Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,836 members, 7,806,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far - Travel (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far (59586 Views)

Finally Migrated To Australia At Age 48. This Is My Story So Far / Third Mainland Bridge Closure; What Is Your Experience So Far? / Any Nigerian In Kigali, Rwanda? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Rotexzy1u(m): 7:37am On Jul 13, 2021
Good morning. please who have idea on when china will open border for international students

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:33pm On Jul 14, 2021
judecares1:

Student copy is cheaper and you can use it to apply for other institution's

UPDATE

Thanks for the info.
However I just got a mail hours ago that my application was REJECTED
I have taken it in good faith and moved on
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by MadJonez: 8:00am On Jul 15, 2021
Austeen007:
Russia!

Every one of us would not deny that we haven’t read or heard one or 2 weird stories about Russia.

If not. At least, you must have heard the following that;

Russians are racists; they do not like black People.

Russian spits on black people on the streets
Russians kills black people or Africans in the streets of Moscow.

Russia is not a place for a black man to travel to; Especially Nigerians.

I get often asked 2 particular questions from most Nigerians about Russia;

“How is the racism there, I heard they’re racist?
The Good News is that I have been living in Russia for almost 3 years now and no one cares about my skin color.

Russians are very helpful people when you ask for help.

“Russia is too cold.” But little did they know that Canada is colder than Russia.

Though, before I moved to Russia I also had read and heard so many weird things about Russia and the advice was “if you’re African, dark skinned don’t go to Russia."

I almost forfeited my visa lol!

But, I took the hard decision, disregarding all I have read and took a shot at it.

When I got to Russia’s Domododevo airport in Moscow I was expecting to be sent back to Africa, Nigeria for being black.

Clearly, nobody cared about my very dark skin tone.

For those who looked only did in admiration and ask to take a photo with me.

My 3 years in Russia has been awesome, far from what I expected.

Recently, I went spending time in the Russian Dacha (Country House) in Nigeria we call village house.

My 90 day experience in the Russian dacha was awesome too.

People where friendly and often asked to take a photo with me.

Remember, you must learn how to understand Russian to be able to start a conversation. Or you can either make use of a Yandex or Google Translator.

Observations:
Many of the things we have read or heard about Russia, isn’t true.

I’d not be able to write all of my experience in Russia so far

If you have any question about Russia ask me I’ll answer them in a knowledgeable truth around my experiences so far.

Nigerian in Russia- My experience so sar

I just read this post and I couldn't resist replyingnas this is my first post on nairaland. Man, no ills intended most the things you said are correct, but you suger coated it a lot. A lot will come to Russia based on this post and get frustrated.

You made the Russians look great in a lot of things. I 1000% agree they are not racists directly, but indirectly they are racists (subconsciously and I subconsciously). As someone who has been studying and working here(am not talking of the menial 1k rubles job) for 3 years you left a lot of the bad details and just focusing on the sweet details.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by judecares1(m): 10:32am On Jul 15, 2021
u can still reapply once u have ur transcript,why must u just loose interest just cos of ordinary rejection? my brother,keep trying

RodgersAkpafu:

UPDATE

Thanks for the info.
However I just got a mail hours ago that my application was REJECTED
I have taken it in good faith and moved on
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 10:42am On Jul 15, 2021
judecares1:
u can still reapply once u have ur transcript,why must u just loose interest just cos of ordinary rejection? my brother,keep trying

I'm reapplying o
Is it because I said I "moved on" lol
Deadline is August
And I got the student transcripts
Though i had to pay almost 1500 for it

Though I'm thinking of moving on to another programme

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by DynamicFaith: 3:14pm On Jul 15, 2021
BishopEmmanuel:

Please can I send my WhatsApp number?
Please add me to the whatsapp group 07032415221

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Udapod(m): 10:30pm On Jul 15, 2021
Is there anyone here applying for mbbs in Russia for September/October intake?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by LutanFyah: 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2021
MadJonez:

I just read this post and I couldn't resist replyingnas this is my first post on nairaland. Man, no ills intended most the things you said are correct, but you suger coated it a lot. A lot will come to Russia based on this post and get frustrated.

