Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,275 members, 7,780,618 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:43 PM

Black Orchid - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Orchid (12695 Views)

An Orchid In The Orchad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Orchid by Oremeyii(f): 8:41pm On Oct 15, 2020
So I finally saw the mention after so long, thanks Anna2012

Love the style of writing, it's so easy to flow with. We get the description of the school campus even though we've never been there, that's the quality of a good author
Thanks syluck!

2 Likes

Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 4:32pm On Oct 22, 2020
It's as though I missed the saturday update considering this is thursday. Hope you still know we are here Syluck? Good evening
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 10:38am On Oct 23, 2020
enirock:
It's as though I missed the saturday update considering this is thursday. Hope you still know we are here Syluck? Good evening
I know. I will update sooner than later I promise. A lot has been going on lately in the country and I'm seriously pained. angry
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 11:13am On Oct 24, 2020
CHAPTER 7

My elder sister came back two days later. She was looking all pretty and fleshy with no iota of a strenuous life. That got me wondering if the "stress" she talked about was a different stress I knew.

"Ami, congratulations on your completion of your national service." I said with a smile on my face.

"Thank you, Ebere." She said, with a grin that showed her lovely dimples.

"Look at how big and fat you look. Your chest even added."

"That's the only thing you know," She laughed.

"I'm sure your Marcus Rashford is treating you better" I whispered.

"Who is Marcus Rashford?" Papa asked, out of nowhere. We turned and saw him behind us. Oh man! I thought.

"A footballer." I answered.

"Which club?"

"Manchester United."

"Is he the one that misses one-on-one with goalkeepers?"

"Yes, Papa," I said. Amaka was beside me grinning.

"Why then did he not miss Amaka?" He asked.

The question took seconds before we understood what he meant. This made Amaka and I laugh when we realized what he said. He knew the Rashford we were talking about wasn't the Rashford I was explaining to him.

"When I get back, you two will explain to me who this Marcus Rashford is," He said and left for a meeting.

He had earlier gone for his lecture and came back to the house before I did. School was boring for me; I had a lecture and a test. Tomi and I sat together during the test and did our magic. Sandra didn't come to school because her supposed class was cancelled. I had to get home before 1pm to anticipate the homecoming of Amaka.

"That man has still not changed," Amaka said, smiling and nodding her head.

"Swears. Always wanting to hear that rotten gist" I said.

I have heard a lot of stories about Papa when he lectures. He didn't teach me even when we borrowed an Accounting course in my first year. He taught the 3rd year and final year students in the Accounting department same with my head of department. This got me wondering if it was rule and must that all Head of Department should teach only the third years and final years leaving out the first years and second years. Effiong, a final year Accounting student that lived in our street would narrate how Papa lectures.

"Your father is something else. He talks too much. He will use relationship examples to explain some of his definitions. What concerns a boyfriend giving his girlfriend money with collateral, expenditures, debentures, assets, liabilities and so on? But one thing for sure is that one can never get bored in his class and he teaches so well. Your father is an amazing lecturer. We do enjoy his class"

Nne came back from her shop and was extremely excited and happy for the safe arrival of her daughter. She thanked God for her successful completion of service, journey mercies and for good health. I watched as mother and daughter bonded happily. Nne prepared Amaka's favourite 'ofe onugbu' bitter leaf soup as a part of her congratulatory message. Papa joined us in the dinning after taking his shower when he came back from his meeting.

"It's so ironic that a bitter leaf soup that is meant to be bitter and sour is rather tasting too sugary, all thanks to my lovely wife" Papa said.

The dining table was made from a mahogany wood. The table had six chairs guiding it. Two chairs at the first horizontal side of the table, the other two at the other side. The two remaining chairs were at each part of the vertical side of the table. Papa sat at the right vertical side of the table from the horizontal part where I was seated. Amaka sat to my left closer to Nne who sat the other vertical part of the table. Closer to the door leading to the kitchen was a tall refrigerator.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 11:24am On Oct 24, 2020
"Here we go again," I said.

"Boy, allow me to have my say in my house. I won't be there to disturb you when you start salivating over your wife's bosom" He said and we all laughed.

