Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions (40802 Views)

FG Increases Salaries Of Tertiary Institutions’ Staff By 35% And 23% / "Snake Swallowed Our School Fees": Benue State University Students Protest (Pics / Cohabiting: The Silent Killer Of Students In Tertiary Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by jiksman3: 3:39pm On Aug 18, 2020
They should resume abeg, street olosho don too much
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Ibegtodiffer: 3:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
ee
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Ibegtodiffer: 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2020
Access03:
After re-opening of Schools, then ASUU resumes the 2nd leg of their strike.

I don't enjoy the strike, but Universities are in shambles. This is lecture hall vs Politicians hall...what do you expect. We blame ASUU, but as students, is our condition in school good?

2 Likes

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by earnit5: 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2020
hmmm
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by donatus101(m): 3:48pm On Aug 18, 2020
LaEvilIMiss:
i don't understand where the misunderstanding is coming from... NCDC have admitted that containing covid19 is beyond her capabilities and Nigerians have expressed and demanded the right to be maskless and go about their business as usual -after-all malaria and pneumonia are exactly like covid19 sooooo; allow the masses face the so-called dreaded covid19 and save all that international aid money for your pockets.. worst case the roads will be filled with rotting dead covid19 zombies and best case scenario; de-population of the poor will help our economy.. WIN-WIN

Very disturbing analysis you need mental help

4 Likes

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Newboss(m): 3:48pm On Aug 18, 2020
KNNGDUMI:

You see why Nigeria is like this?
When the people that are suppose to be fighting for things to change are comfortable with there situation.
God help us

What are you talking about? Do you know that the average student in tertiary institution has no money making skill? I have some friends in tertiary institution who are using this period to skill up.

Some of us were not lucky enough to have free period like this. This is time for students to skill up. Certificate is useless without skills. In case you're still in tertiary institution, take my advice, skill up. You have a chance I never had.

2 Likes

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by AustineJohn908(m): 3:50pm On Aug 18, 2020
Climax07:
I think Nigerians should stop been myopic in their thinking, we know these institutions are far behind on their curriculum but we should look at the bigger picture. How many tertiary institutions can fully comply with NCDC guidelines? hostels in those institutions with population how can they maintain social distancing? hence it is important institutions remain closed until COVID-19 is dealt with
But Social distancing is needed in the market, banks and even some religious centres?
go outside and you will see everything has returned to normal. businesses have began once more, even in viewing centres.
stop being myopic.

1 Like

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Taiwojon(m): 3:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
Omoolami100:
National association of university students (NAUS), National association of polytechnic students (NAPS), and National association of Nigerian colleges of education (NANCES) to demand for immediate reopening of campus across Nigeria.

More details in the picture attached.

https://m.guardian.ng/news/students-protest-against-schools-closure-today/
they should open it oooo

and nothing should stop you as a preacher to stop preaching.

let us work while it is day. the night cometh when no man can work
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by toprealman: 3:51pm On Aug 18, 2020
What about NANS...... whatever happened to that association still remains a mystery.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Ibegtodiffer: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2020
RudyNerdy:
can't The FG sacked and dissolve that use less ASUU chairman and probably get the bastard arrested and jailed?
Gosh things like this makes me really value military Regime
If you're a student in Nigeria, you should be familiar with this. Is it right?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by oridency(m): 3:57pm On Aug 18, 2020
Who send una msg now�
Na next year we wan resume o

1 Like

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Bmaster(m): 4:01pm On Aug 18, 2020
LaEvilIMiss:

tranny-lover
embarassed embarassedwhat do I got to do with you,miss evil...?
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Rilwayne001: 4:02pm On Aug 18, 2020
NANCES president, Mahmud Abubakar, told The Guardian: “The agitation is still one, which is the re-opening of our campuses. We just want to hear from the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, the date for resumption, as we are more open to the deadly coronavirus at home than on campus, AND AN IDLE MIND IS THE DEVIL’S WORKSHOP.”

On point^^^
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Adezeal1: 4:04pm On Aug 18, 2020
In as much as I'm of the opinion that the schools should be opened, I can't help but see the truth in your comment. "We finish na house we go still dey".
It is rather unfortunate.
I pray God bless the work of you hands.

wisest10:
All this aluta self..is it because you guys cannot loot again??...Covid19 suppose don teach una say school na scam for 9ja...please let us that are learning work learn finish b4 una resume abeg...afterall if school resume and we finish na house we go still stay..welcome to Nigeria
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by medinho: 4:08pm On Aug 18, 2020
Climax07:
I think Nigerians should stop been myopic in their thinking, we know these institutions are far behind on their curriculum but we should look at the bigger picture. How many tertiary institutions can fully comply with NCDC guidelines? hostels in those institutions with population how can they maintain social distancing? hence it is important institutions remain closed until COVID-19 is dealt with

Shut up shut up shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 4:28pm On Aug 18, 2020
RudyNerdy:
can't The FG sacked and dissolve that use less ASUU chairman and probably get the bastard arrested and jailed?

Omo, forigve me, but you are a real Indomie generation guy....

No be insult.

Let me tell you how it was under Army rule for students. That was the time when the Millitary government could send soldiers into campus, who would then shoot aimlessly and students would die like flies.

That was the time when lecturers were paid chickenfeed as fees, and they could not complain.

That was the time when in 1986, dozens of students died , and many were injured...and the campuses across Nigeria were occupied by soldiers and MOPOL.

That was the time, when if ASUU goes on strike, na over one year closure be that. Nothing like negotiations, nothing.

ASUU has sacrificed over the years for you and your guys.