You made the Russians look great in a lot of things. I 1000% agree they are not racists directly, but indirectly they are racists (subconsciously and I subconsciously). As someone who has been studying and working here(am not talking of the menial 1k rubles job) for 3 years you left a lot of the bad details and just focusing on the sweet details.
Can you list the things he omitted?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by miidae(f): 10:14am On Jul 17, 2021
Who Dey write skoltech online test today?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 2:35pm On Jul 17, 2021
MadJonez:

Nowhere is easy
Anyone expecting to move to a new place
And have it easy
Is not serious
I feel Russia a country worth giving a try
Especially if that is what your budget can contain

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 5:08pm On Jul 17, 2021
MadJonez:

You can share your experience in Russia based on your perspective on this thread.
Don't just say he left the bad part out without saying what it is he left out
Some people are always optimistic about everything. Some are very realistic.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Jorussia(m): 6:03pm On Jul 17, 2021
MadJonez:

There is no country on earth where racism is totally absent.Russia is not doing bad when it comes to racism.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 6:22pm On Jul 17, 2021
Jorussia:
There is no country on earth where racism is totally absent.Russia is not doing bad when it comes to racism.

The reason i doubt this is the Russians I know outside Russia are very racist. If you encounter them in France or Germany or Poland, they are the worst.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Jorussia(m): 6:46pm On Jul 17, 2021
ChristoBam:

The reason i doubt this is the Russians I know outside Russia are very racist. If you encounter them in France or Germany or Poland, they are the worst.
With the exception of France,the rest two countries you mentioned have over the years gained notoriety for racism.I don't want to argue with you,because everybody have different experiences.Russia is not a perfect country,with minimal racism.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 6:51pm On Jul 17, 2021
Jorussia:
With the exception of France,the rest two countries you mentioned have over the years gained notoriety for racism.I don't want to argue with you,because everybody have different experiences.Russia is not a perfect country,with minimal racism.
You guys went into Russia expecting the very worst. So when you got there and things were not that bad, everything became mostly positive in your perspective. But trust me, most of the treatments and disdain you get from these guys are not normal.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:13pm On Jul 19, 2021
ChristoBam:

You guys went into Russia expecting the very worst. So when you got there and things were not that bad, everything became mostly positive in your perspective. But trust me, most of the treatments and disdain you get from these guys are not normal.
Nigerians get treated with disdain IN NIGERIA
Especially if you are of certain ethnic groups.
Saka Sancho and Rashford missed penalties
I am sure you saw the response that followed

Americans who are black still face hell in America even though America is their country.
Why should anyone expect to be cuddled in Russia?
I feel that as long as the perceived racism is not insidious or violent threat to life
Its not that bad.
Thats my view

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 12:40am On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Nigerians get treated with disdain IN NIGERIA
Especially if you are of certain ethnic groups.
Saka Sancho and Rashford missed penalties
I am sure you saw the response that followed

Americans who are black still face hell in America even though America is their country.
Why should anyone expect to be cuddled in Russia?
I feel that as long as the perceived racism is not insidious or violent threat to life
Its not that bad.
Thats my view

The thing is that an Ibo guy that has lived in the Southwest for a long time can pass as a Yoruba guy and vice versa.
Unlike racism. You're black and you go into the metro, everyone knows you're different just by looking at you. Anywhere you go, you stand out just by the color of your skin..There's nothing you can do about that.
Btwm Racists in Russia can get really violent. In Russia black guys do many things to be on the safer sides. Those that are not in Moscow or Saint Petersburg move in groups in the night. Whenever they want to date any Russian lady, they make sure she has no entanglements or exes that still wants to win her back. When a Russian guy confronts you,you back down. Even when you're on a date with your girl, just chop the disgrace. So many unspoken rules.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 7:53am On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

The thing is that an Ibo guy that has lived in the Southwest for a long time can pass as a Yoruba guy and vice versa.
Unlike racism. You're black and you go into the metro, everyone knows you're different just by looking at you. Anywhere you go, you stand out just by the color of your skin..There's nothing you can do about that.
Btwm Racists in Russia can get really violent. In Russia black guys do many things to be on the safer sides. Those that are not in Moscow or Saint Petersburg move in groups in the night. Whenever they want to date any Russian lady, they make sure she has no entanglements or exes that still wants to win her back. When a Russian guy confronts you,you back down. Even when you're on a date with your girl, just chop the disgrace. So many unspoken rules.
This is similar to living in the American South
Or parts of Northern Nigeria
Especially when it comes to the lady part
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 11:07am On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

This is similar to living in the American South
Or parts of Northern Nigeria
Especially when it comes to the lady part
Lol that's a big lie.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 11:11am On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

Lol that's a big lie.
Its the truth
Black folks are still lynched even in 2021 in the American South
Black folks being shot like dogs by racist white people
Ahmad Arbery
Breonna Taylor
Tamar Rice
Michael
And the many other names I cant remember

At least in Russia you are less likely to be shot by racists.
As a black person
Regardless of where you are
These discomforts Is what we have to deal with

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Its the truth
Ahmad Arbery
Breonna Taylor
Tamar Rice
Michael

As a black person

What are you saying? There's a context behind all the shootings you're claiming. These ones are wrong shootings by police. Or Ahmad that was suspected of robbing a place. Some white idiots tried to pull citizens arrest. And he got into a scuffle with one of them and it led to a shooting. There's always a context.

