Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako (48825 Views)

Pictures Of President Buhari, Goodluck Jonathan, Other African Leaders In Accra / Myanmar Coup: Jonathan Calls For Release Of Aung San Suu Kyi / Photos Of President Buhari In Bamako, Mali (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by BleedingPen: 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2020
West African leaders arrived in Mali on Saturday to try to push for a speedy return to civilian rule after a military coup in the troubled nation.

The delegation, headed by former Nigerian president Goodluck Jonathan, planning to meet members of the new junta as well as ousted president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita.

Rebel soldiers seized Keita and other leaders after a mutiny on Tuesday, dealing another deep blow to a country already struggling with a brutal Islamist insurgency and widespread public discontent over its government.

Mali’s neighbours have called for Keita to be reinstated, saying the purpose of the delegation’s visit was to help “ensure the immediate return of constitutional order”.

A delegation official said they would meet members of the junta and later Keita, who is being held with prime minister Boubou Cisse in Kati, a military base northwest of Bamako where the coup was unleashed.

Adding to the international pressure, the United States on Friday suspended military aid to Mali, with no further training or support of the Mali armed forces.

– ‘We won’ –

But thousands of jubilant Malians took to the streets of Bamako on Friday to celebrate the toppling of Keita, who was reelected in 2018 but became the focus of widespread discontent.

The crowds gathered in Bamako’s central square draped in the national flag and blasting on vuvuzela horns.

The rally, originally organised as an anti-Keita protest by a loose coalition that has led months of mass rallies against him, was recast to “celebrate the victory of the Malian people”.

“I am overjoyed! We won,” said Mariam Cisse, 38.

Speaking at the rally Ismael Wague, spokesman for the junta which calls itself the National Committee for the Salvation of the People, paid tribute to the public.

“We merely completed the work that you began and we recognise ourselves in your fight,” he said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/breaking-coup-jonathan-other-west-african-leaders-arrive-in-mali/%3famp=1

Former Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan (2L) walks at the International Airport in Bamako upon his arrival on August 22, 2020 next to by Malick Diaw (L), the Vice President of the National Committee for the Salvation of the People. (Photo by ANNIE RISEMBERG / AFP)

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by essiestyle: 4:22pm On Aug 22, 2020
my Africa my Africa God help thee

34 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by highdon(m): 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
They should not cause further harm to that country, you can imagine a coup more peaceful than elections in Africa generally

185 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by abdullahi45: 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
U
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
Clueless Useless fellow he should first visit Aso Rock.

Why are we poking our nose outside when we are overwhelmed by a burden of problems.

When we can't set our own house right what are we doing in the neighbors house?

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by mindengrave(m): 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
Great
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by colorsofrainbow: 7:39pm On Aug 22, 2020
Baba,after Yar'adua na YOU...
wetin we dey see now from some people darling daddy na another thing wey be say na only few see before em enter
Oya zombies,come & masturbate

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by Movieplug(m): 7:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
Lets see how it turns out
Copy hd movies into your hard drive if you stay in ph, check my signature

1 Like

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by Derbiy(f): 7:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
If it were Bubu, I would have known there’s no hope. The last time he was there, coup followed shortly after�

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by gambia(m): 7:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
The coup must stand, most of Africa democratic leaders are too greedy, same way the likes of mugabe, yahya Jammeh and co were forced out.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by revived: 7:40pm On Aug 22, 2020
ohhhh
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by tillaman(m): 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Hold all the bad eggs down in Mali

1 Like

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by bankulizer: 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Please who's Jonathan's Tailor? That guy needs 6000 strokes of cane grin The trouser can contain 12 goats.

To be candid. I admire Jonathan. Lifeman smiley

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by galuayan: 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
awon guys yen binu tan
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by MsAllison(f): 7:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
to think that I defended this man called GEJ makes me sick

4 Likes

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by wetmenow: 7:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
GEJ THE PEACEMAKER.
Abeg Nigeria need dat coup urgently. we need to end boko harambee and banditry.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by bigdammyj: 7:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
Ok
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by Sonnobax15(m): 7:42pm On Aug 22, 2020
embarassed To do what exactly?
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by collum(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
peace is all I wish to befall the marlians. civil unrest in one locations affect other region
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by uchelouis45(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Derbiy:
If it were Bubu, I would have known there’s no hope. The last time he was there, coup followed shortly after�
Buhari asked the mutineers to strike? I didnt know this o.

1 Like

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by ainas247: 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
sad Let there be peace...

meanwhile, when people search for product
like yours on Google let me help your
website show up
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by dalass(f): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Hmmmm

Meeting upon meeting grin
Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by slowice(m): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
They should negotiate well and do the right thing..... But malians are happy.

4 Likes

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by byinks(f): 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2020
Pray for GEJ.

6 Likes

Re: Mali Coup: Jonathan, Other West African Leaders Arrive In Bamako by ishowdotgmail(m): 7:44pm On Aug 22, 2020
Jonathan, Buhari’s errand boy

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ike Ekweremadu Emerges Deputy-Senate President Of 8th Senate / Photos Of The Only Secondary School In Governor Of Kogi's (gov. Wada) Village / APC Likely To Lose Edo Election, Security Report Shows - Sahara Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.