Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,066 members, 7,807,195 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa (48608 Views)

Tecno Phones And Prices In Nigeria 2024 / 10 Phones With 5000mah Battery Capacity In Nigeria / Tecno Phones Are Not Working In USA, See Instant Solutions! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Opiosko: 6:29pm On Aug 25, 2020
It's an open secret that Chinese companies can not be trusted on quality and security issues. But there's a limit you would expect them to go. It does however, seems like they are ready to descend to the lowest hell if that would make profit for them.

At a time when America is mobilising the West not to use China-linked companies in 5G network, and banning Chinese tech like Tiktok, one would expect them to be more accountable. Apparently, they are turning to Africa to continue with their nefarious activities.

Only God knows how many companies are engaged in many of the evils China is exporting.

Malware which signed users up to subscription services without their permission has been found on thousands of mobiles sold in Africa.

Anti-fraud firm Upstream found the malicious code on 53,000 Tecno handsets, sold in Ethiopia, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana and South Africa.

Manufacturer Transsion told Buzzfeed it was installed in the supply chain without its knowledge.

Upstream said it was taking advantage of the "most vulnerable".

"The fact that the malware arrives pre-installed on handsets that are bought in their millions by typically low-income households tells you everything you need to know about what the industry is currently up against," said Geoffrey Cleaves, head of Upstream's Secure-D platform.

The Triada malware found by the firm on the Android smartphones installs malicious code known as xHelper which then finds subscription services and submits fraudulent requests on behalf of users, doing so invisibly and without the user's knowledge.

If the request is successful, it consumes pre-paid airtime, the only way to pay for digital services in many developing countries.

In total, Upstream found what it described as "suspicious activity" on more than 200,000 Tecno smartphones.

According to research firm IDC, Transsion Holdings is one of China's leading phone manufacturers and in Africa it is the top-selling mobile manufacturer.

In response Tecno Mobile said that the issue was "an old and solved mobile security issue globally" to which it issued a fix in March 2018.

"For current W2 consumers that are potentially facing Triada issues now, they are highly recommended to download the over-the-air fix through their phone for installation or contact Tecno's after-sales service support for assistance in any questions," the firm told the BBC in a statement.

It added that it is attached "great importance to consumers' data security and product safety".

"Every single software installed on each device runs through a series of rigorous security checks, such as our own security scan platform," it added.
Common problem

At the beginning of the year, security firm Malwarebytes warned that similar pre-installed apps were found on another Chinese Android phone - the UMX U686CL. This handset was offered to low-income families in the US via a government scheme.

And in 2016, researcher Ryan Johnson found that more than 700 million Android smartphones had malware installed.

Google, which developed the Android operating system, is aware of the issue.

In a blog written last year it blamed third-party vendors, used by manufacturers to install features such as face unlock, for pre-installing Triada malware.

It said it had worked with manufacturers to remove the threat from devices

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53903436.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by 100naira(m): 6:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
Nawa ooo,

What is wrong with the Chinese na?

56 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by primestreams: 6:52pm On Aug 25, 2020
grin

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by garugaru: 9:32pm On Aug 25, 2020
Xiaomi is very much guilty of this shît, they took close to 5h from me, every time I change my sim something would just pop up and next thing I know 50 naira gone (a service to verify mi message I think) i had to disable some system app from getting sms permission

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by HeartOfPraise: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Too bad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Teewhy2: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
I think that is why the ones that can afford it sticks with iPhone and Samsung.
Those things are not found in Nigeria because the government doesn't care about the citizens and the manufacturers know that everything goes so far they have settled the necessary people.

Are you planning to do a roof parapet?
Check out details of our polystyrene parapet installation, it is light, fast to install and durable.
Prefect for land which doesn't much loads and renovation works.
Click below

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/16

62 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Transsion holdings

8 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by poiunt: 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lol

Sha make dem dey spy and steal info.

Cheap phones users do not even understand malwares

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by jaeyking(m): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
tecno and its brothers are guilty of this.

9 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Imustreturn(m): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Chinese tufia

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by drunkpunk(m): 9:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
Checking...

9 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by yesloaded: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by OBAGADAFFI: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
This is not new

Most of our BTS, Swithes , Routers and NOC equiptment are either Huawei or ZTE.

These companies have have uor information aan data.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
By now we should know that China is heading for the next world power, just a matter of time they will have that power. For a long time the western countries have dominated the world.

Africa is the dinner table, its China time to feed, feed well on Africa China.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 25, 2020
Chinese people will produce something at a relatively cheap price for you, then go ahead to clone your products only to come and be dragging prospective customers with you by offering the same products at a comparatively lesser selling price to the one you are offering which they created for you in the first place cheesy

Those people business practices is anyhow cheesy

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by jericco1(m): 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
Thank God I don't use Tecno. Very soon I'll stop using Chinese branded devices altogetherundecided undecided

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Slawormir: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
You see why i will always recommend Samsung, iPhone and Nokia anyday anytime twice on Tuesday

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Birdeyeview: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
I think the niggarrr above has something better to say

8 Likes

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Jasseyfrd(m): 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
grin. oohh there was a country.
Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by titiakins: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
Lots of African countries have complained about this

I'm surprise we are just hearing about it in Nigeria

I don't understand why the Chinese are like this

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by horsepower102: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
This is the price you pay if you dont manufacture your own technologies. I thought some people were saying USA was hating on china when they banned Hauwei.

SPYWARES were also found in the African Union building that the Chinese built for Africans.

This is the classic Greek gift.

141 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by GeneralPula: 9:55pm On Aug 25, 2020
Even tho, I don’t use them china phones.. I always knew face unlock is definitely one coded tools for these folks.. I’ve never used it even on iPhone..

The best way to lock and unlock your phone is either via password or pin. Even finger prints, I don’t trust em.

This is another reason why people should desist from taking their naked pictures..

China nah one evil country. But I love the fact that they’re displaying the disadvantages of technology to the whole world..

Phones are not just called mobile phones anymore but smart phone.. It means you gotta be smart with whatever you wanna do with your phone!!

Wish Black berry and Nokia fit comes back to market.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by GamalNasser: 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
All of them do this certainly

1 Like

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by MsAllison(f): 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
not lie
you'll get a phone
it'll popping up ads like crazy
downloading and installing strange apps and woe betide you if you load airtime it'll be sending sms till your airtime finish.
if you don't know how to root then you're stucked

i can never leave Samsung again even though stock android is the best but I love one UI 2.0

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by badaru911: 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Tecno..... Yes to that one..

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by techmo(m): 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Shitty tecno must be there

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by Igbonekwuokigwe(f): 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bye

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa by martineverest(m): 9:56pm On Aug 25, 2020
this shouldn't be a surprise na....ALL Chinese phones come with spyware and malwares

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anyone Can Withdraw Money Without Knowing Your ATM PIN / Infinix Launches Infinix Hot 4 And Now Selling At Cheap Rate / My Best 30 Offline Android And IOS Games So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.