I'm saying in Russia, you can get targeted for just being black and get stabbed to death for nothing sake. You can escape an attack and go to the police and nothing will happen. If yoy die nothing will happen.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 3:25pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Its the truth
Ahmad Arbery
Breonna Taylor
Tamar Rice
Michael

As a black person

If you compare America with a huge successful black community to a homogenous lawless country like Russia, then you're living in denial.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 3:35pm On Jul 20, 2021
I'm not saying Russia is not a good destination if there are no other options. Just know the facts before you go.

Don't let anyone tell you it's because of Hollywood's portrayal of Russia. Hollywood has never portrayed Russia to be a Racist country. Russia is a racist country, simple! It might be getting better but it's still far away from the level of acceptance you'll get in the UK, US or other EU countries.

Some guys will talk about how Russia has been great to them, how everyone's nice, how there's no racism bla bla and in another breathe they'll tell you how they escaped an attack on the metro or on the street.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Jorussia(m): 3:46pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:
I'm not saying Russia is not a good destination if there are no other options. Just know the facts before you go.

Don't let anyone tell you it's because of Hollywood's portrayal of Russia. Hollywood has never portrayed Russia to be a Racist country. Russia is a racist country, simple! It might be getting better but it's still far away from the level of acceptance you'll get in the UK, US or other EU countries.

Some guys will talk about how Russia has been great to them, how everyone's nice, how there's no racism bla bla and in another breathe they'll tell you how they escaped an attack on the metro or on the street.
Have you lived in Russia before?
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2021
Jorussia:
Have you lived in Russia before?
I was in Ukraine to study but was a long time ago. And I ran back after a short while. I was still young and naive.

But I know a lot of guys even till today then went to Russia and ran back, then processed Ukraine. Some even got new passports. I know one that sat at home for almost a year writing SAT after running back.

Btwn they all say the same thing, no matter how terrible it is in Ukraine, it's far worse in Russia.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 5:26pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

What are you saying? There's a context behind all the shootings you're claiming. These ones are wrong shootings by police. Or Ahmad that was suspected of robbing a place. Some white idiots tried to pull citizens arrest. And he got into a scuffle with one of them and it led to a shooting. There's always a context.

I'm saying in Russia, you can get targeted for just being black and get stabbed to death for nothing sake. You can escape an attack and go to the police and nothing will happen If yoy die nothing will happen.
It's the exact same thing in the USA
Forget that story you are talking about, when you are mentioning context.
Most black males cant be calm in the presence of law enforcement in america
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 6:18pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

It's the exact same thing in the USA
Forget that story you are talking about, when you are mentioning context.
Most black males cant be calm in the presence of law enforcement in america

See as you mention law enforcement. In Russia you can't be calm with anyone except you dey gullible.

You'll just follow them on a boat trip and they'll come back to say you drowned. You got drunk and tried to swim.

You dey base your perception of the US on majorly politics. Racial tensions in the US was amplified in the media just because of elections.

I beg you don't try to convince people that racism in the US and Russia is almost the same. They'll just make the wrong decision and na people like you dem go dey curse.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 6:20pm On Jul 20, 2021
Go to any SM page you'll see the guys studying in Russia. Apart from the ladies and the ones studying medicine naso so hard faces you go dey see. It takes a special kind of courage and confidence to study in Russia.
Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 7:59pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

See as you mention law enforcement. In Russia you can't be calm with anyone except you dey gullible.

You'll just follow them on a boat trip and they'll come back to say you drowned. You got drunk and tried to swim.

You dey base your perception of the US on majorly politics. Racial tensions in the US was amplified in the media just because of elections.

I beg you don't try to convince people that racism in the US and Russia is almost the same. They'll just make the wrong decision and na people like you dem go dey curse.