"Nne, please where did you find this man from?" Amaka asked.

"Seriously, I don't know," Nne replied. We all laughed except for Papa who grinned and said.

"At least you still married a man you have no idea where you found him from. My children, learn from your mother." He said and we all laughed again.

"Oyo'm, can you please allow us to eat in peace without the need for your mouth to do the talking" Nne begged.

"Okay o. I've heard you" He said. Just when we thought he had given up, he said.

"Ugo’m, your daughter now watches football. She knows a lot about footballers now. Ebere had to mention that Marcus Rashford, a Manchester United player takes care of her". Papa never hid anything from Nne. We sometimes wonder if he was the man actually. I sat watching him awfully.

"Marcus Rashford? Football?" Nne asked with a confused look and turned to Amaka.

Contrary to what Papa said, we all knew that Amaka hated watching football. She only supported Chelsea FC because of the name, Papa, Ebuka and not because she liked or watched them. She would always ask me what Chelsea scored when I talk about football with Ebuka and Tomi.

"Nne, please don't mind him. That's not his name" Amaka said.

"Oh, so nna gi is actually telling the truth," Nne said and we laughed. "So, what's his name?" Nne asked.

"Elvis."

"Elvis what?"

"Elvis Ogbonna". Amaka said.

I saw Nne make a sigh of relief. Nne would always say she wanted all of us to marry from our Igbo tribe. She would further explain that she was not trying to be tribalistic or so, but that she just wanted us to continue with the true Igbo lineage just like she and Papa did and not the other way around. Papa believes that since we all grew up in a place not our hometown, he wouldn't be surprised if we decided to marry someone not from our tribe or place and certainly won't have issues with it. Nne would always try to persuade him from it but he always remained adamant.

"This Elvis of a boy, what does he do?" Papa asked.

"He's a Team leader Accountant in Airtel Nigeria in Abuja." Amaka answered.

Papa smiled. He loved it whenever ‘Account’ was being mentioned. Elvis happened to be Amaka's third boyfriend since she started dating after
Secondary school, these I had been counting.

"Chiamaka," Papa said, calmly.

"Yes, Papa." She answered

"I want to use this medium to congratulate you on your NYSC completion. You have done extremely well. You have made your mother and I proud including your siblings. You have also made yourself proud and happy because it's what you ever wanted. Being a Chemical engineer and finishing your Youth service, I can remember vividly when you said that to your mother and I. That should be in your SS1 right?” He asked.

"Yes," Amaka answered.

"Now it has come to reality. It's a big win. As your father, I will go the extra mile to see that you work in one of the biggest chemical engineering companies or further your education in case you want to. You have my word. Congratulations once again and expect a big celebration for this big achievement." He concluded, before eating again.

"Thank you, Papa," Amaka said amidst her teary eyes. Nne's eyes too was teary. I smiled when Nne cleaned Amaka's teary eyes. Papa was all about his food till when he said.

"Ebere, that girl of yours you took my car to impress during the school's matriculation, what's her name? The question took me unawares as all eyes stared at me. Only Amaka knew her name.

"Sandra," I answered.

"Do you have something for her?" He asked.

"Yes Sir, I do," I answered.

"Wait, what about that girl called Itoro?" Nne asked.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 11:31am On Oct 24, 2020
Nne never showed interest in my relationship with Itoro. She would always talk me out of impregnating a girl till I'm ready to settle down and warned that if I go against her advice and impregnate any girl, then I should be ready to sponsor the child's well-being and the mother myself.

"I guess they are no more together" Papa said.

"Chai, these 21'st century kids." Nne exclaimed! "So, this Sandra is your number what girlfriend?" She asked.

I laughed. I was never ready to tell them that Sandra was the fifth girlfriend.

"I think it should be the number five girl," Nne answered herself.

I was perplexed at her fine guess.

"You think I don't know? You think I don't know when you would always use the home phone to call Oluchi at night during your secondary school, when you used to talk to profess your love to her? Then Blessing, when you were on your computer training? Unwana and Itoro, now there is Sandra?" She asked. Everyone was shocked at this revelation by her not because it was about me but because it was about her knowing that such a thing about me happened.

