Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,480 members, 7,808,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? - Pets (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? (50910 Views)

A Look Into The Growth Of My Rabbit Farm... / Diary Of My Rabbit : Ghost / Rabbit Killed By My 3-Year-Old German Shepherd (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by TosinKate(f): 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2020
Sorry for the loss. I experienced this about 4 years ago. I lost all my rabbits, young, adult.... About 65 rabbits. It was viral infection. Hemoraggic......
In fact, I relocated my farm to another area.
Through my research and curiosity, I later found out that my animal source was the problem.
I bought those animals from a farmer in Abeokuta. The farmer bought the entire farm that had that same viral disease sometime ago, which resulted into disposal of the survival rabbits, cages and tools.

If that was the diagnosed disease, I would advise you slaughter other survivor, they are carriers and the viral infection may manifest later through them.
Kindly disinfect your farm, tools, cages thoroughly and allow to rest for a month before restocking.
Do not ever allow visitor on your farm and do not visit any farm.
If there is need for visitor to enter your farm, let them be disinfected.
All the best!

afeezet:
I lost all my rabbit about 30 of them, they said one viral shit is outside, I don't know how I could help them, I was just giving them antiviral drugs and multivitamin
Attached picture of empty home of all my rabbit, thank God I have 2survors

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by k4kenny(f): 5:18pm On Aug 26, 2020
RichieMichie:

Hey
That viral disease is RHD(Rabbit Hemorrhage Disease) that's in town now. And if that's the case, I'm sorry to say this, You have to cull that remaining 2 rabbits because they are carriers as it is. The virus is very insidious and can remain in surfaces for up to 6 months. You have to thoroughly disinfect your rabbitry and not restock for at least 6 months. Also don't visit other rabbit farms for the time being. You may likely be moving with the virus

And please, cull those 2 left if you don't want another outbreak

You're right. I heard of the RHD virus ravaging so many farms. some of rabbit farmers I'm in a whatsapp group with have lost their entire brood, one lost over 100!. It was very common in Oyo town and later moved on to Ogun state. It is not advisable to purchase new rabbits at this point.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by RichieMichie: 7:50pm On Aug 26, 2020
k4kenny:

You're right. I heard of the RHD virus ravaging so many farms. some of rabbit farmers I'm in a whatsapp group with have lost their entire brood, one lost over 100!. It was very common in Oyo town and later moved on to Ogun state. It is not advisable to purchase new rabbits at this point.

Oyo, Ogun and Kwara states are the major hits. Shits so saddening.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 9:21pm On Aug 26, 2020
Rockeet:

Going by the symptoms you stated, the rabbit is suffering from GIT, generally called BLOAT and this could have been as a result of overfeeding or under feeding, insufficient water, dirts accumulation, wrong feeding practices, feeding wet grasses. And this irregularity kills rabbits very fast. There the survival of the rabbit is a 50:50 chance as there is no guaranteed cure for it, especially when you don't on the first day. The best way to cure it is to prevent it from happening and when it does happen withdraw formulated feed from the rabbit and serve air dried or wilthered edible grasses, some farmers dissolve white flagyl in water and give twice on the first day then once on the subsequent days till the rabbit is fine, mixture of charcoal and about 1ml palm oil just once, aloevera and bitter leaf juice, cinnamon powder. You may be fortunate to have you rabbit's health back. All the best

Thanks bro, i will kil it tomao...i am tired...i went to a vet today, it was given an injection and a white substance...but still it has not eaten
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 9:22pm On Aug 26, 2020
Eazie351:

i am not trying to wave aside your suspicion, but rabbits with teeth problem will constantly grind their teeth(you'll hear it), refuse to eat and occasionally drool saliva over their chin...

Oh it does not grind its teeth and it does not droo saliva over its chin...i quess i shud jes kill it and eat it...i went to a vet today yet it has not improve
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 9:26pm On Aug 26, 2020
TosinKate:
Sorry for the loss. I experienced this about 4 years ago. I lost all my rabbits, young, adult.... About 65 rabbits. It was viral infection. Hemoraggic......
In fact, I relocated my farm to another area.
Through my research and curiosity, I later found out that my animal source was the problem.
I bought those animals from a farmer in Abeokuta. The farmer bought the entire farm that had that same viral disease sometime ago, which resulted into disposal of the survival rabbits, cages and tools.

