Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,866 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic (1615 Views)

Toyota Sienna 2008 Over Heats / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by adesanyadotun: 10:25pm On Aug 17, 2020
When in motion , the temperature guage goes above middle but in traffic it comes back to normal.
Car newly acquired
The fans working directly
Water level in radiator not reduced
I noticed a sign of radiator sealant at the edge of radiator opening.
Thermostat still there
Toyota brand

Please what could be wrong and what should I do?

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by aaking(m): 11:42pm On Aug 17, 2020
The two fans don't suppose to work directly.

You can remove the thermostat .
Where do you stay.
If you stay in Lagos precisely (ojota,ketu) or nearby I can recommend my rewire for you.
I remove the thermostat of my 1st car but the 2nd one I have not remove it since 2yrs now because is working fine
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by uboma(m): 12:13am On Aug 18, 2020
aaking:

You can remove the thermostat
Where do you stay.
If you stay in Lagos precisely (ojota,ketu) or nearby I can recommend my rewire for you.
I remove the thermostat of my 1st car but the 2nd one I have not remove it since 2yrs now because is working fine

Whatever you do, do not heed the advice to remove your thermostat @op

3 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:38am On Aug 18, 2020
adesanyadotun:
When in motion , the temperature guage goes above middle but in traffic it comes back to normal.
Car newly acquired
Thermostat still there
Toyota brand

i think a picture would do much talking

Normally if the car as its thermostat and relay controlled fan, if in traffic and coolant temperature rises, the thermostat will open to let in cool coolant from the radiator into the engine, then your fan kicks in to help the hot coolant coming from the engine to cool down. "Dont be fooled by those who say this system is for Western World due to cold climate" this statement is from Kazeem mechanics who dont understand optimum operating aka best temperature to get maximum effiecent from an engine without damaging it, running an engine at cold aka anything under 70 degrees is uneffiecent and also damages the engine in the long run

Your car is doing usually opposite, most cars overheat in traffic due the the fact that there is no air flow the radiator due the car being stationary

Since yours overheats during driving it might be a headgasket gone, why becoz there is more heat generated during driving aka at high RPM than in traffic were your RPM are low

Just let a good mechanic check all possibilies that might cause overheating

2 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by 9icetoo(m): 12:39am On Aug 18, 2020
adesanyadotun:
Car newly acquired
Thermostat still there
Toyota brand

Check and make sure none of your brakes are binding.
If none, replace thermostat. Do not remove but replace.

1 Like

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Mottomata(m): 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2020
aaking:

You can remove the thermostat .
Where do you stay.

You should not remove the thermostat!!!
Investigate and troubleshoot the cooling system.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by dfos2k(m): 11:12pm On Aug 18, 2020
It's very difficult to educate a Nigerian. Our educational system has failed!
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by EngRichie: 8:15am On Aug 19, 2020
You may have a partially stuck open/closed thermostat.
Remove the thermostat. If the issue becomes solved, get a good thermostat and put there.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Areaboy2(m): 9:18am On Aug 19, 2020
Dont stress yourself with thermostat this, thermostat that.
If your thermostat has a problem, and is stuck closed, you will have over heating whether stationary or at speed.

I am fairly confident that your radiator is the problem.
At low load (low rev in traffic) the radiator works fine.
At higher load (higher rev on the move) radiator unable to keep up with the heat dissipation needed.

Firstly, check to confirm that your fan is blowing in the right direction.
It could just be blowing outwards and this counters/cancels the air rushing in while you are driving, thereby making the heat dissipation of the radiator insufficient. things will work fine when you are in traffic since the air from outside is low as you are on low speed.

Secondly, if fan is blowing correctly, proceed to wash your radiator inside out. make sure the fins are free of debris and it is not heavily rusted inside.
Replace with recommended coolant.

Lastly, you might want to check to make sure your radiator was not "changed" at some point during life of the car. maybe an underrated unit was installed.

As long as radiator is clean, coolant level is good and not losing fluid, water pump works fine, fans are blowing (in the right direction), thermostat not stuck closed, A car should not over heat.

ps: I'm not an expert, just using small common sense.

4 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by EngRichie: 10:20am On Aug 19, 2020
Kudos. Very valid points.
Next time, just go ahead to contribute without criticizing others.

Areaboy2:
If your thermostat has a problem, and is stuck closed, you will have over heating whether stationary or at speed.

At higher load (higher rev on the move) radiator unable to keep up with the heat dissipation needed.

It could just be blowing outwards and this counters/cancels the air rushing in while you are driving, thereby making the heat dissipation of the radiator insufficient. things will work fine when you are in traffic since the air from outside is low as you are on low speed.

Secondly, if fan is blowing correctly, proceed to wash your radiator inside out. make sure the fins are free of debris and it is not heavily rusted inside.

Lastly, you might want to check to make sure your radiator was not "changed" at some point during life of the car. maybe an underrated unit was installed.