"Your mother surprises me every day," Papa said.

"Ebere, you really need to be careful with all this you're doing. You are just 19 years-" Nne said.

"20 years, Ma" I interrupted her.

"Bia, is August not your birthday? You are still 19 until your birthday". She said.

Amaka and Papa had stopped eating and were listening.

"Just within 3 years, you have had over 4 girlfriends. They have all been in this house. But you think I don't know? Whatever happened, I don't want to know. Imagine at 19 you have had 5 girlfriends, when you're 29, how many will it be? 10? 14? 15? 29?" Nne blurted.

Amaka was busy laughing while Papa twisted his face watching the drama between Nne and I.

"Nne, Sandra is different from others". I said.

"Different how? Is she from Igbo?"

"No, Calabar."

"Then there's no difference. She is not Igbo so it makes no difference. Jisike". Nne said, urging me to keep it up ironically.

"Nne, biko jidezie ya nwayo," Papa said, begging her to go easy on me.

"This is what you always say when I try to talk to these children," Nne said, taking it out on Papa.

"Oyo'm, biko I'm sorry for interrupting" Papa pleaded.

"No, you shouldn't be sorry, rather you should help me talk to this boy. This girlfriend changing like the girls are baby diapers does not worth it, besides he's just 19. I can still remember when you warned him against this. What happened to breaking a girl's heart your father told you years back? Nne asked me.

The tension already had gone from the joyful, tearful, congratulatory mood to a mixed feeling one. Nne was really good at swinging moods.

"Ma, I've never done that. I've always been the victim." I defended myself.

"Just imagine. And you think this Sandra won't hurt you since you can't do it? Ebere, you still have a bright future ahead of you. Just don't let anything hinder you. I certainly don't see anything worth having a girlfriend now. It amounts to nothing except cuddling in the bed together, pleasuring each other and squandering your money."

"I really don't see Sandra as a sex object, she is more than that, I love her, Ma," I affirmed.

"Gosh! Is that not what you told Unwana, Blessing and Itoro? Is it not?” Nne asked.

Papa had finished his food and washed his hands watching our drama while Amaka was busy with her phone.

"But It's going to be different this time around," I said.

"I've never spoken to you about your relationship with girls before, I'm not against it. But you should know it's too early to be having one and changing the other. You need to focus on your future first. You won't hear me say this again. And I'm very sure that boy, Tomi is highly influencing you, turning you into something else and you are dragging Ebuka to it as well." She said and left the dinning.

I saw the look on Papa's face, he did not have that ‘son, rule your world’, he had that "listen to your mother". Amaka stared at me with no exact facial
definition, she left the table with Papa leaving me all alone. It was one of the days Nne and I argued over things. Had it been when I was still little, I would have been punished or spanked. I cleared the table before leaving for my room.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by Kaycee9242(m): 5:34pm On Oct 24, 2020
Nice one op, ur updates are very interesting

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by Khriztarl(f): 7:24pm On Oct 24, 2020
Geng geng. Ebere be careful o. Syluck welcome back.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 11:45pm On Oct 24, 2020
syluck:

I know. I will update sooner than later I promise. A lot has been going on lately in the country and I'm seriously pained. angry
I am sorry if I had sounded insensitive, it was just 'my way' of checking up on you. We continually hope that our actions, brings/yield the desired result. I don't think there's any Nigerian with a conscience who is not pained and disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 12:00am On Oct 25, 2020
Thanks for the updates. This Nne just gave his son what we call 'the talk'. Though all true, but somehow we(most guys) hate hearing it diluted or undiluted (and it leaves me wondering why). I don't think Tomi directly pushes him to relationships, but Tomi's actions/disposition towards relationship may rub off on him, albeit unconsciously.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 7:05am On Oct 25, 2020
enirock:
Thanks for the updates. This Nne just gave his son what we call 'the talk'. Though all true, but somehow we(most guys) hate hearing it diluted or undiluted (and it leaves me wondering why). I don't think Tomi directly pushes him to relationships, but Tomi's actions/disposition towards relationship may rub off on him, albeit unconsciously.
Wow. Thanks for this. But "Nne" means mother in Igbo. So no need to add "this" before it grin
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 3:45am On Oct 26, 2020
Deborah98, girl what's up? You were my first commenter but now I think you've ghosted me and this thread sad

