Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

The Unexplained Cripple And Numbness We Experience In Our Bodies - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Unexplained Cripple And Numbness We Experience In Our Bodies (380 Views)

COVID-19 In Ecuador: Cardboard Coffins, Over 100 Bodies Litter The Streets / COVID-19: Dead Bodies Are Loaded Into Refrigerated Truck With Forklift In U.S. / 11-Year-Old Blind And Cripple Girl Abandoned By Her Parents In Akwa Ibom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Unexplained Cripple And Numbness We Experience In Our Bodies by tmphoto(m): 4:22pm On Aug 24, 2020
Let’s talk about the worse or dramatic [/b][/i]health crisis[i][b] we wake up to. This so called crisis has happened to me countless number of time and I decide to research about it and thank God now I know the cause.

[/b]NERVE COMPRESSION[b]

Unexplained numbness in your hands can be an alarming symptom to wake up with, but it’s usually nothing to worry about if that’s your only symptom.

Chances are it’s probably a result of nerve compression due to your sleeping position.

[/i]However, if you have numbness in your hands alongside any other unusual symptoms, like numbness elsewhere, make an appointment with your healthcare provider.[i]

Nerve compression happens when something (in this case, the position of your arms) puts extra pressure on a nerve.

If your hand is numb, it’s likely due to compression of your ulnar, radial, or median nerves. Each of these nerves start at your neck. They run down your arms and through your hands.

And yes there are three (3) types of Nerve Compression
[/b](1) Ulnar Nerve Compression[b]
Your ulnar nerve helps control forearm muscles that allow you to grip things. It also provides sensation to your pinky and the half of your ring finger next to your pinky in both the front and back of your hand. Ulnar nerve compression usually results from too much pressure on your elbow or wrist.
if you sleep with your arms and hands curled inward, you might feel numbness in
*your pinky and the pinky side of your ring finger
*the part of your palm under these fingers
*the back of your hand under these fingers

[/b](2) Median Nerve Compression[b]
Your median nerve controls muscles and sensation in your index and middle fingers. It’s also responsible for muscles and sensations in the middle-finger side of your ring fingers and in your thumb on the palm side.Compression of the median nerve also tends to happen at your elbow or wrist, so curling up in the fetal position may leave you with numbness:
*on the front (palm) side of your thumb, index, middle, and half of your ring finger (the half on the middle finger side)
*around the base of your thumb on the palm side

[/b](3) Radial Nerve Compression[b]
Your radial nerve controls the muscles used to extend your fingers and your wrist. It’s also responsible for the muscles and sensations in the back of your hand and thumb. Falling asleep on your arm or wrist, for example, could cause numbness:
*in your index finger
*on the back side of your thumb
*in the webbing between your index finger and thumb

[/b]How To Manage It[b]
You can usually manage nerve compression at night by changing up your sleeping position.

Here are some tips that can help:
*Avoid sleeping in the fetal position. Sleeping with your arms and elbows bent can put more pressure on your nerves and cause numbness.

*If you sleep on your stomach, try to keep your arms out at your sides. Sleeping with them under your body can put too much pressure on them and cause numbness.

*Sleep with your arms at your sides instead of above your head. Sleeping with your arms above your head can cause numbness by cutting off circulation to your hands.

*Avoid folding your arms under your pillow while you sleep. The weight of your head can put pressure on your wrists or elbows and compress a nerve.

And that’s it about the Unexplained Numbness we usually have right after waking up or even in the middle of our sleep.

You can also share your experiences and how you reacted to it. �

Re: The Unexplained Cripple And Numbness We Experience In Our Bodies by knowhowk: 5:19pm On Aug 24, 2020
Helpful Tips.Thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Constipation Natural Treatments / Please Help,does This Multivitamin Really Works / How To Cure Hemorrhoids (pile) Without Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.