As long as radiator is clean, coolant level is good and not losing fluid, water pump works fine, fans are blowing (in the right direction), thermostat not stuck closed, A car should not over heat.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Areaboy2(m): 12:08pm On Aug 19, 2020
EngRichie:
Kudos. Very valid points.
Next time, just go ahead to contribute without criticizing others.

thank you.
i Didnt mean it to come across as criticism.
My apologies embarassed

3 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by iskoki(m): 5:22pm On Aug 19, 2020
I almost destroyed my Auto transmission and Engine because of this. Very dangerous problem to develop on the high way.

9icetoo:

Check and make sure none of your brakes are binding.
If none, replace thermostat. Do not remove but replace.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by 2cicily: 9:30pm On Aug 19, 2020
Just change ur radiator or coolant cover I have same experience.

Also if the radiator is single cell, this will hapun while travelling a long distance . Change it to double cell
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by 2cicily: 9:30pm On Aug 19, 2020
Just change ur radiator/coolant cover I have same experience.

Also if the radiator is single cell, this will hapun while travelling a long distance . Change it to double cell
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Billiebaba(m): 11:23pm On Aug 19, 2020
Don't forget, is the coolant going round your engine fast enough, you might want to check your water pump too.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by kingreign(m): 5:53am On Aug 20, 2020
Billiebaba:
Don't forget, is the coolant going round your engine fast enough, you might want to check your water pump too.

This is the best answer.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by dicksonadams(m): 6:49am On Aug 20, 2020
kingreign:

This is the best answer.

But boss what if the coolant doesn't show sign of damage tru leaks in weep hole?
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by 9icetoo(m): 9:33am On Aug 20, 2020
Areaboy2:

At the bolded, not so true.
I've had a thermostat stuck closed on my skoda. Had same symptoms as OP. The needle always rested above the middle line on highway trips but stayed on the middle line in town. I changed the thermostat and it stopped happening. The thermostat had a bypass which still allowed coolant to flow but wasn't allowing enough to flow at highway speeds with engine working hard.
Water pump can also cause this.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Areaboy2(m): 10:49am On Aug 20, 2020
9icetoo:

I've had a thermostat stuck closed on my skoda. Had same symptoms as OP. The needle always rested above the middle line on highway trips but stayed on the middle line in town. I changed the thermostat and it stopped happening. The thermostat had a bypass which still allowed coolant to flow but wasn't allowing enough to flow at highway speeds with engine working hard.

Interesting perspective and you might be right afterall.
Some cars do indeed have this bypass, but i doubt Toyota engines do (atleast not in the way we think).
You may have had a bad thermostat that wasn't opening all the way and restricted flow. Not entirely shut completely.
This is one angle i didn't consider in my initial post. Thanks

OP, any update?
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by adesanyadotun: 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2020
Thanks all
I've not driven the car on highway speed since then but these are my observations
1. The fans working directly
2. The two fans blowing in wrong direction
3. Radiator is dirty and some greyish debris flowing on water surface
4. One cooling fan is bad.

Intervention
1. The two fans have been reverted to blow in right direction.
2. Radiator interior has been washed and refill with water(Filling up with coolant is really not affordable now)
3. Electcian has gone for bad fan replacement
4. He will revert the fans to factory mode.
I think this should do.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Prevailing: 1:39pm On Aug 21, 2020
adesanyadotun:
Car newly acquired
Thermostat still there
Toyota brand

Visit a car wash and tell them to do a radiator flush
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by sexyto(m): 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2020
Change your radiator cover I have experienced this in my car, I was at a loss cos other components where not faulty until my MECH changed it.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:00am On Aug 23, 2020
9icetoo:

your are wrong

yes a fully stuck thermostat will cause overheating whether the car is idling or crusing

am sure yours was half stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5p31F_dVJU
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by Mrford(m): 9:59am On Aug 23, 2020
Confirm non of the fans are blowing in opposite direction. At stationary or slow moving traffic that will work, but on high way it will work against the air flow which will result to inefficient cooling.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by adanny01(m): 1:53pm On Aug 23, 2020
Areaboy2:

This is what I think is wrong.

Wrong fan direction.

Stationery or at slow speed, the wrong direction will not be a problem since the fan airflow is stronger than the ambient air flow. So the fan will be effective.

But when on high speed, the ambient air flow is high while the fan airflow opposes the ambient airflow, its like creating a stalemate. This means the radiator will not have airflow in either direction. This means no airflow, no heat dissipation from radiator leading to overheat.

However, op's description of overheating is vague. Does the needle reach redline or not?

Most cars that have their thermostat removed will have fluctuations in temperature guage especially during the rain/cold seasons.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by 9icetoo(m): 3:13pm On Aug 23, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

your are wrong

yes a fully stuck thermostat will cause overheating whether the car is idling or crusing

am sure yours was half stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5p31F_dVJU
Thanks. We learn everyday.
Re: My Car Over Heats In Motion But Very Normal In Heavy Traffic by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:19pm On Aug 23, 2020
9icetoo:

Thanks. We learn everyday.

true

what i have observed here it seems like most people dont understand the cooling system of a car, they think the thermostat is for the western world due to cold which is not true, The thermostat is there to maintain the operating temperature irregardless of the outside temperature/climate aka cooling and maintaining a temperature that give better mileage per gallon/litre without causing any temperature change damage to engine block over time

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Camry 2011 AC Issue / How Do You REVERSE Your Car / Toyota Struggling?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.