Hope you're okay and safe?
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 3:47am On Oct 26, 2020
To you all as well, both the guests readers and ghost readers, hope y'all are okay and safe?
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 3:51am On Oct 26, 2020
To the special ones who makes me want to update no matter what by commenting always, I appreciate you all and thank you for always finding it easy to comment. I won't lie, I use to ghost too. It's not easy to be commenting on a story thread here on Nairaland. grin

Stay safe and be okay!!

Mr enirock, I salute you sir.
Re: Black Orchid by Ann2012(f): 5:43am On Oct 26, 2020
Thanks for the update
All what Nne said are truths nothing else.....

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by Deborah98(f): 8:54am On Oct 26, 2020
syluck:
Deborah98, girl what's up?
hey am very much fine, sorry I've been caught up with issues of life, thanks for checking up on me God bless, hope you are fine too?

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 8:43pm On Oct 26, 2020
syluck:
Wow. Thanks for this. But "Nne" means mother in Igbo. So no need to add "this" before it grin
Thanks boss.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 8:52pm On Oct 26, 2020
syluck:
To the special ones who makes me want to update no matter what by commenting always, I appreciate you all and thank you for always finding it easy to comment. I won't lie, I use to ghost too. It's not easy to be commenting on a story thread here on Nairaland. grin

Stay safe and be okay!!

Mr enirock, I salute you sir.
Sir I am obele nwa ooo. Thanks for the dedication too. Most times gathering your thoughts to form words is tedious, talkmore of writing/forming plot from scratch and trying to give it life. Thanks to you and those writers who stay dedicated and work to bring their piece to conclusion. You guys are the realest.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 1:49pm On Oct 27, 2020
I had 3 missed calls when I picked my phone from the charging point in my room. Sandra called twice while Ebuka called once. I decided firstly, to call Ebuka who hardly calls, to know why he called. He told me he made out again with the same Adaeze girl. He was happy, but I wasn't. When he asked me why, I told him it was Nne. He said,

"Nne can be annoying sometimes, but she's the best mother ever. Just drink up and tomorrow we all shall be happy again," He said, trying to uplift my mood.

"Thanks man I appreciate. Just be careful with that girl. Goodnight," I said.

"I am and I will. Goodnight" He said and hung up.

I called Sandra and when she noticed my mood, she asked about it and I told her it was a little bit of an agreement with my mother. She told me it was normal for every growing teenager across the world but I shouldn't worry much, that she’s still my mother. I thanked her. We didn't talk for long, we bid ourselves goodnight before hanging up. I didn't reply to Tomi's message or anybody’s. It was soothing more when Sandra said what she said.

CHAPTER 8

"Baby, how are you feeling?" Sandra asked me the next day in school. We sat on a slab behind the music department under a mango tree.

I smiled."I'm very okay".

Her cologne filled my nostril sending me into the world where I can feel no pain. A place where it was just Sandra and I. A world where I can kiss and cuddle Sandra all myself. A world where Sandra and I would be married and blessed with beautiful kids.

"What are you thinking of?" She asked, with a twist on her face as she stared at me.

"You". I said with a smile.

"I'm right with you".

"I know. So how was the test?".

"It was a bit easy and tough". She said with a grin.

"You know what this Sunday is right?".

She smiled. "14 February".

"So, what will you be doing? You can come to my place"

"Your place? You mean your parents’ house?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes" I chuckled.

"Now I know you're high" she said while laughing.

"My parents will be traveling this weekend".

"Even at that, I can't take the chances moreover your big sister is around". She said.

"Ok, can I come to your place?"

"To do what exactly, Mr lover boy" she teased.

"To be with my love all day and perhaps night". I said.

"Where will your parents be going?"