If that was the diagnosed disease, I would advise you slaughter other survivor, they are carriers and the viral infection may manifest later through them.
Kindly disinfect your farm, tools, cages thoroughly and allow to rest for a month before restocking.
Do not ever allow visitor on your farm and do not visit any farm.
If there is need for visitor to enter your farm, let them be disinfected.
All the best!

Tosinkate that must have been so painful... Thanks for your previous advice... Can i ask, do u still rear rabbit currently?
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by FarmTech(m): 11:46pm On Aug 26, 2020
midehill:
Hello guys i have been rearing rabbits for some months now and i noticed that one of my rabbit have not pooed since yesterday and it is going to 6 months old rabbit. It is big enough

My rabbit is not pooing and it is not eating too. It is also restricting its movement, please what could be the problem.

I don't want to lose it.

Please veterinary doctors and rabbit farmers/breeders in the house, what can i do to make it poo and eat again just like before.

Please i need urgent help, i dont want it to die.

Modified...

I also noticed it always stay in one place and pressing its stomach Down.

Please help move to front page, thank you, God bless you as you do that?

Pictures below:
.https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&q=rabbit+is+not+pooping+and+it+is+not+eating&spell=1
Read these:
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 8:23am On Aug 27, 2020
Modified
.[b][/b]

After taking it to a vet doctor yesterday, and after paying 1500. It was given an injection and a white substance in its mouth yet still it did not eat and poo yesterday...

I asked the vet when it will start eating, he said it should start eating by evening...but throughout it did not...

Unfortunately, this morning when i went to check my rabbit, i found it dead... It is so painful but what can i do... We move...

My advice to fellow rabbit rearers and farmers...ensure you avoid overfeeding and bloating at all cost... It is very deadly.

Seunh
Tosinkate
Eazie351
Rockeet
Afeezet
Noblebaba
Mayormick
Safari farm and others i did not mention their name

You guys need to see this

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Larrysung(m): 9:42am On Aug 27, 2020
chop am bros
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by seunH: 9:48am On Aug 27, 2020
midehill:
Modified
.[b][/b]

After taking it to a vet doctor yesterday, and after paying 1500. It was given an injection and a white substance in its mouth yet still it did not eat and poo yesterday...

I asked the vet when it will start eating, he said it should start eating by evening...but throughout it did not...

Unfortunately, this morning when i went to check my rabbit, i found it dead... It is so painful but what can i do... We move...

My advice to fellow rabbit rearers and farmers...ensure you avoid overfeeding and bloating at all cost... It is very deadly.

Seunh
Tosinkate
Eazie351
Rockeet
Afeezet
Noblebaba
Mayormick

I'm so sorry sir, this post just spoilt my mood. By the way, what did the vet tell you was wrong with your rabbit? what did the vet tell you was the name and purpose of the injection/white powder he gave to you? because the vet was supposed to tell you all these things. I'm so sorry once more

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Eazie351(m): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2020
midehill:
Modified
.[b][/b]

Seunh
Tosinkate
Eazie351
Rockeet
Afeezet
Noblebaba
Mayormick

this kind of occurrence saddens my heart, coming especially from prospective rabbit farmers, i totally understand if you didn't slaughter it... just 4 days ago, my mature HylaNg buck got it's legs stuck in the cage net overnight and it broke it's hind legs trying to struggle out of it...I couldn't bring myself to kill it....my point is...we eventually bond with rabbits cos of the care they demand from us is too high hence the reluctancy to slaughter them when sick.

Forza man! you'll rise again... it's an experience gained for you

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Newbreed2018: 12:17pm On Aug 27, 2020
midehill:

Oh it does not grind its teeth and it does not droo saliva over its chin... i quess i shud jes kill it and eat it ...i went to a vet today yet it has not improve
Oh no please don't. How will it taste in ur mouth knowing fully well u r eating a pet u so much cherish and attached to? Please don't eat this one. Buy another rabbit in the market and eat. I've seen how much u love this bunny. Allow it to die naturally and dispose. For conscience sake.

