Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Benin influence on yorubas part 2 - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin influence on yorubas part 2 (2287 Views)

The Ijebu, The Yoruba And Their Influence On The Bible And Judaism / Benin Influence On Yorubas / How Islam Came Into Yoruba Land And It's Influence On Their Culture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2020
AreaFada2:

Maybe grandchild. Oba Akenzua's daughter married a Yoruba man.

Remember that Obas and Benin chiefs/nobility were routinely given brides by royal and noble families of other tribes.
Esan particularly produced many queens in Benin. Women from Eastern Yorubaland were many. So necessarily some kids from those upper class inter-tribal marriages bore and still bear Yoruba names.

Davido's late mother from Benin was called Imade. He named his daughter after his mum. We have Imade College in Owo too.

Several Benin names have being Yorubanised such as Okubor. Over time people start calling it Tokunbor, a Yoruba name they are familiar with.

[s]Dim Ojukwu once said that growing up in Lagos and being fluent in Yoruba, Yoruba people would try correcting his name as being Ojikutu. Because they thought he was Yoruba![/s]

Benin was an empire and we were used to different names and peoples. Benin City was the Lagos of those days. People went to sell their skills and try their luck.

Historically, the centers/capitals of empires were so: Athens, Rome, Memphis/Egypt, Baghdad, Constantinople, Babylon, etc.

You have one problem and that's what I don't like about you. You must find a way to slip others into this Bini/Yoruba history.
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by AreaFada2: 10:39pm On Aug 19, 2020
MelesZenawi:

You have one problem and that's what I don't like about you. You must find a way to slip others into this Bini/Yoruba history.
So your problem is that I mentioned an Igbo person. That the story is true as told by Ikemba himself and relevant in this context doesn't enter your coconut head. grin cheesy

Na wa for you o.

You that carry matter of other tribes on your head like gala and lacasera don't want anybody to mention Igbo. You must be Nairaland resident comedian. Mr Ibu of Nairaland. grin grin
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Edeyoung: 10:26pm On Oct 07, 2020
K
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Merciful71(m): 2:17am On Oct 10, 2020
Yoruba should ignore the Edo like they never exist. Yoruba are miles ahead, it could be hurting though. Try and understand
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 3:20am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
Nairaland forum u r using was Bini man that programmed it now

More than 20% of Edo population from Akoko edos to Bini and Esan bears Yoruba names. These Yoruba names must be Igodomigodo names like u believe..omutin

Go to anywhere or parts of Yoruba land from Kogi, Kwara, Niger, Lagos, Osun, Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti, Ogun and republic of Benin Yorubas to spill that rubbish from your maggot infested mouths that "Oba came from Benin" you will only ended up being beaten like a drum and no single Yoruba, Igala, Itsekiris will even subscribe to that.

Why don't u ask these Edo people that bears Yoruba names about their origins.. Most of them will tell you their origin is Edo, just like most Yoruba Obas also trace their origin to Edo.
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 3:21am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
Mention a single Yoruba land that is being controlled by the Edos?from your write ups?

You mean presently of historically? is Nigeria still ruled by Britain?
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:25am On Oct 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Why don't u ask these Edo people that bears Yoruba names about their origins.. Most of them will tell you their origin is Edo, just like most Yoruba Obas also trace their origin to Edo.
Their origin was traced to Yorubas in Edos go and learn history.
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 3:31am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Non of our land is controlled by any Edo...since your 3 million are warriors you can come and cross boundary now...then you will no chestbeating nor b for mouth

Bini and Esan are not threat to us at all

But you agree that Great Benin kingdom of Edo people once conquered and ruled the Yorubas for over 700years..
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 3:41am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Their origin was traced to Yorubas in Edos go and learn history.

abeg stop lying.. Akoko Edo is not Yoruba.
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:41am On Oct 10, 2020
davidnazee:

But you agree that Great Benin kingdom of Edo people once conquered and ruled the Yorubas for over 700years..
Great Yoruba community u mean? Are the ones that moved out.
Beside they never conquered or fought a single war.
Mention the town
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:52am On Oct 10, 2020
davidnazee:

abeg stop lying.. Akoko Edo is not Yoruba.
Then what is "Akoko" doing in the name?
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:53am On Oct 10, 2020
Uselu used to be a Yoruba settlement in Benin
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 4:49am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:

Then what is "Akoko" doing in the name?

what does Akoko mean in Yoruba?
In Edo it means to gather or group together.. And historically most of the Akoko towns were founded by Edo warriors mostly during the years of Benin invasions of Eastern Yoruba. these present Akoko towns were mostly settlements where the yoruba captives were resettled by the Edo warriors after their towns and villages were destroyed by the Edo warriors..

2 Likes

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by davidnazee: 4:51am On Oct 10, 2020
Onijagidijagan:
Uselu used to be a Yoruba settlement in Benin

only Uselu in the whole of Edo areas.. many towns in Yoruba lands used to be Edo settlements..
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 12:04pm On Oct 11, 2020
Edeyoung:

Lol, i love it wen you say small village, it makes us proud just a pop less than 3 million defeated a pop of 20mill,
Nawa, ooh u suppose shame dey call us village m

Stop pin pointing to benin ife myth, i wilk be d last person u will tell it to on earth

Mugu....... Yoruba people nor get sense, una plenty like poultry but no sense....

I dey imagine say we get yoruba population, una go still dey get mouth call us village, that village you peeps are focing urself to attach too

The picture below is Oged ngbe Agbogungboro the Ijesha Warlord.

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Edeyoung: 12:15pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

The same Benin Ogedenbe (Ijesha Warlord) wanted to attack before he was begged by Oba during Yoruba civil war.

The same Ogedenbe was beheaded by Ibadan warriors and headless body picked up the head and fixed it back; he was later captured

For only Ijesha to threaten Benin, what happens if United Yoruba army does same?

Are listening to your foolishness, my god, you beg a warrior to leave your land, and he obeys, then that warriors was originally a coward or you're telling a false history

Mugu stop reading yoruba media report read from renowned source

Ogendegbe was begged to leave edo state and he just agree,

1 Like

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2020
Edeyoung:

Are listening to your foolishness, my god, you beg a warrior to leave your land, and he obeys, then that warriors was originally a coward or you're telling a false history

Mugu stop reading yoruba media report read from renowned source

Ogendegbe was begged to leave edo state and he just agree,

jj
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 12:33pm On Oct 11, 2020
bhhh
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Edeyoung: 12:36pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

Who was the coward? Oba of Benin or Ogedengbe? Are you a slowpoke? Ogedenbe was handsomely rewarded for agreeing not to attack Benin.

With what
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 12:44pm On Oct 11, 2020
Edeyoung:

With what

This should help you

http://ogedengbe.com/9702/index.html
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Oct 11, 2020
You can even say the photo is fake.

I can give you the photo of Oba of Benin when he ran away[b][/b] from palace after the Invasion by the British.

We keep records
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Edeyoung: 1:41pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

This should help you

http://ogedengbe.com/9702/index.html

Are you high....

Dont you have your sense.... I want you to answer me directly i want to fool you before i point out the correct history to you

Oya answer

With what... Did benin beg dem with

1 Like

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Edeyoung: 1:47pm On Oct 11, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

Who was the coward? Oba of Benin or Ogedengbe? Are you a slowpoke? Ogedenbe was handsomely rewarded for agreeing not to attack Benin.

You make me laugh.... You reeck of illiteracy because you read one article that appease to your tribal ego, then you start presenting it as fact.....

Oba of benin begged ogendegbe who does that
Tell that to your children and they will mock you

Mugu... Beg

U dey hear yourself

1 Like

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2020
Edeyoung:

You make me laugh.... You reeck of illiteracy because you read one article that appease to your tribal ego, then you start presenting it as fact.....

f

Mr. Literate, tell us what transpired between Ogedengbe and your Oba
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 11, 2020
Edeyoung:

Are you high....