"To the village. They have this important traditional marriage they need to attend as a couple and as part of the Umunna and Umuada." I said and looked at her before I went on "My parents were crowned with the Ichie and Lolo title in my village the last time I went with them. I was about 12 years or so. It was a ceremonial occasion that had many events in it. I remember different types of masquerades performing. Food and drinks were everywhere, it was an occasion I won't ever forget. My parents are highly respected and recognised in our hometown. Papa is the vice chairman of the Umunna traditional people, while Nne is among the Umuada"

"Umunna and Umuada. Igbo people and titles ehhhh"

I laughed. "Calabar girl"

"Your parents own a house there, right?” She asked.

"Yes. A big one. Bigger than the one here. And it's a duplex," I said.

"This Coronavirus issue is getting worse," Sandra muttered.

"I heard it has affected many countries"

"I just hope it doesn't come to Nigeria". She said.

"It won't," I said optimistically. "So where are we meeting for the celebration?"

"Nowhere," She said and stood up.

"Where to?"

"Home"

"It's just 12pm"

"I have a movie program to catch up".

"Alright" I stood up.

We made a marathon race from where we were to the gate not minding the

"Kingston, shey na love u de play?" "No pursue that fine girl make she fall o"

"Ahbobi, why u de pursue that girl" "see these old fools wey de play love for school" shouts from people that I knew and people I knew not.

I escorted her to where she would board her keke to her place at Abak road. I've not been to her place yet, she only showed me the pictures of her room on WhatsApp.

"So where are we to meet this Sunday?" I asked again.

She looked at me as she sat inside the Keke waiting for the driver to accelerate and said "Your place" and then winked at me. That was the most beautiful wink I had ever received all my life. I smiled sheepishly as I watched the Keke drive into oblivion. I smiled, not minding the deadly looking conductor beside me with a bad alcoholic drench. I smiled, not minding the multiple eyes staring at me. I smiled happily, not minding the noisy busy road.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 1:54pm On Oct 27, 2020
I was at Tomi's gate when my phone rang. Ebuka called me.

"Ebi, how far". He said.

"I'm good. You?"

"I'm okay. Hope you are kicking and balling and at the same time, love brainwashing Sandra?". He asked.

I laughed and said "I'm doing all that."

"My birthday is on Sunday," He said.

"I know man, you want to come home?"

"I would have loved to, but since Nne and Papa won't be around, there's no need coming home. I spoke to Amaka already and she's okay with it". He said.

Ebuka never joked with his birthday, every year he made sure everyone related to him knew about it before the actual date. I would ask why he always does that, he said.

"Just for people to know and besides it's my birthday and I need gifts"

"I will do the subscriptions for you on your birthday" I promised.

"Thanks bro, I appreciate it. Okwa GoTV na Airtel o". Both GoTV and Airtel.

"Anugo’m" I’ve heard, I said and the line went dead. Maybe his airtime finished, I thought.

I went inside the compound to Tomi's lodge. Tomi didn't come to school, he said he was sick and asked me to write his name on the attendance sheet. I went to his place for two reasons. The first being, I wasn't ready to go home and the second to know how sick he was. I knocked at the door twice before it opened and I saw who I least expected. What was she doing here? Why was she putting on Tomi's Manchester United's jersey?
She opened the door and on seeing me closed it back immediately.

"Tomi, open the door for me" I said.

"Tomi is not at home". The female voice said.

"Where did he go?"

"To buy something".

"Okay, can I come inside?"

"No," the voice said.

I laughed "I've seen you already".

Just then I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw Tomi with a black nylon on his right hand. The spicy aroma of a grilled chicken swallowed my nose.

"Baba ooo". I hailed him, smiling.

"Wetin you de do here?" He asked. With a face like that of a kid caught in the act of stealing meat from a pot.

"How far, which kind stupid question be this? So, I no fit come your crib again?". I asked.

"Tomi, is that you?" The feminine voice said

"Yes, it's me" He replied.

"You for tell me say you de come na." Tomi said to me.

"You tell me say you no well yesterday, I come say mek I check on you today. Na bad thing?" I asked.

He shook his head and said. "Guy, you get wahala o".

