Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,845 members, 7,806,386 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

My Experience With Overheating - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Experience With Overheating (623 Views)

Help Me Find A Permanent Solution To My Overheating Car / Overheating Lexus Es330 2005model / You Should Never Remove Your Car Thermostat To Avoid Overheating. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 12:09am On Aug 26, 2020
On my way home from ikoyi ( I stay at agbado ijoko area) just past jungle bust stop I heard an explosive sound from my engine and saw steam coming out of my bonnet, my first thought was "haaa mogbe they have finally caught up with me". Let me say this, Nigerians have no chill for you when your car breaks down in hold up.
So I got down amid the horns and swears and push my Benz w210 e class to the shoulder of the road sweating profusely ( that car weighs like a tank). I opened the bonnet and breathed a sigh of relief as it wasn't over hearing or something like I feared, it was the water hose that led from the engine to the radiator that burst open, so I went to fagba and got a mechanic and he started it and took it to his garage and the hunt for a hose started

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 12:10am On Aug 26, 2020
Pictures aren't loading oo, saying file too large. Would try to shrink it tomorrow morning
Re: My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 12:19am On Aug 26, 2020
So we finally got a hose at the spare part market at fagba, though it wasn't the correct size so the excess was cut off. After fixing it I paid him off and started the car, it was already getting to 8 by that time.
I had not driven for 20mins when I noticed the temperature was rising up to 100 degree and I was like who did I offend today? Parked and opened up the bonnet and saw that the engine fan wasn't working again ( I still don't know whether it was the fan stopping that burst the hose or the bursting of the hose that spilled hot water on the electric fan and spoilt it).
So I had to result to what I learnt from my dad. Opened the radiator cover and waited until the temperature went below 60 then I topped the water and started without closing the radiator cover.
Brethren that was how I was starting and stopping till the man of God reached agbado oo.
This is my first experience with over heating and I pray that it's the last.

Tomorrow I am going to change all the water hose to new one or good tokumbo, cause if one failed the others can. Am just thankful it didn't happen at third mainland bridge

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Overheating by Peppermintflav: 12:27am On Aug 26, 2020
The problem is obviously your fan that stopped working.
Re: My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 12:35am On Aug 26, 2020
Peppermintflav:
The problem is obviously your fan that stopped working.
do fan just spoil like that without warning? Like no noise
Re: My Experience With Overheating by Peppermintflav: 12:39am On Aug 26, 2020
justiniyke29:
do fan just spoil like that without warning? Like no noise
Yes of course. Or maybe the fuse cut. Your electrical guy will know better.
Re: My Experience With Overheating by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:49am On Aug 26, 2020
justiniyke29:
So we finally got a hose at the spare part market at fagba, though it wasn't the correct size so the excess was cut off. After fixing it I paid him off and started the car, it was already getting to 8 by that time.
I had not driven for 20mins when I noticed the temperature was rising up to 100 degree and I was like who did I offend today? Parked and opened up the bonnet and saw that the engine fan wasn't working again ( I still don't know whether it was the fan stopping that burst the hose or the bursting of the hose that spilled hot water on the electric fan and spoilt it).
So I had to result to what I learnt from my dad. Opened the radiator cover and waited until the temperature went below 60 then I topped the water and started without closing the radiator cover.
Brethren that was how I was starting and stopping till the man of God reached agbado oo.
This is my first experience with over heating and I pray that it's the last.

Tomorrow I am going to change all the water hose to new one or good tokumbo, cause if one failed the others can. Am just thankful it didn't happen at third mainland bridge

it over heated becoz of an air lock, when the a new pipe was installed you were meant to bleed the system, i understand that it was on the side road but he was meant to be patience let the car idlle while you bleed aka letting out the air into the system

what you need to do know is properly bleed the car otherwise you ended with blown head gasket

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 2:25am On Aug 26, 2020
ZIMDRILL:

it over heated becoz of an air lock, when the a new pipe was installed you were meant to bleed the system, i understand that it was on the side road but he was meant to be patience let the car idlle while you bleed aka letting out the air into the system

what you need to do know is properly bleed the car otherwise you ended with blown head gasket
is the bleeding something i can do myself? and if not, how do i know the mechanic has bled it well?
Re: My Experience With Overheating by justiniyke29: 2:27am On Aug 26, 2020
Peppermintflav:

Yes of course. Or maybe the fuse cut. Your electrical guy will know better.
Okay, would know better tomorrow when they look at it
Re: My Experience With Overheating by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:34am On Aug 26, 2020
justiniyke29:
is the bleeding something i can do myself? and if not, how do i know the mechanic has bled it well?

yes you can if the bleeding nipple is there if not you open the expansion tank cap or the radiator cap and let it idle while the heating system in cab is on high

though evey car bleeding system is different

(1) (Reply)

Urgent: Lexus Rx350 2009 Or Toyota Rav4 2015 / Car Gurus In The House To My Rescue / Your Trustworthy And Reliable Clearing Agent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.