Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,950 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) (57236 Views)

Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / Ibrahim Babangida (IBB's) Message To Igbos / Ibrahim Babangida Celebrates His 78th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by MrBanner(m): 1:48pm On Aug 17, 2020
gfirm:
Good morning everyone, please my fellow Nigerians, I didn't mean to do this but am scram, I just called for interview at plateau state, and am leaving at Calabar, it's so urgent, please I need a support of any token to use for my transportation down there tomorrow. thanks

access bnk

Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala Dominique Oam4j Mukina2 Justwise
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by aycorporat(m): 1:49pm On Aug 17, 2020
swiz123:
General Vasta was a traitor, at least to IBB.

He snitched on his friend when he tried to overthrow the current cow in Aso rock by leaking details of his friends coup to him.

When he failed, he tried to plot with LT. col. Musa Bitiyong to overthrow his friend using a farm loan to finance the coup. Karma being a bitch, his ally betrayed him and he was arrested and killed.

IBB only did what any military officer would do

Waoh!
I am just hearing this version for the first time

So you mean Vatsa was not innocent afterall?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by TheAviator: 1:50pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ategberoson:

imagine that. this our southern ladies lack principles when they see money and fame

many of them are still being carried away because of fame and wealth. I hope what she does for worth it after the man demise

But Vatsa was not yet rich and famous when they married. He was a low level officer then
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by manikspears: 1:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
dangermouse:
Its sad that it played out the way it did. Planning and, or failing to succesfully execute a coup is a treasonable offence with a defined penalty. Not holding brief for anyone; IBB did what he did out of no option. He would have appeared weak had he spared him, thus opeaning his regime up for more coup, lawlessnes and impunity. Coup plotters knows that they either succeed or fail. And failure is sure death.

Exile and imprisonment is also options but what do I know?

If you know the truth behind the story, vasta was arrested based on rumour.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Dedetwo(m): 1:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
techmo:

Muritala a signal corp boss, Shehu Musa Yar'Adua signal corp boss... I laugh at your ignorance MKO in terms of communication owned Nigeria then and the military used him same as CIA, Shagara's coup was planned and perfected at MKO's child naming ceremony with his full funding

I really laugh at your ignorance, you know nothing

I shall not educate you on military parlance. The signal corps not corp is like artillery battery but not up to the half of regimental strength. In addition, signal commands of the Nigerian army are not crack combat squads such as recce or armored groups. The two chaps you mentioned were historically nobodies in combat regiments of Nigerian army. The chaps were failures in 2nd Division theater at Asaba during the war.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Dedetwo(m): 1:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
Explorerx:

nee means her birth name bfore she marry

I know the connotation of "nee" hence my question about her being an Efik. Nee Nwaeze Onwuka does not look like Efik surname to me.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by dangermouse(m): 2:01pm On Aug 17, 2020
manikspears:

Exile and imprisonment is also options but what do I know?

If you know the truth behind the story, vasta was arrested based on rumour.
Its a story well known. Ur right about the options, but the military tribunal that handled the case knows better.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by LEXYLOV: 2:07pm On Aug 17, 2020
swiz123:

He snitched on his friend when he tried to overthrow the current cow in Aso rock by leaking details of his friends coup to him.

When he failed, he tried to plot with LT. col. Musa Bitiyong to overthrow his friend using a farm loan to finance the coup. Karma being a bitch, his ally betrayed him and he was arrested and killed.

It is unfortunate that many reply from this topic seems from people below 40yrs old at least. But its better to ask the elders who familiar with this historic incident and get the facts, before commenting. It was clear case of setup by ibb, against his bosom friend vatsa, vatsa got trouble with ibb and Co when he counter the dimka coup that assassinated murtala Mohammed, in 1976, and he was the tribunal secretary that sentence dimka and Co to firing squard. Don't foget, M G Bisalla was ibb boss and dimka was more close and intimate to I b than vatsa as a point. However, ibb was also part of that 76 coup and was safe by the same vatsa, even after many evidences link ibb with the coup and notably when he was task to expelled and arrest dimka at radio Nigeria Lagos be then he let him escape. Vatsa was threatening by ibb clique for mobilized his battalions from east to quell the coup and ever since he as been in a very black book of ibb clique. He actually resigned from the army because he knew his stand when ibb overthrown buhari. But ibb refused to accept his resignation and keep him in the army by force, when he was trying to leave and concentrate on his poetry job, he was frame up with bitiyong and co, and evidence emerged as a setup. Even MG Charles later confess, and many senior army office later testified after ibb booted out of power. Just a shot of the story it's long I can't tell it all, hope this bit help to shed some light.
MrBanner:

Seun Mynd44 Lalasticlala Dominique Oam4j Mukina2 Justwise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by manikspears: 2:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
dangermouse:
Its a story well known. Ur right about the options, but the military tribunal that handled the case knows better.

Muritala Muhammad coup plotters were killed and so as the rest.what makes vasta's own unique was that there was no tangible evidence.

You don't sentence a man to death based on suspicion or rumour without proper investigation and confirmation.

That was part of ojukwu flaws during the Biafran war.