Just then the door opened and I turned to see the female who was putting on Tomi's jersey in her own Black gown.

2 Likes

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:04pm On Oct 27, 2020
So who's this feminine voice undecided

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by Khriztarl(f): 2:05pm On Oct 27, 2020
Ebere's ex.
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:07pm On Oct 27, 2020
Khriztarl:
Ebere's ex.
hmmmm lipsrsealed
Re: Black Orchid by Khriztarl(f): 2:41pm On Oct 27, 2020
syluck:
hmmmm lipsrsealed
i guess.
Re: Black Orchid by enirock(m): 1:05am On Oct 28, 2020
I guess Sandra's friend.
Re: Black Orchid by Kaycee9242(m): 4:50pm On Oct 28, 2020
Nice one op
Re: Black Orchid by Khriztarl(f): 9:44pm On Oct 31, 2020
cry[sup][/sup] Syluck today's saturday ni.
Re: Black Orchid by Ann2012(f): 8:32am On Nov 01, 2020
Well done OP
Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:25pm On Nov 01, 2020
Just then the door opened and I turned to see the female who was putting on Tomi's jersey in her own Black gown.

"Hi, Lizzy," I said, smiling.

She didn't respond and went straight to sit on bed. A quick look at the dustbin by the door, I saw three used contraceptives, I smiled again. I went to sit on the plastic chair close to the window. Neither of them said anything as Tomi went to the kitchen to get some plates.

"So how was your day?" I asked Lizzy, my face still had that smile.

"I'm fine" she murmured, unable to look at my face. I wondered why. And again, I asked her how her day was not how she was. Tomi came in with the chicken laps and roasted plantain sliced in a plate. He placed them on the floor and went to his small fridge to fetch Hollandia yoghurt.

"I'm famished. Should I join?" I asked no one in particular. Tomi scrutinized me with a look that sent me laughing within.

"E be like say, you de craze" He finally said.

I laughed and joined them in desecrating the chicken and plantain. Elizabeth left after eating with us. Since the day I messed up with that question that made her walk out on me, we hardly spoke to each other. The only time I spoke to her was when I sat beside her, I asked her to adjust and later asked her for her notebook to copy what I didn't get properly. She lived in Abuja, and owned a lodge still at Tomi's street.

"So how many times has she been here?" I asked.

"Just once." He said.

"She came in yesternight right?"

"Yes. And stop asking me these questions bro."

"It's funny how you wanted me to ask Lizzy out and in just three weeks she is on your bed" I said.

"You have a girlfriend now, don't you?’ He asked.

"Are you seriously asking me that, Tomiwa?" I blurted out.

When last did I call him by that? I guess because I was annoyed. Not because he cheated on Ezinne or he slept with Lizzy but because of what Nne said. About how she thinks Tomi has been influencing my life. Tomi was just unlucky to receive the bad side of me.

"No, tell me, are seriously asking me that?"

He looked at me from his bed and said "Abeg".

"What about you Tomiwa, don’t you have a girlfriend? What's Ezinne to you? Or you feel she can't get hurt or feel the pain of you cheating on her?"

"How's that your business? " He retorted.

"You haven't answered my question, Guy" I said.

"I don't have time for this, please"

"I guess it's high time I stopped this bro code with you and start telling Ezinne of your constant frivolities."

"You wouldn't dare," He said.

"Care to bet?" I asked.

He scoffed and said "Well, you can go ahead and tell her. She will still come back to me, you know why? Because of money! You Igbos don't joke with that; she will come back begging me to have the taste of my money. Igbo people and money are just so comprehensive"

I was really pissed off with his remark. I forced a smile and said

"Like father, Like son".

I knew I shouldn't have said that but he left me with no choice. Tomi hated it to his bone marrow when someone compared him to his father using his father's infidelity as the hit point. His father wasn't just flirting and sleeping with ladies, his father owned a brothel that had many types of sexuality in it and he frequented it. His eyes suddenly turned red and swollen with a fiercely rage. He sat up and stared at me. His hands folded into a fist. I was expecting a punch or a push or anything that will make me feel hurt. I stood there with no idea of defending myself from whatever Tomi wanted to do. I saw his hands tremble; he was controlling the rage.