Modified: I see u lost the rabbit. So unfortunate. It's well bro. Plz do not attempt to eat. Biko!
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by mayormick(m): 12:54pm On Aug 27, 2020
midehill:
Modified
.[b][/b]

Seunh
Tosinkate
Eazie351
Rockeet
Afeezet
Noblebaba
Mayormick

Ouch.....this is very painful bro, I know the feelings loosing a well matured rabbit just like that; unfortunately since it is bloat there is personally not much you can do. As I said yesterday have not really heard any treatment for it, even a close friend lost a doe that just gave birth to bloat last month and it was really painful. The best treatment of bloat is to avoid it totally, unfortunately it can't be too certain the way to avoid it. Personally what I can only advise is to be giving them water a plenty, don't let your greens(leaves) be too much although some people will want to argue against this because they believe it is feed that mostly cause bloat whereas I give my rabbits feeds(identify good ones please) very well. I notice the close friend of mine I mentioned above also gives tridax very well to his rabbits yet he couldn't escape bloating in his rabbits. I give tridax to my rabbits once or twice a week with bitter leaves and combinations of garlic and ginger solution, it is the organic way of taking care of my rabbits without depending much on drugs and is working well for me. Once again, I am very sorry for your loss bro
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2020
mayormick:
Ouch.....this is very painful bro, I know the feelings loosing a well matured rabbit just like that; unfortunately since it is bloat there is personally not much you can do. As I said yesterday have not really heard any treatment for it, even a close friend lost a doe that just gave birth to bloat last month and it was really painful. The best treatment of bloat is to avoid it totally, unfortunately it can't be too certain the way to avoid it. Personally what I can only advise is to be giving them water a plenty, don't let your greens(leaves) be too much although some people will want to argue against this because they believe it is feed that mostly cause bloat whereas I give my rabbits feeds(identify good ones please) very well. I notice the close friend of mine I mentioned above also gives tridax very well to his rabbits yet he couldn't escape bloating in his rabbits. I give tridax to my rabbits once or twice a week with bitter leaves and combinations of garlic and ginger solution, it is the organic way of taking care of my rabbits without depending much on drugs and is working well for me. Once again, I am very sorry for your loss bro

Thanks for ya advice
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 2:53pm On Aug 27, 2020
Newbreed2018:
Oh no please don't. How will it taste in ur mouth knowing fully well u r eating a pet u so much cherish and attached to? Please don't eat this one. Buy another rabbit in the market and eat. I've seen how much u love this bunny. Allow it to die naturally and dispose. For conscience sake.

Modified: I see u lost the rabbit. So unfortunate. It's well bro. Plz do not attempt to eat. Biko!

No i can't eat that...it is dead already
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 2:55pm On Aug 27, 2020
Eazie351:

this kind of occurrence saddens my heart, coming especially from prospective rabbit farmers, i totally understand if you didn't slaughter it... just 4 days ago, my mature HylaNg buck got it's legs stuck in the cage net overnight and it broke it's hind legs trying to struggle out of it...I couldn't bring myself to kill it....my point is...we eventually bond with rabbits cos of the care they demand from us is too high hence the reluctancy to slaughter them when sick.

Forza man! you'll rise again... it's an experience gained for you

Exactly bro... U said it all..i couldnt kill it cus i so much love it...but it is gone anyways
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 2:56pm On Aug 27, 2020
seunH:

I'm so sorry sir, this post just spoilt my mood. By the way, what did the vet tell you was wrong with your rabbit? what did the vet tell you was the name and purpose of the injection/white powder he gave to you? because the vet was supposed to tell you all these things. I'm so sorry once more

He said wen last have i deworm it...i said i dnt know... Mayb datz wat he gave it... Deworm injection...not sure though
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by seunH: 5:35pm On Aug 27, 2020
midehill:

He said wen last have i deworm it...i said i dnt know... Mayb datz wat he gave it... Deworm injection...not sure though
That is rubbish, my brother let me tell you the truth as a veterinarian, most Nigerians don't know their rights and that is why quackery is so prevalent. Sir, it is the duty of the Vet to tell you what exactly he/she thinks is wrong with your pet, tell you the prognosis (chances of survival) and what your options are (does it make sense to treat or just euthanize your pet depending on the value of the pet, cost of treatment and chances of survival?). All these are your rights as a Nigerian when you visit a Vet. But in your case he/she didn't even tell you what was wrong, just asked some few questions, collected 1,500 from you and gave you an unnamed injection/powder and asked you to go. Sincerely that was very unprofessional, that is even if he/she is a Vet. It is such people that are spoiling our profession. I really wish I can return your 1,500 to you and most importantly keep your rabbit alive as much as possible. I'm sorry once more.