Anyways
Seems like you already have your mind fixated
But I'll say this
Russia is not much different from the usa when you are talking of racism
In fact I often argue that racism in the usa is worse than in russia for the single fact that it is only USA in the whole world that codified and institutionalized racism in their laws and institutions
Jim crow and red lining should ring a bell.
Many many black people in the usa have gotten into trouble just because a white person called law enforcement on then
The jails are filled with innocent black men who their only crime was being black
Blacks get harsher sentence than whites for the same crimes committed and that is institutionalized

In russia there is nothing like that
Racism is more on a.personal level
Than institutional

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by ChristoBam: 10:26pm On Jul 20, 2021
RodgersAkpafu:

Anyways
Seems like you already have your mind fixated
But I'll say this
Russia is not much different from the usa when you are talking of racism
In fact I often argue that racism in the usa is worse than in russia for the single fact that it is only USA in the whole world that codified and institutionalized racism in their laws and institutions
Jim crow and red lining should ring a bell.
Many many black people in the usa have gotten into trouble just because a white person called law enforcement on then
The jails are filled with innocent black men who their only crime was being black
Blakcks get harsher sentence than whites for the same crimes committed and that isinstitutionalized

In russia there is nothing like that
Racism is more on a.personal level
Than institutional

Wow just look at you mentioning Jim Crow. I could as well refer to as early as the early 2000s when Russian universally used to lock university hostels to protect the black students on some particular dates.

False accusations can be made against you whether you're black or white. Like I said, you're falling for the politics of the media..White guys, Asian guys and black guys get falsely accused of Rape, theft and what not everyday. One thing is certain you'll get your day in court.

If you have sex with a girl and she screams rape, what facts would you use to defend yourself whether you're black or white? It has nothing to do with color. If you have a good lawyer, you can even have a jury picked that'll favor you just because you're black.

In Russia if a girl accuses you of rape as a black guy. Just run.

You can't compare please.

You speak of institutionalized racism but so many black people are head of huge organizations in the US. How's it in Russia with the foreigners there? I'm not even talking of only the blacks o.

The ones working in certain organizations in Russia, can they boldly say they have a chance of ever getting a good position in that organization?

And you talk of institutionalized racism?

You even talk of institutionalized racism in US laws? In 2021? Seems your knowledge about the US is based on the early 90s.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by Jorussia(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

I was in Ukraine to study but was a long time ago. And I ran back after a short while. I was still young and naive.

But I know a lot of guys even till today then went to Russia and ran back, then processed Ukraine. Some even got new passports. I know one that sat at home for almost a year writing SAT after running back.

Btwn they all say the same thing, no matter how terrible it is in Ukraine, it's far worse in Russia.
I nor go fit follow u argue.I don't know who in his right mind go dey study or work legitimately for Russia go leave am go Ukraine.Except the people when come Russia with fan id when realise say it's an herculean task to legalise your self na him return back to Nigeria.Russia na 2nd grade abroad and any body when want leave dey go Germany,canada,usa,finland and other first grade abroad.why would anybody go want go Ukraine when be the poorest country for Europe is something that is lugubrious to me.Have u seen the video of an black guy that racially beaten up in Ukraine last month?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Russia-my Experience So Far by RodgersAkpafu: 10:47pm On Jul 20, 2021
ChristoBam:

Wow just look at you mentioning Jim Crow. I could as well refer to as early as the early 2000s when Russian universally used to lock university hostels to protect the black students on some particular dates.

False accusations can be made against you whether you're black or white. Like I said, you're falling for the politics of the media..White guys, Asian guys and black guys get falsely accused of Rape, theft and what not everyday. One thing is certain you'll get your day in court.

If you have sex with a girl and she screams rape, what facts would you use to defend yourself whether you're black or white? It has nothing to do with color. If you have a good lawyer, you can even have a jury picked that'll favor you just because you're black.

In Russia if a girl accuses you of rape as a black guy. Just run.

You can't compare please.

You speak of institutionalized racism but so many black people are head of huge organizations in the US. How's it in Russia with the foreigners there? I'm not even talking of only the blacks o.

The ones working in certain organizations in Russia, can they boldly say they have a chance of ever getting a good position in that organization?

And you talk of institutionalized racism?

You even talk of institutionalized racism in US laws? In 2021? Seems your knowledge about the US is based on the early 90s.
If you think institutional racism is not a problem in America
Even in 2021
Then I'm afraid
You are looking at the USA using rose tinted glasses
My point has always been
As a black man
Dont expect to he cuddled up ANYWHERE
Getting the short end of the stick is a likelihood
Everywhere
Period

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (28) (Reply)

12 Beautiful Resorts In Nigeria Where You Can Enjoy Your Honeymoon / Tanker Carrying Petrol Explodes With Driver Trapped inside In Ebonyi (Photos) / Car Splits Into Two After Accident In Delta, But Driver Walks Out Alive. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.