And military tribunal is the mouth piece of the commander in chief, so there are under his influence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Dedetwo(m): 2:17pm On Aug 17, 2020
manikspears:

Muritala Muhammad coup plotters were killed and so as the rest.what makes vasta's own unique was that there was no tangible evidence.

You don't sentence a man to death based on suspicion or rumour without proper investigation and confirmation.

That was part of ojukwu flaws during the Biafran war.

And military tribunal is the mouth piece of the commander in chief, so there are under his influence.

This is not true in the military parlance. Under UMCJ, any soldier could be convicted of coup on circumstantial evidence. You should be very carful with what you say or see in the military environment. If you see or hear what looks out of order in military circle, please go to your chain of command. Lt Col Gowon did it to his so-called friend Lt. Col. Ojukwu.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by manikspears: 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2020
Dedetwo:

This is not true in the military parlance. Under UMCJ, any soldier could be convicted of coup on circumstantial evidence. You should be very carful with what you say or see in the military environment. If see or hear what looks out of order in military circle, please go to your chain of command. Lt Col Gowon did it to his so-called friend Lt. Col. Ojukwu.

"circumstantial evidence" ............. that is the word.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Cooleasy(m): 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2020
LEXYLOV:

It is unfortunate that many reply from this topic seems from people below 40yrs old at least. But its better to ask the elders who familiar with this historic incident and get the facts, before commenting. It was clear case of setup by ibb, against his bosom friend vatsa, vatsa got trouble with ibb and Co when he counter the dimka coup that assassinated murtala Mohammed, in 1976, and he was the tribunal secretary that sentence dimka and Co to firing squard. Don't foget, M G Bisalla was ibb boss and dimka was more close and intimate to I b than vatsa as a point. However, ibb was also part of that 76 coup and was safe by the same vatsa, even after many evidences link ibb with the coup and notably when he was task to expelled and arrest dimka at radio Nigeria Lagos be then he let him escape. Vatsa was threatening by ibb clique for mobilized his battalions from east to quell the coup and ever since he as been in a very black book of ibb clique. He actually resigned from the army because he knew his stand when ibb overthrown buhari. But ibb refused to accept his resignation and keep him in the army by force, when he was trying to leave and concentrate on his poetry job, he was frame up with bitiyong and co, and evidence emerged as a setup. Even MG Charles later confess, and many senior army office later testified after ibb booted out of power. Just a shot of the story it's long I can't tell it all, hope this bit help to shed some light.
Very interesting. Sir, I would like to learn more on this from you. Would pm you sir.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Sheriman(m): 2:30pm On Aug 17, 2020
Dedetwo:

There is a high probability that Mamman Vatsa would have killed IBB if he, Vatsa, was successful with the coup. This is an intrigue many people do not funderstand with life and military.
You are right my guy when IBB was interviewed by a journalist in 2010 about Vasta Coup he said a friend that was desperate to kill you should not be spared
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by NoChill: 2:32pm On Aug 17, 2020
Equitty15:
and he still killed him..na was oh..maradona of Africa.

meanwhile contact me if you need a mobile application for your website at a very cheap rate. uploaded to both play store and apple store.
How much for an educational pc app and mobile app
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Sheriman(m): 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2020
ayofe72:
Just like yesterday. Make we do well.
Meanwhile, would you like to access Bolivia, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa, Mauritius and Singapore etc, visa free? Then see my signature for details.
Go give those Free VISA to your Family.. Please kindly explain the difference between those county and Nigeria except Singapore
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by emapeteum(m): 2:53pm On Aug 17, 2020
koning:

Stop replying to post after smoking Ganja!. What did you just write.

Vasta's wife is simply an Igbo woman from Calabar. Igbo tribe extends way beyond core Igbo states. There are Igbos in Southern Cameroon.

The information is misleading.There is no Igbo indigeneous to Calabar.And besides, the writer said Efik and not Igbo.I know some Calabar people bear Igbo names but they not Igbo.Igbo indigeneous to Southern Cameroun,my friend you lied!

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by LEXYLOV: 2:54pm On Aug 17, 2020
Cooleasy:

Very interesting. Sir, I would like to learn more on this from you. Would pm you sir.
Sure my brother, LT col b s dimka the alleged ring leader of 1976 coup was ibb childhood friend like brother. M G vatsa was his course mate they met in military school and became close friends. They both best man each other weddings. And formed a closed family friends. Mariam and safiya are also friends. Ibb involved in coups that brought both Gowan and murtala himself to.power, but vatsa as a battalions commander serving mostly in North east was not present in Lagos , Ibb was in dodan barack, he was also an artillery commander, he was tasked to protect and support the seat of power. He and dimka are very close friend, even when murtala overthrown Gowan dimka was in UK at course it was M G Bisalla that processed his swift return home back and he was picked at the airport by ibb and they stayed close. That's why you see that. Lagos was conquered on 13 Feb 76, obj was no where to be found and he ran away. It was the same M G Vatsa. Who denounce the coup on radio in the evening of that black day and lunch his counter coup attacks from the east to re conquer lagos. That's when MG Dongoyaro and Co got liver to support and start chasing the coupist, till Vatsa battalion succeeded in overtaken dodan and lagos and declared victory. Ibb was arrested , but was cleared by vatsa and he was tasked to arrest dimka at radio Nigeria with his troops he let him off. During the tribunal many convicted soldiers protest unfair of not tried ibb. It was impossible because vatsa become more powerful at then and he oversees the tribunal. But ibb and Co vow to Avenge the crushing of the coup by his friend, killing of dimka and.co. and Bisalla ibb boss death. Ever since then vatsa as fell out of the favor with some.factions headed by ibb, he was promoted appointed above ibb during obj led government and shagari civilian government. And he became choice of idiagbon and bhuari when they make him a minister ftc. Ibb become coas. The enemity persist between then secretly. When ibb become head of state. He knew it's over for him. He.talk to wole soyinka.and.co his.fellow poet, that'd why they fought to rescue him.when.ibb nailed him finally.
Remember obj once said he.wont pity vatsa so.buhari. because allow his friend to.live and escape 1976 execution.
And himself vatsa become the victim of the circumstances. No.evidence, only mouth witnesses and very weak allegations brought against him. All is premeditated. Just because of the above explanation.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Dedetwo(m): 2:58pm On Aug 17, 2020
koning:

Stop replying to post after smoking Ganja!. What did you just write.

Vasta's wife is simply an Igbo woman from Calabar. Igbo tribe extends way beyond core Igbo states. There are Igbos in Southern Cameroon.

You could not be more correct. I wanted the loudmouthed Yari.ba peeps to read about Igbo woman from Cross River via Calabar. When the loudmouths are up to their heaps with mischiefs, they tend to blow their trumpet about Igbo land which did not spread beyond their five imaginary states.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by KristaPretty(f): 3:26pm On Aug 17, 2020
No one is a friend to anyone when it comes to politics.
They only wine and dine for the benefits or gain, when there's no use for such then you're completely useless.

All the politicians are frenemies to each other.

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by shugabasbn: 3:32pm On Aug 17, 2020
swiz123:

Don't feed us this please. The guy was not among the plotters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by gwama: 3:36pm On Aug 17, 2020
TheAviator:

They were both life long friends

Like Thomas Sankara and Blaise Compaore. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by earnit3: 3:46pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ok
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Anazp: 3:50pm On Aug 17, 2020
Openbusiness:
which nonsense Shagari? Under whose regime was FCT created? Who created FCT? It was Muritala. Which nonsense Shagari be that.
yes muritala created the FCT however during shagaris time real construction started
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by aycorporat(m): 3:55pm On Aug 17, 2020
LEXYLOV:

You seem to know more sir.
But it was speculated that it was IBB that actually talked to Dimka in the radio station thereby making him (IBB) to foil the coup or is there another version?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Eastlink(m): 3:56pm On Aug 17, 2020
Blackking98:

No de misyarn o abeg there's no Igbo in Efik land abeg. I'm a calabar boy, no misyarn bros.
What do you know. You this Akwa-Ibom boy. There are Igbos in Calabar especially Eshiet. although now identify as Efiks, but a lot keep their Igbo names. Focus on your Akwa-Ibom and let Calabarians tell you what’s up.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Wiseandtrue(f): 3:59pm On Aug 17, 2020
cunny88:
he should equally have been executed for bombing Dele Giwa
I am telling you!!! He was very callous and reckless!!!

1 Like

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Yus2020: 4:04pm On Aug 17, 2020
Theif and evil man at 79
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by LEXYLOV: 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2020
aycorporat:

You seem to know more sir.
But it was speculated that it was IBB that actually talked to Dimka in the radio station thereby making him (IBB) to foil the coup or is there another version?
No my brother. It was Gen dongoyaro or Danjuma, tasked IBB and some troops to kill or capture Dimka at radio station. IBB was very reluctant to go and was questioned briefly and dispatched on getting there instead to lunched the order, he was instead chatting with Dimka and his boys and allow them to escaped. And claimed that it was an hostages situations that make him not lunched the expected attack on the station , therefore all the staffs of the station were locked in a room and the coupist roaming the environment said by the staffs after the sieged. And they order ibb arrest. He spent some few days in guardroom before been released after clearance from Vatsa. Then temporary commandant of dodan.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by ezeegolimited30(m): 4:15pm On Aug 17, 2020
just like ojukwu killed ifeajuna his friend during civil war
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Laughing At Mamman Vatsa's Wedding In The 60s (photo) by Maliqcious: 4:23pm On Aug 17, 2020
Wiseandtrue:
If everything is to be based on execution then IBB shouldn't be alive today
The same thing he executed his friend for was the same thing he did to MKO!!!
So talk another one
hmmm. IBB...Do You how many coup MKO financed. He got served anyway

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

More Pics From Buhari's Aso Rock Tour And Jonathan's Official Handover / Soldiers Disperse Dariqa Muslims In Yobe State. Photos / Nigerian Man Who Criticized Goodluck Jonathan Over Exchange Rate (2014 Vs 2023)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.