Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,322 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:23 PM

Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? (615 Views)

Looking To Build A Modular Refinery? / Investors Needed For A Modular Refinery In Nigeria / Dangote Refinery: Africa’s Biggest Refinery Takes Shape (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 11:30am On Aug 23, 2020
I've gone through the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resource's General Requirement and Guidance Information for the Establishment of Modular Refineries in Nigeria. I'm also aware that license have been given to about 38 firms to establish modular refineries in Nigeria, yet only about 3 have constructed or are constructing.

For those that know more than I do, I seek to know if its advisable to invest in the downstream sector (modular refinery operation) of the petroleum industry. Considering the technical economics and operational elements required to make it commercially viable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by Frezhkid10(m): 1:37pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:
I've gone through the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resource's General Requirement and Guidance Information for the Establishment of Modular Refineries in Nigeria. I'm also aware that license have been given to about 38 firms to establish modular refineries in Nigeria, yet only about 3 have constructed or are constructing.

For those that know more than I do, I seek to know if its advisable to invest in the downstream sector (modular refinery operation) of the petroleum industry. Considering the technical economics and operational elements required to make it commercially viable.
Cc:
Ahiboilandgas

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 5:31pm On Aug 23, 2020
Frezhkid10:

Cc:
Ahiboilandgas
why not appoint me as business consultant to the projects for a fee......u want to build refinery na us small investors u dey ask are you for real

1 Like

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by Mide3367: 6:28pm On Aug 23, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
why not appoint me as business consultant to the projects for a fee......u want to build refinery na us small investors u dey ask are you for real
lol
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 6:42pm On Aug 23, 2020
ahiboilandgas:

I know how capital intensive investments in the oil sector are. However, every project starts with a single idea, and most times, this doesn't come from the money bags.

So tell me, why do you think the Modular refinery project hasn't so far been a success in Nigeria. I've read of and heard several reasons, I just need more. Its always good to know more (if possible ALL) of the disadvantages/possibilities of failure before venturing into anything.

3 Likes

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ThreeSquirrels: 6:47pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

I know how capital intensive investments in the oil sector are. However, every project starts with a single idea, and most times, this doesn't come from the money bags.

So tell me, why do you think the Modular refinery project hasn't so far been a success in Nigeria. I've read of and heard several reasons, I just need more. Its always good to know more (if possible ALL) of the disadvantages/possibilities of failure before venturing into anything.

Spoke brilliantly.
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 23, 2020
It is obvious, you are writing a research proposal and need diverse information from readers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 7:55pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

are u writing a thesis for the award of a degree
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 8:39pm On Aug 23, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
are u writing a thesis for the award of a degree

lol. NO. This is not an academic exercise, and why its not in the Education Forum. Besides, NL is definitely not a place to get referenceable materials.
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 8:41pm On Aug 23, 2020
Godlylifeoneart:
It is obvious, you are writing a research proposal and need diverse information from readers.

And you feel this is a good place to source for research materials?
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by sonnie10: 8:51pm On Aug 23, 2020
The first question an investor would consider is, what is the closest alternative? Import of refined products or alternative energy source (like electric vehicles) are the only two businesses that could compete with or hinder the market shares of a modular refinery.
Now, compare the economic value of these alternatives, considering availability and sustainability of each and you will have the answer. What advantage does modular refinery have over others.
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 9:15pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

And you feel this is a good place to source for research materials?
refinery tends to be profitable from 100 thousand barrels daily... smaller refinery can only produce deseal and the grade can compet with the one from real refinery.....grade (density)

Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by SavageResponse(m): 9:30pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

I'm not sure it's commercially viable to profitably operate a modular refinery in Niger because it have very high fixed costs but prices are regulated in Nigeria therefore it will be difficulty to break even because the capacity of the refinery is limited
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 9:50pm On Aug 23, 2020
SavageResponse:

I'm not sure it's commercially viable to profitably operate a modular refinery in Niger because it have very high fixed costs but prices are regulated in Nigeria therefore it will be difficulty to break even because the capacity of the refinery is limited

Will this narrative change if/when the downstream sector is fully deregulated or PMB finally decides to accent to the Petroleum Industry Bill? Or are there other problems? e.g. the "Nigerian factors"?
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 10:00pm On Aug 23, 2020
sonnie10:
The first question an investor would consider is, what is the closest alternative? Import of refined products or alternative energy source (like electric vehicles) are the only two businesses that could compete with or hinder the market shares of a modular refinery.
Now, compare the economic value of these alternatives, considering availability and sustainability of each and you will have the answer. What advantage does modular refinery have over others.

Well, refining locally will definitely be cheaper, because transportation and other logistics involved in importation will be greatly reduced. On alternative source of energy, I don't think Nigeria is ready for that. Remember that Ben Murray Bruce present a bill on this, and the House overwhelmingly voted against it.

I feel the greatest problem against modular refining in Nigeria is political, and this really scares the willing foreign investors.
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 10:05pm On Aug 23, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
refinery tends to be profitable from 100 thousand barrels daily... smaller refinery can only produce deseal and the grade can compet with the one from real refinery.....grade (density)

Are you aware that quality PMS is illegally refined in the creeks in Niger Delta? If this can be done illegally, why not also legally?
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 10:14pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

Are you aware that quality PMS is illegally refined in the creeks in Niger Delta? If this can be done illegally, why not also legally?
am aware time bomb is been poorly refractorted in the creeks ...without chemist on ground to take flash points but some ogogoro drinking boys thing organic chemistry and hydrocarbon na play .....abi chemist no worry to explain
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by SavageResponse(m): 10:17pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

Will this narrative change if/when the downstream sector is fully deregulated or PMB finally decides to accent to the Petroleum Industry Bill? Or are there other problems? e.g. the "Nigerian factors"?

The Nigerian factor will always affect project dynamics for a long time until Nigerian learn to be contented and not steal grin

Once the government has the balls to deregulate the Oil Sector it will open up the sector to more players because refineries will be more profitable since the owners will then be able to charge cost reflective prices for their products
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by backbone503(m): 11:11pm On Aug 23, 2020
ahiboilandgas:
am aware time bomb is been poorly refractorted in the creeks ...without chemist on ground to take flash points but some ogogoro drinking boys thing organic chemistry and hydrocarbon na play .....abi chemist no worry to explain

You call someone skilled in the art of fractional distillation an "ogogoro drinking boy"? Those guys are very skilled and highly literate.
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 11:15pm On Aug 23, 2020
backbone503:

You call someone skilled in the art of fractional distillation an "ogogoro drinking boy"? Those guys are very skilled and highly literate.
story i watch aljeezera documentary on poorly high explosives refining processes with raw fire and woods .....causing permanent damage to the ecology and risking the live of innocent consumer of their deadly cock tails
Re: Is Setting Up A Modular Refinery In Nigeria A Good Idea? by ahiboilandgas: 11:18pm On Aug 23, 2020
They dont even have thermometers to know at what temperatures pms is distilling talkless of fractionation......they bunch oil thieve and nusaince
......they are driven by greed ,money fail state called Nigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Invest In Cryptos Now Or..... / Saudi Arabia Launches City With 'zero Car, Zero Street, Zero Carbon Emission / Lotto Winning Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.