Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,605 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:03 PM

Being 25 In Naija - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Being 25 In Naija (696 Views)

To go or stay in naija / How To Open Verified Payoneer Accounts In Naija / How Much Does A Surveyor Earn Per Month In Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Being 25 In Naija by StarOnEarth(m): 12:26am On Aug 17, 2020
QUARTER LIFE CRISIS: LIFE OF A NAIJA YOUTH

One major fact every Nigerian youth would admit to is that growing up here and being successful is as difficult and unstable as NEPA light, one moment it seems like the star is so bright and your sky is all lit up and another moment you are looking for a candlelight to find your path and sometimes, the forces in charge of the country seems not to be doing anything in your favour. The sad part of it all is that when you are bent on making your riches legally, the society has its way of making one feel lazy, dumb, stupid and depressed. Well, one thing I have learnt is not to blame the society for how they react to how I make my money or how I live my life.

Being in my twenties in Naija seems more like a curse and a blessing at the same time, you can be very smart and still be confused, the fear of failure or letting your love ones down keeps ringing inside the head but yet the feeling of future regret needs to be avoided at all cost. Its scares me to be in my 50s and reminiscing about steps I didn’t take, the startup I didn’t create, opportunity I didn’t see and even ladies I didn’t date. This is why I keep trying different things lately but unfortunately, I have failed at most things I tried doing.

One major thing that has always affected me and a lot of youth like me is getting funding, especially guys that are given birth to with a “Plastic spoon” like me. The most likely way to get funds for a startup is to get a job, work like a machine and save up.

Before we got jobs, most of us felt we were been left-back in the world and all of our friends have gone farther than us and after getting a job “typical Naija 9 – 5” it now seems like we don’t have a life of our own and we are bottled up in the rat race, The thought of even getting married in this situation is as scary as entering a lion den. You see how you can be smart and confused at the same time in this country?

What would even tension you the most is seeing people that didn’t even take life serious doing better than you. See, this is Nigeria, I am used to that already, the society celebrates mediocrity of all such, especially when it entertains them or massage their ego. People don’t really pay attention to things that can really change their life. Well, that’s a matter for another article.

I know I am currently sounding like a frustrated Naija youth, but honestly, I am not frustrated, maybe I was at some point but it didn’t really last, I am just trying to make you guys relate to the reality of being a Naija youth. In the real sense I am grateful for this process, because with what I have learnt and still learning about growing up, I am confident that being 25 today is the beginning of extreme greatness for me.

There are certain way I have felt since I clocked 20 which I am sure I have not been the only one feeling this way. Feelings like:

Being unsure
Scared
Feeling of rejection
Desperation
Confusion
Anxiety
And a lot more, but you know what? I’m cool with all this feeling, the one that scares me the most is the feeling of regret in my 50s.

Today is my 25th birthday, it’s been a crazy year for me, having moved to a new state, new job and trying a new startup, ill like to share some life fact that has helped keep my insanity in check.

1. “Life is a race but we all have different starting line”:

See fam! It’s easy to compare ourselves with various people but things we don’t seem to put into consideration is that we all have a different background, different family fortune, different grace and luck. Someone might be born on the same day as you but that doesn’t mean your success would start and end on the same day. Imagine you comparing yourself with “kiki osinbajo” because she is age mate with you while your dad is just a civil servant. This doesn’t mean you won’t be successful too but have it in mind that the starting line is quite different.

2. “The best takes times”:
Two diggers are digging the ground to find resources to sell, one saw stones and the other saw diamond. Who do you think saw his first? Anytime I feel like my business is not tapping and I see others doing well with theirs, this is one phrase I use to console myself.

3. “There is a high probability that a stranger will support your business than people that you know”: I use to feel bad when I start a new business and no one on WhatsApp reposts or encourage, then I start to feel like the business will not do well because they don’t find it lucrative enough, then later I found out that strangers who don’t even know me would always repost my work and even give a good review. I remembered when a writer message me that she really wanted to know how to write poems like me. Then I found out that the reason people I know don’t promote is because of “See Finish” since then I don’t let it get to me anymore.

4. “Most people we envy are not doing better”:
Believe this or not, most people we want to be like don’t even want to be like themselves. We are currently in a confusing world where everyone wants each other’s lives, it’s like an endless circle. “Give yourself brain and be the best version of yourself, success is now defined with a clear camera and good background”.

5. 20s is not that fun:
I might be wrong with this but I personally feel like 20s is really for strategic hustling and enjoyment will be the rest of our lives.

6. Good Friendship is better than meaningless romantic relationship: Being in our twenties is that time we engage in so many romantic relationships which is cool and adventurous but neglecting good friendship and connection because we are occupied with one special person can actually stunt our growth.

Its been a crazy 25 years and I'm still hoping to have better days and fulfilling years. Naija is not that bad when you eventually find gold in the land which ill definitely find soon.

Mayowa Oladipo

http://mayorwritings..com/2020/08/being-25-in-naija.html?m=1
Re: Being 25 In Naija by paqman: 7:08am On Aug 17, 2020
I will be in this age range , in a couple of month, but am fustrated . I don't what to do bro , i think am just living for living sake. I don't even have prospect , i lost zeal i lost motivation, my parent are getting old i can't even put a smile on their face what a pity
Re: Being 25 In Naija by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 17, 2020
Double ur hustle bro..me at 23 is operation double my hustle..

The Ops say it all 85% Nigerians are born with a plastic spoon..
Infact me na iron spoon but you know wat ? after graduating from sec school four years after I found my way to the uni..the hustle it's been me and me .. double your hustle and put smile on ur parents face man!
paqman:
I will be in this age range , in a couple of month, but am fustrated . I don't what to do bro , i think am just living for living sake. I don't even have prospect , i lost zeal i lost motivation, my parent are getting old i can't even put a smile on their face what a pity
Re: Being 25 In Naija by paqman: 2:37am On Aug 18, 2020
Baleeson:
Double ur hustle bro..me at 23 is operation double my hustle..

The Ops say it all 85% Nigerians are born with a plastic spoon..
Infact me na iron spoon but you know wat ? after graduating from sec school four years after I found my way to the uni..the hustle it's been me and me .. double your hustle and put smile on ur parents face man!
am trying man but things are not just working out yet , any lead on what to do
Re: Being 25 In Naija by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 18, 2020
paqman:
am trying man but things are not just working out yet , any lead on what to do

I didn't know were u Base..but u need to change location ...the exiest way for one to make money is to learn dry cleaning... don't say you are too big for that.. learn from someone for four six months..by then some customers knows you ,they will suggest if you will be doing them home services...you can then select 3 people that you will be doing service for them...each person will be paying nothing less than 15k a month that's the less...=45k...with time it will be increasing..

If you need more infor let me know.
Re: Being 25 In Naija by paqman: 8:34pm On Aug 18, 2020
Baleeson:

I didn't know were u Base..but u need to change location ...the exiest way for one to make money is to learn dry cleaning... don't say you are too big for that.. learn from someone for four six months..by then some customers knows you ,they will suggest if you will be doing them home services...you can then select 3 people that you will be doing service for them...each person will be paying nothing less than 15k a month that's the less...=45k...with time it will be increasing..

If you need more infor let me know.
am from ogun state due to my current situation am now in ekpoma in edo state. Am a baker by occupation . Am going close to two month and some few days. But the laundry work i don't even no anyone around here

(1) (Reply)

Dispatch Riders And Their Many Wahala / . / Where Can I Do My SIWES In Kaduna And Get Paid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.