The last time I saw Tomi like this was in our SS3 first term. It was still about a girl. Asuquo messed up with his then girlfriend, Hosanna. Tomi warned him to stop messing with her, but Asuquo confronted him and said he wouldn't listen to someone whose father's sleep around town shamelessly. This got Tomi infuriated and he descended on the poor boy mercilessly. Tomi was suspended for a month just because of Papa's intervention. He would have been expelled. Tomi may have had a slim body statue, but he fought aggressively and I hated fighting.

"Ebere, get out!" He said with a fiercely look.

I scoffed, quietly took my cross bag and left.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:38pm On Nov 01, 2020
CHAPTER 9

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you..." Amaka sang for Ebuka as I sat on the sofa watching her.

It was Ebuka's birthday. It was 14 February.

"Thank you, Ami" I heard Ebuka say. Amaka had the phone on speaker.

"You're welcome. Have a nice day and eat very well. I will call the cake girl to deliver the cake to you," She said.

Amaka had worked out the cake gift with a cake baker through Facebook. The girl stayed in Owerri.

"I appreciate big sis. Is Ebere around?" He asked.

"Yes. He's even listening to you" She said, looking at me.

"Ebi." He shouted.

I smiled. "Happy birthday, my one and only brother," I replied.

I had earlier wished him birthday blessings on Facebook and WhatsApp as early as 1:20am both as a direct message or as status. Amaka did the same too.

"Thanks bro. You have tried. Don't forget my subscription."

"I won't," I said and left the parlour.

It had been three days since Tomi and I last spoke. Tomi and I didn't speak to each for the past three days, this stuff rarely happened. The last time it happened was about five years ago. It was about a particular subject, Commerce. It all started as an argument before it got heated up and turned into a fight. We fought in class, and I almost dislocated my ankle. Since that day I swore never to fight again and we didn't speak to each for two weeks. Daniel asked me what went on between Tomi and I on Friday after a lecture.

"Nothing," I said.

"Lies! You can't lie to me. I went to Tomi and he said what you just said. But I haven't seen the both of you talk to each other since today and it's 1pm already." He said.

"Bro, it's nothing, I swear" I said bluntly. The lecturer had just left, and we were seated doing nothing. Daniel left me to stand in front of the class.

"Class, please I need your attention" He began.

The rowdy class now became quiet.

"I want to use this opportunity to say I've never seen a day where two best friends will not talk to each other. This is the first time I'm seeing that. And
I'm wondering what went wrong. Who has any idea?"

The class went back to their noise.

"I'm asking you guys a question, and you all are snubbing me" Daniel screamed.

I looked at where Tomi's was seated, he was busy with his phone smiling. Elizabeth was close to him smiling also and laughing. I turned my face away.
I looked outside the window and saw Sandra talking to a guy and was laughing. The boy was in year 1. He was holding her hand and rubbing it. I felt jealous and bitter. I left the class instantly and went to the scene.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing to my girl?" I thundered, shoving the boy backwards.

"Bros wetin de happen na, why you push me?" he retorted.

"Your head no correct. You de craze" I dished out. I was taller than the boy so I had an advantage.

"Ebere, what's wrong with you?" Sandra asked.

"Nothing. I'm just telling this fool to stay away from my girl".

"Excuse you?" Sandra asked me.

"Na you and your generation be fool," the boy roared and walked away.

"What's the meaning of what you just did?" She asked me.

"Didn't you see?"

"See what?"

"The way he was touching you and laughing," I said. She looked at me with that look I couldn't figure out then suddenly she burst into laughter.

"What's funny?"

"I didn't know you're this jealous" she said and added "Theo is Tonia's boyfriend and he was removing dirt on my arm".

I never told her the cause of my uptightness. Not until Daniel told her about the sudden change of behaviour between Tomi and I. The supposed Tomi's celebration party was cancelled.

