Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 AM

Edo Politics - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Edo Politics (147 Views)

About Edo Politics From An APC Insider In Edo State / I'm The He-Goat Of Edo Politics - Oshiomhole / Oshiomhole Speaks On ‘becoming New Godfather’ Of Edo Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Edo Politics by dassyslimmy(m): 9:34am On Aug 25, 2020
I am not trying to be partisan here but I will like to discuss to the best of my knowledge about Edo politics. I am not an Edo man, neither am I APC nor PDP. I am only a student of politics revolution in Nigeria. Edo state is divided into three senatorial district which is tantamount to it's ethnic division. We have Edo north which harbours the Akoko Edo people also the great Auchi people. Adams Oshiomole (former Governor) and present deputy Governor ,Philip Shuiabu is from northern Edo. We have the Edo central which harbours the Owan's , Esan's and the Etsako people. While Edo south is predominantly habitated by the Bini people. The incumbent Governor ,Godwin Obaseki and the gubernatorial candidate of the APC , Pastor Ize Ayamu is from this region.

Now the politics, Let me first put this clear that politics in Nigeria is played along ethnic line. We are really ethno bigotry in this country. Edo state since 1999 has had a beautiful democracy. Lucky Igbenedion was the governor of Edo state in 1999 and he was from the Edo south region, a Bini man. Fast forward to 2007 after Lucky's two term , a man from Edo central ,Osaheimen Osunbor became the Governor for just one year, yes, for just a year 2007 to 2008 because his election was declared invalid by INEC. Adam Oshiomole who is from Edo north became the governor. He was the governor for eight years then in 2016 , a Bini man i.e Godwin Obaseki became the governor till date (2020).

The twist is that no one from Edo central has spent a full four year term as governor since 1999. The Esan nation(Edo central) can only have their governorship aspiration fulfilled if they support Obaseki now and by 2024 , they will take the governorship seat or they wait till 2028 when Pastor Ize Ayamu finshes his two term as governor.

Personally I think the Esan nation will team up and support Obaseki to become governor for the second term so that they can have their person in corridor of power of the state since the dismissal of Osunbor who only spent a year as the governor of the state.

This election from my view is really going to be interesting, the incumbent Governor is from the south ,his deputy is from the north and the central really wants to hold power ASAP. However, for the opposition, Adams Oshiomole is from Edo north, pastor Ize Ayamu is from Edo south and his deputy Gani Audu is from Etsako west which is also Edo North (western part of Etsako is categorised under Edo north while some other part of Etsako are central Edo).

As a political ideologist and analyst in the making, I don't need a crystal ball to tell me what will happen come September 19,2020.

written by Dassyham

(1) (Reply)

Bayo Oluwasanmi Needs To Return To Evening School / Fani-kayode Under Criticism For Calling Journalist "Stupid" / We'll Fight States Hiding Behind COVID-19 To Sack Workers - NLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.