a sign you’re moving forward with your life.

Take Alice’s case for instance. Even though her distress at her husband cheating is understandable, one can only hope she’s right in her assumption that her young twins were oblivious to the macabre messages on her divorce cake. Otherwise, sweet though they were, these blocks of icing shaped like tombstones with their father’s name etched on them could leave a nasty taste in their moths in yeas to come”.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/08/should-getting-a-divorce-make-you-this-happy/
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by Ofemmanu1: 10:24am On Aug 16, 2020
Hehehehe.

Women no dey shame.
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by Oldoinyolengai(m): 10:32am On Aug 16, 2020
So seems like the only assured way to avoid divorce is by avoiding marriage

God forbid!
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by yanabasee1(m): 10:32am On Aug 16, 2020
I even saw somewhere, a divorce party now becoming a trend.

God, please don't give me a woman that will make me to have a divided home.

1 Like

Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by johnkey: 11:19am On Aug 16, 2020
Baby mama all the way, I nack you belle, you breastfeed my baby for one year, I collect my baby by crook or by hook send to my mama, I carry my baby when he\she is 5 to live happily ever after, my pikin must play ball boy or girl.
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by Ugaboy: 12:41pm On Aug 16, 2020
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by SageMK: 1:57pm On Aug 16, 2020
And why shouldn't they celebrate??

1 Like

Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by Unnerve: 2:50pm On Aug 16, 2020
Divorce is just a fancy word for failed marriage.

Anyone who goes about celebrating failure, is either mediocre or a mediocre... pun intended

2 Likes

Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by cooooooks(m): 11:35pm On Aug 16, 2020
Divorce is not fun. Staying in unfulfilling marriages is also tetrible.

Get it right the first time. Marry right. Marry with purpose. Marry someone you love. Marry your best friend.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by faithfull18(f): 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2020
johnkey:
Baby mama all the way, I nack you belle, you breastfeed my baby for one year, I collect my baby by crook or by hook send to my mama, I carry my baby when he\she is 5 to live happily ever after, my pikin must play ball boy or girl.
Be deceiving yourself. You think those who live such lives are happy
Re: Divorce Are Now Celebrated As Weddings by johnkey: 12:13am On Aug 17, 2020
faithfull18:

Be deceiving yourself. You think those who live such lives are happy
who are you to choose what makes others happy? look at your calendar in case you forgot it's not 1960

(1) (Reply)

Frustrated! / Story: The Girl Who Went Home But Didn't Go Home / Motherless Home To Visit.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.