Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,886 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:40 AM

Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! (65199 Views)

Nigeria Warns Nationals Against Travelling To Northern Cyprus See Brutal Details / Video Of Out Of School Children In Northern Nigeria Stir Panic Online / Universities In Northern Cyprus ‘illegal’ – Ambassador (University World News) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 10:03am On Aug 25, 2020
I have always wanted to warn Nigerian students seeking prospects in Europe or abroad generally to remove the option of TRNC from their list but l lacked the motivation, that time to sit down and pen a lengthy post discouraged me, but in lieu of the recent headlines on the news, I will say my bit and warn anyone who probably has been nursing that idea to desist from going there!

I felt the agents who processed my admission for me were not fair to me as they ought to have warned me enough but anyway, it's a dog eat dog world. They were only interested in loning their pockets.

Though, the news going round on social media that hundreds of Nigerian students have been killed there is grossly over exaggerated, there have been some killings but Northern Cyprus still remains safer than most part of Nigeria to be candid!

The TRNC is a country which is not recognized by any country in the world aside from Turkey, they have no natural resources or industries to generate revenue from, so they built some universities all over the country and they branded the Island as A STUDENT FRIENDLY ISLAND, may God punish them for that deceit!

The only source of revenue for the Northern Cyprus government is Education, their own citizens dont attend their universities, they mostly school in the UK,Turkey or the southern part of the island which is under the EU zone, to further enhance the scheme of luring unsuspecting students to the island, the TRNC is one of the easiest countries you can travel to as a prospective student, I bet it is not one of the easiest but the easiest!

A prospective student can apply and get admission in 3 days and you dont need a Visa to go there ,you only need your admission letter and your original school documents to go there, a process called OK to BOARD so most Nigerians who have been denied admission or have been denied Visa in other countries have no choice than to jump at that offer, A prospective student who applied Today can be in TRNC in less than 2 weeks to show how fast it is!

All this is to encourage students to come to the island and help their economy, the TRNC is a very expensive country to survive in,it costs about 300 pounds on the average to get a decent 2 bedroom flat and the hostel fees on the average cost about 3000 euros per semester aside from school fees, let me break it down further, 3k euros in Naira is equivalent to 1.5m per semester and we have 2 major semester in an academic year which means an average of 3m on accommodation alone, The tuition fees here starts from 2500 Euros per semester on the average! Which is roughly 2.7m in Naira.

Now that's not the worse part, the worse part is the day to day living on the island, it costs about 40 turkish lira to take a taxi to any location and that's about 2,400 naira and 4800 in total,for a to and fro journey though there are school buses which the government claims to be free but they are not entirely free as the cost of transportation has been deducted from your school fees.

The TRNC government lures student to the island to boost sectors such as housing as accommodation is very expensive, even the locals here dont pay what foreigners pay for housing they pay lesser, students come in to boost the tourism sector, the hospitals and pharmacies benefits from it, the transportation sector benefits from it and ofcourse it creates that multiplier effect that propels their economy.

Any household item or commodity whatsoever that you desire to purchase here is over 7 times the rate in naira, let me give examples, it costs over 2500 naira to buy a pain killer like panadol which cost around 200 naira, it costs about 15k to buy a charger for your phone, electricity bills can be as high as 60000 naira in a month during the summer and winter months when the air condition and heater has to be used, yes I said 60000 naira, Gas and water bill is something else entirely, the price of everything there is Jaw dropping as the prices are inflated to leach every penny from foreigners, they believe that every student especially Nigerians are rich!

When you register as a new student here,their universities will seize your original certificates to trap you so you wont leave and if you decide to leave the school you will be asked to pay termination fees in addition to whatever debt you probably owe the school!

Is it not crazy that a friend had to drop out on financial reasons and he was asked to pay over 2800 euros with the fees he owed the school before he will get his original certificates which he submitted while registering as a fresher!

Some of the institutions here fail students deliberately so that they can keep paying this school fees and trap them in the system to keep boosting their economy.

To crown it all, their are no jobs there coupled with the harsh and expensive living conditions many students have no options than to engage in petty vices.

95 percent of the universities there, the degrees are not Recognized by several international bodies, what the agents mostly do in Nigeria is to tell Nigerians that they are going to Cyprus and they will think they are going to the Southern part of the island which is an EU zone but on getting to Cyprus they are taken to the North. In fact the temporary residence permit wont take you to any country and since the country is not recognized most countries dont have embassies there which means to relocate you probably have to get a Tourist visa from here to Turkey which is not so difficult to apply to any country of your choice.

No b all abroad b abroad, and na small the north Cyprus take fine pass Nigeria sef, the roads are not so good and the houses are not so rushed.

According to the last NANS report there are approximately 30000 Nigerian students on this island and we have Zimbabweans, Congolese and other countries from other developing nations both in the middle east and Asia here.

My advice to all prospective students, if you are nurturing the idea of coming here to work while schooling please jettison those ideas. In fact dead it!

North Cyprus is not worth it ,one bit! I have spoken and its finally out of my conscience, who get ear make e hear!

And as for the grammar police wey go wan check my post for spelling errors and punctuations, this post is to share my experience there and warn prospective students against going to that expensive island.