2 Likes

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 8:09pm On Aug 27, 2020
seunH:

That is rubbish, my brother let me tell you the truth as a veterinarian, most Nigerians don't know their rights and that is why quackery is so prevalent. Sir, it is the duty of the Vet to tell you what exactly he/she thinks is wrong with your pet, tell you the prognosis (chances of survival) and what your options are (does it make sense to treat or just euthanize your pet depending on the value of the pet, cost of treatment and chances of survival?). All these are your rights as a Nigerian when you visit a Vet. But in your case he/she didn't even tell you what was wrong, just asked some few questions, collected 1,500 from you and gave you an unnamed injection/powder and asked you to go. Sincerely that was very unprofessional, that is even if he/she is a Vet. It is such people that are spoiling our profession. I really wish I can return your 1,500 to you and most importantly keep your rabbit alive as much as possible. I'm sorry once more.

Wooow thank u
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by GideonOludayomi(m): 6:29pm On Aug 28, 2020
midehill:

1) I think it has problem with his teeth.. Because if i force it to eat, it eats from a particular area. Please what can i do about that

2) i use grass and ready made foods.

3) sincerely bro...to breed rabbits no easy ooo

Sorry for responding late.

That is malocclusion. Get plier or preferably cutter and carefully trim that teeth.

Sorry oooo
I just went through the thread and discovered you already lost the rabbit...biko.

When it comes to rabbit, please never rely on a vet doctor(at least 95% of them) Rabbit is one of the 'insignificant' animals they didnt pay attention to during training...

As per bloat, pls stop adding maize to your feed. Again don't feed freshly cut hays immediately. Now in case you use ready made rabbit feeds,be very mindful of the treats you give to them(I advise none at all except hay). To the glory of God, bloating is very rare on my farm.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2020
GideonOludayomi:

Sorry for responding late.

That is malocclusion. Get plier or preferably cutter and carefully trim that teeth.

Sorry oooo
I just went through the thread and discovered you already lost the rabbit...biko.

When it comes to rabbit, please never rely on a vet doctor(at least 95% of them) Rabbit is one of the 'insignificant' animals they didnt pay attention to during training...

As per bloat, pls stop adding maize to your feed. Again don't feed freshly cut hays immediately. Now in case you use ready made rabbit feeds,be very mindful of the treats you give to them(I advise none at all except hay). To the glory of God, bloating is very rare on my farm.

all what you said is 100 percent true, i tink itz bcus of d maize i gave my rabbit and because i do give them freshly cut hays... i also overfeed it...i tink datz d reason y it died...
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Flodel(f): 5:45pm On Aug 30, 2020
Pls help my rabbits and kits are dying, I just notice that they become sluggish and don't feed well, their neck become stiff and tilted to one side then they die. I've lost 17 rabbits now, the rest are not eating well.
I called a vet, he gave them gent injection, said its Newcastle's disease, also gave them a power for their water, this was when I've lost about 10, but now its 17. Pls hep me
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by mfm04622: 7:07pm On Aug 30, 2020
afeezet:
I lost all my rabbit about 30 of them, they said one viral shit is outside, I don't know how I could help them, I was just giving them antiviral drugs and multivitamin
Attached picture of empty home of all my rabbit, thank God I have 2survors

Please don't see them as survivors. They are carriers. Please kill them and disinfect all and everything you use for them thoroughly
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 10:29pm On Aug 31, 2020
Flodel:
Pls help my rabbits and kits are dying, I just notice that they become sluggish and don't feed well, their neck become stiff and tilted to one side then they die. I've lost 17 rabbits now, the rest are not eating well.
I called a vet, he gave them gent injection, said its Newcastle's disease, also gave them a power for their water, this was when I've lost about 10, but now its 17. Pls hep me

haaaa 17, i will advise you create your own thread and call lala to help u to push to front page
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Flodel(f): 7:39am On Sep 01, 2020
midehill:

haaaa 17, i will advise you create your own thread and call lala to help u to push to front page
Thanks I've lost virtuoso all the kits and two female rabbits, its saddening
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by Specialjoe(m): 10:21pm On Sep 01, 2020
pls guys I'm getting a rabbit tomorrow I would like to know things about rabbit like their food, house, litter and so on pls help me. thanks in advance
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by midehill(m): 1:09pm On Sep 02, 2020
Flodel:
Thanks I've lost virtuoso all the kits and two female rabbits, its saddening

Same thing happened to the man i bought my rabbit from...what could be happening
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by TosinKate(f): 8:17pm On May 02, 2021
midehill:

Tosinkate that must have been so painful... Thanks for your previous advice... Can i ask, do u still rear rabbit currently?

