Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? (1533 Views)

Europe Is Not Easy — Nigerian Lady Reveals The Kind Of Job She Does To Survive / Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? / Man Narrates The Kind Of Wonder Creatures Living In The Ocean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Thermodynamics(m): 8:53am On Aug 17, 2020
Hello travelers, I'm planning to do my masters in Canada, but I want to learn a skill before going, what kind of skill do you think I can learn that has a high job demand in Canada?
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 10:04am On Aug 17, 2020
You should check government websites for specific programs and municipalities that want certain professions.

Other than that, anecdotal evidence suggests nurses, doctors, paramedics, and physician assistants. The healthcare system seems to always need more people. You would be making an excellent contribution.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Thermodynamics(m): 12:25pm On Aug 17, 2020
Cousin9999:
You should check government websites for specific programs and municipalities that want certain professions.

Other than that, anecdotal evidence suggests nurses, doctors, paramedics, and physician assistants. The healthcare system seems to always need more people. You would be making an excellent contribution.

I'm not talking about a professional skill, I'm talking of some kind of skills like mechanic or driving and others. I studied engineering so I can't do my masters in the health care system
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 3:51pm On Aug 17, 2020
Thermodynamics:

I'm not talking about a professional skill, I'm talking of some kind of skills like mechanic or driving and others. I studied engineering so I can't do my masters in the health care system

I doubt anything like that is in short supply except niche stuff, and those jobs tend to be heavily guarded by racist unions. It's still worth looking into, but training is typically not cheap and easy to find.

However, truck drivers (big rigs) are always in demand, even during the pandemic. No one wants to be on the road 3 weeks at a time despite the good salary. And many drivers branch out on their own once they clock experience. It's definitely worth the money and time. They average 19M naira a year. Independent contractors make like double that.

2 Likes

Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Thermodynamics(m): 8:02am On Aug 18, 2020
Cousin9999:

I doubt anything like that is in short supply except niche stuff, and those jobs tend to be heavily guarded by racist unions. It's still worth looking into, but training is typically not cheap and easy to find.

However, truck drivers (big rigs) are always in demand, even during the pandemic. No one wants to be on the road 3 weeks at a time despite the good salary. And many drivers branch out on their own once they clock experience. It's definitely worth the money and time. They average 19M naira a year. Independent contractors make like double that.

How about forklift driving?
How about mechanics?
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 12:03pm On Aug 18, 2020
Thermodynamics:

How about forklift driving?
How about mechanics?

I'm just trying to be honest with you because I know how much deception is out there regarding this issue. But I'm not trying to discourage you.

There's no shortage of forklift drivers, it's a common skill. There's also no shortage of common mechanics. You can throw a rock and hit a mechanic. As I said, niche trades are different, but fiercely protected, and I doubt you can get the required training/experience where you are. Even abroad the training/experience can be challenging to get. You would have to research those niches, connect with the unions, and likely train abroad (or maybe in South Africa, I don't know). Many of these jobs pay very well.

The following are the most likely to be real shortages:
-Welder (decent pay)
-Glazier (decent pay)
-Driller (Oil and Mining, competitive pay)

Other shortages tend to be people looking for cheap labor, or trying to flood the market and reduce wages.

There does appear to be a regional shortage (mechanics don't want to live there) of large equipment/heavy mechanics. And it seems industry-based (oil and mining). Insiders claim once you have experience in oil/mining, you can't get hired anywhere else because they assume you'll leave when oil/mining picks back up (suggesting frequent layoffs in oil/mining).
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 1:09pm On Aug 18, 2020
I know you didn't want to go med, but sonography/ultrasound tech is basically a trade that you can get in 2 years. It's cheap training, easy work, and pays well, even in Canada. Think about it.

I'm actually surprised at Canadian med salaries now. They're comparable to American, and that wasn't always the case. I guess shortages are motivating it.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Thermodynamics(m): 4:14pm On Aug 18, 2020
Cousin9999:
I know you didn't want to go med, but sonography/ultrasound tech is basically a trade that you can get in 2 years. It's cheap training, easy work, and pays well, even in Canada. Think about it.

I'm actually surprised at Canadian med salaries now. They're comparable to American, and that wasn't always the case. I guess shortages are motivating it.

I'm ready to change profession, but will I be accepted for a masters in sonography/ultrasound with my engineering degree?
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2020
Thermodynamics:

I'm ready to change profession, but will I be accepted for a masters in sonography/ultrasound with my engineering degree?

You wouldn't be doing a master's. You would be doing a two-year training program approved by whatever body certifies you.

They have enough med shortages that they'll roll out the red carpet for you to go and train as a tech, especially if you agree to the regional program. The fact that you're a trained engineer will only make you more marketable. I'm sure they prefer someone with your education over a Filipino.

Once you start working as a tech, you can do your master's in your preferred field. But be warned, there's no shortage of engineers, just a shortage of companies willing to pay appropriate salaries.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Thermodynamics(m): 11:53pm On Aug 18, 2020
Cousin9999:

You wouldn't be doing a master's. You would be doing a two-year training program approved by whatever body certifies you.

They have enough med shortages that they'll roll out the red carpet for you to go and train as a tech, especially if you agree to the regional program. The fact that you're a trained engineer will only make you more marketable. I'm sure they prefer someone with your education over a Filipino.

Once you start working as a tech, you can do your master's in your preferred field. But be warned, there's no shortage of engineers, just a shortage of companies willing to pay appropriate salaries.

Thanks a lot man, I've understood so much from you already.

Do you know of any school or training institute you can refer me to? I've tried Google but all I see are full-time undergraduate courses in sonography/ultrasound

Also, is sonography/ultrasound regarded as a tech course?
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 19, 2020
Thermodynamics:

Do you know of any school or training institute you can refer me to? I've tried Google but all I see are full-time undergraduate courses in sonography/ultrasound

d guy probably has never been to canada lol. Everything here is regulated and the so call skill you learn here. You may not be able to fulfill licensing conditions maybe due to time, funds or experience required. Get here first
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 1:05am On Aug 19, 2020
Thermodynamics:

Research your immigration path. I'd look into the PNP program, that specific occupation, provincial shortages lists from the actual province, and what your options are.

This is the job code for reference:
3216 – Medical sonographers

Basically, find the Canadian licensing/cert body for all sonographers. They have a list of approved schools. Find institutions on their list offering 2-year programs. This will typically be trade schools and CCs. Complete the program and apply for a work permit. You don't need a job to get it. After that, PNP and a job offer should take care of the rest.

What do you mean by "tech course?"

You should know that a lot of Nigerians study one thing at home and then get med training elsewhere. You certainly wouldn't be the first.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 1:09am On Aug 19, 2020
Btw
Sonography is an easy program, cheap training, and totally not a big deal. It's a joke compared to engineering school.
Re: What Kind Of Skill Sells In Canada? by Cousin9999: 1:21am On Aug 19, 2020

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Have 6 Years Canadian Visa, But I Need A Job Before Traveling.. / Why You Should Not Come To Our Country Again- Belgium To Nigerians / Is University Of Aberdeen A Very Good School.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.