800 Likes 103 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by ForestHill: 10:17am On Aug 25, 2020
Tremendous article

191 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Mintyguy(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2020
With this your article,my fear just heightened for a friend who went there early this year

240 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by PetersKID(m): 10:42am On Aug 25, 2020
� � � � grammar police, give me your name either first name or middle name. I want to share this on my page.

30 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by ojaydedon(m): 10:58am On Aug 25, 2020
An eye opener..

All those travel agent's should chill. Stop deceiving people just because you want to make money..

Even those that want to travel out for studies, make proper research about where you are going to before you start processing..
Not all abroad is abroad...
Let you zeal to want to study abroad not overcome your sense of reasoning....

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 11:13am On Aug 25, 2020
PetersKID:
� � � � grammar police, give me your name either first name or middle name. I want to share this on my page.

Just put Anonymous

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Inuendo: 11:25am On Aug 25, 2020
Word on marble for today:

No b all abroad b abroad

Lalasticlala this is enlightening, don't you think so too?

360 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Elxandre(m): 11:32am On Aug 25, 2020
This is quite shocking.

It's sheer wickedness to send people there as a travel agent

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by able88(m): 11:40am On Aug 25, 2020
You just blacklisted a beautiful country. How long have you lived there to know all these?
Or are your facts based on hearsays?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by OtemAtum: 11:40am On Aug 25, 2020
Quite enlightening.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by FreeSpirited: 11:54am On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
You just blacklisted a beautiful country. How long have you lived there to know all these?
Or is it hearsays?

Why not travel there, and live or school there to confirm. Since it's ya beautiful dream country.

439 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by TERFAU(m): 11:58am On Aug 25, 2020
Na wah
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by jodpoundz(m): 11:59am On Aug 25, 2020
coolwell its good to be back on nairalandwell its good to be back on nairalandwell its good to be back on nairaland

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by airoport: 12:03pm On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
Or is it hearsays?
With over a hundred Nigerian students dead, this article mildly describes the country, I dare say.

151 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by MsZee(f): 12:04pm On Aug 25, 2020
Why wasn't this moved to front page? If na useless topics mods will quickly rush it there.

59 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
Or is it hearsays?

Long enough, you can barely survive on 100k a month aside from rent

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Kharol1234: 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lovely piece, who get ears make him hear

6 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by yomi96(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lalasticlala seun mynd44 front page sharp

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by AmnotMe: 12:33pm On Aug 25, 2020
with the way i am positioned; there is no way am
goin to be able to afford an android phone. Am earning o, but not enough. Its just to put
food on the table.
Am Currently using nokie5 symbian phone, one
kind man gifted me that last yr after i sold my
phone to raise money for stuffs. With the trend of new smartphone looks now;
some of you will hv old android phone u r not
using cos of the outdated look and all. Brother,
sister, i will gladly accept anyone u throw at me as
long it can do whatsapp. and i will go on to say a
heart deep prayer for you(i know u r blessed already) just to appreciate. Yes; am begging i know.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by snowball11(m): 12:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
Or is it hearsays?

And what the heck is beautiful about North Cyprus? undecided

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by fabulous05(m): 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thanks for sharing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Choke1900(m): 12:38pm On Aug 25, 2020
Guys please the OP poured out is absolutely true and even worse. I was there for two years for a post graduate program after being lied to by the agent that I could work and school at the same time.

My two cents, if you must study in Cyprus choose the south side and get admission letter showing clearly its south Cyprus then get ready to learn some good ol greek ��

160 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by ideabuilder: 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
The part that got me is where you said North Cyprus is safer than Nigeria.

Anybody that die overseas have 100 times tendency to die in Nigeria if he had stayed.

Please at any slight opportunity run away from Nigeria

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Coldie(m): 12:52pm On Aug 25, 2020
Choke1900:
Guys please the OP poured out is absolutely true and even worse. I was there for two years for a post graduate program after being lied to by the agent that I could work and school at the same time.

My two cents, if you must study in Cyprus choose the south side and get admission letter showing clearly its south Cyprus then get ready to learn some good ol greek ��
There was a time here on nairaland that they were advertising north Cyprus universities, the advert was too much I knew sth wasn't right

109 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
ideabuilder:
The part that got me is where you said North Cyprus is safer than Nigeria.

Anybody that die overseas have 100 times tendency to die in Nigeria if he had stayed.

Please at any slight opportunity run away from Nigeria

The news about Nigerians dying from violence is over exaggerated, those are mere propaganda! I am not sure it's up to 10 in the last 3 years

14 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Iscoalarcon: 12:58pm On Aug 25, 2020
just like Buhari, I am shocked reading this piece

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Samakus(m): 1:04pm On Aug 25, 2020
Pretend that this is a snake and move this heartfelt true life story to the promised land to educate prospective magas that will be lured to North Cyprus. Can't you see that this Williams guy is saying the truth?

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Denique(f): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2020
North Cyprus sef follow for THE ABROAD?

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
Or is it hearsays?
You're wrong sir

I was ones there and quite something's he said are true

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Atheistan: 2:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
THIS IS CLEAR
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Dalil8: 2:30pm On Aug 25, 2020
A word is enough for the wise

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by seunlayi(m): 2:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
This need to get to front page to enlighten others

Thank you Mod for your listening ears unlike those in Abj

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Missing OAU Student Is Found Alive (Photo) / PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course / Answers To Exam Questions From A SS1 Student. PHOTOS (must See)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.