Dont you have your sense.... I want you to answer me directly i want to fool you before i point out the correct history to you

Oya answer

You have .

With what... Did benin beg dem with

You have comprehension challenge. You read the article andNd you could not pick out items used to appease him with or you're just too lazy to read?
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Etinosa1234: 2:25am On Oct 12, 2020
Edeyoung:

Mugu... Beg

U dey hear yourself

Since we are posting our own side of the story

http://edoworld.net/Oba_Adolo.html

1 Like

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 12, 2020
This is the resting place of all the Obas of Benin right there Ile Ife. Facts don't lie, you can visit there. it's called Orun Oba Ado and it's still there till today. You can say it's fake o.

The tradition of burying the heads of dead Benin Obas in Ile Ife was stopped just to erase history.

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 12, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Since we are posting our own side of the story

http://edoworld.net/Oba_Adolo.html
hh
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Etinosa1234: 3:55pm On Oct 12, 2020
Mrbillionaire:

You people shook hands with Ogedengbe and Ogboriefon and they went back from attacking Benin and nothing changed hands. Silver and other valuables were given to the warlords from Ijesha and Ibadan respectively.

Ogedengbe that conquered Akoko and other cities and heading to Benin before he was bribed with valuables.

An Army is advancing towards you and all you do is meet the commandant and, shake hands with him; and he orders his soldiers to go back home.

Mehn, you people are proud
Me:Mrbillionaire.. why is ur story true
Mrbillionaire: because ogedengbe.com says it true
Me: is it the same ogedengbe that was beheaded and picked his back from the ground and put it back
Mrbillionaire: yes Na, believe me... I nor dey lie

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2020
[quote author=Etinosa1234 post=94870380]
Me:Mrbillionaire.. why is ur story true
Mrbillionaire: because ogedengbe.com says it true
Me: is it the same ogedengbe that was beheaded and picked his back from the ground and put it back
Mrbillionaire: yes Na, believe me... I nor dey lie[/quot
Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by gregyboy(m): 9:49am On Oct 13, 2020
Mrbillionaire:
This is the resting place of all the Obas of Benin right there Ile Ife. Facts don't lie, you can visit there. it's called Orun Oba Ado and it's still there till today. You can say it's fake o.

The tradition of burying the heads of dead Benin Obas in Ile Ife was stopped just to erase history.

Lol, it seems you skipped the previous pages if not you wont be using this as a point, wherein that Etinosa1234 clearly on the first page made it know yorubas was a political movitavated move to bind all yoruba into one ancestory ife

Ife myth birthed by Samuel johson the first yoruba historian who happened to be an oyo man
Who was taken as slave to England

To further point your claim arun oba ado was wrong

Ado wasnt the name called benin in 1100 which the falsified myth between benin-ife had to have happened the name ado came much much later around late 15 century, so why is the name ado, been addressed by ife, when it came much much later

Funny guy stop spreading the benin political staged myth, visit my profile for more details before you embarrassed yourself

2 Likes

Re: Benin influence on yorubas part 2 by Nobody: 3:54am On Oct 15, 2020
@Gregyboy
Forget about Ado Benin whatever. Were the heads of deceased Oba of Benin used to be cut off and taken to Ile Ife for burial?

Second, The two empires then were Oyo and Benin empires; so the Oyo used to address the Benin as Ado e.g Ado Ekiti because the Benin empire was once dominant in Ekitiland.

Though 'Yoruba' is just a coinage from the Hausa used to address people under the old Oyo Empire; they all still came from Ile Ife with the exception of Ijebus; Ijebus are good friends to Oduduwa descendants and have become part of them; that's why you'd hear Ijebu -Ijesa, Ijebu-Owu, Ijebu-Remo etc.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Congolese VS Ivorians(cote Iviore) VS Cameroonians / Ijaw People Are From Sudan? / Being American In Nigeria Is Hard.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.