Sorry for the late response.

I don't rear rabbit presently but I do a lot of consultations.
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by TosinKate(f): 8:28pm On May 02, 2021
Sorry about this.
Please pardon my late response.

Indeed, bloat should be avoided at all times.

I guess the Vet doc just gives palliative measures. I suspect the white thing he put in the rabbit's mouth is Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and probably he injected antibiotics.

However, another way to manage bloat in rabbits is to remove them from the cage and allow them to exercise. You may try to massage the bowel also, especially the lower part of the bowel, and attempt to force water via syringe into the mouth.
All of these may give relief.

I do not believe the issue of forages causing bloat.
Where I am currently, only forages are given to rabbits and without water. I have tried to convince them to introduce water but none of the farmers agreed. And to be sincere, for over 2 years I have been consulting for these farms, I haven't encountered any case of bloat.

midehill:
Modified
.[b][/b]

Unfortunately, this morning when I went to check my rabbit, I found it dead... It is so painful but what can I do... We move...

My advice to fellow rabbit rearers and farmers...ensure you avoid overfeeding and bloating at all costs... It is very deadly.

Seunh
Tosinkate
Eazie351
Rockeet
Afeezet
Noblebaba
Mayormick

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by mayormick(m): 9:33pm On May 02, 2021
TosinKate:
Sorry about this.
Please pardon my late response.

Indeed, bloat should be avoided at all times.

I guess the Vet doc just gives palliative measures. I suspect the white thing he put in the rabbit's mouth is Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) and probably he injected antibiotics.

However, another way to manage bloat in rabbits is to remove them from the cage and allow them to exercise. You may try to massage the bowel also, especially the lower part of the bowel, and attempt to force water via syringe into the mouth.
All of these may give relief.

I do not believe the issue of forages causing bloat.
Where I am currently, only forages are given to rabbits and without water. I have tried to convince them to introduce water but none of the farmers agreed. And to be sincere, for over 2 years I have been consulting for these farms, I haven't encountered any case of bloat.

pls how does eating of forages only affect the weight of the rabbits, do they gain weight rapidly
Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by TosinKate(f): 5:11am On May 03, 2021
The rabbits will grow normally. However, there must be variety. Like forage of legume, carbohydrate origins. For example, potato vines, cabbage, milk leaves, tridax and many others.

They are all abundant here regardless of the season, which I see as the major reason why the farmers prefer and solely use them. Even other farm animals as well, e.g. cattle, goat and sheep. With the forage, their feces (waste) are always much compared to when you give them concentrate. This is due to the high fiber content that helps in bowel movement.

In my own opinion, I have not done any scientific research on it, it improves the meat quality of the rabbit. This is just base of comparison during consumption.

mayormick:
pls how does eating of forages only affect the weight of the rabbits, do they gain weight rapidly

1 Like

Re: Please What Is Wrong With My Rabbit? by mayormick(m): 11:23am On May 03, 2021
TosinKate:
The rabbits will grow normally. However, there must be variety. Like forage of legume, carbohydrate origins. For example, potato vines, cabbage, milk leaves, tridax and many others.

They are all abundant here regardless of the season, which I see as the major reason why the farmers prefer and solely use them. Even other farm animals as well, e.g. cattle, goat and sheep. With the forage, their feces (waste) are always much compared to when you give them concentrate. This is due to the high fiber content that helps in bowel movement.

In my own opinion, I have not done any scientific research on it, it improves the meat quality of the rabbit. This is just base of comparison during consumption.

Alright thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

"My Kinsmen Are Killing My Snakes" - Ebonyi Man Cries Out! / Dog Gets Stuck While Attempting To Jump Over A Gate. See Photos / Big Monkey Shot Dead In Ogun State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.