When school resumes, go and ask any of your lecturers over the age of 60...Sir, how was it like under Army rule.? You will hear tales.Then you will come and retract this your comment I have quoted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by supercase1(m): 4:36pm On Aug 18, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright
Be on the alert as a real nigga you claim.most people asking you for contacts are either policemen detectives or are trying to investigate you.it happens to a nairalander before and he was arrested in real life.
Be wise my son!!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Stewart883(m): 4:41pm On Aug 18, 2020
ejibaba:

lolssxxx...There were more ASUU strike during the military regime to now. Yet military didn't even think it to sack anyone.

All ASUU is fighting for is the good of public universities in the country.

Big lie!!! They are fighting for their salaries.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Blakpot: 4:42pm On Aug 18, 2020
Abeg make una calm down joor! I neva ready for exam
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by mastermaestro(m): 5:04pm On Aug 18, 2020
Newboss:

What are you talking about? Do you know that the average student in tertiary institution has no money making skill? I have some friends in tertiary institution who are using this period to skill up.

Some of us were not lucky enough to have free period like this. This is time for students to skill up. Certificate is useless without skills. In case you're still in tertiary institution, take my advice, skill up. You have a chance I never had.

This school closure has somehow been a blessing to some of my nieces and nephews. They are learning skills now, an opportunity I hardly had during my school days. The good part is that they are all secondary school students. I am kind of happy for them.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by AdebayoHOD(m): 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
Tomiwa69:
We no want oooo
Let us resume next year oooo.
Leave us like dat ooo
Actually I had the intention to reply you, but when I checked your profile. SMH Just decided to let you be “Dullard”. undecided
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 18, 2020
Stewart883:

You try
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by dadasupremacy(m): 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2020
The most painful part my girlfriend can't come to visit me because she can't leave home
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by February30(m): 5:17pm On Aug 18, 2020
Do you wonder how yours friends study during the lock-down?
Get admitted into FIRSTAC ONLINE ACADEMY and never miss out anything. Visit us @ https:///PcbI6k-5T
Admission into Jss 1 (Basic 7)

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Abusadiq01(m): 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2020
I just dey Observe

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by sinkhole: 5:21pm On Aug 18, 2020
Stewart883:

I strongly pray you become a lecturer in Nigeria and collect the salary they collect smiley
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by mrksquare: 5:33pm On Aug 18, 2020
The protest is misplaced. They should make case for the government to invest in E-learning in our tertiary institution so that lectures can be going on while the students are at home. It wouldn't take much money to achieve this goal.
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Ochys87: 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2020
Lol
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by RudyNerdy: 5:47pm On Aug 18, 2020
Aflix:
So you mean that the campaigns with old men in it had all covid 19 regulations Let's not deceive ourselves.
APC campaign and rallies in Edo state has proved that corona virus is a hoax in Nigeria
Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Okudiover(m): 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2020
RudyNerdy:

This ASUU you chide so much is by far the most resilient workers union this country has ever seen. Right from the days of OBJ in the 70s, Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Shonekan, Abacha (most especially), OBJ again, Yar Adua, GEJ and now Buhari again.

Let me tell you if not for ASUU over the years the little reforms seen in the educational sector at the tertiary levels would not have been possible. Is it ETF, Tertfund or enhanced salary scale would not have been possible. Now it is evident that ASUU was right all along to have rejected the IPPIS scheme because the problems now associated with it's implementation which was raised initially is evident for all to see. From over taxation beyond what was attainable to unexplained cut and unremittance of pensions. If you like lock the national executive up without trial that strike will go on as long as we the ASUU deem it necessary.

As a student that I was in 1996, General Abacha directed the then minister of education Saleh (I think) whom himself was a lecturer at BUK, Kano as well as the state military administrators not only to withhold salaries an other emoluments of lecturers but to sack all who did not resume duty and drive them out of the universities' staff quarters across the country. The then minister of education went ahead to announce that on the sack of the striking workers that they would employ lecturers from Niger republic among other African countries.

Two days later the ASUU national chairman Prof Asobie, published an editorial showing what lecturers earned in 7 African countries including Niger, Botswana, Egypt, South Africa, Ghana, Cameroon and Uganda. The least was 7 times his Nigerian counterpart in dollar terms. That publication so angered the FG they ordered for the arrest of the newspapers officials and ASUU executives.

The strikes between 1992 and 1996 were particularly terrible in it's immediate consequences then. The striking sequence were as follows:

July-Sept 1992. (2months)
April-Nov 1993 (7months)
July 1994 - Feb 1995. (9 months)

In all I lost I year, others at LASU lost 2 years. The government over the years have paid little attention to the plight of education as a whole in Nigeria. It hasn't fared any better even now. Estimating 8% of your country's budget to education is still below the benchmark of 26% as recommended by UNESCO.

You should hold your elected accountable to your current state and not ASUU.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students Protest Against Closure Of Tertiary Institutions by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2020
donatus101:

Very disturbing analysis you need mental help

duh... of course it is disturbing - you have a government whose Health Minister has confirmed that covid19 testing is insufficient and 80% of confirmed covid19 test subjects are not in isolation and have integrated with general population (community spread FYI). Now you have a populace split between those who have means to survive a lock-down and a greater majority of those who must go out and mingle with 80% already identified covid19 zombies for their daily bread... somehow you are all expecting a fair outcome. disaster is waiting to happen as soon as Malaysian Returnees start coming through our open Airports having picked-up the recently discovered virulent Malaysian covid19.. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Damilola Olakanmi, Nigerian Law Student Dies In UK After Eating Cannabis Sweet / Kids Transported To School In Lokoja In An Open-Vehicle (photos) / "Okada Boy" Makes UNIOSUN Best Overall Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.