I sat on my loveseat after wishing Ebuka happy birthday. There was power supply that morning so I was watching a football highlight between Man city and Chelsea. I had already watched the live match when it played. Man city won Chelsea 6 goals to none. When I told Amaka about it, she said she no longer supported Chelsea and I laughed. My parents were away for the traditional marriage at the village. Amaka and I were just too lazy to go to church. She was in the kitchen preparing a meal when I dozed off seated right on top of my loveseat. The sound from my phone made me open my eyes, I glanced at the phone and picked it up.

"Hello, babe" Sandra said.

"Hello, dear," I replied.

"Happy valentine's day once again baby," She said.

I had earlier called her in the morning to wish her valentine.

"Same here, sweetheart". I replied.

"Why's your voice like this, were you sleeping?" She asked.

"Yes babe."

I looked at the wall clock, it was 11:03. I slept for 45 minutes already.

"Wait, you didn't go to church?".

"Yes babe, I was just too lazy"

"Ohhh, Alright. I just came back from church. So, I will be coming over to your place by 2pm" she said.

"Alright honey, I will be expecting you".

"Are you still not talking to Tomi?" She asked, changing the topic.

I didn't say anything.

"Baby come on, you guys are too big for this and I thought they used to say that men don't keep malice between themselves, only women. Why are you two behaving like weaklings?” She complained.

"Okay baby, I will talk to him," I said.

I had made up my mind to chat to Tomi that night. Just to apologize, nothing else.

"Please do. And I'll also talk to him." We ended the call.

I went to the kitchen and found the rice and stew Amaka made. I wasn't really hungry so I left the kitchen to the parlour. The power had been interrupted, I found Amaka in the parlour making a call and wishing valentine's day with a fly smile. I guessed the person to be Elvis. I sat and watched her make her call, she left me when she saw me looking at her like I was insane. I heard a beep on my phone, I opened it to see Daniel's message.

"Tomi is ready to accept your apology. Talk to him. You guys are not kids anymore".

I simply replied with "Okay" but he sent a raised eyebrow emoji.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:47pm On Nov 01, 2020
I decided to message Amaka about my visitor. She said okay. I later paid for Ebuka's phone and Gotv subscriptions as I promised. I was about going to the shower to freshen up and wait for Sandra when the homeland phone rang.

"Hello," I said.

"Ebere" The voice said.

"Amanda baby, how are you?" I asked.

"I'm fine and how's everyone?" Amanda asked.

"Everyone is fine. Papa and Nne travelled to the village, how's school?"

"School is fine. They travelled? So, you're the only one in the house?"

"No. Amaka is back".

I heard her scream happily and asked "Sis is back?" I smiled.

Amaka and Amanda bonded so good, one will think that they were twins.

"Yes"

"Where is she? Can I talk to her?"

I called Amaka and she came to the parlour, collected the phone and they spoke as I left them to freshen up.

"Nne, good afternoon" I greeted Nne over the phone.

"Nnam, good afternoon. Kedu?" She asked.

"Odimma. How is daddy and everyone over there?". I asked

"Everyone is Okay. Your father is Okay. He went out for a meeting with the Umunnas". She said.

"Alright, Ma".

"Hope you and Amaka went to church?" She asked.

"No, Ma. We were just too lazy to go"

I heard her sigh. "Where did Amaka keep her phone? I've been calling her"

"I don't know. Maybe she's sleeping in her room".

"Alright. When she wakes up, tell her to go to Mma Etubom's place to get the money she promised to give me today". She said.

"Alright Ma. Amanda called today" I announced.

"Yes, she called me too. Their midterm break is this weekend. We'll be back before then. Regards to Amaka and you two should stay safe." She said and hung up.

The power was restored immediately and I dropped the phone. I went over to Amaka's room and knocked on the door. She opened it after a while. The look on her face showed that she had been sleeping. I relayed the information I was asked to pass to her. I went back to my room and was about playing soccer when my phone beeped. I went for it and saw a WhatsApp text from someone I least expected. I smiled.

1 Like

Re: Black Orchid by syluck(m): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2020
Khriztarl:
cry[sup][/sup] Syluck today's saturday ni.

sorry for the delay grin

enjoy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Life Of An Abuja Boy / Black Bird / My First Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.